HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avs Interested in Kulikov?

Old
12-05-2013, 02:36 AM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Avs Interested in Kulikov?

According to this article they are:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...kulikov/15898/

The question is - what would we give up? I'd love to get him he's a big body and left handed too.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 04:47 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Should the title of Dater's article be "Are" and not "Is"?

We've been long rumored to desire grabbing him from Florida.
It honestly depends on what they Panthers are trying to do with him.
Are they giving up on him and trying to send him away? Are they attempting to maximize his trade value as a younger player or will they use him to gain a vet piece that fits their team better?

It could be as little as Wilson or as much as Siemen +. It depends on the goal of the Panthers and also how much the Avs value him.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
So us talking about it for 5 pages on the "in-season proposals" thread wasn't enough? We need a thread as well?

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I've watched Florida a couple games and each time i wasn't impressed by his play . Maybe i need to watch more games , idk , but not a single time i went : wow he's the real deal .

Now , if in fact we really want him , I hope the Avs wont give up Heaven and earth to acquire him . I mean with the KHL rumours regarding Kulokov , it's clear that the Avs would have the upper hand in nogociations with Florida and THEY MUST take advantage of this reality .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:25 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Kulikov is a toolsy player. Has all the talent needed to be an excellent defensemen, but has yet to show he has the toolbox. He makes far too many mental mistakes for my taste. Maybe Roy thinks that his system, would help him make better decisions?

In reality, it would be a really risky trade to get him, but one that could pay off. If it only cost McGinn or Wilson with a small + it would probably be worth it. If they wanted a 1st, I would stay away.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:27 AM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Kulikov is a toolsy player. Has all the talent needed to be an excellent defensemen, but has yet to show he has the toolbox. He makes far too many mental mistakes for my taste. Maybe Roy thinks that his system, would help him make better decisions?

In reality, it would be a really risky trade to get him, but one that could pay off. If it only cost McGinn or Wilson with a small + it would probably be worth it. If they wanted a 1st, I would stay away.
Or that he can minimize the decisions. Make safe easy plays. Like Sarich, Guenin, Benoit, Hejda.

I'm more worried about health with Kulikov. He plays a hard game and has been a little injury prone.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:36 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Or that he can minimize the decisions. Make safe easy plays. Like Sarich, Guenin, Benoit, Hejda.

I'm more worried about health with Kulikov. He plays a hard game and has been a little injury prone.
Just make him do yoga with ROR.

Old
12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
I could go either way on Kulikov as a player. I would definitely acquire him if it didn't require a first though.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:53 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:

These are the exact same things I would have said about EJ throughout most of his career before this year. Maybe Roy thinks he can turn Kulikov around similarly?

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:22 AM
S3rkie

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
These are the exact same things I would have said about EJ throughout most of his career before this year. Maybe Roy thinks he can turn Kulikov around similarly?
Absolutely, Kulikov has been playing in terrible systems with inept coaching staffs. There is a reason why Florida has been in the bottom for so long only to lose their players who become big pieces in other markets.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:26 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:

Reminds me of Shawn Belle

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Reminds me of Shawn Belle
It actually speaks of a lot of defensemen. A big difference between Belle and Kulikov is that Kulikov is at minimum a solid NHL player, Belle was a AHL player at best.

Old
12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
Absolutely, Kulikov has been playing in terrible systems with inept coaching staffs. There is a reason why Florida has been in the bottom for so long only to lose their players who become big pieces in other markets.
Florida has developed some good players, just not enough of them. I think the failure is a lot more on their drafting than their development.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 400
Quote:
Bouwmeester is the only one that I can think of that went on to be a big piece, and even that was debatable until this season. Jokinen declined severely, Horton was never really all that great anywhere, Weiss looks like a worse signing than Clarkson.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:56 PM
mitchgoalie31

correct me if im wrong but didn't Roy use to see Kulikov play when he was with Drummondville? He did play in the Quebec major Junior

mitchgoalie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
Exactly.

With what Roy has done with EJ and Hejda this year, I think Kulikov would really turn his game around under Roy as a coach.

After all, he is still pretty damn young and has a lot of potential. He could certainly still develop into a solid #2 Dman for us.

Kulikov - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Sarich - Benoit
Guenin

That looks like a respectable Defense IMO. Replace Sarich and Benoit with Bigras and Elliott/Siemens next year.

As long as our 1st isn't involved, I'm all for acquiring him. McGinn + Wilson would be fine by me.

Then, we could use our 1st + to get a good Top 6 PWF winger as well.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgoalie31 View Post
correct me if im wrong but didn't Roy use to see Kulikov play when he was with Drummondville? He did play in the Quebec major Junior
Both him and Tourigny had to be well aware of him. He had an outstanding season his one year in the Q.

He put up 62 points in 57 games, and then followed that up with 20 points in 19 playoff games winning the QMJHL title, and then losing in the semi final of the memorial cup. Patrick would have faced his team in the Q finals, but Quebec lost to Shawinigan.

He also won Defenseman of the Year, Best Pro Prospect, Rookie of the Year, Defensive Rookie of the Year, and was the lone defenseman on the first All Star team in the Q after the season.

They basically saw him at the peak of his career so far.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
Bouwmeester is the only one that I can think of that went on to be a big piece, and even that was debatable until this season. Jokinen declined severely, Horton was never really all that great anywhere, Weiss looks like a worse signing than Clarkson.
Garrison was another huge mismanage, Jovo had some solid years after leaving, both Campbell and Horton were nice additions to that bruins team. Frolik was loved on the hawks. Not many bonified stars but all solid pieces that helped other teams be successful. They also ruined a lot of prospects, like Dadanov, Ellerby, now are having trouble developing Markstrom.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 04:58 PM
hockeyfish

vCash: 108
Quote:
Garrison was another huge mismanage, Jovo had some solid years after leaving, both Campbell and Horton were nice additions to that bruins team. Frolik was loved on the hawks. Not many bonified stars but all solid pieces that helped other teams be successful. They also ruined a lot of prospects, like Dadanov, Ellerby, now are having trouble developing Markstrom.
Lets not forget about Luongo.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Lemieux22

I'd do McGinn and Wilson and a mid round pick for Kulikov and Scottie Upshall.

Lemieux22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieux22 View Post
I'd do McGinn and Wilson and a mid round pick for Kulikov and Scottie Upshall.
We's need to add more to get Upshall. I know he's overpaid but he's their leading scorer right now and they are pretty much at the cap floor.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote