HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

USHL to return to Thunder Bay?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2013, 09:46 AM
  #1
ECS Scout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
USHL to return to Thunder Bay?

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=19823

When you look at the USHL announcing a return to Madison Wisconsin, a return to Thunder Bay does not seem out of the question. Interestingly enough, Madison was also an expansion team in 1984, the same year that Thunder Bay entered the USHL. Coincidence?

Now factor in that a few people within the SIJHL are saying Thunder Bay is rumored to be going back to the USHL and you have the makings of some serious smoke, and where there is smoke……

ECS Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 10:02 AM
  #2
nosl
Registered User
 
nosl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baie Nordique (NO)
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Calibre / Conflict

I recall USHL teams playing against major junior clubs in Canada during exhibition games. Does this league compare to the major junior level? If so, does this potentially impact certain CHL teams' ability to recruit players out of Northwestern Ontario?

If the USHL is considering Thunder Bay, I wonder if the league would consider scooping up one of the largest markets in Canada without major junior or equivalent level hockey, that being Winnipeg. With Fargo being relatively close by, and Thunder Bay rumoured, it could make sense geographically.

I also wonder if expansion into canadian markets would ever cause conflict with the CHL.

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 06:47 AM
  #3
jayme2017
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosl View Post
I recall USHL teams playing against major junior clubs in Canada during exhibition games. Does this league compare to the major junior level? If so, does this potentially impact certain CHL teams' ability to recruit players out of Northwestern Ontario?

If the USHL is considering Thunder Bay, I wonder if the league would consider scooping up one of the largest markets in Canada without major junior or equivalent level hockey, that being Winnipeg. With Fargo being relatively close by, and Thunder Bay rumoured, it could make sense geographically.

I also wonder if expansion into canadian markets would ever cause conflict with the CHL.
I think at some point were going to see the Chl and Ushl merge.

jayme2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
  #4
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2017 View Post
I think at some point were going to see the Chl and Ushl merge.

Ummm....no, unless the NCAA does a complete 180!
What would the odds of that ever happening?....zero!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:12 AM
  #5
jayme2017
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Ummm....no, unless the NCAA does a complete 180!
What would the odds of that ever happening?....zero!
I would not say zero in fact i give it a real good chance.

jayme2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:32 AM
  #6
ottawafan66
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2017 View Post
I would not say zero in fact i give it a real good chance.
A good chance? Seriously? How do you see a merger working? Three CHL leagues and one USHL league. Factor in the NCAA rules. Not going to happen.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:52 PM
  #7
jayme2017
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
A good chance? Seriously? How do you see a merger working? Three CHL leagues and one USHL league. Factor in the NCAA rules. Not going to happen.
If you look at the Ushl what if some teams left for the Chl that would have a real big impact now what if the Ushl did merge and were the American League of the Chl that would be a win win now saying it will happen but its possible.

jayme2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 04:32 PM
  #8
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2017 View Post
If you look at the Ushl what if some teams left for the Chl that would have a real big impact now what if the Ushl did merge and were the American League of the Chl that would be a win win now saying it will happen but its possible.
Im not sure if you're aware of one of the major reasons why the USHL was formed. It allowed players to play junior hockey in the US, With there different rules from the CHL rules their players don't lose their NCAA eligibility. If these players were to play one game against a CHL team they would lose their NCAA eligibility.

A merger isn't in the cards now or in the future unless the NCAA were to change their rules. We all know that day isn't going to come for a mighty long time!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.