HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MLB Discussion Thread Part III: Jeter announces retirement after 2014

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2013, 04:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLJ View Post
If the yanks are able to sign a solid hitter and Tanaka I would be really happy.

Choo would be my first choice, but if he wants more than 80-90 million I would pass. I think Beltran on a shorter term deal would be a much better option if Choo wants too much. Or I would try to trade for someone like Chase Headley.
Yanks don't have a lot to trade.

12-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Lundsanity30

Yanks were in no way going to 10 years or 240. he chased the money didnt matter what we did

Old
12-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Un Prophete

Guess what two players have a virtually identical career OPS? Cano and Choo. Obviously .860 is more valuable from a 2B, but still...

Old
12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yanks don't have a lot to trade.
Cashman would have get a little more creative, but your right they don't have a ton to trade. Yankees signing either Beltran or Choo is much more realistic than making a big trade.

Old
12-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Beltran sucks in big markets. He'd be booed out of Yankee Stadium by August.

Old
12-06-2013, 05:36 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I was a bit surprised Cano signed with Seattle. That offer was just too much. $200 was my max for him. Just going to have to move on. Life after Cano.

McCann
Ellsbury
Kuroda
????
????

I don't understand the Choo/Beltran talk. The yankees need a 2B. I'd rather have Infante with Johnson at 3rd until ARod is back. Maybe management is thinking sign Choo now and wait for a premium 2B to become available in coming years...or DEVELOP one. I know they drafted a SS a year or two ago in the 1st or 2nd round, forget which school.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
…and yet he's an awesome playoff clutch hitter. I'd say he'd be fine.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Haha, how do you figure? He had a fine career with the Mets. In his four full seasons here he posted a total of 23 WAR. If you combine his injured 2009 and 2010 seasons, he had about 4 WAR. 27 wins in 5 years? Yeah, what a ****ing bust.

What other large market did he play in? Since leaving KC he's been good at every stop, so I don't know what you're referring to.

If he was to be booed it would be because Yankees fans are spoiled rotten and an unreasonably impatient group.

It's just pain.
Old
12-06-2013, 06:47 PM
ecemleafs

st louis is a large baseball market

Old
12-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Haha, how do you figure? He had a fine career with the Mets. In his four full seasons here he posted a total of 23 WAR. If you combine his injured 2009 and 2010 seasons, he had about 4 WAR. 27 wins in 5 years? Yeah, what a ****ing bust.

What other large market did he play in? Since leaving KC he's been good at every stop, so I don't know what you're referring to.

If he was to be booed it would be because Yankees fans are spoiled rotten and an unreasonably impatient group.
The last paragraph explains why he would be booed to a T. He would be a disappointment regardless of what contract he signed if he did nothing short of bringing the 28th ring to the franchise.

Beltran may have overall good numbers, but in do or die situations he folds. Bottom of the 9th, full count, in game 7 of the NLCS, and he strikes out looking? Brutal. I do believe he was mostly a non factor against Boston this past season, but to be fair, so did every Cardinal.

If it's me, I'd bring in Choo or I'd pass all together and go for a pitcher.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Bottom of the 9th, full count, in game 7 of the NLCS, and he strikes out looking? Brutal.
lol.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Lundsanity30

source: Yankees never expected deal would get done which is why they struck quick with Mccann and Ellsbury. Also, the end game came right after ellsbury signing, cano told yanks he would stay for 235 (discount!!) over 8-10 yrs, yanks said 7/175 and neuther side spoke again

Old
12-06-2013, 07:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
The last paragraph explains why he would be booed to a T. He would be a disappointment regardless of what contract he signed if he did nothing short of bringing the 28th ring to the franchise.

Beltran may have overall good numbers, but in do or die situations he folds. Bottom of the 9th, full count, in game 7 of the NLCS, and he strikes out looking? Brutal. I do believe he was mostly a non factor against Boston this past season, but to be fair, so did every Cardinal.

Yeah, and Mo Rivera blew that save against Arizona that one time. You do realize he has the highest postseason OPS of anyone EVER, right?

THIS is why he might be booed as a Yankee. Some of you guys will hate the guy over one thing and completely disregard his otherwise stellar contributions.

If you don't sign Beltran, it's because you think he's in decline. It's not because some ignorant fans will boo him for no reason. That's no way to run a franchise.

Old
12-06-2013, 07:33 PM
ThisYearsModel

I am fine with Cano moving on. He chased the $. That is his right. I will miss his production. I will not miss his laissaz-faire attitude and lack of hustle. He looks lame next to guys like Jeter and McCann, who are all-in all-the-time. I would be happy adding Beltran and a pitcher now.

Old
12-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Crease

Beltran was a very good Met. Productive. Tireless worker. Played through serious injuries. Some fans expectations were too high, hated the fact that he wasn't outwardly emotional, and only remember him striking out to end the NLCS.

Old
12-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Barnaby

Quote:

Beltran is one of the greatest playoff performers in MLB history, and it's not debatable. He's at his best on the biggest stage - the playoffs. He struck out looking once in the NLCS on a wicked pitch by Wainwright. Rivera blew game 7 of the World Series. You have to look at the whole body of work. I find no reason why Beltran would be booed more than any other free agent. He also offered the Yankees a discount to sign with them in the past before he went to the Mets - something Cano certainly didn't do (not that in blaming him for it, but it speaks well of Beltran).

Old
12-06-2013, 08:14 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Love the grandy deal. His contract is actually pretty decent. his power is legit. Our outfield next year will have 3 cf's lol.

I would love beltran back if we could afford that contract. Always loved the guys tools.

Now trade ike. Dump duda. Get anyone but tejada to play ss. Play Murph at first and find away to sign an innings eater and let's get 2014 rollin.

Old
12-06-2013, 08:26 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

LF-Granderson CF-Lagares RF-Beltran

Old
12-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
LF-Granderson CF-Lagares RF-Beltran
Mets signed Chris Young this offseason too. He'll probably be in RF. Maybe the Mets trade one of Lagaras/Eric Young Jr.

Old
12-06-2013, 08:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Beltran will be too expensive for the Mets. Cano bolting added another year and 3 mil a year to his asking price. Yanks need him.

Old
12-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
BREAKING: Source says Yankees and Carlos Beltran have agreed to a three-year deal. More details to come.

Old
12-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Mets signed Chris Young this offseason too. He'll probably be in RF. Maybe the Mets trade one of Lagaras/Eric Young Jr.
It sounds like they may put Eric Young Jr at 2nd and either move Murphy to first or deal him...

Old
12-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
BREAKING: Source says Yankees and Carlos Beltran have agreed to a three-year deal. More details to come.
Link? I can't find it.

Old
12-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Forever Blue

@TBrownYahoo
Beltran deal is $45 m over 3 yrs

Old
12-06-2013, 08:55 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

LOVE Beltran