HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR] Rangers extend Henrik Lundqvist [7 Years/$8.5 million AAV]

Old
12-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
Just trolling, but Kiprusoff leads league with 45 wins, signs 6 year deal at age 31, declined at 35, out of hockey at 37.

Sure, you'd peg him as more like perhaps the greatest goalie of all-time. Gotcha. Also - Roy was gone at 37, not 38. Born in October of '65.

Nabokov declines at 35, not resigned by Sharks in 2010. He's ok now. Wouldn't want to be paying $8.5 for him.
He could be paid 2 million and you'd call it a **** deal. And Nabokov was the islanders last season. He looked like **** in the playoffs but was fantastic all year.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonsniper View Post
Just about yes. What other cities have as much sports history as NY? Boston, Chicago? Thats about it.
Right, those are the only cities to have great players remain with their team and retire happily.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonsniper View Post
Just about yes. What other cities have as much sports history as NY? Boston, Chicago? Thats about it.
I'm a New Yorker, but who really cares? If I was Pekka Rinne, a star goalie in Nashville, I'm sure that's awesome as well… New York is an awesome place to be a star, but for every every Derek Jeter you have a Jason Bay/Roberto Alomar.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Barnaby

Elite players are going to get paid - if the Rangers didn't do it, then someone else would have happily met his demands. There's no way you can let this guy walk. I'm much happier overpaying an elite player (Henrik), than overpaying a UFA who is in the 'good' category… Gomez, Drury, Holik, etc…

7 years… I have no doubt that he'll be terrific for at least 5 of them… probably adequate the last 2, but the cap should be higher. Not every deal can be a bargain.

All you have to do is watch a Philly/Pitt playoff series with 8-5 games to realize how valuable this guy is, and then some…

Old
12-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Garbage Goal

Whether or not he would have signed for this amount elsewhere is completely irrelevant when discussing whether it's a good deal or not. Just because someone else would have signed a player to a bad or risky contract doesn't make it any less bad or risky. That's even assuming the fact that we could even possibly know that someone would pay him this much over this term which we can't possibly know.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Whether or not he would have signed for this amount elsewhere is completely irrelevant when discussing whether it's a good deal or not. Just because someone else would have signed a player to a bad or risky contract doesn't make it any less bad or risky. That's even assuming the fact that we could even possibly know that someone would pay him this much over this term which we can't possibly know.
Someone else would have given him that deal (I think that's an easy assumption when you look at other free agent deals where most elite players don't even hit UFA in their prime.), but you're right in saying that's not enough to say it's a good deal. I'll maintain my prior stance that I'm ok paying that to an elite player. Henrik is elite. He's mature, and competitive so I don't see his game falling off a cliff. I'd rather see him signed at 6 years at 36 million, but that wasn't an option. An elite players deserves to get paid. What scares me is the Scott Gomez and Chris Drury's of the world who are good players getting elite contracts.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:06 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Ummm… what…?

Someone had better tell Henrik that… I just finished watching the Rangers beat the Sabres, and he was terrific…
Apparently to some people, a bad first 10 games of the season is enough to mean that the most consistently elite goalie in the world is declining. It doesn't matter that he's been back to his old self ever since, those 10 games were all the evidence that the trolls need.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Marty Turko was on a Canadian show and he and the host were talking about when he(Marty) started to decline and they agreed that it was around when he was 33 years old. Now there's no two players that goes through the same things but Henrik is already 31. I would have offered him 3 years, maybe 5 maximum. And upon a refusal you trade him for a couple of picks, decent players and maybe even an average goalie and let him get his crazy contract elsewhere. There's nothing wrong to sometime turn the page with somebody that you've had for so long and you know you're not going to win the cup with him anytime soon.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Darth Joker

As a Habs fan, this certainly gives me a new perspective on Price's deal. $6.5 million a year for Price for this season and four more almost seems like a bargain to me now.

This deal also makes me feel better about Subban likely getting similar term and money.

Is this a good signing for the Rangers? Only time will tell. It basically depends on how well Lundqvist ages, and exactly how much the cap goes up over time.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
H382

Sinking that much money into the goalie position for that long just seems like a bad investment. I mean, on one hand you have a great goalie and you can't just let him go, but without a solid team in front of any goalie, doesn't matter how good they are, you still won't win. A solid team in front makes a good goalie great and that would be enough to win.

H382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:09 AM
TGWL

And, a solid team in front of a great goalie makes you an elite team. With the cap going up, it's no impossible to get some better players, assuming we let some walk.

TGWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:49 AM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
As a Habs fan, this certainly gives me a new perspective on Price's deal. $6.5 million a year for Price for this season and four more almost seems like a bargain to me now.

This deal also makes me feel better about Subban likely getting similar term and money.

Is this a good signing for the Rangers? Only time will tell. It basically depends on how well Lundqvist ages, and exactly how much the cap goes up over time.
Price was coming off a bridge/entry level deal, lundqvist was not.
Price was at RFA age when he signed is new deal, lundqvist was not.
Lundqvist also already accomplished more than Price thus far (Vezina, Gold Medal).
Lundqvist stats are a good notch better than Price

So right there is your $2M difference.

Not to mention, with his new contract, Price will be UFA right when he is still in his prime (basically same age as Lundqvist is now). If price is as good as you hope him to be over the next few years, you bet your ass his next deal will be well north of 8.5, factoring in the inflation/cap gain.

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 09:53 AM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWL View Post
And, a solid team in front of a great goalie makes you an elite team. With the cap going up, it's no impossible to get some better players, assuming we let some walk.
Richards is already gone. there is 7 million right there. Cap is going up by, by several million.

Besides, its not as if Lundqvist just came off an ELC of 850k and now we just added 7.7 million to the payroll. the hit is a difference of only 1.7 million. Its not a big shock to the system.

Old
12-06-2013, 09:57 AM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Marty Turko was on a Canadian show and he and the host were talking about when he(Marty) started to decline and they agreed that it was around when he was 33 years old. Now there's no two players that goes through the same things but Henrik is already 31. I would have offered him 3 years, maybe 5 maximum. And upon a refusal you trade him for a couple of picks, decent players and maybe even an average goalie and let him get his crazy contract elsewhere. There's nothing wrong to sometime turn the page with somebody that you've had for so long and you know you're not going to win the cup with him anytime soon.

Its a bit of an injustice to chart Lundqvists future trajectory by looking at guys like Marty Turko. Lundqvist is on a different tier. Guys of his level (border, hasek, etc) have shown to age better than guys who are more prone to streaks season to season.

And im referring to "level" more in terms of consistency and durability than i am pure talent, so no, im not saying Lundqvist has proven to be as good as Hasek/Brodeur.

Old
12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
mkoivu9*

One of the worst contracts ever

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 01:17 PM
darkbrew*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goph View Post
One of the worst contracts ever
The contract is too long, but it probably won't end up one of the worst ever.

darkbrew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Habsfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
When Drury and Gomez signed their contracts many thought those cap hits would eventually be decent at the end of their contract as well because of the cap going up.

Even today, 7 years later
Drury at 7.05M cap hit would rank 16th among the highest league wide
Gomez at 7.357 cap hit would rank 14th among the highest league wide

No one accounts for the smaller market teams not being able to keep up with the cap floor when they make their predictions of where the cap is going to be.
I think a lot of that has to do with Crosby only signing for $8.7 million per year. That has basically set an artificial cap on contracts because almost no one can argue they're more valuable than him. You have a situation where the max player salary is essentially capped, so there's more money to spend on other players.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 07:33 PM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakawayy View Post
He could be paid 2 million and you'd call it a **** deal. And Nabokov was the islanders last season. He looked like **** in the playoffs but was fantastic all year.
3.30/.892 this year. At $3.25m instead of the $6m he was paid when cut at age 35 when San Jose thought he had declined.

Just saying - Hank's deal doesn't even start this year. It starts next year.

3-4 year deal at that cash would have been fine. We'll see what happens after age 35 (2 years into the deal)....

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2013, 11:19 PM
lucmanawesome

Lundqvist deserved a large contract but i think this is too long of a term as he is going to decline in skill
This most likely will be his last nhl contract
But the rangers needed to resign him

lucmanawesome is offline   Reply With Quote