HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hab's long-term contract situation - Top 10 in the NHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2013, 12:32 PM
  #26
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I was thinking about our overall contract situation on Sunday, after our victory against the Leafs. Basically, I was thinking of their signing of Clarkson, and just how much it will hurt the Leafs in the long run...

And I realized there's plenty of teams who also have similar contracts. Hell, Montreal was known for having 2 of those up until recently. But it's long past. Even better: we have quite a number of young, competitive players who are signed for very advantageous contracts that, when compared to the rest of the contracts currently signed in the NHL, are quite cheap.

Look for a moment at Bergevin's signings:

- Carey Price. 6y x 6,5M. Compared to Lundqvist's signing today, that's a helluva discount! Count this year, we still have 5 seasons of Carey under contract.
- Max Pacioretty. 6x 4,5M. We still have 6 seasons of Max. How many "big" 30-goal scorers are signed for such a long period at that price?!
- Aleixi Emelin. 4x 4,1M. The shutdown defenseman I believe everybody understand is making the world of difference in our 2nd pairing, which stabilizes our entire D-corps. We still have him for 5 seasons.
- Travis Moen. 4x 1,85M. I know many people thought Moen just wasn't pulling his weight in the past year, but he's changed a lot recently. Actually, you could even claim his resurgence has coincided with Desharnais's resurgence as well, and both of these players' slump have been simultaneous. Maybe Moen is a bit overpaid, but he's also providing some reliable defensive depth with size to our forward, and he's quite the energy player. We still have him for 3 years.
- Brandon Prust. 4x 2,5M. Even if he's been a little weak lately, I don't think anyone can challenge the impact he's had on our team overall. One of Bergevin's best signing. We still have him for 3 years.

I believe Bergevin's most criticized long-term signing was David Desharnais. 4x 3,5M. Let's be honest; even if Desharnais stops his current streak and ends up being a complete waste, it's not like his 3,5M is a crippling contract for our organization. It's not an Albatross Contract.

And if Desharnais finds his cruising speed and doesn't have another slump, then it's a solid signing.



The other players currently signed with us for 3+ years, but who haven't been signed by Bergevin are as follow:

Tomas Plekanec. Still with us for 3y x 5M$. Again, I don't think anyone can even challenge the idea that this is a good situation for us. Plekanec has been at the top of our center's depth chart for the past years, and only the emergence of true stars will push him down.
Josh Gorges. Who will be with us 5y x 3,9M. Arguably the most overpaid of our long-term signing after Desharnais. However, he's proved time and again to be a reliable shutdown guy who's great at playing position, a solid leader in the locker room and a fantastic PKer. If our organisation needs to shed something in our defensive corps, then trading Gorges would fetch us quite a return.
Rene Bourque, who will be with us for 3y x 3,33M. A streaky player who, in my opinion, is rarely a defensive liability. He may not always hustle in the offensive zone, but he's often at the right spot in our own zone. But when he does hustle it out in the O-zone I think the only player harder to throw off the puck may be Eller. I wouldn't consider him a "bad contract" by any measures. Like Gorges, he's our most likely trade-bait contract.


So you look at the contract tying up the Habs for the next 3+ years, and you realize just how flexible our situation is, by virtue of the quality of the contracts we've signed with many of our young core. The "Fantastic Contracts" (Price, Pacioretty & Emelin) SHOULD NOT BE TRADED. They constitute the most important part of our current strong lineup.

I understand with the resigning of players like Eller, Subban and Markov, cap space might be tight in the very near future. But on the other hand, we can safely say that the future is bright and we will be able to accommodate the future contracts of our burgeoning stars in Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

What do you think?
Good moves here for sure. Some folks didn't like the Price contract when it went down but I knew it was a good one. Max is great value. Emelin's is good (though I thought it was crazy to offer him this before he came back.)

On the downside though, we can't ignore Briere or the length of DD's deal. Both of those were puzzling.

And as I've said many times in the past, I hated the way we went about negotiations with Subban. I still think we're lucky he didn't just tell us to row a boat and demand a trade.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
  #27
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
Way too soon to tell. What if Subban want 8.5 millions/year ? What if Markov want 6.5 millions/year ? What if Eller ask for 4.5 millions/year ? What if Galchenyuk ask for 6 millions/year ? What if Gallagher ask for 5 millions/year ?

This could get ugly really fast.
2 words for you regarding ours Gals:

Bridge Contracts

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:23 PM
  #28
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Good moves here for sure. Some folks didn't like the Price contract when it went down but I knew it was a good one. Max is great value. Emelin's is good (though I thought it was crazy to offer him this before he came back.)

On the downside though, we can't ignore Briere or the length of DD's deal. Both of those were puzzling.

And as I've said many times in the past, I hated the way we went about negotiations with Subban. I still think we're lucky he didn't just tell us to row a boat and demand a trade.
he's a stand-up team 1st guy, so I'm not really surprised....but imagine the Subban-hate in the media?!!!! OMG add the sudden hate from the french media and you have a hate singularity one that would destroy the fabric of time

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:40 PM
  #29
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
2 words for you regarding ours Gals:

Bridge Contracts
Let's hope so...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:41 PM
  #30
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Let's hope so...
Hey, he made them sign for Subban, why shouldn't they also sign it for them as well?

Plus, MB will be able to make the case they the big payout will come after the bridge, just like Subban have known his. It's just a matter of leaving the team cap flexibility.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:43 PM
  #31
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Hey, he made them sign for Subban, why shouldn't they also sign it for them as well?

Plus, MB will be able to make the case they the big payout will come after the bridge, just like Subban have known his. It's just a matter of leaving the team cap flexibility.
Agreed, I hope you are right...MB may have helped alot of teams out, with the Subban bridge...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:53 PM
  #32
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
What the hell? How is Plekanec not a good situation for us?
I agree, he would get even more on the open market. Heck look at the ridiculous deal J.Staal signed.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 01:55 PM
  #33
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I agree, he would get even more on the open market. Heck look at the ridiculous deal J.Staal signed.
Please read entire thread

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 02:59 PM
  #34
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Hey, he made them sign for Subban, why shouldn't they also sign it for them as well?

Plus, MB will be able to make the case they the big payout will come after the bridge, just like Subban have known his. It's just a matter of leaving the team cap flexibility.
We were lucky Subban didn't tell him to **** off. Most players would have. Less than 3 mil for him was ridiculous.

Bridge contract is fine but it has to make sense. Playing chicken the way we did was not smart. Esp since PK's demands (widely reported) were very reasonable.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  #35
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We were lucky Subban didn't tell him to **** off. Most players would have. Less than 3 mil for him was ridiculous.

Bridge contract is fine but it has to make sense. Playing chicken the way we did was not smart. Esp since PK's demands (widely reported) were very reasonable.
So you keep repeating.

Again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again
and again

Doesn't necessarily makes it true.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:10 PM
  #36
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear
 
Steve Shutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Colombia
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
Missed mentioning a few other guys who are solid contributors with minimal impact on the cap:

Budaj, Peter $1,400,000 for this year and next
Galchenyuk, Alex $925,000 for this year and next and RFA after that
White, Ryan $700,000 and RFA next year
Gallagher, B. $685,000 for this year and next and RFA after that
Bournival, M. $660,000 for this year and next and RFA after that

Plus these 3 will all be UFA's and are great value this year:
Bouillon, Francis $1,500,000
Murray, Douglas $1,500,000
Diaz, Raphael $1,225,000

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 05:11 PM
  #37
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,603
vCash: 500
I did not talked about them because I wanted to talk about our long-term cap situation, which is dandy at the moment.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:09 PM
  #38
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I was thinking about our overall contract situation on Sunday, after our victory against the Leafs. Basically, I was thinking of their signing of Clarkson, and just how much it will hurt the Leafs in the long run...

And I realized there's plenty of teams who also have similar contracts. Hell, Montreal was known for having 2 of those up until recently. But it's long past. Even better: we have quite a number of young, competitive players who are signed for very advantageous contracts that, when compared to the rest of the contracts currently signed in the NHL, are quite cheap.

Look for a moment at Bergevin's signings:

- Carey Price. 6y x 6,5M. Compared to Lundqvist's signing today, that's a helluva discount! Count this year, we still have 5 seasons of Carey under contract.
- Max Pacioretty. 6x 4,5M. We still have 6 seasons of Max. How many "big" 30-goal scorers are signed for such a long period at that price?!
- Aleixi Emelin. 4x 4,1M. The shutdown defenseman I believe everybody understand is making the world of difference in our 2nd pairing, which stabilizes our entire D-corps. We still have him for 5 seasons.
- Travis Moen. 4x 1,85M. I know many people thought Moen just wasn't pulling his weight in the past year, but he's changed a lot recently. Actually, you could even claim his resurgence has coincided with Desharnais's resurgence as well, and both of these players' slump have been simultaneous. Maybe Moen is a bit overpaid, but he's also providing some reliable defensive depth with size to our forward, and he's quite the energy player. We still have him for 3 years.
- Brandon Prust. 4x 2,5M. Even if he's been a little weak lately, I don't think anyone can challenge the impact he's had on our team overall. One of Bergevin's best signing. We still have him for 3 years.

I believe Bergevin's most criticized long-term signing was David Desharnais. 4x 3,5M. Let's be honest; even if Desharnais stops his current streak and ends up being a complete waste, it's not like his 3,5M is a crippling contract for our organization. It's not an Albatross Contract.

And if Desharnais finds his cruising speed and doesn't have another slump, then it's a solid signing.



The other players currently signed with us for 3+ years, but who haven't been signed by Bergevin are as follow:

Tomas Plekanec. Still with us for 3y x 5M$. Again, I don't think anyone can even challenge the idea that this is a good situation for us. Plekanec has been at the top of our center's depth chart for the past years, and only the emergence of true stars will push him down.
Josh Gorges. Who will be with us 5y x 3,9M. Arguably the most overpaid of our long-term signing after Desharnais. However, he's proved time and again to be a reliable shutdown guy who's great at playing position, a solid leader in the locker room and a fantastic PKer. If our organisation needs to shed something in our defensive corps, then trading Gorges would fetch us quite a return.
Rene Bourque, who will be with us for 3y x 3,33M. A streaky player who, in my opinion, is rarely a defensive liability. He may not always hustle in the offensive zone, but he's often at the right spot in our own zone. But when he does hustle it out in the O-zone I think the only player harder to throw off the puck may be Eller. I wouldn't consider him a "bad contract" by any measures. Like Gorges, he's our most likely trade-bait contract.


So you look at the contract tying up the Habs for the next 3+ years, and you realize just how flexible our situation is, by virtue of the quality of the contracts we've signed with many of our young core. The "Fantastic Contracts" (Price, Pacioretty & Emelin) SHOULD NOT BE TRADED. They constitute the most important part of our current strong lineup.

I understand with the resigning of players like Eller, Subban and Markov, cap space might be tight in the very near future. But on the other hand, we can safely say that the future is bright and we will be able to accommodate the future contracts of our burgeoning stars in Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

What do you think?
Not to mention the youth coming up in the next few years who'll be on ELCs. These include McCarron, Collberg, Hudon, Lekhonen, Beaulieu, and Tinordi. That's tonnes of depth and cap space to try to hit a home run in UFA.

Also, not mentioning the money coming off the books in the next few years: Gionta and Briere.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.