HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's face the truth, this is not a good team.

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2013, 03:18 PM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Nobody is saying that we need to be the Bruins but we need to improve here. And define 'tough' because to me 'tough' is being willing to stand in front of the net and take a pounding to score.
If that's your definition of tough, then the Habs have guys who take beatings on a nightly basis. Do you think Gallagher, Desharnais and Gionta don't get thrown around night in and night out, yet DD and Gally still spend so much time in front of the net taking beatings to score.

Other guys on the Habs willing to do that: Eller, Subban, Murray, Emelin, Gorges, Bourque. If that's all you think it takes to be considered tough, then the Habs are full of players like that.

Quote:
Chicago won its first cup in large part because they had big Buff going against Pronger. This time around Toews took a beating with Chara. We don't have guys who are capable of doing this.
I just named a bunch of Habs players who take beatings on the regular or are able to play the body efficiently.

Nobody said they wanted to be like Boston obviously, but people are implying our team needs to be meaner to succeed in the playoffs, which is simply untrue.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I would think MB is looking to improve the team...mostly for 2-3 years down the road but without sidetracking what we currently have. It's a lot easier going from a good to a great team than from a mediocre one to great. Young players have a better chance of being winners raised in that environmrent than spending 5 years in last place like Edmonton. Plus if you are winning current players want to stay and UFA's are more likely to come.
Not sure why we have to wait for 2-3 years. 3 years from now Markov might not be on our team, and no Beaulieu will not be our next Markov.
Last year was a transitional/evaluation one. I understand Bergevin doing very little in order to see what he had under his hands. The result is a team with a good core to build on with already good depth. When Bergevin was introduced as the GM, he said there was a lot of things to fix, that it was going to be a long process, the biggest reason why he said that is he didn't really know the team that well and we had finished 28th. So, it's only logical that he'd say that.
However, now in the middle of the second season, I hope he realizes that the team that finished 28th really wasn't as bad as he thought and we're a lot closer to contending than we are to rebuilding.

He should be trying to solidify our group, which I think he is doing.

Quote:
I don't find Emelin makes a lot of mistakes. He's been solid since coming back. You can tell he is a bit rusty but playing RH side is a non issue to me. He and Gorges both can do it.
Emelin often looks lost out there and it has nothing to do with rust. He was playing the same way last year before his injury. He still gets caught off position.
I think you have forgotten how Emelin played on the left side.

Quote:
Every team in the NHL relies heavily on it's top players, not sure why some think this is a Montreal. Boston relies a lot of Chara Rask Krejci Lucoc and Bergeron.

Not sure how the defense is "horribly flawed" after the 1st pair. I would call our #3-5 guys above average across the NHL with Murray being about average for what most teams have #6.
Diaz on the bottom pair is great. Emelin-Gorges needs upgrading. If we could have a Hamrlik type instead of Gorges, that would make us that much stronger.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
McGinn would be a decent target imo, not necessarily a huge upgrade on what we have already, but I think he would fit nice with the direction we are heading.

I'm not sure of the cap situation next year and the possibilities of retaining Gionta, but I feel he is under appreciated around here and losing him will be a step back. I suspect the TV deal will help carry the burden here some, but does anyone have a breakdown of our situation, it seems to me that MB will have trouble keeping the team the same, nevermind upgrading. So in that regard, I would like to try to transition a bit towards the future by removing some of the dead weight to keep our key players in tact, imo Gionta is a positive to this roster, no matter how frustrating he can be.
We're projected to have about 20M in cap space, but we only have Gorges and Emelin signed to contracts on defense. Up front, Eller and Gionta are seing their contract come to an end. White and Parros are also free agents.
Still unclear as to how much the cap will rise though. Some believe it can go up around 70M, adding us another 6M in space.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
If that's your definition of tough, then the Habs have guys who take beatings on a nightly basis. Do you think Gallagher, Desharnais and Gionta don't get thrown around night in and night out, yet DD and Gally still spend so much time in front of the net taking beatings to score.
Its great that these guys can take a beating but that doesn't make them effective. And the only guy from that group who regularly fights the fight in the crease is Gallagher.
Quote:
Other guys on the Habs willing to do that: Eller, Subban, Murray, Emelin, Gorges, Bourque. If that's all you think it takes to be considered tough, then the Habs are full of players like that.
But they don't.

They don't stand in front of the net and they aren't effective at clearing it. The ONLY guy we have who consistently stays at the crease is Gallagher. That's it. Max doesn't do it, neither does Eller or Bourque...

And none of our blueliners are good at clearing the crease either, though they at least sometimes try.
Quote:
I just named a bunch of Habs players who take beatings on the regular or are able to play the body efficiently.
And you were wrong in naming them.

Bourque is big and strong but he's so far from tough its not even funny. Eller hits people? Great. I don't see him parked in front of the net the way Gallagher is.

THAT's tough. THAT's what we need more of man. We've gone so many years without this kind of player we've forgotten what toughness looks like. And Gallagher's a pint sized guy. Imagine if Bourque would do this.
Quote:
Nobody said they wanted to be like Boston obviously, but people are implying our team needs to be meaner to succeed in the playoffs, which is simply untrue.
It most certainly IS true.

We need to get bigger and nastier and be able to win battles at the crease at both ends of the ice. Until we do this we're not going to win anything.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:31 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Its great that these guys can take a beating but that doesn't make them effective. And the only guy from that group who regularly fights the fight in the crease is Gallagher.

But they don't.

They don't stand in front of the net and they aren't effective at clearing it. The ONLY guy we have who consistently stays at the crease is Gallagher. That's it. Max doesn't do it, neither does Eller or Bourque...

And none of our blueliners are good at clearing the crease either, though they at least sometimes try.

Bourque is big and strong but he's so far from tough its not even funny. Eller hits people? Great. I don't see him parked in front of the net the way Gallagher is.

THAT's tough. THAT's what we need more of man. We've gone so many years without this kind of player we've forgotten what toughness looks like.

We need to get bigger and nastier and be able to win battles at the crease at both ends of the ice. Until we do this we're not going to win anything.
We've been winning a hell of a lot of hockey games.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:32 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We're projected to have about 20M in cap space, but we only have Gorges and Emelin signed to contracts on defense. Up front, Eller and Gionta are seing their contract come to an end. White and Parros are also free agents.
Still unclear as to how much the cap will rise though. Some believe it can go up around 70M, adding us another 6M in space.
So 20 million is the low-end, 26 is the ceiling? Assuming the 20 million number counts with Markov off the books?

Subban - Roughly 5 million increase
Markov - roughly 5-6 to retain
Diaz - 3 Million
Eller - 4-5 million
Gionta 4 million

It will be close to keep everyone if everything remains the same and the cap goes up as speculated, but making significant improvements will be difficult without a few trades.

I like Gionta, but might be inclined to look for a 6 foot 20 goal scorer instead if we can manage that cap-wise.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That doesn't count...

Old
12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
All this "toughness" discussion is about winning the cup.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
So 20 million is the low-end, 26 is the ceiling? Assuming the 20 million number counts with Markov off the books?

Diaz - 3 Million
Eller - 4-5 million
Gionta 4 million

It will be close to keep everyone if everything remains the same and the cap goes up as speculated, but making significant improvements will be difficult without a few trades.

I like Gionta, but might be inclined to look for a 6 foot 20 goal scorer instead if we can manage that cap-wise.
PK's number should be expected around 7-8M. The cap hit included his salary off the books.

I think we should be looking to make upgrades right now, not wait until the summer.
We should be moving Gorges, and looking for a bigger top 6 guy. We need another guy that can crash the net otherwise come PO time Gallagher will be dead.

Old
12-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:

Diaz - 3 Million
Eller - 4-5 million
Gionta 4 million

Yeah. Give up a bit on the defensive side of things but get a cheaper 20 goal scorer. One that won't take a slapper from far out into the goalies chest 99% of the time. Someone who can add some creativity to the line.

It'd be nice if they hit like a freight train once in awhile too. Also if they maybe wanted to play here/ liked Montreal. Maybe they even say they would have signed here for a discount. Also if they already have chemistry with two of our top centers in Plekanec and Eller.. That would be great..

Old
12-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Sure. We're not a bad team, far from it.

Winning the cup is hard. Even if you do everything right (see the Sens from earlier this decade) you still might not win.

We've got a lot of the right pieces now. And we've got top end talent that we haven't had since Roy. The hard part is actually over and I think we're close to actually being serious contenders.

But I don't think we're contenders now and its because of our lack of presence at the crease. Cups are won and lost there. If you don't win those battles you won't win championships.

So yeah, we're winning games. Great. That's a good thing. But I want us to be able to take the next step.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Sure. We're not a bad team, far from it.

Winning the cup is hard. Even if you do everything right (see the Sens from earlier this decade) you still might not win.

We've got a lot of the right pieces now. And we've got top end talent that we haven't had since Roy. The hard part is actually over and I think we're close to actually being serious contenders.

But I don't think we're contenders now and its because of our lack of presence at the crease. Cups are won and lost there. If you don't win those battles you won't win championships.

So yeah, we're winning games. Great. That's a good thing. But I want us to be able to take the next step.
You're highly underestimating this team's ability to clear the crease, as you say. The Hawks won the Cup with the following defensemen: Keith, Oduya, Rozsival, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Leddy. Can't convince me that they're better at it than ours to do that.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Lshap

Quote:
In the playoffs the play gets rougher and for whatever reason the refs put their whistles away. This does not favour us as we do exceptionally well on special teams (our PK seems to be clicking again.)

The other thing that you see in the playoffs a lot more is battles in front of the net. Did you see the epic battles with Chicago vs Boston? Toews was an absolute monster as was Chara. Guys literally fighting in front of the net to get or prevent goals. We don't do this and 2e're also not a big team so this hurts us as well.

We lack this element at both ends. This is not a cliché, its reality. And until we address this we aren't going to win any cups. We ignore the net at both ends of the ice far too much and you simply can't do this if you want to win.
We've improved a lot in front of our net. A healthy Emelin and conscious Murray fill a major hole in that area. Ideally, Tinordi makes a comeback and adds another wall to the fortress.

More to the point, how different do you think playoff games are going to be from last night's game? The intense, sustained pressure was a pretty good indicator, except that the Habs won't be the only team exhausted. Even so, the D was solid. Offensively, the second goal was the perfect messy up-close play we were missing the past few seasons.

The question is can the Habs keep up their energy over a six/seven game series, which depends on not having too many guys injured.

Quote:
Brendan Gallagher is the catalyst on our team and he's five foot nothing. Why is that? What is it about him that gets our scorers going? He goes to the net, pays the price and creates space for them. We need MORE of this and we need players with size to do it. Rene Bourque would be absolutely perfect in this role if he had any balls or brains. Unfortunately he has neither and so we're left only with Gallagher.

On the back end, we're no better in the defensive zone on that side of the coin either.
Those areas needs work, but they've improved. I'm more concerned about the offense than the D, which is coming along well. Another big forward would solidify the scoring, but even if we don't get one, our forward lines are further along than last season with the addition of Bournival and the possible playoff magic of Briere (the one thing he's strong in). Galchenyuk and Gallagher will have more experience. Not perfect, but better.

Quote:
You're never going to be 100 percent healthy. And right now we have two guys who aren't NHL caliber rotating in and out of the lineup. And if we lose one of the regulars (at some point one of them probably will be injured) you're stuck with BOTH those guys in your lineup.

And none of the guys in our lineup are particularly effective at clearing the crease and this includes Subban. It's an area that we've been weak in for a long time now.
But we were injured MORE than anyone else last playoffs. We're so accustomed to multiple injuries we've started to expect it every year. But it's not normal. Unless the team is chronically fragile, it's reasonable to think the team will be stronger because they'll be on the bench, not the hospital ward.

Quote:
My point was that we actually weren't that far away to begin with. We had an opportunity to address the areas we needed and we failed. So now we have to try to address the weaknesses that we should've done back in the summer. We can take another kick at the can but we can't afford any more screw-ups.
We agree the team is close; we also agree we could have been closer with better use of $4M worth of contract. But I'm betting that if we look like a contending team by mid-January, Bergevin will leverage a draft pick, someone, to get that big forward we're missing.

EDIT: This post was written earlier today, but I just noticed it didn't get posted. Never had the chance to read all the posts since. Apologies if you've already answered these points.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You're highly underestimating this team's ability to clear the crease, as you say. The Hawks won the Cup with the following defensemen: Keith, Oduya, Rozsival, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Leddy. Can't convince me that they're better at it than ours to do that.
Collectively they are a much bigger and stronger group than ours. Their best defensemen are also their biggest. You don't think six foot three 230 pound Seabrook is going to be more effective than our guys? How about Bufuglien? He was a key cog in that first cup win and they used him in the crease at both ends. And unlike say... Murray, those guys are going to be on the ice when it matters.

Emelin helps. But Gorges isn't good at it, neither is Markov or even Subban. Murray would probably be the most effective but he's so freaking slow that he can't be trusted on the ice in critical situations. That Chicago group may not be the best in the league at clearing the net (the way Boston's might be) but it would be a lot better than ours.

And they have guys willing to pay the price at the other end as well. So even if they lose a battle in their own end they'll win it at the other.

Even if we did have the big #3 blueliner that we sorely need, we'd still need to address the forward situation.

And this team is not good at clearing the crease. You only have to see the Ottawa series to know this. Its been a tea party on our front lawn for most of the year too.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
We've improved a lot in front of our net. A healthy Emelin and conscious Murray fill a major hole in that area. Ideally, Tinordi makes a comeback and adds another wall to the fortress.

More to the point, how different do you think playoff games are going to be from last night's game? The intense, sustained pressure was a pretty good indicator, except that the Habs won't be the only team exhausted. Even so, the D was solid. Offensively, the second goal was the perfect messy up-close play we were missing the past few seasons.
We'd better hope that last night's game isn't indicative of the playoffs because we were badly outplayed for most of it. We were opportunistic on our shots in the 2nd period but we didn't deserve that game.

As for our group, yes Emelin DOES help. We can already see this since his return. But like Et le But said... Gorges isn't a good number 3, neither is Emelin. We need another big strong guy there. If we do that our D is set.

As for us scoring messy goals... don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we never score messy goals. Of course we do. What I'm saying is that we'd score a lot more (esp in the playoffs) if we paid the price at the crease. Sure we go to the crease sometimes... every team does. But we don't do it nearly enough and we only have one player who does it consistently.
Quote:
The question is can the Habs keep up their energy over a six/seven game series, which depends on not having too many guys injured.
We can beat any team in the league in a seven game series. Any team can. Can we win three series in a row (let alone four) though? I don't think so.

Not without some changes anyway.
Quote:
Those areas needs work, but they've improved. I'm more concerned about the offense than the D, which is coming along well. Another big forward would solidify the scoring, but even if we don't get one, our forward lines are further along than last season with the addition of Bournival and the possible playoff magic of Briere (the one thing he's strong in). Galchenyuk and Gallagher will have more experience. Not perfect, but better.
We have the scoring talent, what we lack are the players to give our current scorers the space they need to maximize their talents. We lack the players who will make a goalie's life difficult on a consistent basis.

Quote:
But we were injured MORE than anyone else last playoffs. We're so accustomed to multiple injuries we've started to expect it every year. But it's not normal. Unless the team is chronically fragile, it's reasonable to think the team will be stronger because they'll be on the bench, not the hospital ward.
But we were the better team for the most part. We lost that series in the crease at both ends. If we win, hell if we even fought, some of those battles we'd have won.

Emelin's loss really hurt us. But that's all the more reason to go out and get a big number three guy to give us some depth back there. If we do that our D is set up really well. Like I said, we're not far off. ONE big blueliner who can log heavy ice and effectively clear the crease. That's all we need back there.
Quote:
We agree the team is close; we also agree we could have been closer with better use of $4M worth of contract. But I'm betting that if we look like a contending team by mid-January, Bergevin will leverage a draft pick, someone, to get that big forward we're missing.

EDIT: This post was written earlier today, but I just noticed it didn't get posted. Never had the chance to read all the posts since. Apologies if you've already answered these points.
I'm hoping that's the case. If we really are doing well then we've got to start taking some chances, esp if we're going to re-sign Markov then the window for winning becomes shorter. So might as well go for it now.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Habs

Once again, it will come down to the playoffs and if MB decides to make the necessary changes.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
BlackStar

Some people just like to believe in nonsense. Would the team be better with more size and grit on the top 6? Probably.

Yet, there are some teams right now in the league who wish they had a PK Subban and Carey Price. Perfect teams do not win the Stanley Cup, good teams who know how to maximize their strengths and minimize their opponents strengths win the Stanley Cup.

Are we overwhelming contenders? No. But guess what? An underwhelming 2010 playoff team advanced to the East Finals by maximizing their strengths and minimizing their opponent's strengths.

Therefore, why is it outside the realm of possibility for a better team in almost every fashion to match or better the performances of 2010 playoff team?

Again, no doubt this team can still get better, a lot better, I would love another legit top 6 goal scorer on this team, but until then, a team with balanced scoring, good defense, Subban, and Carey Price could go all the way.

How many team have a Subban and Price on their team? Each team has it's strengths and weaknesses, even the contenders.

Last edited by BlackStar: 12-06-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Montreality

This is a very dissapointing thread lol stop blabling that bs and watch and enjoy the games. We were 2nd in the east last year and if it was a full seaon sure it could have gone downhill, but might have gone the other way with price gettting a rest and coming back strong like hes playing this year. That being said , this years roster is stronger and just as fast as last year with a blazing hot goalie( and backup) . Lets enjoy the game guys! Who knows , maybe galchenyuk becomes our go to guy come playoff season. The guy is one of our top point getters already even if hes clearly in a slump. Also , having Emelin in the lineup seems to be the key to our success so if he stays healthy i dont see last years playoff fiasco happening again.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Collectively they are a much bigger and stronger group than ours.
The Hawks have the softest defence corps in the entire league. Seabrook is the only physical d-man on the team, as none of Keith, Hjarmalsson, Leddy, Oduya or Rozsival are remotely physical and are well behind Subban, Emelin, Murray and potentially Tinordi in terms of clearing the crease.

Old
12-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Once again, it will come down to the playoffs and if MB decides to make the necessary changes.
If the Habs are healthy and top 3 in the east at the trade deadline, Bergevin should go for it and try to add the missing pieces.

- The 1st and the 2nd round pick shoud be available
- Diaz, Beaulieu or Pateryn could be trade
- Bourque, Leblanc or Collberg could be trade

A package deal of some of these assets could bring back the missing pieces.

Old
12-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
If the Habs are healthy and top 3 in the east at the trade deadline, Bergevin should go for it and try to add the missing pieces.

- The 1st and the 2nd round pick shoud be available
- Diaz, Beaulieu or Pateryn could be trade
- Bourque, Leblanc or Collberg could be trade

A package deal of some of these assets could bring back the missing pieces.
He should, but he won't. I just don't believe he has the guts to pull off a trade of this nature. I'm sure we'll follow another 5 yr plan, and more first round exits.

Old
12-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Sorinth

Quote:

Actually it's can we do it over the 20 odd games it takes to go all the way. Almost any team can win a 7 game series against any other team.

Old
12-06-2013, 05:46 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:

But they don't.

THAT's tough. THAT's what we need more of man. We've gone so many years without this kind of player we've forgotten what toughness looks like. And Gallagher's a pint sized guy. Imagine if Bourque would do this.

We need to get bigger and nastier
and be able to win battles at the crease at both ends of the ice. Until we do this we're not going to win anything.
I just straight-up don't agree with you. We need to get bigger, obviously, but you make it clear in your posts that you think we need to get "meaner" to succeed in the playoffs. You also seem to imply the ability to clear the crease is equivalent to being tough and mean. That's simply not true. The toughest and biggest and meanest guy in the league may still not be a crease-clearer, and the reverse is also true.

I don't think we lack crease-clearers, especially in our own zone. Our defense has really turned it around since Emelin has returned, and it has renewed my faith in them. Also, I really don't get where you're coming from when you say the Habs don't clear the crease in their own end. We see it EVERY GAME from players like Emelin, Murray, Subban, Markov, and hell, even Gorges and Diaz. It's part of the defenseman's job, and they've been extremely effective for the most part as of late. Haven't you realized that we have restricted most opposing shots to the perimeter in the last couple of games?

So no, we don't need to get "meaner" in my opinion. We aren't the Boston Bruins. We succeed with our speed and skill more than our toughness and meanness. We could definitely use size, yes, but the obsession with toughness and meanness will not win us hockey games in the playoffs as much as resiliency, speed, skill and luck.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Some people just like to believe in nonsense. Would the team be better with more size and grit on the top 6? Probably.

Yet, there are some teams right now in the league who wish they had a PK Subban and Carey Price...
Of course. But we've got areas that need to be addressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The Hawks have the softest defence corps in the entire league. Seabrook is the only physical d-man on the team, as none of Keith, Hjarmalsson, Leddy, Oduya or Rozsival are remotely physical and are well behind Subban, Emelin, Murray and potentially Tinordi in terms of clearing the crease.
C'mon man.

Keith may be a lot of things (dirty actually comes to mind) but he's not soft. And they kick the crap out of our D right now. They may not be Boston but they're certainly better than we are in this regard. And they go to the net as well... better at the other end. Murray shouldn't even be on the ice dude...

Here's a little sampling of Duncan Keith dirty work:

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 12-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old
12-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I just straight-up don't agree with you. We need to get bigger, obviously, but you make it clear in your posts that you think we need to get "meaner" to succeed in the playoffs. You also seem to imply the ability to clear the crease is equivalent to being tough and mean. That's simply not true. The toughest and biggest and meanest guy in the league may still not be a crease-clearer, and the reverse is also true.

I don't think we lack crease-clearers, especially in our own zone. Our defense has really turned it around since Emelin has returned, and it has renewed my faith in them. Also, I really don't get where you're coming from when you say the Habs don't clear the crease in their own end. We see it EVERY GAME from players like Emelin, Murray, Subban, Markov, and hell, even Gorges and Diaz. It's part of the defenseman's job, and they've been extremely effective for the most part as of late. Haven't you realized that we have restricted most opposing shots to the perimeter in the last couple of games?

So no, we don't need to get "meaner" in my opinion. We aren't the Boston Bruins. We succeed with our speed and skill more than our toughness and meanness. We could definitely use size, yes, but the obsession with toughness and meanness will not win us hockey games in the playoffs as much as resiliency, speed, skill and luck.
I love PK Subban. He's awesome in every way, but he's not great at clearing the crease dude. Next time the game is on, pay special attention to it. He fights the battles but he's not especially good at this. None of our guys are.

As for the guys up front, who other than Gallagher screens the goalie with any regularity? Do you think its coincidence that whatever line he goes onto becomes hot all of a sudden?

We're a good team. We do a lot of things really well and we're on the right track. But let's not pretend like this isn't an area that needs fixing. Big winger that will get dirty and big #3 blueliner. We get that (and maybe get rid of a smurf or two) and this team is a legit contender.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 12-06-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Closed Thread