HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
11-30-2013, 12:09 PM
durrrr

vCash: 500
AcidJazz, I'm in Saskatchewan too and I feel your pain; so hard to find good deals here.

That said, I found an RBK 20K for $130 yesterday and I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to try it out!

durrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 06:06 PM
KelownaRocketsFan
almostcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrrr View Post
AcidJazz, I'm in Saskatchewan too and I feel your pain; so hard to find good deals here.

That said, I found an RBK 20K for $130 yesterday and I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to try it out!
They have it at Sportchek for $99 at the moment!

KelownaRocketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Haven't posted in here for a while but here's an update..

LOVED:
Vapour XXXX 100 flex Malkin curve
SE16 100 flex Drury curve (last heel curve I tried, never gone back to one)
S17 100 flex Sakic curve (deadly wrist and snap shots - not so much clappers)
Total One 100 flex Toews curve
8.0.8 100 flex Crosby curve
RBZ 85 flex Landeskog curve (really wish I waited until PHL had 100 flex in)

DECENT:
11K 100 flex Crosby curve
AI9 100 flex Crosby and Datsyuk curve (broke Crosby curve on warranty, tried a Datsyuk and didn't like it as much)

HATED:
S19 100 flex Sakic curve (just didn't have the same kick - had a hard time raising the puck and my shot is the best part of my game)

The RBZ was the last stick I bought. I've tried the Stage 2 out in the rapid shot but I think I prefer the RBZ. I'm looking to get back into a mid kick and really like the Ribcor but I also might just get another RBZ in 100 flex because I love the white blade so much.

Last edited by Joey Moss: 11-30-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Watch for the Yeti
14 more wins!

I have the Warrior Covert DT5LT INT 55 flex Henrique curve. I haven't tried it out yet, I have tryouts on Monday.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:56 AM
hockeyjack89
Thrashers

I like to use Bauer. Right now I have a TotalOne with Kane (P88) curve, no grip, around 77 flex after cutting a little off, right handed. I absolutely love it, I have noticed that the stick has lost a little of it's pop but I've had it for about a year so that's expected. I've also used Easton, Warrior and Mission before. I don't remember all of the details of the sticks but as far as curves go, with Easton I used Iginla, Warrior I used Fedorov, and Mission I used Boyes. I don't really have a stick I've hated, there are some I liked more than others but I've liked them all!

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:09 AM
kamosko
btz's best friend

vCash: 50
I've been through a couple different sticks over the years lol

Reebok 4K 85 Flex Crosby (One of my first sticks, was okay)
Bauer Vapor X:20 85 Flex Kane (One of my first sticks, didn't like it)
Reebok Ai.3 85 Flex Crosby (Hated, broke)
Warrior Swizzle 85 Flex Savard (Liked it, still got it)
Warrior Widow 100 Flex Kovalev (Loved, broke)
Warrior Bentley 85 Flex Kovalev (Hated, use it for ball hockey)

Easton Stealth S19 75 Flex Sakic (Didn't like, sold)
Sherwood T90 85 Flex Stastny (Didn't like, sold)
Easton Stealth RS 85 Flex Iginla (Liked it, broke)

Bauer TotalOne NXG 112 Flex Stamkos (Current)

Just ordered an 11k 110 Flex Phaneuf, eager to test it out on the ice.

Would like to try out a RBZ or Warrior Covert DT1 but I'm good with what I got right now.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 05:12 AM
kiddynamite91

I've always been a fan of Easton sticks.
Ive used the original Synergy (100 flex, Modano) didn't like it (sold it), Si core (100 flex,Iginla) broke the blade half way through the season, Si core grip (85 flex, Modano) broke the blade just after the warranty expired, Stealth cnt grip (85 flex, Sakic) my favourite stick and it lasted 1.5 seasons before I broke the blade (been looking for one ever since...), Se16 grip (85 flex Sakic) hated it (sold it), S17 (85 flex, Sakic) broke the shaft half way through the season), S19 (85 flex, Hall) has lasted a while but its no stealth cnt... still a very good stick.
Looking for something closer to the Stealth cnt than the s19 which I think has been the closest but still not as good.

kiddynamite91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:47 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post
I've been through a couple different sticks over the years lol

Reebok 4K 85 Flex Crosby (One of my first sticks, was okay)
Bauer Vapor X:20 85 Flex Kane (One of my first sticks, didn't like it)
Reebok Ai.3 85 Flex Crosby (Hated, broke)
Warrior Swizzle 85 Flex Savard (Liked it, still got it)
Warrior Widow 100 Flex Kovalev (Loved, broke)
Warrior Bentley 85 Flex Kovalev (Hated, use it for ball hockey)

Easton Stealth S19 75 Flex Sakic (Didn't like, sold)
Sherwood T90 85 Flex Stastny (Didn't like, sold)
Easton Stealth RS 85 Flex Iginla (Liked it, broke)

Bauer TotalOne NXG 112 Flex Stamkos (Current)

Just ordered an 11k 110 Flex Phaneuf, eager to test it out on the ice.

Would like to try out a RBZ or Warrior Covert DT1 but I'm good with what I got right now.
Why such a huge range of flexes?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
kamosko
btz's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Why such a huge range of flexes?
Just tried a bit of everything to see what I liked.

I prefer an 85 flex but I bought my nxg off a friend for cheap so I can't complain about the 112.

Last edited by kamosko: 12-01-2013 at 04:43 PM.
kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:45 PM
durrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
They have it at Sportchek for $99 at the moment!
That's where I bought it! Seriously, Saskatchewan has to be the worst for hockey stick prices.

durrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Been trying to shoot a little more from the toe lately, just to see if that helps the accuracy. Seems better in practice, not much in games.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
I like to use Bauer. Right now I have a TotalOne with Kane (P88) curve, no grip, around 77 flex after cutting a little off, right handed. I absolutely love it, I have noticed that the stick has lost a little of it's pop but I've had it for about a year so that's expected. I've also used Easton, Warrior and Mission before. I don't remember all of the details of the sticks but as far as curves go, with Easton I used Iginla, Warrior I used Fedorov, and Mission I used Boyes. I don't really have a stick I've hated, there are some I liked more than others but I've liked them all!
Do you use intermediate? I just got and AXP and it's originally a 77 flex but I had to cut it down to a now 84 flex.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
sanityplease

Titan
Cooper
Easton aluminum
About 100 Sherwood featherlites
Nike Quest?
Reebok 9k Datsyuk
Reebok 11k Datsyuk
S7 Iginla 100 (way too stiff)
Mako m3 I Hall
Mako m5 II Hall

Using Easton 65sII's grip Hall. Love the grip & flex profile, especially for the price point. Usually a quick loaded wrist shot guy. I've had no problems with durability from the Eastons.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:55 PM
OpenIceHit42

I fell in love with the Warrior AK-27’s. Purchased a 3 pack from HM, went through all three and of course when I went back to purchase more they no longer had the flex/pattern in stock that I use.

I switched over to the Bauer One 6, bought a 3 pack of those and went through all three. Same ol song and dance of flex and pattern no longer in stock.

Currently on the Supreme One60, really like and not sure what’s next after this.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:14 PM
hockeyjack89
Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
Do you use intermediate? I just got and AXP and it's originally a 77 flex but I had to cut it down to a now 84 flex.
Nah mine is a senior but I cut it down to about the size of an intermediate. I just needed the thicker stick. I'm 6'2' but I like it an inch or two below my chin so I can handle the puck better.

EDIT: Do you like your APX? I was going to buy one but the guy said they break really easily so I didn't get one.

Last edited by hockeyjack89: 12-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.
hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjack13 View Post
Nah mine is a senior but I cut it down to about the size of an intermediate. I just needed the thicker stick. I'm 6'2' but I like it an inch or two below my chin so I can handle the puck better.

EDIT: Do you like your APX? I was going to buy one but the guy said they break really easily so I didn't get one.
Just realized I accidentally switched the X and P in my last post whoops

I used it for the first time tonight, I felt some nice pop on snapshots. Unfortunately the ice was crap so I couldn't get a good read on it yet. Puck feel was alright. Not great, not terrible. I was just looking for something similar to the S19 and the guy at my LHS said he thought the APX's mimicked it pretty well.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:30 AM
JaeTM

Quick question about 2-piece sticks.

I have a Warrior Dolomite 2-piece, paired up with an Easton Synergy blade that I got years ago. I very rarely break my sticks, which is kind of odd considering I've got a pretty hard shot. Guess I've just gotten extremely lucky and have never gotten slashed hard enough for it to break between the hands. I've broken blades before, but never on the shaft...

Anyways, I want to grab a new curve. The one I have now is too straight and I think the extra curve will allow me to handle the puck a little better. My question is, does the brand matter for matching two pieces? I really haven't had any problems with my Warrior shaft and Easton blade, but I was just curious to know if going Warrior + Warrior would be ideal.

My next stick I'm going to go with is the CCM RBZ. I'm still hoping for another price drop as it's $180 on HM right now. Hoping it drops a bit more. I've always been afraid to go 1-piece because of the breaking, but like I said, I've had really good luck with my sticks not breaking, so I'll go 1-piece after this one.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:53 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Quick question about 2-piece sticks.

I have a Warrior Dolomite 2-piece, paired up with an Easton Synergy blade that I got years ago. I very rarely break my sticks, which is kind of odd considering I've got a pretty hard shot. Guess I've just gotten extremely lucky and have never gotten slashed hard enough for it to break between the hands. I've broken blades before, but never on the shaft...

Anyways, I want to grab a new curve. The one I have now is too straight and I think the extra curve will allow me to handle the puck a little better. My question is, does the brand matter for matching two pieces? I really haven't had any problems with my Warrior shaft and Easton blade, but I was just curious to know if going Warrior + Warrior would be ideal.

My next stick I'm going to go with is the CCM RBZ. I'm still hoping for another price drop as it's $180 on HM right now. Hoping it drops a bit more. I've always been afraid to go 1-piece because of the breaking, but like I said, I've had really good luck with my sticks not breaking, so I'll go 1-piece after this one.
Brand shouldn't matter for the most part as long as it's tapered in tapered. Some brands might have slightly smaller blade hosels but that can be fixed with extra tape layered on before inserting. Never heard of any brand having shafts that are too narrow. If you're looking for a specific curve, it's likely that every brand has something equivalent.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Technically the brand does not matter, BUT there might be a little bit of play between the blade and shaft.

What I like to do is make sure there is a very snug fit, using tape as a shim if need be. I don't use any glue when putting together two piece sticks. I can go into details if you want, otherwise I made a video that kind of shows the technique:

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:26 AM
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar

So has anyone tried the EK15?

One Turris God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:32 AM
JaeTM

Thanks for the info. AIREAYE and Jarick.

I now have a follow up question though. So, I've been doing some research, mainly on HM for a replacement blade looking to spend around $40. Not much luck for that price and getting the specifications I want (P92 curve, right shot, and tapered).

I found on Total Hockey a Bauer Vapor tapered, right, and P92. Perfect right? Well, HM has the same one, except it says it's standard. I really don't want to buy this thing on TH if it only comes in standard and they messed up.

This is the link to Total Hockey:

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/V...5-41/?mtx_id=0

And this is the link to Hockey Monkey:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/repblades-nbh-sr.html

They both contain the same information that says:
"0.620" standard taper system - Fits standard shafts"-HM
"0.620" taper system with a low profile hosel that fits standards shafts"-TH

Really not sure if this is a tapered blade, or not. Thanks!

Old
12-03-2013, 10:39 AM
AIREAYE

.520 is tapered. .620 is standard.

Old
12-03-2013, 10:41 AM
jsykes

They are all tapered, they're either standard taper (.620) or thin taper (.520).

The APX blade is the only Bauer blade for thin taper, all others are standard taper.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
They are all tapered, they're either standard taper (.620) or thin taper (.520).

The APX blade is the only Bauer blade for thin taper, all others are standard taper.
True!

The APX SE/APX2 SE is standard taper.

Old
12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
JaeTM

So wait, I'm confused...

This is the shaft I have:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...-clear-sr.html

Would that blade work with it, or no? I always assumed that standard blades fit in standard shafts, and tapered blades in tapered shafts.

I assume they're both tapered, but you need for it to specify tapered for it to fit?