Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Hossa vs Kovalchuk

Old
12-31-2006, 02:02 PM
SENSible1*

vCash: 500
Hossa vs Kovalchuk

Now that Thrasher fans have had a chance to watch Marian up close for the past season and a half I'm wondering which one they consider to be the better player, Kovalchuk or Hossa.

SENSible1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 04:17 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Either one beats the crap out of having poor victim Dany here. How's he liking it now that he got his wish to leave the team that doesn't win much to go to the pressure of a little hockey town where he can be the big fish and play for the Cup?

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 04:28 PM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Either one beats the crap out of having poor victim Dany here. How's he liking it now that he got his wish to leave the team that doesn't win much to go to the pressure of a little hockey town where he can be the big fish and play for the Cup?
I can understand your frustration with Heatley, but I really didn't come here to re-hash that debate. I'd rather have Hossa back, but I'll continue to cheer for both he and Dany.

Do you have an opinion on the Hossa Kovalchuk comparison?

SENSible1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 04:42 PM
en_fuego

Hossa. Kovalchuk is an amazingly talented offensive player, there's no doubt about that, but there's not really anything that Hossa can't do. He almost always makes the right play, he's great at nearly every aspect of the game. He can create his own chances, and he can play well with anyone. Kovalchuk, as we can all see, is struggling without any decent talent on his line. Hossa doesn't need that to be successful. He can be a bit streaky sometimes, but he doesn't let that affect the other parts of his game. Great player and leader - love having him on this team.

en_fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Bonsai

I personally think that Hossa is a top 10 player in the game and Heatley is maybe top 25 or so.

I think Hossa is better all around (does a great job on the PP and PK as well as last minute situations).

Even though Heatley is younger, I still pick Hossa.

Bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 05:15 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_fuego View Post
Hossa. Kovalchuk is an amazingly talented offensive player, there's no doubt about that, but there's not really anything that Hossa can't do. He almost always makes the right play, he's great at nearly every aspect of the game. He can create his own chances, and he can play well with anyone. Kovalchuk, as we can all see, is struggling without any decent talent on his line. Hossa doesn't need that to be successful. He can be a bit streaky sometimes, but he doesn't let that affect the other parts of his game. Great player and leader - love having him on this team.
To be fair, we can't say that Hossa wouldn't struggle without talent on his line. He's been playing the last season and a half with Kozlov, who's not exactly a slouch. We haven't seen his production yet with the likes of a Steve Rucchin and a Jon Sim.

On that note, he's still a better overall player. I think Kovalchuk has more weapons offensively, though. In fact, I see him make a lot of plays that are botched by his linemates.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
en_fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
To be fair, we can't say that Hossa wouldn't struggle without talent on his line. He's been playing the last season and a half with Kozlov, who's not exactly a slouch. We haven't seen his production yet with the likes of a Steve Rucchin and a Jon Sim.
Touche. The only reason I said that is because we've seen what Hossa can do completely on his own, without any help from his teammates. I think Hossa could make poor linemates better players rather than struggling from the lack of talent, but there's not really any evidence of that. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
On that note, he's still a better overall player. I think Kovalchuk has more weapons offensively, though. In fact, I see him make a lot of plays that are botched by his linemates.
Agreed. Ilya is definitely more talented offensively - I probably should have been clearer in my original post. My point was that Hossa is more talented overall, which is why I, personally, believe he's better than Ilya.

Old
12-31-2006, 06:27 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Kovy is younger and if he had a linemate, he'd be lighting up the league like last year when Savard was feeding him pucks.

Remember in 03-04 he was the leading vote getter in the All-Star Game.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Kovy is younger and if he had a linemate, he'd be lighting up the league like last year when Savard was feeding him pucks.

Pre-Crosby era! For the next 10 years, I would be surprise not to see Crosby getting top vote.

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:

Because being the leading vote getter means you're clearly the best

Hossa is probably better all-around, but offensively I was always disappointed when he was in Ottawa. He got the points, but I still don't know how, even after watching every game. I suppose his speed and strength make up for what he lacks in breakaways/dekes.

Though, I still would've preferred if we kept Hossa and traded him for a high pick, then resigned Havlat (who I think is more of an impact offense guy).

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 03:00 PM
en_fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
I suppose his speed and strength make up for what he lacks in breakaways/dekes.
I've heard a lot of Ottawa fans say this, which is weird. During his time in Atlanta, he's been very good at breakaways and shootouts.

Old
01-01-2007, 03:13 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Hossa - because of his all-around game...

JohnnyAppleSeed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Rattray

Hossa and its not even close.

There's 2 sides to a rink.

Rattray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Hossa is probably Top 5 for forwards right now and easily Top 10 for player. Guy has amazing puck skills and can turn something bad into something good very quickly. Kovalchuk is what he needs to be...a sniper on the PP. Outside of that he won't really grow into what Hossa is.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
Hossa is probably Top 5 for forwards right now and easily Top 10 for player. Guy has amazing puck skills and can turn something bad into something good very quickly. Kovalchuk is what he needs to be...a sniper on the PP. Outside of that he won't really grow into what Hossa is.
But give a thumb up for Kovalchuk to try and play a better defensive play this season.

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Fravashis

Hossa, I feel more comfortable with him on the ice than with Kovy. I think Kovy's defensive play is starting to slide. He is starting to take breaks in his own end again and is getting frustrated. Hossa on the other hand always seems to remain calm no matter how the team is performing and is always an inspiration for his teammates.

Fravashis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2007, 07:27 PM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_fuego View Post
I've heard a lot of Ottawa fans say this, which is weird. During his time in Atlanta, he's been very good at breakaways and shootouts.
I thought he was pretty bad on breakaways and in shootouts last year. That was one of the things that really jumped out at me as I got to watch him on a regular basis. For someone who was a good scorer, he wasn't very good one-on-one with the goalie. He's made a huge improvement in that regard this year.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 09:38 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristelune View Post
But give a thumb up for Kovalchuk to try and play a better defensive play this season.
Definately!! I'm not taking anything from Ilya, he one hell of a player! But just like a lot of redwing players who were shadowed by an all-star 1st lineup with Stevie Y, Luc Robi, and Shanny he doesn't get enough credit. I am with everyone that he needs some better linemates to score. Seems I usually see his name with PP next to it

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 12:57 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Ottawa fans have been saying it for years. Hossa was seriously underrated while he played for the Senators.

Hossa > Kovalchuk.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:03 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Because being the leading vote getter means you're clearly the best
That's right!!! Ask Rory Oh, wait, he is not the leading vote

I'd take Kovalchuk over Hossa, but i am biased

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Shameus

Hossa was on ESPNews with Melrose this afternoon. Don't remember the whole interview, they asked him about his brother....said he watches him as often as he could and that his dad would probably cheer for Marcel if they face off in the playoffs since he is the underdog. Asked him how he felt about having the assist on Kozlov's game winner on Monday, he said that he was on the ice for all 3 Atlanta goals and that he got a little something extra from that.

Couple of things that stood out.

When asked if he prefered playing in Atlanta or Canada.....he did not say, his response that he was really enjoying playing in Atlanta, he liked having a personal life and being able to walk the streets, something he wasn't able to do in Canada, but that Atlanta does have it's fans and that he also enjoyed the fans that recognized him in public in Atlanta and would come talk hockey with him considering it is such a nontraditional hockey town.

Melrose called him the best forward in hockey right now.

Sorry I can't remember more. Kept staring at a mole on his left jaw line/cheek area, or what I though was a mole...didn't think he had one though. Maybe it was a cut or something though.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Juneemoon

It's just a scrape or cut...he definitely has not had that before. For anyone who saw the interview, did you think he looked kinda bad? Like he's lost some weight? I know he's been sick off and on for a while....

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
mostly based on his overall ottawa performance

Hossa has always been a two-way player. He is dependable to put out on any situation, anytime. He rarely gets the penalty call, but will still rush to the net to get that extra goal in. Even if there is no chance to win the game, he's still out there making it look pretty and giving it his all. He has the ability to make the simplest play turn into a highlight reel goal. He has the strength and speed that makes it almost impossible to stop him.

Kovalchuk has improved his defensive game, however, he still has a quick temper and eager to "show off". He has a killer shot, but who would you trust out on a 5 on 3 penalty kill?

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneemoon View Post
It's just a scrape or cut...he definitely has not had that before. For anyone who saw the interview, did you think he looked kinda bad? Like he's lost some weight? I know he's been sick off and on for a while....
Yeah, he looked a little tired/under the weather, but I chalked that up to a heavy schedule lately.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote