HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

System Analyst - The Ottawa Senators Line Changes

Old
12-03-2013, 09:39 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
System Analyst - The Ottawa Senators Line Changes

Here is a pretty embarrassing article about how much suck we've sucked lately.

Some of the broader points made:
Quote:
- The Ottawa Senators gave up three even-strength goals to the Detroit Red Wings (as well as an empty-netter to Daniel Alfredsson in his return), and each one of those three can be traced back to the exact same issue: line changes. Yes, in an NHL game. Multiple times.
Quote:
- When you’ve got a team that’s changing that poorly, you’ve either got guys who aren’t focused, aren’t in shape, or don’t give a damn. You sure hope it’s the former.
Quote:
- Poor changes can make a coach go squirrely, because there’s not a damn thing they can do about them when they’re on the fly aside from letting everyone know who’s up next and trusting the guys to get on and off in responsible fashion.

... and then they go into some very in-depth analysis about why we sucked vs the Wings, breaking down the 3 even-strength goals in all of their inept glory.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

That is a great article, and very insightful. I noted one of the bad changes in the game, but hadn't realized they impacted all of the goals.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Indrew

Definitely following this guy from now on. This is a great piece of hockey analysis.

It's amazing how cutting corners will cost you so badly. Also, the Sens defense back off way too frequently. Wiercioch backed off on Alfredsson on the empty net goal, basically gifting it to him.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:12 AM
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.

A good analysis. Guys are getting trapped in their own zone for too long and then making ill advised changes. I would also like to point out that I believe Maclean is also partially to blame. It seemed to me like several times he would change his mind right at the line change about who was being sent out. Either that or the players on the bench just weren't paying attention? I saw a few times where the guy coming off the ice was actually impeding the player coming off the bench.

Horrid.

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Damn, Spezza's laziness is rubbing off on everyone. He gets another minus because he's terrible defensively, and Karlsson gets no help despite being amazing at everything.

Blow up the team.

...or fix the system.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
- When you’ve got a team that’s changing that poorly, you’ve either got guys who aren’t focused, aren’t in shape, or don’t give a damn. You sure hope it’s the former
Insert pic of Cory Clouston ' s dazed and confused look.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:22 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Damn, Spezza's laziness is rubbing off on everyone. He gets another minus because he's terrible defensively, and Karlsson gets no help despite being amazing at everything.

Blow up the team.

...or fix the system.
Post a thread that shows a team-wide issue? Get a post blaming it all on Spezza.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:26 AM
dingbatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Post a thread that shows a team-wide issue? Get a post blaming it all on Spezza.

He was being facetious... again...

dingbatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Quo

No one expects the Spezza Inquisition.

But I'm pretty sure Cujo was just being sarcastic.

Anyway, this is very disconcerting.

Everything about this team since the end of the MTL series has been one big negative melodrama. They come in as favorites for the year under a lot of pressure. Their former captain effectively throws them under a bus before abandoning ship and that's pretty well become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Probably not a very happy locker room right now.

Last edited by Quo: 12-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Sorry I should stop doing that. I mean I thought because of the amount of flak I get as a Spezza supporter would make it obvious, but I can't edit my posts now so yeah...I was mostly just jumping the gun before the usual Spezza haters could.

I just think things like this go to show how much of a team problem we have -- not an individual problem.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:
Sorry I should stop doing that. I mean I thought because of the amount of flak I get as a Spezza supporter would make it obvious, but I can't edit my posts now so yeah...I was mostly just jumping the gun before the usual Spezza haters could.

I just think things like this go to show how much of a team problem we have -- not an individual problem.
There's a sarcasm smiley for a reason

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:56 AM
mattsens

vCash: 50
I'm going to avoid the Spezza conversation as you can find one in every other thread

I like the fact that they are trying some line up changes. The top 2 offensive players right are probably MacArthur and Ryan (I would slate Z-bad third as of recent). Putting them on separate lines may balance our attack. This would sort of create a 1A 1B situation, which is perfect because one of the lines is always the beneficiary of playing against the 2nd or 3rd line.

mattsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

I have noticed this a lot lately, I just thought it was common and I wasn't noticing it before. I never understood why players meander back to the bench. They should be hustling back so the next guys can get into the play faster.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Magix

This is why I laugh when people propose trading for a solid player or two. Tell me, how is brian campbell suppose to stop **** like that happening?

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

It is problematic that Turris and Mac have outplayed spezza and whoever nightly. It just wouldn't matter as much without all the other issues.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 02:19 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
This is why I laugh when people propose trading for a solid player or two. Tell me, how is brian campbell suppose to stop **** like that happening?
I agree. While there is a big hole on the blueline, Nick Lidstrom himself couldn't make the difference on a team that is making brutal mistakes from the crease to the bench.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 02:22 PM
burf

Concerning that 2 of the bad changes in question were by the Greening-Smith-Neil line, given that Neil's one of the veteran leaders of this team and that line is expected to be the "energy" line. That whole line - and especially Neil - shouldn't be making such lazy changes.

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think this is a bit more accurate

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 04:00 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

The thing is, by making a sarcastic post about Spezza, you're not adding anything to the debate about systemic issues.

You're actually only reinforcing other's perceptions that you have a pro-Spezza agenda.

Simultaneously, you're moving the thread away from the discussion at hand and toward Spezza.

12-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
That is a great article, and very insightful. I noted one of the bad changes in the game, but hadn't realized they impacted all of the goals.
I noticed 2 but never thought 3...

Like I have been saying all season, huge lack of focus. They need to get their head back to hockey

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:28 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
You tend to get tired when you're stuck in your own zone for long periods of time because you defensemen suck at moving the puck.

When you're tired you tend to make bad line changes.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
You tend to get tired when you're stuck in your own zone for long periods of time because you defensemen suck at moving the puck.

When you're tired you tend to make bad line changes.
This team doesn't really get stuck in their zone as much (maybe spezza's line) as turning the puck over and making bad decisions all over the place.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

I liked this version better.

At least Zmitty isn't called "Neil".

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote