HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part VI: Do Anything

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Pouliot stinks. If the Rangers waived him tomorrow,would another team claim him? No.

Old
12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
RangersHank*

NYR and TB.

Connolly, Gudas, 2nd rounder for Girardi and Yogan

Old
12-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
What are the arguments against Byfuglien besides he doesn't look good in a bathing suit, he may or may not listen to gangster rap, and his name is hard to spell?

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
12-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Obviously they aren't and that isn't close to what I said. Even strength scoring rates are a nice data point but they just can't be the gospel when you are comparing how a player will transition to a new environment. Looking at things like, Pouliot's inability to crack 35 points in a season at the NHL level, help provide some more context.
That's fine if he doesn't score 35+ points. Scoring 30 points at ES for 1.3 million would be huge.

Of course ESP/60 it can't be used as gospel for how a player will do in the future, just like any other factor. But to say that Sather's thought process was simply "Ooh, look at the 4th overall pick!" is just stupid.

Old
12-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
What are the arguments against Byfuglien besides he doesn't look good in a bathing suit, he may or may not listen to gangster rap, and his name is hard to spell?
I dont think the Rangers really have the assets to trade for him. I also don't think hes particularly good at playing defense.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I heard TB Lightning beat writer Erik Erlendsson last week on the FAN590 discussing the Lightning and Stamkos. He was asked about Connolly. The player has fallen down the depth chart in TB. He isn't a top prospect anymore. He is going be better here?
He was one of the best Lightning forwards in pre-season. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Give him a shot to work through his growing pains.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont think the Rangers really have the assets to trade for him. I also don't think hes particularly good at playing defense.
Everyone wants a game breaking RHD but shy and run away when he's not that great defensively. The players that provide you both are not and will never be available.

I can live with Buff's occasional d lapses as long as he's scoring 50-60 a year.

Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He was one of the better TB forwards in camp. He would be the perfect buy low candidate. I know they like Gudas, but where does he play if they have Girardi.

I was hoping the Sharks would look at their roster and relize this may be their last shot with guys like Thornton, Havlat, Marleau and Boyle around.
Gudas would play on the 2nd pairing, I would think.

Hedman - Girardi
Carle - Gudas
Brewer - Salo/Sustr

Not a bad group by any means. 6 guys who can play 20 minutes a night at least. Salo is nearly 40 and signed through next year. I bet they'd try and dump that contract on us.

Quote:
This is what I worry the most about. After seeing players like Drury, Volchenkov, McKee, Philips, Regehr, Morrow and how they have seriously regressed early due to the miles on their bodies and style of play, I worry about giving either of them long term contracts.
Definitely a concern, but unfortunately I don't think Sather cares one bit.

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
we need to make a deal but that deal will be for a 2nd line type scorer. we need a shooter/finisher/scorer guy who can help us on out pp and score some ugly goals. rather than a speed type guy, we need a down low scorer. a dirty goal guy who can convert slam dunks and some chippies. we need those to start dropping so we can loosin the grips on the sticks and get back to shooting and scoring. just make sure hes not 35 yrs of age please.

the good news is that guy is there to be had. that kind of guy can be found in a deal for a mdz and someone else. we dont need a blockbuster deal.
OK, who?

Quote:
we should be trading del zotto. dude needs a new team. package of mdz and mcilrath or miller would bring back a decent return.
OK, who?

Quote:
goal scoring- address that and everything else follows.
Just that, huh?

Quote:
this team isnt as bad as last night. they are better than that. they arent as good as the van game though either. somewhere in between.

were arent that far off.
The team you describe this team being is what they are. Middle of the road. That is far off. Just look at their record against the good teams in the league.

Josh3217

Whats Nietos deal? Would SJ trade him?

Old
12-03-2013, 02:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Gudas would play on the 2nd pairing, I would think.

Hedman - Girardi
Carle - Gudas
Brewer - Salo/Sustr

Not a bad group by any means. 6 guys who can play 20 minutes a night at least. Salo is nearly 40 and signed through next year. I bet they'd try and dump that contract on us.

Definitely a concern, but unfortunately I don't think Sather cares one bit.
That is a solid Defense. I would not take Salo back. Sustr, maybe...

I agree, he won't be around for the end of these deals...

Old
12-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
There's shouldn't be. He fills so many needs. Big tough crease clearing defenseman. Check. Top 4 RHD. Check. Big shot on the power play. Check. Toughness. Check.

He logs 26 a night yes, but he's still not someone you'd want on an extended shift, and he doesn't have a plus lateral mobility to say the least.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Josh3217

Saw Connolly play the other night in Binghamton. His team took a beating but Connolly stood out for them. Good compete level, you can tell he has tremendous offensive talent.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
There's shouldn't be. He fills so many needs. Big tough crease clearing defenseman. Check. Top 4 RHD. Check. Big shot on the power play. Check. Toughness. Check.

He logs 26 a night yes, but he's still not someone you'd want on an extended shift, and he doesn't have a plus lateral mobility to say the least.
He's not really a crease clearer though.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
NYR and TB.

Connolly, Gudas, 2nd rounder for Girardi and Yogan
Is Connolly in the NHL yet?

Old
12-03-2013, 02:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
Is Connolly in the NHL yet?
He was a couple of years ago, in the AHL right now.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

I don't Byfuglien is great in his defensive zone. Luckily (read: not luckily) the majority of the time he's on the ice is spent in the offensive zone.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
He was a couple of years ago, in the AHL right now.
Interesting. I remember him being highly touted going into the 2010 draft. I wouldn't give up any roster pieces for him, but I would love to get him on this team for a package consisting of prospects and picks. I would only give up Girardi for a bonafide top-six player.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I heard TB Lightning beat writer Erik Erlendsson last week on the FAN590 discussing the Lightning and Stamkos. He was asked about Connolly. The player has fallen down the depth chart in TB. He isn't a top prospect anymore. He is going be better here?
Wouldn't be the first time a player benefitted from a change of scenery. It's not as if the kid has been floundering for years. He had a very good AHL season after being mis-used in his rookie year, played well enough to earn a spot in camp but was kept off the roster, and his confidence took a hit.

Tampa rushed him and now they're down on him. Buy low.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Wouldn't be the first time a player benefitted from a change of scenery. It's not as if the kid has been floundering for years. He had a very good AHL season after being mis-used in his rookie year, played well enough to earn a spot in camp but was kept off the roster, and his confidence took a hit.
Exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
Interesting. I remember him being highly touted going into the 2010 draft. I wouldn't give up any roster pieces for him, but I would love to get him on this team for a package consisting of prospects and picks. I would only give up Girardi for a bonafide top-six player.
You won't get a top-6 player for a pending UFA. Connolly + would be a solid package.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:17 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/index...a_traffic.html

hes struggling here.

hes a bit bummed being passed over for call ups. there are some decent prospects here and hes behind them in the pecking order.

he needs to be more productive. long stretches of nothing hurts him.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Exactly this.

You won't get a top-6 player for a pending UFA. Connolly + would be a solid package.
Well it would obviously be Girardi+ with a conditional pick given if Girardi doesn't resign. I get your rationale, but that's not a trade I make until much later in the season. We could probably get more for Girardi around the trade deadline when buyers are looking to bolster their blueline.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
He's not really a crease clearer though.
Not unless he's ticked off. Emotional engagement is Byfuglien's issue. A motivated Big Buff is a force to be reckoned with.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:19 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Everyone wants a game breaking RHD but shy and run away when he's not that great defensively. The players that provide you both are not and will never be available.

I can live with Buff's occasional d lapses as long as he's scoring 50-60 a year.

Knowing our luck Buff gains 50-60 pounds and falls flat on his face.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Connolly is the perfect player to acquire, just not for MDZ or other serious assets. At this point, I don't think TBL even gives up on him unless it's a drastic overpay, too much invested already.

That's the issue with the Rangers currently, they need that one top 6 winger and possibly a true PMD/50 point defense men.

But you're not getting that by trading MDZ and a 2nd. Hell, you probably can't get that with MDZ, Miller and a 2nd.

This team seriously needs to consider trading assets like Girardi, Callahan or Staal. It'd be a sad day if/when one of them goes, but rearranging the deck chairs only works so well.

Closed Thread