HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Holes in hockey gloves

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2013, 11:05 PM
  #1
Manitoba Oilers*
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Holes in hockey gloves

I was wondering what you do for preventing/Fixing holes in your gloves
My gloves:
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/64o...tml?sort=3&o=0

I heard palmsaver works pretty good
http://www.thepalmsaver.com/home anybody use this to fix their glove

Any suggestion on what to do

Manitoba Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 10:07 AM
  #2
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
wish i could post a couple pictures of the holes in my gloves.
i pretty much am holding the stick with bare fingers at this point.

hate breaking in new gloves so i dont wanna get a new pair.

i know the only thing i could do to fix mine is get a new pair.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:30 AM
  #3
forbs02
Blergh
 
forbs02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
wish i could post a couple pictures of the holes in my gloves.
i pretty much am holding the stick with bare fingers at this point.

hate breaking in new gloves so i dont wanna get a new pair.

i know the only thing i could do to fix mine is get a new pair.
You can get gloves re-palmed.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
  #4
Coachtdoig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Re-palming is an option for sure to fix your gloves. I am the same way, when I have a piece of equipment in I want to do everything possible to fix it rather then buying and breaking in something new.

If you just have a few holes that are repairable, I have cut out little pieces from my old gloves that still have some palming left. Put some super glue on the back and put them over top of the holes in my gloves, which worked out great.

If that is not an option and your gloves are simply garbage worthy, there is a few different things you can do to help break your gloves in.

One is to pull the fingers of the glove back and tape them in that position. If you leave them over night and take the tape off in the morning they will loosen up a bit. Another option would be to tape them in the morning, take the tape off at night before you are going to use them on the ice.

The second thing I always did was fill up a bucket with as hot of water as you can find about half way. Put a rack across the bucket, set your on that with the entry point facing the water. I would then take a bigger bucket like a garbage can and put it over top of everything and leave it for 10-15 minutes. It basically just creates a mini sauna for your gloves and when you remove the garbage can they are moist and feel like they have been used numerous times. After drying out they will still go back to being somewhat stiff but it gives you a head start to get them broken in.

These are a few things that worked for me, but it may not suit you.

Just a few ideas to ponder, hope that helps.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 03:42 PM
  #5
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachtdoig View Post
Re-palming is an option for sure to fix your gloves. I am the same way, when I have a piece of equipment in I want to do everything possible to fix it rather then buying and breaking in something new.

If you just have a few holes that are repairable, I have cut out little pieces from my old gloves that still have some palming left. Put some super glue on the back and put them over top of the holes in my gloves, which worked out great.

If that is not an option and your gloves are simply garbage worthy, there is a few different things you can do to help break your gloves in.

One is to pull the fingers of the glove back and tape them in that position. If you leave them over night and take the tape off in the morning they will loosen up a bit. Another option would be to tape them in the morning, take the tape off at night before you are going to use them on the ice.

The second thing I always did was fill up a bucket with as hot of water as you can find about half way. Put a rack across the bucket, set your on that with the entry point facing the water. I would then take a bigger bucket like a garbage can and put it over top of everything and leave it for 10-15 minutes. It basically just creates a mini sauna for your gloves and when you remove the garbage can they are moist and feel like they have been used numerous times. After drying out they will still go back to being somewhat stiff but it gives you a head start to get them broken in.

These are a few things that worked for me, but it may not suit you.

Just a few ideas to ponder, hope that helps.

Ciao,
TD
Good suggestions for glove break-in.

Though I can consolidate your finger tape and mini sauna methods into one easier and faster one that your LHS can help with: Bake your gloves in a skate oven as you would a pair of skates and work the fingers and palm around when they're hot. I wet my hands before putting them on after they come out of the oven.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 03:22 AM
  #6
madguitarist
Registered User
 
madguitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Moose Jaw, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
A local leather worker, cobbler, or upholsterer, should be able to re-palm your gloves rather easily. There are also several companies out there who do mods and repairs to goalie gear, including blocker re-palms. I'd venture to guess that doing a player glove re-palm, would be a cinch for them. The catch, is how much do you wanna spend?

madguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:15 AM
  #7
Coachtdoig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good suggestions for glove break-in.

Though I can consolidate your finger tape and mini sauna methods into one easier and faster one that your LHS can help with: Bake your gloves in a skate oven as you would a pair of skates and work the fingers and palm around when they're hot. I wet my hands before putting them on after they come out of the oven.
Agreed, if you have access too or can go to a sports store to use a skate over that would do the trick as well; with a little less effort.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
  #8
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
I usually use a shoe repair shop.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:00 PM
  #9
santiclaws
Registered User
 
santiclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Oilers View Post
I was wondering what you do for preventing/Fixing holes in your gloves
My gloves:
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/64o...tml?sort=3&o=0

I heard palmsaver works pretty good
http://www.thepalmsaver.com/home anybody use this to fix their glove

Any suggestion on what to do
Just ordered one of those things for my glove. We'll see. A $12 risk.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:26 AM
  #10
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
there's a guy in North Carolina named Pete Carson that is doing fantastic work. so far for me he's repalmed a pair of gloves and added zippers to a pair of pants. his prices are fair and he does the work super cheap. he has a Facebook page under Slapshots Sports Equipment and Hockey Repair.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:46 AM
  #11
Jackson12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
am i the only one who likes big holes in his mits? once that palming has worn away i get a much better feel for the stick in my hands.
also my one buddy puts a layer of clear over his tape and says it helps the palming last longer.

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:45 AM
  #12
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,935
vCash: 500
I know a girl who used to keep the holes (before she got new gloves) so she can clutch and grab jerseys stealthily lol

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
  #13
kamosko
Ginger Jesus
 
kamosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Girouxsalem
Country: North Korea
Posts: 10,471
vCash: 50
Used to get holes in my gloves a lot, after I started using white/colored hockey tape instead of black my gloves stopped wearing down

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.