HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Holes in hockey gloves

Old
12-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Manitoba Oilers*

vCash: 500
Holes in hockey gloves

I was wondering what you do for preventing/Fixing holes in your gloves
My gloves:
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/64o...tml?sort=3&o=0

I heard palmsaver works pretty good
http://www.thepalmsaver.com/home anybody use this to fix their glove

Any suggestion on what to do

Manitoba Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 10:07 AM
DarrenBanks56

wish i could post a couple pictures of the holes in my gloves.
i pretty much am holding the stick with bare fingers at this point.

hate breaking in new gloves so i dont wanna get a new pair.

i know the only thing i could do to fix mine is get a new pair.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 11:30 AM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
wish i could post a couple pictures of the holes in my gloves.
i pretty much am holding the stick with bare fingers at this point.

hate breaking in new gloves so i dont wanna get a new pair.

i know the only thing i could do to fix mine is get a new pair.
You can get gloves re-palmed.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Coachtdoig

Re-palming is an option for sure to fix your gloves. I am the same way, when I have a piece of equipment in I want to do everything possible to fix it rather then buying and breaking in something new.

If you just have a few holes that are repairable, I have cut out little pieces from my old gloves that still have some palming left. Put some super glue on the back and put them over top of the holes in my gloves, which worked out great.

If that is not an option and your gloves are simply garbage worthy, there is a few different things you can do to help break your gloves in.

One is to pull the fingers of the glove back and tape them in that position. If you leave them over night and take the tape off in the morning they will loosen up a bit. Another option would be to tape them in the morning, take the tape off at night before you are going to use them on the ice.

The second thing I always did was fill up a bucket with as hot of water as you can find about half way. Put a rack across the bucket, set your on that with the entry point facing the water. I would then take a bigger bucket like a garbage can and put it over top of everything and leave it for 10-15 minutes. It basically just creates a mini sauna for your gloves and when you remove the garbage can they are moist and feel like they have been used numerous times. After drying out they will still go back to being somewhat stiff but it gives you a head start to get them broken in.

These are a few things that worked for me, but it may not suit you.

Just a few ideas to ponder, hope that helps.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 03:42 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachtdoig View Post
Re-palming is an option for sure to fix your gloves. I am the same way, when I have a piece of equipment in I want to do everything possible to fix it rather then buying and breaking in something new.

If you just have a few holes that are repairable, I have cut out little pieces from my old gloves that still have some palming left. Put some super glue on the back and put them over top of the holes in my gloves, which worked out great.

If that is not an option and your gloves are simply garbage worthy, there is a few different things you can do to help break your gloves in.

One is to pull the fingers of the glove back and tape them in that position. If you leave them over night and take the tape off in the morning they will loosen up a bit. Another option would be to tape them in the morning, take the tape off at night before you are going to use them on the ice.

The second thing I always did was fill up a bucket with as hot of water as you can find about half way. Put a rack across the bucket, set your on that with the entry point facing the water. I would then take a bigger bucket like a garbage can and put it over top of everything and leave it for 10-15 minutes. It basically just creates a mini sauna for your gloves and when you remove the garbage can they are moist and feel like they have been used numerous times. After drying out they will still go back to being somewhat stiff but it gives you a head start to get them broken in.

These are a few things that worked for me, but it may not suit you.

Just a few ideas to ponder, hope that helps.

Ciao,
TD
Good suggestions for glove break-in.

Though I can consolidate your finger tape and mini sauna methods into one easier and faster one that your LHS can help with: Bake your gloves in a skate oven as you would a pair of skates and work the fingers and palm around when they're hot. I wet my hands before putting them on after they come out of the oven.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 03:22 AM
madguitarist

A local leather worker, cobbler, or upholsterer, should be able to re-palm your gloves rather easily. There are also several companies out there who do mods and repairs to goalie gear, including blocker re-palms. I'd venture to guess that doing a player glove re-palm, would be a cinch for them. The catch, is how much do you wanna spend?

madguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good suggestions for glove break-in.

Though I can consolidate your finger tape and mini sauna methods into one easier and faster one that your LHS can help with: Bake your gloves in a skate oven as you would a pair of skates and work the fingers and palm around when they're hot. I wet my hands before putting them on after they come out of the oven.
Agreed, if you have access too or can go to a sports store to use a skate over that would do the trick as well; with a little less effort.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Steelhead16

I usually use a shoe repair shop.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:00 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Oilers View Post
I was wondering what you do for preventing/Fixing holes in your gloves
My gloves:
http://s982.photobucket.com/user/64o...tml?sort=3&o=0

I heard palmsaver works pretty good
http://www.thepalmsaver.com/home anybody use this to fix their glove

Any suggestion on what to do
Just ordered one of those things for my glove. We'll see. A $12 risk.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:26 AM
shoeshine boy

there's a guy in North Carolina named Pete Carson that is doing fantastic work. so far for me he's repalmed a pair of gloves and added zippers to a pair of pants. his prices are fair and he does the work super cheap. he has a Facebook page under Slapshots Sports Equipment and Hockey Repair.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Jackson12

am i the only one who likes big holes in his mits? once that palming has worn away i get a much better feel for the stick in my hands.
also my one buddy puts a layer of clear over his tape and says it helps the palming last longer.

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:45 AM
AIREAYE

I know a girl who used to keep the holes (before she got new gloves) so she can clutch and grab jerseys stealthily lol

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 04:46 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Used to get holes in my gloves a lot, after I started using white/colored hockey tape instead of black my gloves stopped wearing down

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote