HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Dallas @ Edmonton 01.04.07 @ 7:00pm MST

Old
01-05-2007, 01:30 AM
gr8haluschak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckconscious View Post
For those blaming Roli vs those blaming D, its a combination of both, obviously the two are correlated, you cant blame one without blaming the other. We aren't getting that bonafide #1 goalie that we saw in the beginning of the season to carry us through, and we aren't getting any #1 dmen to help overcome goalie deficiencies, so it needs to be a combined effort that isn't happening.
no the problem is now that roli is not making the saves that he did before, the ones like he did on dan cleary. Added to that you have to hope that your defense can come to your aid once in a while and I honestly don't remember then doing that at all this year.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Matty31

Send a message via MSN to Matty31
I agree that Roli has played horrible. He has not made a big save when the Oil needed it.
Before flaming me I do play goalie and somewhat know what I'm talking about.

First - It was a nice wrist shot but stoppable. Most NHL starters would have had that one.

Second goal - You would think he had no chance but Roli was on his knees down early when the guy was behind the net, so when the pass came out to the guy in front he was grossly out of position. He shouldnt put himself out of position like that when there is no real threat from the office. Most goalies that are protecting the post can still push off and get those slot shots.

Third goal - One timer from the slot that went five hole. This was a perfect chance to make a big save. Again it was stoppable as the shot was along the ice and the shot went across the way he was sliding. There was no screen and the shot was not a laser.

Fourth goal- Seeing eye wrister from the point off the post. Not much he can do about that as it was a bad break for the Oil.

Fifith goal - Looked ridicuously silly guessing on his left side. He should have stayed upright and followed the skater backwards. Since the dman was coming in on him we wouldnt have been able to do much of a move, most shooters would have went five hole. Roli guessed really early and dove left with his glove hand. I think he was still reeling from losing the lead and his in-game confidence was falling.

The shootout can't really be judged since the Dallas shooters are great but everyone knew the Oilers were toast if they didnt score in OT.

I'm not saying it is all Roli's fault but his confidence is definitely at a low and the Oilers need him to step it up to help make up for the defenses mistakes.

It was like how Phx was early in the year with bad goaltending. All the defensive errors were highlighted since the goaltenders couldnt bail them out or make a big save.

It definitely is frustrating when we get 4,5, or 6 goals and still lose. It is demoralizing to a team.

Matty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 01:52 AM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty31 View Post
I agree that Roli has played horrible. He has not made a big save when the Oil needed it.
Before flaming me I do play goalie and somewhat know what I'm talking about.
well I am a goalie coach so I am not blowing smoke out of my ___ either

Quote:
First - It was a nice wrist shot but stoppable. Most NHL starters would have had that one.
agree

Quote:
Second goal - You would think he had no chance but Roli was on his knees down early when the guy was behind the net, so when the pass came out to the guy in front he was grossly out of position. He shouldnt put himself out of position like that when there is no real threat from the office. Most goalies that are protecting the post can still push off and get those slot shots.
really how did he put himself out of position, first he went down for the first shot, when it missed he slide across in the butterfly slide and the guy passed it behind the net insetad of taking the shot, he slide once again as it looked like he has going to wrap it (which is the right move since he dod not have any time to recover), and the guy sent it out infront for the open man. With that many passes and ____ up defenive zone coverage plays how can you blame roli on that

Quote:
Third goal - One timer from the slot that went five hole. This was a perfect chance to make a big save. Again it was stoppable as the shot was along the ice and the shot went across the way he was sliding. There was no screen and the shot was not a laser.
that last part is the probalem, when you explode accross and it is slower than you expect then you tend to overplay it. I will go a 50/50 blame split on that

Quote:
Fourth goal- Seeing eye wrister from the point off the post. Not much he can do about that as it was a bad break for the Oil.
Agreed, he would have had a chance if Staios did not half ___ commit to the block

Quote:
Fifith goal - Looked ridicuously silly guessing on his left side. He should have stayed upright and followed the skater backwards. Since the dman was coming in on him we wouldnt have been able to do much of a move, most shooters would have went five hole. Roli guessed really early and dove left with his glove hand. I think he was still reeling from losing the lead and his in-game confidence was falling.
I don't know what you are talking about here. First he played the poke check and he played it perfectly in terms of what you want to do. If the guy is being tied up like he was and the puck is not under control then poke it away from him, it prevents the shot from being taken which is always a better play than taking a shot. He had to dive because the puck ended up on that side somehow and since he did the 2 pad stack pokecheck he was not in the best position to make that save, but there is no excuse why that second shot came off anyways, where is the backchecker.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
umn....what's the source for Modano being close to return ? it'd be great but i think i haven't heard anything of it

well, they're all out for sure.
Morrow is out for the next 2-3 month and also Modano, Lindros, Ott aren't with the Stars on this Canada-trip (with no return date given)

I got that from the oilers game day preview. I also read somewhere else that he had practiced with the team before they started the road trip but did not join the team on it. So expect to see him back in the stars next home game.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Dabomb

I don't know if this was ever brought up or not..

BUT lost in all the hysteria... when you watch the video again.. the referee had his arm up in the air to call Zubov on hooking Hemsky on that play. Now isn't that a penalty even if the Oilers scored?? Shouldn't the Oilers have started OT on the PP?? Or am I out to lunch here

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:15 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post

BUT lost in all the hysteria... when you watch the video again.. the referee had his arm up in the air to call Zubov on hooking Hemsky on that play. Now isn't that a penalty even if the Oilers scored?? Shouldn't the Oilers have started OT on the PP?? Or am I out to lunch here
WOW I was just coming on here to say that.... SHouldnt the oilers started ot on the PP?

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Dabomb - out to lunch, my friend. It's a delayed call, the same way the penalty on Greene was waived off when Hagman scored after being hooked.

It's the whole "if the team scores on the continuation of the play, the opportunity was not lost, and therefore no powerplay is awarded" theory.

For those of you who got to see the second period, on the shot that went off of Smith's mask, did the mask actually break? I was at work and couldn't tell from my desk.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I got that from the oilers game day preview. I also read somewhere else that he had practiced with the team before they started the road trip but did not join the team on it. So expect to see him back in the stars next home game.
He's practicing but not at full speed, according to most local Dallas media. He's got a torn hip muscle/ligament, depending on which report you buy, so while he can skate, he doesn't have his full explosiveness.

He's told the local media he just doesn't feel right yet, even though he's skating with the team. He's still not really practiced with contact yet.

I bet he's out another two weeks before we hear talk about him legitimately being close to returning. That would be about 7-8 weeks since the injury, which is about right for muscle issues.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
He's practicing but not at full speed, according to most local Dallas media. He's got a torn hip muscle/ligament, depending on which report you buy, so while he can skate, he doesn't have his full explosiveness.

He's told the local media he just doesn't feel right yet, even though he's skating with the team. He's still not really practiced with contact yet.

I bet he's out another two weeks before we hear talk about him legitimately being close to returning. That would be about 7-8 weeks since the injury, which is about right for muscle issues.

That sucks, i have him in my hockey pool.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
OilerOlli*

*lol* Saw the highlights on nhl.com. Absolutely crazy the scenes in the last 20 seconds of regulation.
Amazing game...4-1 in front then 4-5, and then these unbelievable last 20 seconds. That's one reason why hockey is so cool.
Normally we must had win this in so, like last year as we won in Phoenix after Pronger (I hope its still allowed to spell his name here) shot the equalizer a few seconds before ending and we won it then in so...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post

You are out to lunch...the goal negates the penalty.....if someone was already in the box then the first penalty is negated and the new penalty starts after the goal.....that is why on Hemsky's last goal we still had a PP...

Rafters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Dabomb

ok thanks for the clarification.. for some reason I was confused and w/ all the rule changes.. I wasn't sure if delayed penalties were still called or not if the other team scores

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote