HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Dedication

Old
12-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Torquenstein

vCash: 500
Beer League Dedication

Hi there,

I think it's time for a new Beer League Topic.

Whats the craziest/dumbest/funniest thing of beer league dedication you ever saw?

For me I think it's a guy who actually got his teams logo as a tattoo.

Let's hear it.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My captain who's been running the team for eight years is pretty insanely dedicated. Just because of the time and effort and money involved. But no tats.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
sjmay*

Guys that show up 11pm on a Tuesday in a blizzard....

Not sure if dedication is the right word to use....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:28 PM
OpenIceHit42

There’s a guy who skates at a pickup skate I attend every now and then and depending on which color he’s on that night (the guy who runs it has rosters laid out well before the skate begins) he’ll wear the appropriate color helmet. I’ve seen him wear a red jersey/red helmet, white jersey/white helmet and last night he was wearing a blue jersey/blue helmet.

Also the same guy who skated by the bench for high 5’s after assisting on a goal last night.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Ozz

I talked my company into flying my home for the weekend during a huge hospital system project. I'd already put in roughly 90 hours that week not including my 6-hour flight back. Sure I wanted to go back home to see my family for about 2 days before coming back for the next week, and I have my own business I run on the side that I can't progress when I'm not traveling, but the main push was to play a game because we had a skeleton crew to begin with.

As luck would have it, a couple guys no-showed and so we played a man down (and got slammed) the entire game. I would have been better off not even bothering in retrospect, but the weeks prior I'd worked 88 and 108 hours on that project, and I was just itching to play hockey and let loose physically. I find it funny how I went through all of that and a couple others couldn't be bothered to get out of bed in time or whatever their problem was.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:31 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I talked my company into flying my home for the weekend during a huge hospital system project. I'd already put in roughly 90 hours that week not including my 6-hour flight back. Sure I wanted to go back home to see my family for about 2 days before coming back for the next week, and I have my own business I run on the side that I can't progress when I'm not traveling, but the main push was to play a game because we had a skeleton crew to begin with. Of course, we played a man down the entire game because we didn't get enough to show up. Would have been better to stay where I was and let them forfeit in retrospect. Funny how I went through that and some others couldn't be bothered to get out of bed or whatever their problem was.
LOL again, not sure if dedication is the right word to use

Last night I commented to the players, once you've played enough hockey, showing up at 10pm on a Sunday night isn't high up on your priority list, they then commented that I was there, and of course I was, I get paid to show up lol

Old
12-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABearshockey View Post
LOL again, not sure if dedication is the right word to use

Last night I commented to the players, once you've played enough hockey, showing up at 10pm on a Sunday night isn't high up on your priority list, they then commented that I was there, and of course I was, I get paid to show up lol
I prefer the late games personally On that note, tonight one of my teams has an 11pm vs. a team that can only play late ones. They actually play earlier in the night at another rink, then come over to this one and play later. I've done that a few times but not for 3 months in a row without fail

What I hate are the Sunday morning/afternoon games whenever it's not winter. I always have other things to do! I can certainly see how late night Sundays bother others though, depending on work schedules. I just have to get up, catch a ride to the airport, and sleep on my way to work on Mondays. Or I work at home and can get up whenever I need to. I'm lucky there for sure, plus I do well on about 6 hours of sleep.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Malarowski

I like 10 PM games a lot actually. Gives me time to clear my mind from work before playing. Anything earlier always ends in me rushing there and not having the needed focus. Getting home at 1 sucks a bit, but hey.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:11 PM
MNWild9

Their are two teams in my league that go all out. From everyone matching with both home and away colors. That before the season starts the captains contact all teams to make sure their jersey color.

I did how ever get everyone matching helmets, pants and gloves but I went the easy way. I contacted a high school who gets new equipment each year and asked them if they had any that they would be willing to give us.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild9 View Post
Their are two teams in my league that go all out. From everyone matching with both home and away colors. That before the season starts the captains contact all teams to make sure their jersey color.

I did how ever get everyone matching helmets, pants and gloves but I went the easy way. I contacted a high school who gets new equipment each year and asked them if they had any that they would be willing to give us.
We've got cheap whites, expensive sublimated darks, and some old dark "throwbacks" kicking around. Most teams here do that, but the matching pants & goalie shells are only done by a few others. No one has matching helmets or gloves unfortunately but that would be sweet. We have more guys now with matching APX/2 sticks than any other equipment though

Old
12-05-2013, 08:59 AM
shoeshine boy

so I really thought that I wouldn't have anything to contribute to this thread....until the first game of Winter season day before yesterday.
my team was playing a team that in the last 2 seasons has gone something like 2-38 so maybe they're trying to change the dynamic but it was, imo pathetic that they were "skating the bench" after every goal like they were in the NHL. later a friend on the team told me that they were giving out helmet stickers in the locker room for the "3 stars of the game". I thought all of this was sad enough but then the next day I saw on their Facebook page (the former captain was a good friend of mine) that they're doing "game recaps": http://wolfpackhockey.tumblr.com/pos...nd-battle-brew

oh and btw, this is the lowest level of beer league hockey there is.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 09:55 AM
jazzykat

Missed only 1 game after completely snapping a ligament in my ankle, and tearing another one about 1/2 way.

That might just be dumb though.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
so I really thought that I wouldn't have anything to contribute to this thread....until the first game of Winter season day before yesterday.
my team was playing a team that in the last 2 seasons has gone something like 2-38 so maybe they're trying to change the dynamic but it was, imo pathetic that they were "skating the bench" after every goal like they were in the NHL. later a friend on the team told me that they were giving out helmet stickers in the locker room for the "3 stars of the game". I thought all of this was sad enough but then the next day I saw on their Facebook page (the former captain was a good friend of mine) that they're doing "game recaps": http://wolfpackhockey.tumblr.com/pos...nd-battle-brew

oh and btw, this is the lowest level of beer league hockey there is.

Old
12-05-2013, 10:33 AM
SacredPetra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABearshockey View Post
Guys that show up 11pm on a Tuesday in a blizzard....

Not sure if dedication is the right word to use....
I do this, and the closest rink to me is a 2 hour drive in good weather...

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
I like 10 PM games a lot actually. Gives me time to clear my mind from work before playing. Anything earlier always ends in me rushing there and not having the needed focus. Getting home at 1 sucks a bit, but hey.
that's the thing i hate most about beer league

i'll still show up but it really sucks getting home at 12:30-1 AM and not being able to sleep right away because you're so amped up from the game

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:19 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredPetra View Post
I do this, and the closest rink to me is a 2 hour drive in good weather...
LOL no comment....

Old
12-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Thesensation19

I wish I had a captain or team owner like that for my beer league teams.
Best one I got was a guy who runs two teams, but everyone pays, hes a chill guy who just seems to play hockey 6 days a week and then some.

I wish I found a team that would pay for its players because of a proper sponsorship

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Kesselology
License to Phil

sometimes I'll choose playing for my team over having my girlfriend spend the night. I'm a goalie so I've pretty much gotten used to it, but getting lit up vs. getting lucky is not always a fair trade off.

FWIW I thought of many puns that involve scoring, rubber and groin pulls but this is a family-friendly board.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Stickchecked

I moved to Canada to play and be surrounded by hockey.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:22 PM
connor macdavid
CIS broadcaster

vCash: 400
Just thought this series would be perfect for this particular thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz6FyrWZOFk

Essentially about a beer leaguer who takes himself and his league a TAD too seriously

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 06:57 PM
MattGTI

Don't know if it counts, but I am seriously not looking forward to a two week trip to Hawaii in February(mind you the dead of winer here in MA) solely because I am bummed out I will be missing two games with my team.

I love my girlfriend and all, and want to go to Hawaii.......btu really hate missing two games. Like I am already bummed out about 2 months in advance.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 08:59 AM
shoeshine boy

once you see the beauty of Hawaii you'll be fine.
if you're staying on Oahu and like shrimp I recommend Giovanni's White Shrimp Truck on the North Shore: http://giovannisshrimptruck.com/
the shrimp scampi is AWESOME!!!

if you're staying on Maui I recommend Pita Paradise in Kihei: http://www.pitaparadisehawaii.com/
and if you like sushi, Koiso. you'll need a reservation as the restaurant only sets about 12 people.

sorry for the hijack.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 04:11 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
once you see the beauty of Hawaii you'll be fine.
if you're staying on Oahu and like shrimp I recommend Giovanni's White Shrimp Truck on the North Shore: http://giovannisshrimptruck.com/
the shrimp scampi is AWESOME!!!

if you're staying on Maui I recommend Pita Paradise in Kihei: http://www.pitaparadisehawaii.com/
and if you like sushi, Koiso. you'll need a reservation as the restaurant only sets about 12 people.

sorry for the hijack.
Thanks for the recommendations! Its appreciated. As I said- I know I will enjoy myself, and am looking forward to taking two weeks off from work and winter.
It just burns me that I will be missing two games. I am one of those people, if I sign up and commit to something, I want to be there. Plus, its hockey, so its even easier to want to be playing. Ah well, first outdoor skate of the season tomorrow before the snow hits here tomorrow night!

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 04:55 PM

I know how you feel. They moved my league's season back a week and the championship now falls on my bachelor party weekend in Vegas. Shucks (I'm sure I'll get over it FAST though).

304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 11:35 AM
HamDangled

Left a family vacation in Florida a week early so I could play in a house league Christmas tournament. Worth it.

HamDangled is offline   Reply With Quote