HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I also think the Rangers not looking like a legit contender may have thrown any hope of a hometown discount out the door. Plus made management worry that he might actually walk.

I think it would have been prudent to see how he performs away from the past rock solid defensive structure for a full season. But that was kind of impossible.
In the end, I'm fine with him not giving us a hometown discount. It will make me demand a higher level of play, though. Particularly in the playoffs. Hopefully he can deliver. He's truly in the drivers' seat, now.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Spending over 10% of the cap (even if it goes to $80M in a couple years) on a goalie seems absurd to me. Love Hank, but he's not $1M better than Rask at this point. Complete speculation, but I think Hank and his agent played the "lack of contract is driving down his level of play" card and the Rangers caved.
Much like a really good center can hide mediocre wingers, a great goalie can hide defensive gaffes, and off nights for scoring. For $8.5 million I take that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
And not to derail the thread, but as much as I loathe Brodeur. The guy was the best if not one of the best for large portion of his prime and gave his team a nice discount which allowed them to stay competitive for a long time. Guess it was wishful thinking for thinking Lundqvist would do something similar. Just hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the rear when there is an offensive upgrade we could really use that becomes an option and we're too short to make a solid offer.
Marty had nothing to prove to the Devils. Already took them to 3 cups. If he wanted full value for his contract that would have been ludicrous.

Thank you boys
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I said that I want our elite player to play elite game in, game out. I have no idea how that is outlandish.

And I wouldn't deny any of that.

However, Crosby has been much more consistent than Lundqvist has. So if they are going to be paid roughly equal, I want to see Lundqvist play like a superstar just about every game. I'll give the guy a pass now and then just like Crosby has a bad game or two (maybe one or two out of every 30 or so).

You've yet to explain how anything I have said is outlandish.
More consistent? I guess you mean when Crosby is actually on the ice and wasn't sitting out large swaths of seasons with concussion issues.

But what I really mean is that you're basically stating here that Lundqvist BETTER NOT give up what you, the almighty Jonathan, deem soft goals. He must be elite every game. Every goalie in the history of the sport have given up multiple "soft" goals person season. Every one. From Steve Valiquette to Patrick Roy. Outlandish expectations from you.

Old
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
And not to derail the thread, but as much as I loathe Brodeur. The guy was the best if not one of the best for large portion of his prime and gave his team a nice discount which allowed them to stay competitive for a long time. Guess it was wishful thinking for thinking Lundqvist would do something similar. Just hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the rear when there is an offensive upgrade we could really use that becomes an option and we're too short to make a solid offer.
If I'm Lundqvist, I don't trust Sather to wisely spend the money saved on a potential home town discount.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Most of the people in the league talking down this deal are rival fans, or Fins.

Either demographic kind of needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

He better play well... Quit the inconsistency please. I have no problems with that contract if he plays like Henrik.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
In another thread, I said that $7.5M would be completely acceptable with the cap going up. I also that that we could probably get away with $8.5M. Well, here we are, $8.5M. It's not ideal but it's not ridiculous, and unless his play falls off a cliff, it won't be an albatross in any way.

He should be a career Ranger with this deal. I'm good with that.

It's just pain.
Old
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
More consistent? I guess you mean when Crosby is actually on the ice and wasn't sitting out large swaths of seasons with concussion issues.

But what I really mean is that you're basically stating here that Lundqvist BETTER NOT give up what you, the almighty Jonathan, deem soft goals. He must be elite every game. Every goalie in the history of the sport have given up multiple "soft" goals person season. Every one. From Steve Valiquette to Patrick Roy. Outlandish expectations from you.
Oh, so now we start taking personal shots after I ask you to explain your comments? Nice, BRB. I guess I see where this is going since that's pretty typical.

If you think that it's outlandish to expect a superstar to play like a superstar game in, game out (Who ever said every game? All that phrase means is most games and it's a simple hockey cliche ), then I guess that why even bother having expectations? Let him play like he did at the beginning of the season. No one should expect him to do anything, I guess.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
OverTheCap

Hometown discounts are the exception and not the rule in professional sports, especially for elite players. It would have been a nice surprise if Lundqvist agreed to a contract well under market value but there should be no expectation or obligation for him to do so. Ovechkin, Perry, Getzlaf, Nash, etc., certainly didn't give their hometown teams any discount.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I also think the Rangers not looking like a legit contender may have thrown any hope of a hometown discount out the door. Plus made management worry that he might actually walk.

I think it would have been prudent to see how he performs away from the past rock solid defensive structure for a full season. But that was kind of impossible.
Agreed. I think Hank likely held out on the money because of limited faith in the team's ability to win.

Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Season to season, since the lockout, no one has been more consistent than Hank.

Game to game, sure, you could find inconsistencies in anyone's game. The numbers don't lie.

Since 05-06 he's anywhere from 1-3 in the NHL in GAA, sv%, wins, and SOs.

If there's a goalie in the league that deserves to get paid, it's Hank.

Also, this no "home team discount" thing is BS. He would've gotten 9.5+ on the open market. So, there's a million per year for you guys. Expecting him to sign for $7.5 just because he's a career Ranger is ridiculous.

In two years, when the cap is 80+mm, none of this will matter.

I just... I don't know. Some of your expectations of Hank here are so outlandish. If he lets in more than 2 goals in a game you all have your pitchforks ready. ****ing relax, take a look at what he's been able to do in the playoffs without ANY goal support, and enjoy the ride.

We are so ****ing spoiled with him, some people have no idea what we have. Do you guys remember the post-Richter, pre-Lundqvist days? McLennan, Dunham, Holmqvist, Markkanen, LaBarbera. It's like ancient history around here. One day you'll be telling your grandkids how awesome it was to be able to watch Hank night in and night out. (Didn't mention Blackburn on purpose. Would've loved to see what he would've become had he stayed healthy)

I mean, do you guys realize what his November numbers are?

11 games, 5 wins, 2.27 GAA, .924 sv%

WASHED UP & STRUGGLING.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
He better play well... Quit the inconsistency please. I have no problems with that contract if he plays like Henrik.
But your expectations are "outlandish."

Old
12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Much like a really good center can hide mediocre wingers, a great goalie can hide defensive gaffes, and off nights for scoring. For $8.5 million I take that.
I'd rather have fewer defensive gaffs than invest in something to cover them up. It's like buying a really nice rug just to cover the giant hole in your living room floor.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

vCash: 50
Does this seal Richards career with the Rangers? Can they afford both next year, or is he gone for sure now?

Old
12-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Also, this no "home team discount" thing is BS. He would've gotten 9.5+ on the open market. So, there's a million per year for you guys. Expecting him to sign for $7.5 just because he's a career Ranger is ridiculous.
Based on what? He may have gotten that from a truly bottom of the barrel team, but I don't see anyone out there remotely competitive who would have offered 9.5 PLUS.

I don't think expecting a bit of loyalty out of a career player who was paid handsomely (some would say even overpaid by half a mil or so) on his last deal is "ridiculous."

Old
12-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Oh, so now we start taking personal shots after I ask you to explain your comments? Nice, BRB. I guess I see where this is going since that's pretty typical.

If you think that it's outlandish to expect a superstar to play like a superstar game in, game out (Who ever said every game? All that phrase means is most games and it's a simple hockey cliche ), then I guess that why even bother having expectations? Let him play like he did at the beginning of the season. No one should expect him to do anything, I guess.
I guess what Im saying is, compared to Lundqvist's track record, your expectations of him really don't mean ****.

Besides you holding him so accountable, which means absolutely zilch to me, what are your other concerns. Do you think this money will really effect being able to build a team around him?

Old
12-04-2013, 10:42 AM
OnlyTruth

It is clear to me that AV system exposed Hank. Sather just messed us up again.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTruth View Post
Explain.

12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTruth View Post
Did you forget the ?

Old
Ian
Mike York fan club

I don't know how fair it is to say Lundqvist & Rask's contracts should be closer in value.

Barring injury or a significant drop in skill, Rask plays out his contract and probably gets at least a 2-3 year contract after that (he'll be 34 in his UFA offseason).

I don't know if Henrik plays out this entire deal, which don't get me wrong I hope he's elite until then, but he may have outside the game desires that would make more sense for him to leave (hopefully) on top than slowly decline.

I think you'll have to see the actual salary YoY breakdown to paint a clearer picture here. Wouldn't be shocked if Henrik is getting 10+ first few years of this deal.

Old
Daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Most of the people in the league talking down this deal are rival fans, or Fins.

Either demographic kind of needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
Definately. There's no way any rational person would question max length + near league max dollar contracts for aging and declining goalies in a market where you can get talented young goalies relatively on the cheap, all the while considering the past history of signings like these failing spectacularly. Only rival fans and Finnish posters (????) would question this contract.

Old
12-04-2013, 10:44 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Based on what? He may have gotten that from a truly bottom of the barrel team, but I don't see anyone out there remotely competitive who would have offered 9.5 PLUS.

I don't think expecting a bit of loyalty out of a career player who was paid handsomely (some would say even overpaid by half a mil or so) on his last deal is "ridiculous."
He would've gotten at least 9 in a bidding war. Goalies like Lundqvist don't grow on trees, I mean, it's not like you're going to find a goalie like Hank in the 7th round of a draft or anything

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...63021098577920

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBrun
Wonder what Lundqvist would have got July 1 on the open market? My guess is $9 M plus with teams trying to outbid each other...
GMs know the cap is going to shoot up. Locking up a top 5 goalie in the league, arguably top 3, arguable best in the world, GMs would've paid out the ass for that.

That's my opinion though.

Old
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd rather have fewer defensive gaffs than invest in something to cover them up. It's like buying a really nice rug just to cover the giant hole in your living room floor.
And I'd rather have good wingers than a center that has to make mediocre ones better. It's the same thing. This team doesn't have that many gaffes as is, we just have a nice insurance if they were to make one.

It's ultimately a luxury but one that gives us a really good chance to win big.

Old
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
But your expectations are "outlandish."
Yeah. Well I guess that's some sort of way for people to make excuses for when the time comes.

If he plays well, fine. But none of this garbage that occurs. I understand he won't be god every game. However, competing and acceptable work done on the ice consistently SHOULD be expected. So....yeah .

Old
12-04-2013, 10:45 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Season to season, since the lockout, no one has been more consistent than Hank.

Game to game, sure, you could find inconsistencies in anyone's game. The numbers don't lie.

Since 05-06 he's anywhere from 1-3 in the NHL in GAA, sv%, wins, and SOs.

If there's a goalie in the league that deserves to get paid, it's Hank.

In two years, when the cap is 80+mm, none of this will matter.

I just... I don't know. Some of your expectations of Hank here are so outlandish. If he lets in more than 2 goals in a game you all have your pitchforks ready. ****ing relax, take a look at what he's been able to do in the playoffs without ANY goal support, and enjoy the ride.

We are so ****ing spoiled with him, some people have no idea what we have. Do you guys remember the post-Richter, pre-Lundqvist days? McLennan, Dunham, Holmqvist, Markkanen, LaBarbera. It's like ancient history around here. One day you'll be telling your grandkids how awesome it was to be able to watch Hank night in and night out. (Didn't mention Blackburn on purpose. Would've loved to see what he would've become had he stayed healthy)

I mean, do you guys realize what his November numbers are?

11 games, 5 wins, 2.27 GAA, .924 sv%

WASHED UP & STRUGGLING.
Thank you for this.

Closed Thread