HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Strong Now, Strong Future

Old
01-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Kostitsyn404*

vCash: 500
Habs Strong Now, Strong Future

Well the Hamilton Bulldogs went from doing terrible to 1pt behind Rochester. Our farm team is about to take 1st place in their division. Much like our NHL team is about to. Buffalo can't seem to take Ottawa and we can take them too. I think it's only a matter of time before we overtake them. I really like to see our farm team do so well. Those are all players we've got and if they're playing well in the AHL it's a good sign.

What do you guys think? Do you think a teams future depends more strongly on good trading and management, or good scouting and picks?

Either way we clearly have good management and good scouts. Our farm team is doing awesome and those are the guys that'll be doing awesome on our team come 3-5 years from now.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Skyblaze

I think we can safely say that the days of mediocrity which hit the Habs full swing with the departure of Roy are behind us and that the team can safely move from expectations of barely making the playoffs to aiming to go deep in them.

Obviously, the only foreseeable problem is with the Souray-Rivet-Markov connundrum and depending what Gainey pulls out of it; that could affect the short term performance of the team quite a bit but the mid and long term seem to see the Habs re-take their place as one of the stronger teams in the league.

Obviously, this was done how it needs to be done, BOTH good management and good picks. You can't really get anywhere if you don't have both; just ask the Pens (though it's not as if they had to make any tough choices with their picks in recent years).

Frankly, I'm hoping for this year's team to make the conference finals.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Skylab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
Our farm team is doing awesome and those are the guys that'll be doing awesome on our team come 3-5 years from now.
maybe, but as we've seen time and time again success at the ahl level doesn't necessarily translate to success at the nhl level. some of them may be doing awesome, some will make the transition and be merely servicable, some will never make the transition at all.

Skylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Netro

Hockey is no different than any other business. Good management is paramount.

The Habs decline began with the bad management team of Houle and Tremblay. When good management was brought in (A. Savard, B. Gainey), it was only a matter of time until the team improved.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I think Trevor Timmins and Andre Savard have done a remarkable over the last few seasons. And, I was not a big fan of Timmins at first because I doubted many of his first round picks. But with the emergence of Kostitsyn and now Price. He has swung me over to his side.

The Habs should be Cup contenders for the next decade or so. I am not so worried about the Markov/Souray/Rivet situation as most because Gainey has proven to win more trades than he loses and be a good judge of talent.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:18 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1 View Post
I think Trevor Timmins and Andre Savard have done a remarkable over the last few seasons. And, I was not a big fan of Timmins at first because I doubted many of his first round picks. But with the emergence of Kostitsyn and now Price. He has swung me over to his side.

The Habs should be Cup contenders for the next decade or so. I am not so worried about the Markov/Souray/Rivet situation as most because Gainey has proven to win more trades than he loses and be a good judge of talent.
Ltting Rivet go would make sense at this point. Ninima is better than Rivet at this point so Rivet shouldnt be too hard to replace.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote