HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part VI: Do Anything

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 500
Byfuglien's usage compared to Ranger defensemen:

He gets tough minutes, most similar to McDonagh-Girardi, but he manages to possess the puck like the Staal-Stralman pairing.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Old
12-03-2013, 02:26 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Where are we getting a goal scorer from? Who is willing to trade a top 6 player at this point in the season? And do we want these players? They are in poor teams that have goal scoring issues as well. If we could have gone back to the off season and traded Miller + 2nd for Perron, I'd do it. Fits what the team needs well. There is no player like that right now on the market.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Rust Heisenberg

The only 2 guys I think we need to trade for retooling purposes this year are MDZ and Girardi.

Trading Girardi means punting this season away for the sake of the future. Is Sather willing to do that? He's never shown a willingness to do that.

We have immediate replacements for both. Moore and McIlrath.

Trading Cally is ridiculous, in my opinion. He's the only one with any type of heart. His injuries aren't chronic, they're a result of the way he plays - by example. They're also situational. Broken fingers, partially torn labrum. Saying he can't stay healthy is rather simple minded. He's also the most likely person to take a McDonough like contract - team friendly for what he brings.

That being said... this team reminds me of the Kings situation the year they won the cup. They were thought of as inconsistent, soft, and were playing a .500 level. Brown was rumored to be on the block. He plays very similarly to Callahan. For some reason, their scoring wasn't as effective as it should have been. Kopitar and Richards weren't putting up enough offensive out put. Defense was playing lackluster. The Jeff Carter trade made something click for all of them. Quick began playing up to his expectations. The defense solidified. They have a similar puck moving system to us.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Where are we getting a goal scorer from? Who is willing to trade a top 6 player at this point in the season?
It's Giving Tuesday.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Where are we getting a goal scorer from? Who is willing to trade a top 6 player at this point in the season? And do we want these players? They are in poor teams that have goal scoring issues as well. If we could have gone back to the off season and traded Miller + 2nd for Perron, I'd do it. Fits what the team needs well. There is no player like that right now on the market.
One should be available by the deadline.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:30 PM
NYR Viper

The rangers would be 3rd to last in the Western Conference with their point totals. They should not be buyers...

Old
12-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Knowing our luck Buff gains 50-60 pounds and falls flat on his face.
Spelled Boyle wrong

12-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Bullseyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
The only 2 guys I think we need to trade for retooling purposes this year are MDZ and Girardi.

Trading Girardi means punting this season away for the sake of the future. Is Sather willing to do that? He's never shown a willingness to do that.

We have immediate replacements for both. Moore and McIlrath.

Trading Cally is ridiculous, in my opinion. He's the only one with any type of heart. His injuries aren't chronic, they're a result of the way he plays - by example. They're also situational. Broken fingers, partially torn labrum. Saying he can't stay healthy is rather simple minded. He's also the most likely person to take a McDonough like contract - team friendly for what he brings.

That being said... this team reminds me of the Kings situation the year they won the cup. They were thought of as inconsistent, soft, and were playing a .500 level. Brown was rumored to be on the block. He plays very similarly to Callahan. For some reason, their scoring wasn't as effective as it should have been. Kopitar and Richards weren't putting up enough offensive out put. Defense was playing lackluster. The Jeff Carter trade made something click for all of them. Quick began playing up to his expectations. The defense solidified. They have a similar puck moving system to us.
Isn't that the point? The way he plays brings on injuries.

I really, really, really hope that they don't give him a Dustin Brown type contract. He's not worth it.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Byfuglien's usage compared to Ranger defensemen:

He gets tough minutes, most similar to McDonagh-Girardi, but he manages to possess the puck like the Staal-Stralman pairing.
Get this garbage out of here. Let us argue irrationally about his weight and ill perceived laziness in peace.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseyes View Post
Isn't that the point? The way he plays brings on injuries.

I really, really, really hope that they don't give him a Dustin Brown type contract. He's not worth it.
I wonder if he'd agree to the same exact contract McDonough agreed to. Same avg. cap hit and length.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
The rangers would be 3rd to last in the Western Conference with their point totals. They should not be buyers...
Kings were out of the playoff picture when they acquired Carter too...

Old
12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Kings were out of the playoff picture when they acquired Carter too...
Who would be this year's Carter?

12-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I wonder if he'd agree to the same exact contract McDonough agreed to. Same avg. cap hit and length.
No, he'll just point to the contract David Clarkson got as a UFA and demand more money.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Yeah, but they're in the East...

Old
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

I would like this team FOR ONCE to address needs and actually figure out what kind of team they want.

There's some buy low candidates we could look at and some players who could grow with the core, but aren't quite so buy low.

Connolly is a great one. Having a real down year, but fits and is exactly the type of player we should look at.
I know Philly is in our division, but I would still pay so much for Schenn. He's exactly the type of guy we should look to build around.
R. Murphy in Carolina is another. He's going to be a star RH PPQB.

I love Callahan, but I'd like to get players with his style of play who are younger.

If we're still struggling in the middle of the season, let's just look and try and build a team that will last for a while and actually works. Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Del Zotto and our scraps can be made available.

Keep Kreider, Stepan, Nash, Hagelin. Players who have demonstrated they work. Dorsett and Boyle have been great on the 4th line. Boyle lost all offense to his game and should come cheaper. Zuccarello has added excellent PKing (his long stick doesnt hurt) and speed to his game and he's been fine.

Stralman has been a great addition to our defense. Retaining him for something like 3.5x4 would be perfect.

Look for deals like
Staal+2nd for Murphy+1st
Girardi for Koekkoek+Connolly (might be a bit rich for Tampa)
Callahan will easily garner a 1st and a good prospect.
Package that 1st from Callahan with Del Zotto for Schenn.

I like Byfuglien. A lot. But we should look to find players who can grow and stay together for a long time. Find a young version of him. Lock the guys up to long term deals when you can, the cap will go up and we'll be able to retain everyone.

These deals weaken us temporarily, but they're done on the basis of improving quickly. We have a deep prospect base. Kristo, Miller, Fast, McIlrath, Lindberg. Some of them will flop. But we can expect 2-3 good NHLers from this crop within 2 years.

Old
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who would be this year's Carter?
I have no answer for that. No idea. Point was to say that the Kings were in a similar team state and situation the year they won the cup (and also made that trade that reversed their fortune.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I have no answer for that. No idea. Point was to say that the Kings were in a similar team state and situation the year they won the cup (and also made that trade that reversed their fortune.
I understand what your point is. And my point is Carter being available is a very rare occurrence. And the Kings had the depth to be able to acquire him.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
No, he'll just point to the contract David Clarkson got as a UFA and demand more money.
I know there is a difference between UFA's and RFA's and leverage in negotiations, but McDonough didn't hold out for more money when he had every ability to.

Wonder if Cally care's about every nickel and dime or is actually willing to take a discount. Rangers gave him his first opportunity. They gave him his captaincy when he's a 2nd/3rd line winger at the age of 26. Which other club will be willing to do that?

Then again he could do just what you said. I don't know him personally. Just musing.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Not really, they were the textbook definition of a team underachieving. Is that the Rangers this year, or are they actually just a .500 team? I'm going with the latter.

12-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I understand what your point is. And my point is Carter being available is a very rare occurrence. And the Kings had the depth to be able to acquire him.
He wasn't the hottest commodity that deadline. He had an attitude problem. No hustle. That was around the time that it was starting to leak that him and Richards were huge partiers. Bad image. Philadelphia wanted to separate the 2 to send a message. Carter didn't respond the way they wanted. That decreased his trade value.

Guys like that exist around the league. By the deadline, more should become available.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Not really, they were the textbook definition of a team underachieving. Is that the Rangers this year, or are they actually just a .500 team? I'm going with the latter.
Why would we be different? The last 2 years we were legit teams. The problem on this team isn't lack of talent, it's attitude. The same problem that resided on the Kings the year they won.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Ail
k.

If there were one thing in the history of hockey I could take back it would be the Kings winning that Cup. Forever the benchmark comparison.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
If there were one thing in the history of hockey I could take back it would be the Kings winning that Cup. Forever the benchmark comparison.
The point of them winning isn't to use them as a benchmark. It's to show that anything is possible. The talent is there for us. Change of attitude can change a lot. Too much doom and gloom on this board.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
I know there is a difference between UFA's and RFA's and leverage in negotiations, but McDonough didn't hold out for more money when he had every ability to.

Wonder if Cally care's about every nickel and dime or is actually willing to take a discount. Rangers gave him his first opportunity. They gave him his captaincy when he's a 2nd/3rd line winger at the age of 26. Which other club will be willing to do that?

Then again he could do just what you said. I don't know him personally. Just musing.
Unless he REALLY wants to give the Rangers a discount because he loves them so much, I just can't see Callahan taking anything under 5 per when significantly worse UFA's than him have gotten big money from teams in recent years.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

It's a shame that arguably the best landing spot for MDZ (Isles) and two players that'd fit this team perfectly (Schenn and Letang) would never even get past stage 1 in a deal because they are in-division teams.

Closed Thread