HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

McGuire on Price

Old
01-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Makarov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Hey guys, remember draft day 2005...when the Habs took Price, Peter Mcguire says, that is a HUGE error in judgement on behalf of the Montreal Canadiens...take what Peter says with a grain of salt, he blows with the wind...he flip flops more than Andre Racicot...Personally, I think Price was, and still is an excellent pick, but with goalies, it always seems hard to tell until they play 25-30 games in the NHL...
At the end of the day, we passed on Anze Kopitar...

Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Hey guys, remember draft day 2005...when the Habs took Price, Peter Mcguire says, that is a HUGE error in judgement on behalf of the Montreal Canadiens...take what Peter says with a grain of salt, he blows with the wind...he flip flops more than Andre Racicot...Personally, I think Price was, and still is an excellent pick, but with goalies, it always seems hard to tell until they play 25-30 games in the NHL...
No, no, no...you all have it wrong. Pierre said he thought Price was a good goaltending prospect, but questioned the pick because the Habs (at the time) had Theodore with the hope of keeping him for a long time and Yann Danis (a solid prospect at the time) in the system. He then said Montreal would have been better off addressing other needs like defence and suggested Marc Staal would have been better at No. 5.

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
theirs a feature on PRICE on TSN...in the video section, done by james Cybulski

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill View Post
No, no, no...you all have it wrong. Pierre said he thought Price was a good goaltending prospect, but questioned the pick because the Habs (at the time) had Theodore with the hope of keeping him for a long time and Yann Danis (a solid prospect at the time) in the system. He then said Montreal would have been better off addressing other needs like defence and suggested Marc Staal would have been better at No. 5.
I think the bigger sticking point at that time was the new UFA age from the CBA. McGuire's point was that if a young goalie like Price comes through Montreal's system he'd have to play backup for a long while, and we'd only get 4-5 years of him at the top of his game.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
and at the end of the day, every NHL team passed on Andrei Markov.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
his justification was that the habs were small at forward.

He believed that the habs should have taken Jack Skille

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 09:33 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I was hoping that the Habs were going to take Kopitar. Given their needs [both present and future] they clearly needed some size at centre in the system. Do you think a Kopitar-Kovalev-Samsonov line would like nice for the Habs now?

Personally, I believe that the Habs decided to go with a "safer" pick with Price. Kopitar was a higher risk pick coming from Slovania, and not having as much exposure in his draft year as players like Price, Gilbert Brule or Luc Bourdon. They gambled two seasons previous with Kostsitsyn, then went with a safer pick with Chipchurra the previous season.

Quote:

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Ford Prefect

Can you imagine if Anaheim had any sense and took Johnson at number 2? In 2 years they'd have a top 3 of Pronger, Niedermeyer, Johnson... That looks like it COULD be as good as (or even better than) our D from the '70s (Robinson, Lapointe, and Savard).

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Can you imagine if Anaheim had any sense and took Johnson at number 2? In 2 years they'd have a top 3 of Pronger, Niedermeyer, Johnson... That looks like it COULD be as good as (or even better than) our D from the '70s (Robinson, Lapointe, and Savard).
Yeah, but if Anaheim had Johnson he definitely would of went to the Oilers for Pronger, I couldn’t see it working out any other way.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
So did a few other teams...if Price becomes a good NHL goalie, as Kopitar has become a good NHL rookie, it's all a moot point...What bothered me about Peter's comment was, that he seemed to think that he was, and is smarter than BG and Trevor Timmins...that of course explains why he is a cheerleader on TSN...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Price will not be a flop. The way he is built makes it pretty hard.

He's big, unlike any of the aforementioned goaltenders. He's positionally sound. He has great pads, glove hand, and is quick. He also has a calm demeanor.
Not saying Price is going to bust, but Carey was a big goalie who had a great glove had too.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Price will not be a flop. The way he is built makes it pretty hard.

He's big, unlike any of the aforementioned goaltenders. He's positionally sound. He has great pads, glove hand, and is quick. He also has a calm demeanor.
Not saying Price is going to bust, but Carey was a big goalie who had a great glove had too. It's just too hard to tell with goalies.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Tusk

Apparently it's redundantly hard with goalies.

Old
01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
While I was pulling for Kopitar as well, like I was pulling for Getzlaf in 2003, for the need of skilled centermen with size, we were not the only ones to pass on Anze. And I know some teams that might regret it more than we do (Columbus (Brule who?), San Jose (Setoguchi???), Ottawa (Lee, awful tournament so far), 'Nucks (Bourdon....will see...).

I like Skille a lot so Chicago might have done a great choice but the others, and now compared to the Price pick might look worst than ours....And what about Staal? If you really want a d-man, is Bourdon and Lee really better than Staal, I don't think so....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Not saying Price is going to bust, but Carey was a big goalie who had a great glove had too. It's just too hard to tell with goalies.
First, the use of Jim Carey in any HF thread is so overused as to become cliché. He is, as we say in French, the exception who confirms the rule.

Second, what separates Price from other goalies, based on the picture so far, is not just physical tools, but his mental strength, which in particular differentiates him from other big goalies with a great glove, and above all, Jim Carey, who embodies an utter lack of mental strength.

That said, I'd rather not get too enthusiastic, and let Price make his own case in the NHL, on his own timeline.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 05:30 PM
guest1467

I would of been happy with both picks, Kopitar would have been a great short-term solution though as he would of addressed our biggest concern right now. But watching Price at the WJC this year has impressed me quite considerably, I think he will be a very good goalie for years to come.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Blades 0f Steel

When people compare Kopitar and Price I have to bring up the UFA status once more. Kopitar looks to be far and away the better value because he's bringing a ton of offense to LA for 7 years. The Habs will be lucky to have Price at the top of his game for 4.

Old
01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Not to mention he can play the puck VERY WELL.
Just double checking, but didn't you start a huge thread in November about how vastly superior Kopitar will be to Price??

Old
01-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
When people compare Kopitar and Price I have to bring up the UFA status once more. Kopitar looks to be far and away the better value because he's bringing a ton of offense to LA for 7 years. The Habs will be lucky to have Price at the top of his game for 4.
It's not inconceivable that they'll sign him again. What's the urgency?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
It's not inconceivable that they'll sign him again. What's the urgency?
The point is there's a risk of losing the player.

Old
01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Tusk

You can risk losing any player, free-agency is younger now, it sucks for every good player you develop. It's out of our control, and you never know how a player will develop, Kopitar is an exception, it's hard to project the productivity of a young player, as well, it's only like 35 games in to Anze's career, who the hell knows what the future holds. I understand maybe being concerned about free-agent status, but at the same time, so be it, it's now a part of the game and we have to accept it.