HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

joni pitkanen

Old
12-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Broad Street

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If I am not mistaken didnt Desjardins himself come out and say it was hard to teach the kid anything since he didnt listen well or didnt want to listen? Maybe that wasnt the exact reason but I remember Desjardins not liking him. And that is pretty big since Eric liked alot of people.
I don't remember where I saw this, but at one point while he was here, I heard him referred to as "Mini Stickanen" for his use of a small stick.

Broad Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:40 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Pitkanen looked like he was going to be something special his rookie year...he was actually pretty mean and hit people and agitated. Then he became an aloof goof and the fans turned on him and it went down hill from there....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
buff

I like Joni

But the price might be hight fot him...

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 10:17 AM
buff

LOL out for the season ... I forgot that

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
And even worse : some are thinking it could be a career ending injury if it doesn't heal right

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Mike Richards 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Thank the Lord Flyers didn't sign Gomez...
Just to point this out. If we had signed him at the time and then flipped him to Montreal for McDonaugh I wish!!! Just saying

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 05:38 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
His career's done. I read about another guy Pete Peters? Not sure, anyway he had the same type of injury. He apparently still can't walk right. Pitkanen's the reason we have hybrid icing now.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 06:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
His career's done. I read about another guy Pete Peters? Not sure, anyway he had the same type of injury. He apparently still can't walk right. Pitkanen's the reason we have hybrid icing now.
Not necessarily, Kurtis Foster had the same injury as well but still played after it.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:06 PM
PALE PWNR

Foster broke his femur. Pitkanens heel twisted upside down and shattered into 8 different pieces.

Old
12-06-2013, 07:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Pete Peeters has been an NHL goalie coach in recent years. Joe Watson had a really bad injury though not heel.

Quote:
Just 16 games into his first campaign, while playing against St. Louis, Watson chased a loose puck near the end of the ice. The Blues' Wayne Babych checked him against the boards, leaving the fallen rearguard with the worst broken leg in NHL history. His thighbone was shattered into 14 pieces and his kneecap was split in two. Watson's career on ice was over. He was lucky to escape with only a permanently disabled leg.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14650

Working on the initials, it could be Pat Peake who was with the Capitals ( http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...joni-pitkanen/ ).

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Foster broke his femur. Pitkanens heel twisted upside down and shattered into 8 different pieces.
Ah you're right, for some reason I thought they were the same.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Pete Peeters has been an NHL goalie coach in recent years. Joe Watson had a really bad injury though not heel.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14650

Working on the initials, it could be Pat Peake who was with the Capitals ( http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...joni-pitkanen/ ).
Pat Peake is who I was talking about thanks.

Quote:
“We kind of just went through the whole process,” Peake said. “I said to Pitkanen and that group there that I was speaking with; first and foremost I said obviously you want to get back to being a normal human being. Still to this day I can’t walk the length of the mall.”

Peake played just five more games after his heel bone broke in 14 places and twisted. Pitkanen’s broke in eight places but didn’t move, Peake said. That’s considered a positive.

“Your heel bone, the best way to describe it is like an egg. So if you give it a good flick or a thump, it just kind of splinters and cracks like that,” Peake said. “And it just goes right around the whole way. That’s exactly what happened to his. It’s such an odd injury.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...#ixzz2mkSZdgeM
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Old
12-06-2013, 09:28 PM
StandingCow

Here is more on the heel injury... makes you cringe reading it: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00524

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
cultural difference. Finns have a high number of people who could be perceived as introverts. Something US society generally sees as a negative thing.
Yeah, when he first came over we heard a lot about how Pitkanen wasn't actually a weirdo, he was just Finnish. I think as his career progressed here that proved to be false, as some pretty easy going guys that have already been mentioned here had very hard times getting along with him.

Unfortunately, it seems the infamous video of him sitting on the bench looking all around to make sure no one was watching, then picking his nose and eating his treasure has been deleted off YouTube. I think that sums up my feelings on him. The guy could've won multiple Norrises with his talent, but he turned out to be the most disappointing player I've seen on the Flyers, right there with Pavel Brendl.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote