HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars @ Oilers: Post Game Comment and Video

Old
01-05-2007, 01:37 AM
imkinger

vCash: 500
Stars @ Oilers: Post Game Comment and Video

http://always-on-the-road.blogspot.c...mment-and.html

MattM and I decided to head down to the Black Frog once again this evening in hopes of catching another solid Oiler victory. While it was a wildly entertaining game, it was also a fairly disappointing performance by the Oil. Mistakes were made by just about everyone: forwards, defensemen, vets and rookies. Unfortunately on this night, Roli wasn't able to bail anyone out. A few observations:

- Horcoff looked great out there with Smyth and Lupul. He made a great deflection-pass to setup Smytty on Lupul's goal, and roofed a laser top shelf off of the rush. This line had a really solid night.

- Stoll's line kept up their stellar play. They were solid in the both zones all game, especially late in the third when we were looking for the equalizer. The STP line is pretty much gold.

- The Czechs weren't so great. They had a few nice offensive shifts, but didn't manage to generate any quality chances. Defensively, this line pretty much lived up to expectations: it was horrible. The second Stars goal was almost comical, Sykora is playing the role of the low man - generally the centers job in the defensive zone - and plays his check pretty soft behind the net. The Stars player throws the puck back to the point which results in a slap shot wide. Then two Stars then go behind the net to fetch the puck and Gator follows. The Star closest to Gator feeds it off to the 2nd man (the one that the low man is supposed to be on), which forces Greene to cheat away from the front of the net. Next thing you know, Mattias Tjarnqvist receives a pass in front of the net and no Oiler is within 5 feet. You can pretty much put this goal squarely on Sykora's shoulders. It was his responsibility to either check the guy behind the net or make sure Tjarnqvist was covered.

- Generally, a fourth lines job is to provide your team with some energy and not get scored on; any sort of offense is pretty much a bonus. Tonight, our fourth line didn't do it's job. In the first period, Jacques was out there throwing some hits and everything seemed fine. However, Dallas' first goal can pretty much be summarized as a couple rookie mistakes. First, Jacques missed a 3 foot pass deep in the Dallas zone, which then led to a 3 on 3 rush. Second, on that rush, Pouliot messed up his coverage and gave Stefan a clear lane to the net. Next thing you know, the Stars are back in the game.

- Gator got caught on a bad pinch on the 5th goal, it wasn't Greene's fault.

- Smid is out 7-10 days, at least that means Hejda stays in the line up.

- The tying goal is pretty much beyond words. I think the hockey Gods were evening up the McGeough score.

Last edited by imkinger: 01-05-2007 at 02:23 AM.
imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
http://always-on-the-road.blogspot.c...mment-and.html

MattM and I decided to catch the game at the Black Frog again this evening in hopes of catching another solid Oiler victory. While it was a wildly entertaining game, it was also a fairly disappointing performance by the Oil. Mistakes were made by just about everyone: forwards, defensemen, vets and rookies. Unfortunately on this night, Roli wasn't able to bail anyone out. A few observations:

- Horcoff looked great out there with Smyth and Lupul. He made a great deflection-pass to setup Smytty on Lupul's goal, and roofed a laser top shelf off of the rush. This line had a really solid night.

- Stoll's line kept up their stellar play. They were solid in the both zones all game, especially late in the third when we were looking for the equalizer. The STP line is pretty much gold.

- The Czechs weren't so great. They had a few nice offensive shifts, but didn't manage to generate any quality chances. Defensively, this line pretty much lived up to expectations: it was horrible. The second Stars goal was almost comical, Sykora is playing the role of the low man - generally the centers job in the defensive zone - and plays his check pretty soft behind the net. The Stars player throws the puck back to the point which results in a slap shot wide. Then two Stars then go behind the net to fetch the puck and Gator follows. The Star closest to Gator feeds it off to the 2nd man (the one that the low man is supposed to be on), which forces Greene to cheat away from the front of the net. Next thing you know, Mattias Tjarnqvist receives a pass in front of the net and no Oiler is within 5 feet. You can pretty much put this goal squarely on Sykora's shoulders. It was his responsibility to either check the guy behind the net or make sure Tjarnqvist was covered.

- Generally, a fourth lines job is to provide your team with some energy and not get scored on; any sort of offense is pretty much a bonus. Tonight, our fourth line didn't do it's job. In the first period, Jacques was out there throwing some hits and everything seemed fine. However, Dallas' first goal can pretty much be summarized as a couple rookie mistakes. First, Jacques missed a 3 foot pass deep in the Dallas zone, which then led to a 3 on 3 rush. Second, on that rush, Pouliot messed up his coverage and gave Stefan a clear lane to the net. Next thing you know, the Stars are back in the game.

- Gator got caught on a bad pinch on the 5th goal, it wasn't Greene's fault.

- Smid is out 7-10 days, at least that means Hejda stays in the line up.

- The tying goal is pretty much beyond words. I think the hockey Gods were evening up the McGeough score.

I agree with much of your game summary. For the first time in a while, I didnt leave rexall disapointed with lupuls performance. Maybe getting a second chance on the big line with smyth and horc will give him a boost.

It is difficult to describe horcoffs play tonight. I think he made a few too many bad passes and giveways to say that he had a great game, but still, I thought he was very solid.

I dont know which line I want to see on the ice in the third period in a tight game right now... Each line seems to have their defensive liabilities (except the czech line, which is ALL defensive liabilities)... Do you think that MacT should double shift pisani with horcoff and smyth in these situations? It will be nice when Ethan is back to make this a little easier though. Still, for a team that is accused of such horrible defensive play, this was the first game this season they have lost after leading after 2 periods.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:59 AM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
It is difficult to describe horcoffs play tonight. I think he made a few too many bad passes and giveways to say that he had a great game, but still, I thought he was very solid.
Yea, at times he was sloppy with the puck. I just felt that overall it was a quality effort, fairly different from what we have seen this year. Generally he's been good with the puck, but offensively inept. Tonight he made a couple nice plays in the Dallas zone, but at times could be described as careless with the puck in his own end and the neutral zone.

Quote:
I dont know which line I want to see on the ice in the third period in a tight game right now... Each line seems to have their defensive liabilities (except the czech line, which is ALL defensive liabilities)... Do you think that MacT should double shift pisani with horcoff and smyth in these situations? It will be nice when Ethan is back to make this a little easier though. Still, for a team that is accused of such horrible defensive play, this was the first game this season they have lost after leading after 2 periods.
That's a really good question. I actually think what MacT did tonight late in the game was the right choice. When we are behind late in a game, we can't really be sitting our 3rd leading goal scorer on the bench in favour of double shifting Pisani. Lupul may be a liability, but Horcoff and Smyth should be able to compensate for his mistakes.

I'm far more concerned with the Czech line late in games. You want Hemsky on the ice, no question, but can these guys be trusted to not make the mistakes that turn 1 goal into 2 goal deficits? In all honesty, the jury is still out. My hope is that they can generate enough scoring to compensate for their lack of defense. Unfortunately, tonight they were not able to create much 5on5, and played a big part in a goal against. For now I think MacT is heading in the right direction, we'll have to see how the next few games pan out.

Oh, and one more thing, it's pretty awesome that the Smyth - Horcoff - Lupul line got going tonight. It's just a matter of time before Hemsky and Sykora get their rhythm back. Sykora leads the team with 12 even strength goals, with Hemsky assisting on 8 of them. These two can do some real damage 5 on 5, regardless of who they are out there with.

Last edited by imkinger: 01-05-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old
01-05-2007, 02:11 AM
Rin

All i can say is, tomorrow...

JF-Jacques-Press box
MAP-Press box
Winchester- 4th line
Petersen- 4th line

Tonight is a perfect example of why Petersen is USUALLY in the lineup. As stated before, he CAN play D. Now i'm not saying put him on the blueline for every game, but in a game like tonight...when we were up by 3 goals and down a dman, he could have taken a few shifts and given the rest of the dmen a break, to keep them fresh. He is a big part of the PK, he is great defensively, and he would have played more than 3mins like JF-Jacques keeping our top forwards fresh. Winchester provides what Jacques does, and more. Tjarnqvist is supposedly injured, and with Smid out for 7-10days...Roy draws in, we'll have little to no room for more rookie mistakes up front.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:22 AM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post

JF-Jacques-Press box
MAP-Press box
Winchester- 4th line
Petersen- 4th line

Tonight is a perfect example of why Petersen is USUALLY in the lineup. As stated before, he CAN play D. Now i'm not saying put him on the blueline for every game, but in a game like tonight...when we were up by 3 goals and down a dman, he could have taken a few shifts and given the rest of the dmen a break, to keep them fresh. He is a big part of the PK, he is great defensively, and he would have played more than 3mins like JF-Jacques keeping our top forwards fresh. Winchester provides what Jacques does, and more. Tjarnqvist is supposedly injured, and with Smid out for 7-10days...Roy draws in, we'll have little to no room for more rookie mistakes up front.
I agree Rin, would have been very nice to have Petersen in the line up tonight.

Old
01-05-2007, 04:58 AM
oiler4ever

Quote:

JF-Jacques-Press box
MAP-Press box
Winchester- 4th line
Petersen- 4th line

I agree with you 100% there. BTW Rin, you almost walked away with 2-0 GDT Record for 2007

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:16 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
I agree with you 100% there. BTW Rin, you almost walked away with 2-0 GDT Record for 2007
I know, and i put my jersey on very late in the 3rd, maybe around the 15min mark. So this also lost my jersey putting on rally effort...thing. I could have been 2-0 with that as well. Both times i did it was against Dallas as well. So now, do i make a GDT tonight for the vancouver game? Or leave it for someone else?

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 07:53 AM
oiler4ever

Quote:
I know, and i put my jersey on very late in the 3rd, maybe around the 15min mark. So this also lost my jersey putting on rally effort...thing. I could have been 2-0 with that as well. Both times i did it was against Dallas as well. So now, do i make a GDT tonight for the vancouver game? Or leave it for someone else?
do it, keep that lady luck

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 08:13 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I don't understand how Jacques gets to play ahead of Peterson and Winchester........................................ .....................

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Yanner39

You know, you gotta hand it to the Stars Sportsnet showed the lineups last night and I thought the Oilers had a good chance. But man, they have a bunch of workhorses on that team. That Conner guy was very good. The Oilers were spending way too much time in their end and the Stars didn't have Morrow, Modano, and Lindros.

I don't know, but this loss really has to kill MacT. It's one thing to lose but this team is being outworked and 7 months ago, they were outworking Detroit, SJ and Anaheim.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
What does everyone think of keeping the Czech line together?? Im kinda split on the idea, i want to give them a try, and let them create a little bit of offence or do we split them and keep Sykora and Hemsky together and try MAP on the line, and letting Nedved center or wing the 4th line? What does everyone think?

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:16 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
I don't understand how Jacques gets to play ahead of Peterson and Winchester........................................ .....................
Last season it was the other way. *g*
Why is playing Winchester and not Jacques...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote