HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Orr suspended for 5 games (merged)

Old
01-03-2007, 01:12 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I totally agree. I've been an outspoken critic of Orr all season, but at the same time I've tried to make it clear that I do like the kid, what he stands for and what he tries to provide. I'm just not convinced he brings anything to the table, and it frustrates me to see him dress and Prucha/Immo etc. as scratches.
Prucha yes...Immo as a scratch does not bother me

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFan35 View Post
Whoa, so now Morrison and Hanlon were not given the automatic fines??

Look

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Cant Sather or Renney appeal it?? What I dont understand is that they did not get a suspension cause in the last 5 mins if u instigate a fight, u get suspended and the coach would get fined? This did not happen in this case. Since they messed up on the rule, cant Sather or Renney do anything????? If any of the Rangers instigated the fight, we know that they would most likely get suspeded.

did some of you just start watching hockey?

lemme put it to you like this:

same game situation, only this time its the rags/islanders.

orr = simon
ovechkin = jagr
morrisonn = straka

do you think straka and renney should be fined and suspended? i sure dont.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post

did some of you just start watching hockey?

lemme put it to you like this:

same game situation, only this time its the rags/islanders.

orr = simon
ovechkin = jagr
morrisonn = straka

do you think straka and renney should be fined and suspended? i sure dont.
Ummm Drugs R Bad

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:22 PM
DutchShamrock

Ok, I see the point. Morrison is protecting Ovechkin. But that is exactly why that rule is in place. To prevent vigilantism. It is not up to an individual player to take the issue into his own hands. The refs called the infraction and were going to put Orr in the box. Since he instigated a fight in a game that was out of reach (the spirit of the rule) he should have been suspended and the coach fined. Once you start allowing for exemptions (unless they are for errors identifying the instigator) you will open the floodgates and the rule will be rendered useless.

Now, you can argue that the rule is stupid and that it is wrong to apply it to the case here, but that isn't what is open to interpretation.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Ok, I see the point. Morrison is protecting Ovechkin. But that is exactly why that rule is in place. To prevent vigilantism. It is not up to an individual player to take the issue into his own hands. The refs called the infraction and were going to put Orr in the box. Since he instigated a fight in a game that was out of reach (the spirit of the rule) he should have been suspended and the coach fined. Once you start allowing for exemptions (unless they are for errors identifying the instigator) you will open the floodgates and the rule will be rendered useless.

Now, you can argue that the rule is stupid and that it is wrong to apply it to the case here, but that isn't what is open to interpretation.

well, not exactly. the last 5 minute deal is primarily there to prevent "message sending" in decided games. case in point, the caps against the trashers several weeks ago. hanlon put out brashear, erskine and bradley, and all three fought. huggybear deserved his suspension and fine as did hanlon.

its also there to try and prevent what orr did, which is basically come off the bench, avoid the puck and play, and go after a player. had ov seen him coming, he might have started fighting, although i doubt it would have been more than just holding on for dear life. LOL

but above all that the league, and more to the point campbell, has the right/ability to review game tape and decide if more or less penalties should be levied. and thats exactly what he did.

now, had hanlon put sutherby out there after the orr hit, and he went after straka and fought him, no doubt that sutherby sees the press box for a couple games and hanlon/the caps stroke another $30K check to mr buttman.

its all about context.

and i agree, the instigator and the last 5 minute deal, is borderline utterly stupid.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote