HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Craig Smith

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2013, 07:16 AM
  #1
germanshark1311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Craig Smith

hey guys,

can you say me more about this player? I like his style playing the game. Can he be a top 6 forward with his skills and abilities? I saw him the last world championship and he was very impressed...

Thank you for your answers!

germanshark1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 08:08 AM
  #2
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Yes he can be a top 6 forward but he has some more work to do on his game especially on the defense end in the current system he plays in. IMO his skill set and what he is good at does not fit what Trotz stubborn ways require. He is also mixed and matched constantly with different players and has never had the chance to gel build chemistry with anyone. This again due to coaching.

He shows the speed, skill, and creativity to be a top 6 already. It's a matter of being put into a position to excel. Will he be a top 6 in Trotz eyes? doubt it. Any other team I would be willing to go with yes top 6.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 08:52 AM
  #3
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Great puck-handling, wheels and overall skill set. Has a drive to make things happen on the ice. Very underrated young player who needs some time to grow his game and work through his mistakes. I don't think his defensive game is his strong suit. Has probably the best offensive skills of our young players since Radulov IMO.

He looks like one of those players who has become afraid to make mistakes on the ice. Would probably have had much better numbers in another system.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:33 AM
  #4
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Yes he can be a top 6 forward but he has some more work to do on his game especially on the defense end in the current system he plays in. IMO his skill set and what he is good at does not fit what Trotz stubborn ways require. He is also mixed and matched constantly with different players and has never had the chance to gel build chemistry with anyone. This again due to coaching.

He shows the speed, skill, and creativity to be a top 6 already. It's a matter of being put into a position to excel. Will he be a top 6 in Trotz eyes? doubt it. Any other team I would be willing to go with yes top 6.
except that he's not mixed-and-matched, he's skated with Cullen virtually all year, except last night when they needed to move Stahlberg to get him going so they swapped him and Smith, cause their games and contributions to their respective lines are similar. (aside - that's a good swap if Cullen and Stahls can get some chemistry cause FF on that line in Spals spot would be interesting)

Oh, the question; good wheels, quick shot, decent to better puck handler. Needs better judgement on passing - when and touch. Needs to improve accuracy of shot if he's gonna' be legit top 6. His defense is MUCH improved; it could be better, but it's mostly passable even in Trotz' system.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:55 AM
  #5
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
except that he's not mixed-and-matched, he's skated with Cullen virtually all year, except last night when they needed to move Stahlberg to get him going so they swapped him and Smith, cause their games and contributions ti their respective lines are similar. (aside - that's a good swap if Cullen and Stahls can get some chemistry cause FF on that line in Spals spot would be interesting)

Oh, the question; good wheels, quick shot, decent to better puck handler. Needs better judgement on passing - when and touch. Needs to improve accuracy of shot if he's gonna' be legit top 6. His defense is MUCH improved; it could be better, but it's mostly passable even in Trotz' system.
Virtually all year huh.. In what universe?

He has played with Cullen sure but that is still not the same 3 forwards building chemistry. 5-7 games with Cullen is not virtually all year.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
  #6
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Virtually all year huh.. In what universe?

He has played with Cullen sure but that is still not the same 3 forwards building chemistry. 5-7 games with Cullen is not virtually all year.
I may be wrong, but I thought he had been with Cullen since mid to late October as that was the only line working in the early parts of the season. The only difference was it was Bourque on there with him in the early games, then the other winger has been different for some games, but seemed to have steadied with Spaling there until last night..

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 12:32 PM
  #7
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 50
Sorry I don't buy the "wrong linemates" argument on Smith. I think he skates pretty well and is working harder this year but when you get right down to it getting a puck past an NHL goalie takes a level of skill and Smith has not yet shown that to the extent that he is going to be a top 6 player.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 12:43 PM
  #8
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,900
vCash: 500
Most of the national games are against NHL goalies aren't they? He has no problem scoring against them.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM
  #9
weeze
Registered User
 
weeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
I have always liked Smith, fast, hard worker, plays a little out of control but gives it his all. Does he score like we would like him too, no. But who does on this team. I think he and VS are our two fastest players. He is still young and I agree he would probably do better in an offense oriented system that would utilize his skill set. But that is not what we use in Nashville. Defense, defense, defense with a smidge of offense.

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:14 PM
  #10
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Most of the national games are against NHL goalies aren't they? He has no problem scoring against them.
I would say they aren't against NHL starters for the most part…

but hey, maybe he just saves his best effort for his country

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 03:39 AM
  #11
germanshark1311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
why isn´t he playing the last games? is he injured?

germanshark1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 04:27 AM
  #12
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
He was a healthy scratch vs Washington.

The last 2 games he's had the flu.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 10:36 AM
  #13
preds1
Registered User
 
preds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
He was a healthy scratch vs Washington.

The last 2 games he's had the flu.
He didn't look sick last night up in the box with Pekka and Ekholm.
Might be over it finally.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 12:02 PM
  #14
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
He didn't look sick last night up in the box with Pekka and Ekholm.
Might be over it finally.
probably would have played had the 4th line not had 9 points the previous game.

will be interesting to see when he does return and who he replaces when he does.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 12:48 PM
  #15
Fortheloveofthegame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
probably would have played had the 4th line not had 9 points the previous game.

will be interesting to see when he does return and who he replaces when he does.
Bourque entered the dreaded "doghouse" in the third last night so I am guessing Smith comes in for him, knowing Trotz.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 12:52 PM
  #16
analogkid
Thread Killer
 
analogkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Almo Heights, KY
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Somewhat off topic but where exactly is the press box? It's not like they are sitting up there with Pete and Terry.

analogkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
  #17
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid View Post
Somewhat off topic but where exactly is the press box? It's not like they are sitting up there with Pete and Terry.
I believe they sit in section 314 in the window area. I have seen Clune and Spaling there during a game before.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 10:31 AM
  #18
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,022
vCash: 500
Saw something interesting earlier this week on Twitter:

Craig Smith is second on the team in points. Second in shots on goal. First in goals.

14th in iceteam...averages a minute more than Gaustad per game, a minute less than Nystrom.

Maybe personnel management is part of the problem afterall?

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 10:33 AM
  #19
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Smith is a gamer. Has the best skill I've seen from a Preds young player since Radulov. I think playing with Matt Cullen is helping him out a ton. Go figure, his development improves when not playing with grinders. I'd be curious to see how close he was to being traded or waived this offseason.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:09 AM
  #20
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Saw something interesting earlier this week on Twitter:

Craig Smith is second on the team in points. Second in shots on goal. First in goals.

14th in iceteam...averages a minute more than Gaustad per game, a minute less than Nystrom.

Maybe personnel management is part of the problem afterall?
yeah, but 6 are dmen. so 7 forwards log more time. of those 7, 3 are centers.

Would't you have to look at it from a W standpoint? Wilson, Hornquist, Spaling, Nystrom. You could argue, although not on performance, but potential rather that 33 and 27 deserve more. And the other 2 are 2 of your top penalty killers.

Maybe we should have Gaustad not taking penalties 200 feet from his net every other game and stop taking the stupid lazy bench minors and he would see 2-3 more shifts a game

btw, they ever say who too the too many men from the other night?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 11:15 AM
  #21
twig
Registered User
 
twig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Smith is a gamer. Has the best skill I've seen from a Preds young player since Radulov. I think playing with Matt Cullen is helping him out a ton. Go figure, his development improves when not playing with grinders. I'd be curious to see how close he was to being traded or waived this offseason.
i hope trotz is closer to being traded or waived.

twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 03:48 PM
  #22
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
I'm not sure what the big deal is.

People were flipping their @!@! when they thought Smith was benched. Turned out he was sick. Then, someone saw him the press box and he "didn't look sick". What a bunch of BS! People are just looking for a reason to be pissed at Trotz.

Smith is playing well right now. He missed 3 games, likely to flu. He's a streaky player that has a hot hand now. He also happened to have 17:30 of icetime against the Bruins, and Trotz is trying to ride his hot hand right now. Maybe he can develop consistency. It is just his 2nd full season.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:12 PM
  #23
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred
 
jwhouk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 500
You can look "not sick" if you're on a bunch of pain meds - and you're already in peak physical condition.

The flu bug can be an insidious little biatch. You can look fine but internally feel like the world is closing in on you.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:07 PM
  #24
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Saw something interesting earlier this week on Twitter:

Craig Smith is second on the team in points. Second in shots on goal. First in goals.

14th in iceteam...averages a minute more than Gaustad per game, a minute less than Nystrom.

Maybe personnel management is part of the problem afterall?
he was not a leader in any of those categories until he went on his little splurge the last three games.

he has 10 goals but three two goal games, which means he has 4 goals in the other 31 games..

up until the last 3 games he's been nothing special, very inconsistent

I hope this latest stretch means he's solved his mental issues and has figured out how to score more consistently… if thats the case his ice time will rise dramatically

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 08:45 AM
  #25
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
People were flipping their @!@! when they thought Smith was benched. Turned out he was sick. Then, someone saw him the press box and he "didn't look sick". What a bunch of BS! People are just looking for a reason to be pissed at Trotz.
The first game was a healthy scratch, the next ones were due to the flu. Smith said it as much during a pre game interview the other night.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.