HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mon., Dec. 2, 2013| Flyers 0 at Wild 2

Old
12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
As an aside, NJ and NYR were also playing tonight and both lost. So, on one hand they both lost but on the other hand if we won tonight it would have done a lot for the standings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
Watching sportsnight and giroux thought the team played a good game... How can you play good and lay an egg on the scoreboard?
Even the radio team said neither team was playing well and that was before Minnesota scored any goals. I understand that players can't easily insult the team or get down on themselves, but saying it was a good game when it was anything but does annoy me.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Whatever the issues may be, one thing is pretty clear to me. This team is just not the right mix of players. Something about them, I don't even know what it is, which is scary because I don't know where to start. Something is off with this team. They had a decent stretch, largely because mason is a mad man, but that doesn't change the GLARING issues. I'm keeping Giroux, Couturier and Mason and I'm literally putting EVERYONE else on the table for discussion.
exactly...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
That's my point. I'm on record of this before, but I've never been a big fan of Hartnell because he doesn't contribute anything outside of goals even when he was scoring them.

My point is that Hartnell has always been this bad or at least not all that good outside of his specialty areas so this is nothing new. It's just that he's not scoring many goals so that lack of use outside of goal scoring is more evident and more of a problem. Our offense also isn't potent enough to help Hartnell or Simmonds do their thing since their thing revolves around burying goals.

Maybe it's just me though.
Nope, not just you, I agree 100%.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
People need to quit complaining about the refs because Minnesota is a good team and played a good game. I only wish the Flyers had a player like Suter on this team. He was quietly playing huge minutes and top notch none flashy hockey.

The Flyers just need Vinny to stay healthy because when he is out that 2nd line doesn't produce near enough. I like the 1st and 3rd line in their roles, but the 2nd line is the one that needs to get the opportunities against the weaker competition and that doesn't seem to happen much without Vinny in the line up.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Whatever the issues may be, one thing is pretty clear to me. This team is just not the right mix of players. Something about them, I don't even know what it is, which is scary because I don't know where to start. Something is off with this team. They had a decent stretch, largely because mason is a mad man, but that doesn't change the GLARING issues. I'm keeping Giroux, Couturier and Mason and I'm literally putting EVERYONE else on the table for discussion.
Mason being a mad man, and the fact our ease of schedule against other mediocre teams. That streak is looking like smoke and mirrors.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Mason being a mad man, and the fact our ease of schedule against other mediocre teams. That streak is looking like smoke and mirrors.
Well aside from all that there's the Couturier line too. Mason got a lot of credit for the Nashville win, but Couturier got the tying goal that game and prior to that game he was amazing at shutting down the opposing top lines and controlling the play.

I've said it before, but this is essentially a two or three man team with Mason and Couturier and Giroux plus the easy schedule that seemed to coincide with our brief bout of winning plays a factor as well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Wild deserved the win... but the clutch and grab and interference was absurd at times, especially on zone entry, ofc you can stand a guy up, but what was happening goes beyond what is accepted normally.

Watched the game with my brother, who came round as he is a Wild fan (not die hard, but watches maybe 30 games a year at ~1 in the morning, so he cares!) and he went to bed after the 2nd saying he could not watch the crap and it was a complete waste of his sleeping time.

Actually kind of annoying as I don't get to catch up with him as much as I would like even though we see a lot of each other we get little time with just me and him... thanks a bunch Minny!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:32 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
As an aside, NJ and NYR were also playing tonight and both lost. So, on one hand they both lost but on the other hand if we won tonight it would have done a lot for the standings.

Even the radio team said neither team was playing well and that was before Minnesota scored any goals. I understand that players can't easily insult the team or get down on themselves, but saying it was a good game when it was anything but does annoy me.
I understand the not throwing the team under the bus route. But he's gotta at least throw the we gotta be better line in there. G seemed totally complacent with the effort and while again I didn't see the game I don't see how they gave a good effort and got shutout.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
I understand the not throwing the team under the bus route. But he's gotta at least throw the we gotta be better line in there. G seemed totally complacent with the effort and while again I didn't see the game I don't see how they gave a good effort and got shutout.
So because he doesn't say it to the media he must not care about whether the effort was good enough or not? How can you even say the effort was worth mentioning if you didn't see the game...?

Old
12-02-2013, 11:17 PM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

Bring kovalchuk out of retirement

FrankM95149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:23 PM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

There's probably some rule saying he can't, but we could at least give him a call haha

Old
12-02-2013, 11:32 PM
RussianRocket10

It's probably because we didn't score and played bad but that game felt incredibly boring.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM95149 View Post
There's probably some rule saying he can't, but we could at least give him a call haha
I believe he has to stay retired for a year?

12-02-2013, 11:36 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
So because he doesn't say it to the media he must not care about whether the effort was good enough or not? How can you even say the effort was worth mentioning if you didn't see the game...?
Hm judging from the box score we were lucky to be tied after 2, they scored two quick goals finally, and then we threw everything on net to tie the game in shots. If I'm off base here please tell me. I don't see how you get shutout and think the effort was there.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM95149 View Post
Bring kovalchuk out of retirement
game changer!

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:44 PM
SuchySays

call Zherdev

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:44 PM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I believe he has to stay retired for a year?
We'll get Betman to rearrange the rules for us....

Old
12-02-2013, 11:46 PM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
call Zherdev
Sami Kapanen

Old
12-02-2013, 11:53 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

I really don't think effort was an issue tonight. I'm not going to do any research (), but I imagine Minnesota is one of the better defensive teams in the league, so when you get chances you've got to bury them and unfortunately the Flyers have been struggling in that area most of the season.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Giroux needs at least one player on his line who can do something out there. Voracek has his moments but he's obviously not much of a goal scorer. And then there's Hartnell...need I say more? Can we undo the L. Schenn/JVR trade? But seriously, why do the Flyers have a bunch of players that can't shoot?

Last edited by OgbertTheNerd: 12-03-2013 at 12:01 AM.
OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Hm judging from the box score we were lucky to be tied after 2, they scored two quick goals finally, and then we threw everything on net to tie the game in shots. If I'm off base here please tell me. I don't see how you get shutout and think the effort was there.
It's not like they got outplayed all game, they were constantly (and I literally mean constantly) being interfered with and hooked. They were some of the most blatant penalties that I've ever seen not called. The Wild are a trap team but then on top of that they got away with everything for the first 50 minutes of the game. They could barely get into the offensive zone without being dragged down and they were being interfered with before they could even get to the puck along the boards. I was literally sitting there just shaking my head at some points.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:00 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
call Zherdev
**** that guy!

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:03 AM
FrankM95149
Rakim is GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
**** that guy!
At least the guy can hit!

Old
12-03-2013, 12:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Akeson deserves a shot. This team needs offensive creativity, and they have guys that can shelter his defensive deficiencies.
3 goals in 20 games in the AHL. plus hes is a -7. How does he deserve a shot?
Personally I agree they need to get Mcginn back into the lineup. he has shown he can play on a scoring line and play fairly well.
I dont think Hartnell is going anywhere. His trade value is at an alltime low right now and the organization loves him. So he can continue to turn on the suck and get a free pass

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
3 goals in 20 games in the AHL. plus hes is a -7. How does he deserve a shot?
Personally I agree they need to get Mcginn back into the lineup. he has shown he can play on a scoring line and play fairly well.
I dont think Hartnell is going anywhere. His trade value is at an alltime low right now and the organization loves him. So he can continue to turn on the suck and get a free pass
I don't think either Akeson or McGinn are what we need right now. Akeson is a pass first guy like Giroux/Voracek and McGinn is a Hartnell type player. We need someone who can shoot.

From what I've heard Straka has a great shot so maybe he would be a good choice for a call up, even if it's just for a short tryout. I know he's not exactly putting up a lot of points in the AHL but if his shot is good then maybe he could be useful playing with Giroux.

Honestly, I'm down to try anything right now that includes a new LW on the first line...

Old
12-03-2013, 12:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't think either Akeson or McGinn are what we need right now. Akeson is a pass first guy like Giroux/Voracek and McGinn is a Hartnell type player. We need someone who can shoot.

From what I've heard Straka has a great shot so maybe he would be a good choice for a call up, even if it's just for a short tryout. I know he's not exactly putting up a lot of points in the AHL but if his shot is good then maybe he could be useful playing with Giroux.

Honestly, I'm down to try anything right now that includes a new LW on the first line...
Had not thought of Straka. But I also dont know how the organization views him. It doesnt seem to be the "MO" of the Flyers to call up someone because a shakeup or however you want to call it is needed. They are going to continue to roll out what they have and hope they break out of this season long funk.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote