HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What I Know About Hockey

Old
12-03-2013, 05:26 AM
gto64dr

vCash: 500
What I Know About Hockey

You have to score goals to win. You have to shoot to score. You should never pass when you have the shot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Berube is no coach

gto64dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 06:02 AM
gto64dr

And there are no rebounds without the initial shot.

Last edited by gto64dr: 12-03-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old
12-03-2013, 07:40 AM
gto64dr

Peter Puck

When I was a lot younger than I am now and the Flyers were an up and coming team. There used to be a cartoon character between periods of the game on TV. His name was Peter Puck and he did these little skits to teach people the game of Hockey. I'll never forget his presentation about shooting the puck. The basic premise of it was that any time you had a shot you took it because too many things went wrong if you passed it to someone else. Well, too many things are wrong with the Flyers offense and the biggest one is the failure to shoot when the opportunity presents itself.

Old
12-03-2013, 07:53 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Play harder than the other team.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
You have to score goals to win. You have to shoot to score. You should never pass when you have the shot. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Berube is no coach
Berube has said in post game press conferences the team needs to get more shots on goal. It's the players. They are not good enough.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Cromster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Berube has said in post game press conferences the team needs to get more shots on goal. It's the players. They are not good enough.
The players are plenty good enough. They still have Lavy on the brain and it will take some time for Berube to beat that out of them. If you have a shot, take it. Don't try to do a cross ice pass in the offensive zone through 3 defending players.

Half the problem is our forecheck being non exisistant, and when it is there, it's one or 2 guys with no support up top basically not working together and playing as individuals.

The other half of the problem is breakouts. This has been a problem for awhile now. Once again, it's cross ice passing in neutral zone, rather than a deliberate 5 man effort to move North, instead we go east and west.

My biggest beef with Lavy is that under his watch the players quit playing as a team and started playing as a group of individuals looking for jackpot plays. It's all low percentage stuff out there. Berube will fix this and you can already see the beginnings of it. Our defensive game has improved. We don't need to trade any of our young guys or Hartnell. Just be patient and let the kids develop. We may not make the playoffs this year. resign yourself to that fact and the fact that the Flyers were over rated which set unreasonable expectations.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Having shots isn't too much of a problem really. Having quality shots seems to be our hardest challenge. We pad our stats with half-ice flubbers every night.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:03 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Having shots isn't too much of a problem really. Having quality shots seems to be our hardest challenge. We pad our stats with half-ice flubbers every night.
here in lies the issue.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:13 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:
You have to score goals to win.
Fact.

Quote:
You have to shoot to score.
There are some rare times when you dont have to but generally, I'd say another excellent point.

Quote:
You should never pass when you have the shot.
This is true in youth hockey and lower levels when goalies are complete freaks. In the NHL, you need quality scoring chances. Teams will give you shots from certain areas and basically dare you to take them because it's essentially a turnover if you take a shot from the outside with not screen because the goalie will angle it into a corner for his defenseman to turn up ice.

Quote:
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
You also don't score on 99% of shots the goalie sees and is set for.

Quote:
Berube is no coach
This is incorrect. He coaches the Philadelphia Flyers and he's done a pretty damn good job for a first time head coach in the NHL taking over a team a week into the season.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:27 AM
dats81

Forecheck is essential.

Just take the Winnipeg game when they were trailing in the 3rd. As soon as they became desperate and 2 or even 3 players went on the forecheck, they found a way to pin the Jets down in their own zone and generated lots of shots.

They've learned to play more responsible in their own end try to avoid odd men rushes against them. But at the same time they have become a little ultra cautious and don't apply enough pressure in the offensive zone recently.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:42 AM
JustJim

The point of this thread is....

to trash Craig Berube?
I won't. I like the job he's doing, and I like his assistants.
I'm originally from the U.K. and when I lived there I played defense for a minor league club. Our coach was an elderly Canadian gent who played minor hockey in the AHL.
Our coach insisted that each player should play smart hockey away from the puck, very like what Coach Berube is trying to do with his team. Whether they continue to play smart hockey is up to each player. Too often I've seen needless penalties given to players who get too emotional, that's when they stop playing like a team.
They all need to be on the same page. Guys like Hartnell need to play more like Read has been playing. Not that I'm picking on Hartnell, I've actually seen an improvement in his play recently, I just would like to see the team play like a team, instead of individual players.
This is a very good squad of players, and I dislike the idea of trading away guys while they're still learning to gel.
The coaching staff is also very good.
Give them time, they're showing some improvements.

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:47 AM
StoneHands

16 teams in the NHL have a better records in games that they get outshot while 14 teams have a better record in games they outshoot the other team.

It's all about the quality of shots you get, not how many you take. Where on the ice are the shots from? Is the a screen? Is the goalie set or moving?

Old
12-03-2013, 11:24 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Another problem is that the team seems to think they're all snipers, trying to pick corners and small openings. What usually ends up happening is the shot goes wide. Just hit the net, please!

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I agree with the general sentiment here. I'm not one of those people who crow during the power play and yell SHOOT the whole game, but this team is really painful at times with the amount of passes they try to fit in before taking a shot. I am all for puck movement but at times it's beyond bad.

Not shooting and missed shots, as stated in here, are my 2 main catalysts of lack of offensive production. There are times the Flyers have a team pinned in their own zone for minutes at a time and probably register only a shot, maybe 2, before the puck is cleared.

Missed shots are totally annoying. It's not that they are being blocked, it's that they just completely miss. I forget who the Flyers were playing, but after a period, during the stat recap, the Flyers were outshooting the opponent in SOG, but also were outshooting them in missed shots. It was something crazy, like 18-3 in missed shots. Granted, there is probably human calculation error in there, but for outshooting the other team by 3 or 4 and having that disparity in missed shots... it was alarming.

12-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
16 teams in the NHL have a better records in games that they get outshot while 14 teams have a better record in games they outshoot the other team.

It's all about the quality of shots you get, not how many you take. Where on the ice are the shots from? Is the a screen? Is the goalie set or moving?
There's only 29 other teams in the league. >_>

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Another problem is that the team seems to think they're all snipers, trying to pick corners and small openings. What usually ends up happening is the shot goes wide. Just hit the net, please!
And hit it the right way. Couturier and Timonen are the only ones I notice that understand how to shoot the puck when there's a low chance of scoring. The team doesn't get any rebounds because they're always lofting soft wristers that get gloved or swallowed up, or blistering slapshots wide. It's like a lack of awareness. Sometimes you just need to shoot to cause a rebound and hope your teammate can score.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:03 PM
FlyersFan61290

This past game was particularly frustrating when it can to shooting. The three best opportunities before the first Flyers pp were Raffl's opportunity in the first, he shot it wide. Jakes opportunity cutting to the slot in the 2nd, he shot it wide. Then G's opportunity (also in the 2nd I believe) going in seemingly one on one and he tries a pass.

My point is the Flyers biggest problems right now is missing the net and passing up opportunities, pun intended. Sure the team isn't battling as hard as they should at times and they also lack a legit sniper but IMO the biggest problems with this offense are the missed shots and passed up opportunities.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Blaming this on Chief is pure idiocy, it's time to start looking at the players & the person who assembled them.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Curufinwe

Giroux has been genuinely unlucky with posts this year.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:22 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

If you have a shot, take it. Don't try to do a cross ice pass in the offensive zone through 3 defending players.
THIS^^^^^^^
OH MY ****ING GOD.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
yup. you can say hey look we had 40 SOG. the goalie just played well.
They did not make it difficult last night on Harding at all. You have to work hard to get into areas and create good scoring chances. They just dont do enough of that.
This whole thing about the shooting percentage being on career lows for everyone is on the players. they have do more then just get into areas where the goalie sees the shot every single time.
Most nights there is just no creativity at all. everything is just vanilla.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 01:05 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp

and when they do get a quality chance...they cannot hit the net! its unbelieveable.maybe they should take a little time and PRACTICE ****ing shooting!!i really believe if they could hit the net HALF the time it would make a huge difference to their game.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 02:47 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
There's only 29 other teams in the league. >_>
Yeah, the Flyers are included in the stat. Am I missing something here?

Old
12-03-2013, 02:50 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

They Flyers have so many problems just getting into the offensive zone. It seems that no matter what team they play - they get topped at the line. Time after time after time. I watch other teams do this without effort it seems. But, it's the same story with the Flyers.

Are they better than in the start of the season? Yes. But still terrible.

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
And hit it the right way. Couturier and Timonen are the only ones I notice that understand how to shoot the puck when there's a low chance of scoring. The team doesn't get any rebounds because they're always lofting soft wristers that get gloved or swallowed up, or blistering slapshots wide. It's like a lack of awareness. Sometimes you just need to shoot to cause a rebound and hope your teammate can score.
A lot of our players like to chest snipe.

Sniped is online now   Reply With Quote