HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
12-03-2013, 12:16 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Yeah, everything tapers as per its literal definition of it thinning in dimension gradually, but conventionally and practically speaking, blades with a .520 taper or so-called 'tapered' replacement blades fit into 'tapered' shafts such as your Dolo.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Greasy Sliders

I've had the v9 e36 85 flex for a while and liked it quite a bit. I've also got an apx 2 pm9 85 flex that I use sometimes

Kind of two completely different curves haha but I like them both

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For all intents and purposes, there are "standard" and "tapered" blades. The taper refers to the shaft, not the blade itself. Both standard and tapered blades have uniform tenons. Standard shafts have the same opening on either side (not tapered) while tapered shafts have a smaller opening on one end (tapered).

You will need to find a "tapered" blade to fit the Dolomite shaft. There aren't a lot of options out there for $40 unless you buy a clearance model off eBay or something.

If you don't mind wood, you can get Easton tapered wood blades for $15-20 each on clearance from Hockey Monkey. Those are decent and light weight blades but they won't be as stiff or last as long as composite.

Harrow used to sell some decent if heavy blades for about $40, but they raised the price to $50 and I can't recommend them for that kind of money.

You could e-mail Base to check their prices...I think it's closer to $50+ but they have good blades.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:21 PM
jsykes

You need the .520 thin tapered blade for that shaft.

It is a bit confusing, as in the past, generally, whenever anyone referred to "tapered" they referred to the smaller taper and when they referred to "standard" it was the larger taper.

However, now I've seen (especially with Bauer) both being referred to as "tapered" and you need to know which size.

But essentially, what you really want to look for is the .520 size or avoid anything referred to as "standard" taper.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

You will need to find a "tapered" blade to fit the Dolomite shaft. There aren't a lot of options out there for $40 unless you buy a clearance model off eBay or something.
Its not that easy any longer, as the poster referred to in their initial links. There are many blades right now that are said to be "tapered" however, when you look at the specs they are standard taper and have the larger .620 measurement.

You need to check the measurement and cannot just go by tapered or not any longer.

However, if it does say standard, you know its NOT the thin measurement.

Old
12-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Its not that easy any longer, as the poster referred to in their initial links. There are many blades right now that are said to be "tapered" however, when you look at the specs they are standard taper and have the larger .620 measurement.

You need to check the measurement and cannot just go by tapered or not any longer.

However, if it does say standard, you know its NOT the thin measurement.
The only manufacturer that ever did that was Bauer, and it never stuck. Nobody else uses that terminology.

Tapered = 0.520"
Standard = 0.620"

The Total Hockey link is mis-labeled. It should be standard, not tapered. The second Hockey Monkey link is correct.

Old
12-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

I shoot left (good hand on top)
1.SWD rm7 95 flex Coffy - Hate it terrible stick it was also my first
2.js 19 65 foresburg - liked it after I got a new and used this for road hockey and then broke it after 5 years
3. Easton stealth rs INT Ignla lie 5.5 65 flex no grip - I cut about an inch off of the stick also - best stick ever curve is perfect I have a great snapshot wrist shot and backhand but need work on my slapshot

Tape my stick from heel to tip fully covered
And tape the top by spinning my tape in a line and wrapping it around and the tape over that

Manitoba Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The only manufacturer that ever did that was Bauer, and it never stuck. Nobody else uses that terminology.

Tapered = 0.520"
Standard = 0.620"

The Total Hockey link is mis-labeled. It should be standard, not tapered. The second Hockey Monkey link is correct.
Never stuck? Really?

Its in the 2014 catalog that way.

The TH link is not mislabeled, its labeled exactly as Bauer has it described.

And whether or not other companies use the same terminology or not doesnt make a difference, it still makes it more confusing and not as simple as just looking for the word tapered. Which was my point.

Old
12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Blueland89

I have a combat 45 cal and love it

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:02 PM
JaeTM

I really wish the RBZ and APX would go down in price again. It's frustrating seeing the two sticks I want float around that $200 mark still while other older top of the line sticks like the Mako, Diablo and Widow have all fallen to the $120 mark.

JaeTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Malarowski

Practices with my Int 70 Flex Widow SE yesterday and so far love it. Still getting used to the curve which is much more conservative than I am used to (Gionta and E28), but it felt great yesterday and I got some nice shots off, which does not happen often. The puck feel is great though.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 06:06 PM
durrrr

Alright, so finally got to try out the 20k I bought last week. I've never tried a Reebok stick before, and to be honest the initial impression it gave me was not a good one.

For starters, I find the puck feel much different than my Mako. I found myself looking down a lot more than usual to make sure I still had the puck. Also, the feel when receiving passes was "harsh"... the stick doesn't really dampen vibrations very well. I received one hard pass that actually hurt my hands.

For shooting the stick was meh. I'm accustomed to a P92 and this thing has a Datsyuk curve. I found elevating the puck a little more difficult but that's not a bad thing. The bonus is my backhand is MUCH better with the Dats curve.

Passing with it was great. Throwing lasers on the tape all night. This is generally the best part of my game and I can't decisively say whether the stick helped or not.

I'm going to make a few tweaks and see if it makes a difference. I've been using a white stick with black tape all year and decided to tape the 20k white so in my peripheral vision it looked bizarre and that could have further hurt my puck feel as well. Might try black tape on it and see if that makes any sort of difference.

durrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Has anyone used a Total One NXG blade/shaft combo ? How is the feel and the kick on this stick ? Is it durable ?

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 11:58 PM
durrrr

After my second skate with the 20k I retract most of the criticisms I had. Good twig, I just needed to get used to it. It is a lot different than anything I've used and my brain saw change as bad.

But yeah, good pop, accurate. The puck feel is not great, but it's not terrible either.

durrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Every time I use it, I like it more and more. G3 pro stock from Bauer. Both the look and feel of the weave is awesome (under whatever graphics are painted) and it has shown to be quite durable. Plus, each one I have and those I've seen all have the beloved one95 blade for supreme (pun intended) puck feel. With the flex profile, the release on my wristers is quality and my snappers and clappers are no slouch.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Every time I use it, I like it more and more. G3 pro stock from Bauer. Both the look and feel of the weave is awesome (under whatever graphics are painted) and it has shown to be quite durable. Plus, each one I have and those I've seen all have the beloved one95 blade for supreme (pun intended) puck feel. With the flex profile, the release on my wristers is quality and my snappers and clappers are no slouch.
So you're telling me that the T1 NXG blade/shaft is actually a G3 shaft with a One 95 blade ? Please tell me I'm dreaming

Old
12-08-2013, 10:24 PM
AIREAYE

No, G3 is a custom flex profile, not a shaft+blade construction.

Codes that are understood now on the stick do not necessarily show construction, but that can be guessed by looking at the stick itself.

The only part of a pro stock stick that could show exactly what it is is on a slip of paper/label that should come with its shipment, but likely thrown away.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Well thank you

Old
12-09-2013, 12:54 PM
OpenIceHit42

Has anyone used the Warrior Covert DT4? If so, can you provide any feedback?

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
No, G3 is a custom flex profile, not a shaft+blade construction.

Codes that are understood now on the stick do not necessarily show construction, but that can be guessed by looking at the stick itself.

The only part of a pro stock stick that could show exactly what it is is on a slip of paper/label that should come with its shipment, but likely thrown away.
From what I've read, G3 is the Nexus flex profile with a 12k weave construction. Then the blades can be whatever, but I've just been seeing one95 blades.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
So you're telling me that the T1 NXG blade/shaft is actually a G3 shaft with a One 95 blade ? Please tell me I'm dreaming
What are the lines of code near the name bar?

Old
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
From what I've read, G3 is the Nexus flex profile with a 12k weave construction. Then the blades can be whatever, but I've just been seeing one95 blades.
Are you reading that they are One95 blades or just an assumption based on the 3K weave?

Old
12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Are you reading that they are One95 blades or just an assumption based on the 3K weave?
Both what I have read and the weave, as well as prior experience with the one95 blade.

I am not aware they made any other blades other than what is offered on the Apx, Nexus and T1 lines as well as the one95 that pops up on these pro stocks.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Has anyone used the Warrior Covert DT4? If so, can you provide any feedback?
Not the DT4 but I have the DT2. It is a fantastic stick, light weight, nice pop, great blade, strong durability. Stiff though due to lower kick. But it should be a much nicer stick than the DT4.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Both what I have read and the weave, as well as prior experience with the one95 blade.

I am not aware they made any other blades other than what is offered on the Apx, Nexus and T1 lines as well as the one95 that pops up on these pro stocks.
My store received a shipment of around 600 pro stock Bauer T1 sticks a few months ago. In each batch of a particular player's order, there is an envelope from the OEM with a slip of paper inside outlining the Player, Team, Curve/Blade and Construction.

You would see your typical G3s, R32s, O33s, C, D etc. But a great many of the sticks that had visible two piece constructions with the 3K weave were actually built with One90 blades, NOT One95s. I haven't seen any with a One95 blade designation (though C29 and 28s were there, indicating true One95s). Keep in mind that (iirc) the One95 and One90 blade weaves are similar visually.

I've heard the same stuff you have, but based on that large sample that I went through, I'm more inclined to believe that more One90 blades are used because they provide better pop. Having used both a One95 and a One90 construction extensively, I would also agree that One90 blades offer more pop than the One95s do.