HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Morris

Old
01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
okgooil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Question - how many years left does Morris have on his contract. If his contract does not end this season, then I say no.

Even if he was free, I wouldn't touch that contract. okgooil, you say that $4 million isn't that much for a top 4 dman - would you be happy paying that for Staios or Smith?
Well as much as every one wants to look at this year, and ya he sucks this year, but hey players have slumps. over his career his numbers arn't bad, per 82 games he is a 40 point player, in the new NHL and taking out his first few years, I mean most players start slower, I don't think it is that far of to say he could put up 45-50. He is still a good player, buy low sell high right? Well if we go after a buy high D man it will cost us a lot, morris would be given away, to the guy who said we could work out a deal, it would basically be Morris for a PTBNL, if we throw in a draft pick they would probably pay part of the salery, throw in the 1st from ANaheim and they would probably pay 1 mill per year. Well that is just speculation, but who knows. It isn't as bad a option as some might think, also he is a edmonton boy.

ps Stios would have got 3 mill or so on the open market, and he doen'st put up the points morris does.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:24 PM
dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well as much as every one wants to look at this year, and ya he sucks this year, but hey players have slumps. over his career his numbers arn't bad, per 82 games he is a 40 point player, in the new NHL and taking out his first few years, I mean most players start slower, I don't think it is that far of to say he could put up 45-50. He is still a good player, buy low sell high right? Well if we go after a buy high D man it will cost us a lot, morris would be given away, to the guy who said we could work out a deal, it would basically be Morris for a PTBNL, if we throw in a draft pick they would probably pay part of the salery, throw in the 1st from ANaheim and they would probably pay 1 mill per year. Well that is just speculation, but who knows. It isn't as bad a option as some might think, also he is a edmonton boy.

ps Stios would have got 3 mill or so on the open market, and he doen'st put up the points morris does.
Just FYI, I'm pretty sure the new CBA states that teams can no longer pay a part of a traded players salary.

dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Hemsky4PM

Yeah, there is no paying a portion or a players contract anymore (other than via re-entry waivers).

Morris is way too expensive for the Oilers to consider.

I really think the way to go for the Oilers is just to get a rental or two (Sopel and Brewer for instance) and just wait until the summer to sign one big name guy who can play 25 minutes and run the pp (Souray, Markov, Timonen, Rafalski, Stuart, Salo). If the cost of getting a guy like Visnovsky is too high I don't see the point. It's going to be a monumental task for the Oilers to get back to the finals this season and next season is probably more critical. Next year you never know, a guy like Gilbert could be ready to play, maybe Smid improves his offense. I just don't want to see them sell the farm to get a guy like Visnovsky who only has one more year on his deal anyways.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Yeah, there is no paying a portion or a players contract anymore (other than via re-entry waivers).
Is it not pathetic though how apparently all 30 GM's would like this rule to be taken out....and I would imagine that the players wouldn't be too against it either as it would give guys who are slumping and feeling the heat a fresh start in a new city(like Nedved). If the league doesn't go to the players and ask what they think of the idea after the season they will once again prove how stupid they really are....I know once a player signs in a city he wants to stay there, but if he's THAT concerned with staying in the city maybe he should be lowering his asking price and instead trying to get a no trade clause when negotiating

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:30 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I'm not gonna lie to you man, even though people had there expectations set waaaaaayyyyyyy too high for Lupul this season, I don't think he's having too bad of year. Lupul would command a lot, Lupul would command a Keith Ballard and maybe a little bit more like a 2nd or 3rd rounder in my mind. I know Ballard isn't bad defensivly, but he's not that great in his own end either.
Last year, I would have 100% agreed with you, but he is turning into the beast that we all knew he could be. Check the game where we played Columbus and he shut Nash down. He is really developing in his own end and next year will be truly a top pairing defenseman.
27GP 2g 8a 10P +3. His point totals are lower than later year but that is due to the fact he is focusing more on his defensive game. The +3 is awesome considering his deplorable -18 later year.

P.S. AY, we have a playermaker in Nagy, the guy loves to pass the puck, I'd be really curious to see what they could do together.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote