HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slightly OT: NHL 'We Are Marshall' scenario

Old
01-01-2007, 05:29 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

vCash: 500
Slightly OT: NHL 'We Are Marshall' scenario

Friend of mine just watched We Are Marshall & we got on the topic of what would happen if this happened today with a pro team, in the NHL for example. Yes, a morbid topic (knocks on wood) I know, but interesting none the less. What scenario would play out do you think? Would the show go on? I'm guessing the league would play on, but what about the organization that lost their entire team? Could you see something extreme like an entire farm team being brought up to 'replace' their fallen brothers? What about other teams 'donating' players via some kind of lottery maybe? Or do you think nothing would be done & the games played against the team are simply wiped off the calendar for that season (but what about next season?)?

Again, sorry 'bout the 'downer' type of post, but am just curious what some of you guys think would play out in such a scenario.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 09:13 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

The NHL would cancel games for a short period (a week?). I would assume the entire AHL team would be promoted.

Then at the end of the season the NHL would hold an "expansion draft" where each team can only protect x number of players and the team with the tragedy could select any unprotected player.

The team would get incredible receptions wherever it went.

This might get more response in the NHL board?

01-01-2007, 12:32 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

All sports leasgues have an emergency restocking plan in their by-laws. I actually saw the NHL plan in the 70's when this was very topical and I was working in professional hockey. I would imagine that the plans have been changed from time to time to keep up with changes in economic structure (i.e. free agency) but I am certain lthat something like this exists. Lord hope we never have to find out the details.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 03:23 PM
DutchShamrock

5 years ago or so the Redwings almost crashed during a flight to Vancouver. The hydrolics went out on the plane but they came back after a scary moment. With all the flight professional teams take each season it is bound to happen unfortunately. You'd probably see some type of expansion draft the next season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 03:45 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_air_disaster

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 03:49 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
5 years ago or so the Redwings almost crashed during a flight to Vancouver. The hydrolics went out on the plane but they came back after a scary moment. With all the flight professional teams take each season it is bound to happen unfortunately. You'd probably see some type of expansion draft the next season.
Would it be reasonable to split teams up when flying? Dont keep all your eggs in one basket?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 04:14 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
Friend of mine just watched We Are Marshall & we got on the topic of what would happen if this happened today with a pro team, in the NHL for example. Yes, a morbid topic (knocks on wood) I know, but interesting none the less. What scenario would play out do you think? Would the show go on? I'm guessing the league would play on, but what about the organization that lost their entire team? Could you see something extreme like an entire farm team being brought up to 'replace' their fallen brothers? What about other teams 'donating' players via some kind of lottery maybe? Or do you think nothing would be done & the games played against the team are simply wiped off the calendar for that season (but what about next season?)?

Again, sorry 'bout the 'downer' type of post, but am just curious what some of you guys think would play out in such a scenario.
interesting topic, thanks for posting this because i want to check that movie out

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 07:00 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Would it be reasonable to split teams up when flying? Dont keep all your eggs in one basket?
In one sense yes, but probably not fiscally reasonable so you won't see it happen. The chances are so remote that it doesn't make sense but on a long enough timeline with every chance added up it becomes a sure thing. Hell, there was that college basketball team plane crash a few years back. It is weird that there aren't that many cases of sports-related plane crashes but rock stars are in them as often as they are.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Statistically speaking, flying is much safer than driving. You have a much higher chance of dying in a car accident on the way to the airport than you do once you are on the plane. Also, you're much more likely to die in a smaller plane than a larger one (think about most of the crashes that have killed famous people and many times they are in a small aircraft), so if you do split up the team, it would be advisable not to send them in smaller planes. Think about the possibilities: Jagr doesn't keep his shifts short enough in a game, send him on some regularly scheduled flight (in coach) as a punishment. The goaltender lets in an soft goal, drop him off at the airport with only a half hour to get through security--make him beg to get on the next flight so he doesn't lose his next start too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 03:26 AM
MrAlfie

as mentioned, it already happened before.

Manchester United, the Uruguayan National Rugby Team (I recommend the movie "Alive" , very touching) and im sure alot more that i havent heard of yet.

Teams will live forever unless they go bankrupt or are called the pittsburgh penguins

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ugh, not a fan of this topic or much more of the 'what if' scenarios. I just got done watching a really awful 'Rocky' film where the basis of the fight is one of these 'what if' scenarios.

Before you know it Xbox & the like will have the 'plane crash' feature on all the sports games.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Gamma82

Quote:
National Hockey League
If an accident occurs resulting in the death or disability of five or more active players, the club would be allowed to restock its roster by buying players from other teams using money from an indemnity insurance policy.
Once the disabled club returns to a playing strength of one goalkeeper and 14 players (NHL rosters regularly have 20 active players), the Emergency Rehabilitation Draft can be enacted to finish the re-stocking process. Each club will be able to protect one goalkeeper and 10 position players and the disabled club will draft from the remaining pool of talent.
Teams that lost a player in the first phase of the ERP are exempt from losing a player in the draft.
http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/0328/1163463.html

Gamma82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
broadwayblue

What does that mean "the club would be allowed to restock its roster by buying players from other teams using money from an indemnity insurance policy." They could just buy Jagr and Shanny and there's nothing the Rangers could do about it?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
This is immediately what I thought of, too. The tragedy of the Munich Air Disaster wasn't just that 8 MU players died (out of 23 casualties), but that they were really just coming into their own as a team.

It took a long time for Manchester United to recover from that and I think that the after-effects haunted the team all the way until their successes in the 1990's.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 02:42 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What does that mean "the club would be allowed to restock its roster by buying players from other teams using money from an indemnity insurance policy." They could just buy Jagr and Shanny and there's nothing the Rangers could do about it?
I am sure the other team would have to be willing to sell.

I believe the NHL does not allow teams to trade players for cash alone, so this could describe an exception to that rule.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:21 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
In one sense yes, but probably not fiscally reasonable so you won't see it happen. The chances are so remote that it doesn't make sense but on a long enough timeline with every chance added up it becomes a sure thing. Hell, there was that college basketball team plane crash a few years back. It is weird that there aren't that many cases of sports-related plane crashes but rock stars are in them as often as they are.
Oklahoma State, if I remember correctly.

This is a very sad topic, but a very real one....

"Once the disabled club returns to a playing strength of one goalkeeper and 14 players (NHL rosters regularly have 20 active players), the Emergency Rehabilitation Draft can be enacted"...Why would they start buying players to begin with....just call up enough AHL players that can be sent down without going through waivers to get to the one goalie and fourteen skaters, and then send them back down after the Draft???? Loopholes...

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 07:53 AM
GarretJoseph*

If this was to ever happen to our NYR, do you think the Garden would retire the #'s in memory of those players?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
If this was to ever happen to our NYR, do you think the Garden would retire the #'s in memory of those players?
A more fitting tribute would be to retire the colors.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
frozenrubber

On a less serious note, I would of had no problem in "disabling" 5 roster players during the 7 year playoff drought...

I wish I knew this was an option...

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote