HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul Ice Time

Old
01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
gr8haluschak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
With all due respect, alot of what Oilers fans tend to say have very little basis in reality or at the very least it is often blown way out of proportion. Such as the tried and true 'Petersen is getting more ice time than Lupul' gem that was beaten to death about a month ago, or the line up of HF jumpers along the high level bridge the morning after every single damn Oilers loss.
No it is reality, Mac T's blender has been going on for years and it is not blown out of proportion

Quote:
But again this is somewhat off topic from the angle I am coming from. What I am suggesting is that MacT can't afford to keep throwing Lupul out on the ice in any situation when he is not showing any signs of snapping out of it, he can not keep him with Torres and Stoll (an arbitrary example) when the other two are showing signs of life but the play is dying with Lupul, he can not afford to keep throwing him over the boards when the defence is over their heads and Lupul is missing his defensive zone assignments as well.
The problem is he does not give a line a chance to succeed because he whips his blender out right away, ofcoarse when you throw Hemmer out with Pouliot and Winchester out the first time they will fail, why because no one knows what is going on out there.

Quote:
Pick any player off the roster and apply the same logic, this isn't just about Lupul.
Calling BS right there because Horcoff has seen prime ice despite proving what he really is, overrated as a scorer

Quote:
The game starts with paper lines. It's MacT's job through the course of the game to make sure the team has the best possible chance to succeed. Part of that is adjusting lines, rotating players at different times and absolutely identifying which guys are playing well in the moment. Lines get changed because players outright aren't playing well, lines get changed because of extensive special teams play, lines get changed because of injuries. It is his job to sort through all of that but by the end of the night, if you look real close you will be hard pressed to not find one reason or another for the decisions he made. That is what you want in a coach, not a guy that simply opens the gate and let's the forwards on to the ice three at a time, damn the consequences and regardless of effectiveness.
I agree with the injury/special teams, but the whole playing well is not playing well is a BS reason to throw the blender switch on especially of it is only one line, and that has resulted in Lupul's lack of individual success as well as other lines lact of success. If Hemmer, Skykora, and whoever is playing well and Torres, Stoll, Pisani, are playing well but Horcoff and Smyth are not is there any justification to put Smyth - Horcoff - Pisani and Hemmer - Sykora - Torres together - NO especially since it will hurt the team more than that one line.

Quote:
The guy the Oilers traded for is here, he just isn't playing well and just like Raffi Torres who was in a prolonged slump of his own, it's up to the individual to snap themselves out of it, not the coach to cater to the individual. MacT's responsibility here is to make sure that when Lupul hit's the ice, regardless of who it is with, it's in a situation that allows Lupul to succeed. I think he has done a reasonable job at that, which includes him sticking up for Lupul with the reporter, and now the rest is up to Lupul.
The coach has a duty to both the team and the player, his job is to make everyone better: The Oilers, Lupul, Stoll, the forwards..etc and right now Lupul is failing because Mac T will not keep him with one guy longer than a few games (minus recently with Reasoner, who he has looked good with). Lupul is a one shot scorer, he needs someone who will know where he is when he is open and get him the puck, Lupul needs to know where to go to get that pass and how quick that pass is comming, all of that is timing and that comes with playing with people.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 05:41 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
I feel like I already addressed all this other stuff, whether you recognize the points I am making and simply disagree or are missing the points all together, it doesn't really warrant rehashing.

The two points I will comment on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
The coach has a duty to both the team and the player, ...
This is, in my opinion, flat out wrong.

The coach has a duty to the organization and the players have a duty to the coach.

The coaches only responsibility to the player is to make sure that he is played or not played in a situation that helps the team. Sometimes that means the player has to play with a number of different lines and sometimes it means the player doesn't play all together or is moved off a line.

It has nothing to do with treating a player as an individual as if he is THE priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
(minus recently with Reasoner, who he has looked good with)
Just curious, these good games that he has played recently with Reasoner, how many points has he gotten in that span? That is what he is here for right?

You know it's kinda silly really, this has basically turned into a thread where I feel that I am arguing that Lupul is barely fit to even play in the league and that is not the case at all. I think he will be a fine player and I hope that it's here in Edmonton. However, right now he is having a tough go of it and can't seem to find his way out of the darkness.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote