HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
  #826
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,123
vCash: 500
Is it wrong to be confident I could beat Michael Jordan in a medical terminology spell-off? A Hall of Famer doesn't necessarily do everything better than anybody else. And I believe some of us indicated the difference we found with Pronger's point shot.

BernieParent is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  #827
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Is it wrong to be confident I could beat Michael Jordan in a medical terminology spell-off? A Hall of Famer doesn't necessarily do everything better than anybody else. And I believe some of us indicated the difference we found with Pronger's point shot.
Yep, Coburn is a better skater than a lot of the D men in the HOF.

Giroux has a better pass and is a better PP guy than a lot of the forwards in the HOF.

Couturier is better defensively and on the PK than a lot of the forwards in the HOF.

Adam Hall is better on faceoffs than a lot of the centres in the HOF.

Matt Read has as good as or a better shot than a lot of HOF wingers, and is better on the PK than many of them.

Pretty likely non of these guys end up in the Hall, yet they are better at some aspects of the game than many HOFers.

Appleyard is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 05:13 PM
  #828
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,528
vCash: 500
Valeri Vasiliev was named to Team Russia's December Camp. They invited 29 total players (10 defensemen total) & have to get down to 23.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 05:18 PM
  #829
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Ghost's shot blows his out of the water

Don't hate.

SeanCWombBroom is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 05:28 PM
  #830
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,833
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Valeri Vasiliev was named to Team Russia's December Camp. They invited 29 total players (10 defensemen total) & have to get down to 23.
I'm pretty sure he's considered a lock to make the team. For the first time in a while, the Flyers will have a bunch of prospects to watch at the WJC.

flyershockey is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 05:30 PM
  #831
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It depends how they shape their roster. They have to get down to 23 players. Griffin Reinhart has to miss the first three games due to a suspension that carries over from last year so I would expect them to take 8 defensemen. With 8 defensemen & 2 goalies that leaves 13 forwards.

I don't know much about Girard but just reading the prospects boards he came off as a bit of a surprise to some there. Anderson has been one of the London Knights best players this year so far (better than Domi).

I think Leier will make it as a 4th liner or the extra forward spot but who knows for sure. He has a legit shot at making it though IMO.
Mmmm, will we see Laughton and Leier out on the PK together, as we saw Carter and Richards all those many moons ago???

Larry44 is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 05:40 PM
  #832
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I'm pretty sure he's considered a lock to make the team. For the first time in a while, the Flyers will have a bunch of prospects to watch at the WJC.
He should be, he's a 94 & Russia usually takes an older team.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 06:18 PM
  #833
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
No respect for Andy Delmore's shot?
Bundy had a bomb too lol. Remember that skills competition?

FLYguy3911 is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
  #834
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 500
To summarize. Shayne Gostisbehere is the next Bobby Orr.

sobrien is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 07:56 PM
  #835
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To summarize. Shayne Gostisbehere is the next Bobby Orr.
Going to have to go ahead and ask you to quote the posts that you're summarizing.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 07:58 PM
  #836
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,221
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To summarize. Shayne Gostisbehere is the next Bobby Orr.
I think his potential is higher than that honestly. Bobby Orr hasn't scored a goal in decades. Ghost had 2 in one game!

King Forsberg is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 08:26 PM
  #837
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,937
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
I think his potential is higher than that honestly. Bobby Orr hasn't scored a goal in decades. Ghost had 2 in one game!
woa....

can't....hold....excitement.....


RJ8812 is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 09:08 PM
  #838
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 500
Even if Ghost does not succeed in the NHL he still has the coolest nickname in the business.

The Dream is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 09:20 PM
  #839
Flyerss
Registered User
 
Flyerss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,613
vCash: 147
man we are jinxing the kid and he have yet to wear a flyer jersey

Flyerss is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 10:34 PM
  #840
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive
 
The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
man we are jinxing the kid and he have yet to wear a flyer jersey
Just imagine what this board would be like if the Flyers drafted Anthony Mantha, we would have the next Brett Hull on our hands.

The Dream is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 08:39 AM
  #841
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To summarize. Shayne Gostisbehere is the next Bobby Orr.
I would settle happily for the next Phil Housley...

Larry44 is online now  
Old
12-04-2013, 09:13 AM
  #842
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
Anthony Stolarz named to the prelim USA WJC Roster.

I'm not sure if this was already announced and Dave Isaac is just crazy late or if it was mostly assumed.

Hiesenberg is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 10:05 AM
  #843
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 990
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Is it wrong to be confident I could beat Michael Jordan in a medical terminology spell-off? A Hall of Famer doesn't necessarily do everything better than anybody else. And I believe some of us indicated the difference we found with Pronger's point shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Yep, Coburn is a better skater than a lot of the D men in the HOF.

Giroux has a better pass and is a better PP guy than a lot of the forwards in the HOF.

Couturier is better defensively and on the PK than a lot of the forwards in the HOF.

Adam Hall is better on faceoffs than a lot of the centres in the HOF.

Matt Read has as good as or a better shot than a lot of HOF wingers, and is better on the PK than many of them.

Pretty likely non of these guys end up in the Hall, yet they are better at some aspects of the game than many HOFers.
The problem is, Chris Pronger's shot was one of his best assets. Even if he weren't a beast defensively and was just Coburn/Grossmann good, he would still be a Hall of Famer because of his point shot. I just think it's a little premature to watch some YouTube clips and say that Ghost has a harder shot than Pronger. Maybe he does, or maybe he will one day, but it's a little much to proclaim it as a fact this early.

A lot goes into how hard a player shoots. Because of the speed of the game, Pronger had less time to take his shot and Ghost's shot may seem harder when watching a College game because it's jsut so much harder than most of those guys can shoot. Pronger would also take something off of his shot to put it exactly where he wanted it so we didn't always see Pronger's hardest shot. Also, the most recent memory people have of Pronger's shot was when he was 35-36 years old. I know most guys don't lose a ton off of their shot as they get older but I can promise you it was at least a little harder in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Anyway, to say that a Ghost has a shot like Chara and speed and skating like Karlsson to go along with his hockey IQ which is apparently his best asset seems like a stretch. If that were the case, he would already be on the Flyers and putting up big numbers regardless of how bad he may be in his own zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
To summarize. Shayne Gostisbehere is the next Bobby Orr.
No, more like Bobby Orr was the previous Shayne Gostisbehere.


Last edited by StoneHands: 12-04-2013 at 10:31 AM.
StoneHands is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
  #844
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Anthony Stolarz named to the prelim USA WJC Roster.

I'm not sure if this was already announced and Dave Isaac is just crazy late or if it was mostly assumed.
As far as I know, this is the first announcement--but it was a foregone conclusion that he'd be at least the #2 there.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 02:33 PM
  #845
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,528
vCash: 500
Also for those keeping tabs local product Anthony DeAngelo from Sewell, NJ/Philadelphia, PA made USA's camp & has a shot at making the team.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
12-04-2013, 03:14 PM
  #846
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 990
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Also for those keeping tabs local product Anthony DeAngelo from Sewell, NJ/Philadelphia, PA made USA's camp & has a shot at making the team.
I've had my eye on him for a while because of the local connection. I wouldn't mind seeing the Flyers taking a chance on him.


Last edited by StoneHands: 12-04-2013 at 03:22 PM.
StoneHands is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
  #847
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer 45m

Per Modo TV's Martin Sedin (@murtas75), Kjell Samuelsson was in press box today for Modo-Frölunda game.

Stizzle is online now  
Old
12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
  #848
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I've had my eye on him for a while because of the local connection. I wouldn't mind seeing the Flyers taking a chance on him.
Yup, he's kind of a Gostisbehere type of defensemen. He's tearing up the OHL offensively right now.

He has a good shot at making the US club, they're lacking in offensive punch this year & could give it to them on the backend.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
12-04-2013, 03:26 PM
  #849
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 990
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yup, he's kind of a Gostisbehere type of defensemen. He's tearing up the OHL offensively right now.

He has a good shot at making the US club, they're lacking in offensive punch this year & could give it to them on the backend.
Yeah, he's a late birthday so he's a little older than most of the guys in this years draft which is why he's got a better shot at making the team but he was really good last year too. I just don't like taking undersized defenseman.

StoneHands is offline  
Old
12-04-2013, 03:32 PM
  #850
iamcanadian23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
I just don't like taking undersized defenseman.
It's a flaw in this organization, believing you must be a certain size to play defense. While I too appreciate size on the blueline, this team takes size over mobility or puck-movement too often - they need to starting mixing it up, I think.

iamcanadian23 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.