HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's face the truth, this is not a good team.

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I just don't think that it is smart to move prospects and picks when the core of this team is so young, especially if it's for a rental like you seem to imply. We are still building, even if the team is playing well.
Age is irrelevant. Crosby won at 21, so did Toews. Performance is all that matters.
We have a good bunch of guys that are performing well, and will keep to perform well (actually they'll even improve). I think putting us in the rebuilding category is a mistake and might make us miss an opportunity.
Plekanec is playing some seriously solid hockey. I feel this is the best he's been because he finally has some good help down the middle. He's not relied upon to shutdown the best line on top of producing every single night. He can have just a solid defensive game while the DD line produces. He also can get help from Eller's line.
Eller has build his frame nicely. He's a hard guy to get off the puck and his defensive skills are well polished as well.
Our depth is as good as it's ever been up front. So, ya, we have young players like Galchenyuk and Gallagher, but they are performing well and are surrounded by some good young veterans like Plekanec, MaxPac, Prust. We have a pretty good balance here. We're not that far away from reaching contender status. I think waiting for an extra 2-3 years would be a huge missed opportunity.
We have a lot of good prospects, enough to package for something good and not deplete our stock.

If we can upgrade, we definitely should be going for it.

Old
12-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, Briere has been decent and has surprisingly good chemistry with Plekanec, but that move still baffles me when we really could have targetted a difference maker up there.

The thing is, this is probably a good but not great team, but the east is so weak this year all it could take is a little luck to make a run. That's why every little move made right now matters.
The East sucks. That's why I was so upset. No big deal if we weren't a good team anyway but I really felt like we had a shot at something here.

If we're still near at the top at the deadline I'd be cool with some aggressive moves. I just hope its not for another smurf...

Old
12-06-2013, 10:37 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If Bergevin wants to 'go for it' he should beef up the D and get us some big wingers. Dealing away some smaller guys up front would help.

That also means we have to re-sign Markov and we have to deal picks/prospects. I'm cool with that if the team stays hot.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I don't think we're that far away. Just needed a few pieces and we should've done a much better job of this in the summer instead of wasting our time the way we did.
We already have a tough, hard-hitting defenceman on each of our three pairings:
SUBBAN-Markov
EMELIN-Gorges
Diaz-MURRAY

Players know they can't come into the Habs zone with their head down. Drewiske would have been fine as #7 but instead we have Frankie B. I suppose if we need to, we could bring up Tinordi or Pateryn if we need a defensive D, or Beaulieu if we need an offensive D. However, if we are trying to win it this year, while we have guys on ELC that are contributing, then I agree with Dawson's Guy, some able- but big-bodies on D could help, as would moving a guy like Briere out and getting another player in the mold of Prust or Moen. I'm even ok with keeping Briere in case of injury to a smaller offensive forward, so long as we reduce the number of those guys in the actual lineup by at least 1. I'd love to be able to spell a guy like Desharnais when we play two back-to-back game sets like we just did; use David in the second game, especially at home where we can control the line matchups, and his energy could spark us.

As long as we have a Price dominating in nets, a perennial Norris-trophy contending defenceman carrying the D-squad, the General playing inspired hockey, and a core of Patches, Pleks, Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher up front, then we have a chance to win every night. A better supporting cast, even just slightly better, might be the difference maker.

Old
12-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
We already have a tough, hard-hitting defenceman on each of our three pairings:
SUBBAN-Markov
EMELIN-Gorges
Diaz-MURRAY

Players know they can't come into the Habs zone with their head down. Drewiske would have been fine as #7 but instead we have Frankie B. I suppose if we need to, we could bring up Tinordi or Pateryn if we need a defensive D, or Beaulieu if we need an offensive D. However, if we are trying to win it this year, while we have guys on ELC that are contributing, then I agree with Dawson's Guy, some able- but big-bodies on D could help, as would moving a guy like Briere out and getting another player in the mold of Prust or Moen. I'm even ok with keeping Briere in case of injury to a smaller offensive forward, so long as we reduce the number of those guys in the actual lineup by at least 1. I'd love to be able to spell a guy like Desharnais when we play two back-to-back game sets like we just did; use David in the second game, especially at home where we can control the line matchups, and his energy could spark us.

As long as we have a Price dominating in nets, a perennial Norris-trophy contending defenceman carrying the D-squad, the General playing inspired hockey, and a core of Patches, Pleks, Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher up front, then we have a chance to win every night. A better supporting cast, even just slightly better, might be the difference maker.
We're a good team. I'm not saying otherwise. (Feel free to see my posts in this thread when we were struggling.) I'm saying we could be a much better with a few moves.

Again, our weakness is in the dirty areas. In the crease... at BOTH ends.

Subban, Emelin, Gorges... yes there's some grit there. But none are great at clearing the crease. And our forwards aren't good in the crease either. We can't just throw it on Price and hope for the best. He's a great goalie but if we give him more protection he'll just be that much more effective.

Big winger, big blueliner. Not easy to get but that's what we needed coming into this season and its what we need now.

Winning battles in the crease is not the be all and end all. But when you're ineffective at both its going to hurt you. It killed us against Ottawa last year. We do a lot of things well. Goaltending, skating, we've got some scoring talent and maybe the best blueliner (and maybe the best pairing) in the NHL. Lots to be excited about.

Where's the weakness? Size, defensive depth, a BIG number three guy who excels at the dirty areas, a big winger who will screen the goalie. Big winger, #3 blueliner. We get this and we're in great shape, esp in the Eastern Conference.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:16 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Age is irrelevant. Crosby won at 21, so did Toews. Performance is all that matters.
We have a good bunch of guys that are performing well, and will keep to perform well (actually they'll even improve). I think putting us in the rebuilding category is a mistake and might make us miss an opportunity.
Plekanec is playing some seriously solid hockey. I feel this is the best he's been because he finally has some good help down the middle. He's not relied upon to shutdown the best line on top of producing every single night. He can have just a solid defensive game while the DD line produces. He also can get help from Eller's line.
Eller has build his frame nicely. He's a hard guy to get off the puck and his defensive skills are well polished as well.
Our depth is as good as it's ever been up front. So, ya, we have young players like Galchenyuk and Gallagher, but they are performing well and are surrounded by some good young veterans like Plekanec, MaxPac, Prust. We have a pretty good balance here. We're not that far away from reaching contender status. I think waiting for an extra 2-3 years would be a huge missed opportunity.
We have a lot of good prospects, enough to package for something good and not deplete our stock.

If we can upgrade, we definitely should be going for it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy if we make a good trade that benefits both teams. All I'm really saying it that it really isn't worth to trade future assets at the deadline for a rental, and engage in a "win-now" mentality. It also isn't good to always gamble on the future, either.

I'd be happy if we made a solid trade that made sense. I was hoping we wouldn't have to make a trade and maybe acquire an effective player in the off-season, but I was kind of disappointed when we signed Briere. He's been great lately, I just kind of wish we acquired someone with more size. I'm still optimistic that he will be useful in the playoffs though.

In the end I agree with the fact we should make a trade if the opportunity presents itself, but not for the sake of making a trade. I don't really agree with you saying age is irrelevant. Oilers had too many young guys and paid for it. Devils have too many old guys and they're paying for it. As long as we aren't giving up too much youth, which I highly doubt Bergevin will do, I'm fine.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Andy

LG and I haven't changed our positions much from the summer. The habs have an opportunity here with the east being extremely weak. The Habs are a top 6 RW with the drive get in the dirty areas and a top 4 defensemen away from being a contender. This is why the Briere signing was such a piss off because it wasn't what the team needed. Jagr (not gritty, but is a possession machine), MacAruthur, hell even Penner (who I don't like, but is a two time cup winner) would have been better targets, but we chose to throw money at Briere before the UFA period started.

A window has opened with the state of the east. As Kriss said, it would be a shame for Bergevin to waste this opportunity, especially given the ages of Markov, Plekanec and Gionta. Though i think the former two still have a lot left in the tank, they are playing great right now.

That is why I admire Chiarelli. He recognizes his team is good NOW and is looking to keep it a contender to milk as many cups as he can from this particular roster. Sure the Seguin move in controversial, but I admire his outlook here.

The habs are closer than they've been in the longest time. The only team that scares me in the east is Boston, and even at that, I feel like we match up well could win in a 7 game series. Not only that, but with the way Price is playing right now who knows what could happen against a Western conference team.

Anyway, I will be watching Bergevin carefully in the immediate short-term.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
This thread is priceless. Win a few, we are awesome, cup contenders. Lose 2 in a row, nothing but a garbage roster all should be traded.
Some fell into this trap, but most recognized that the team was much better than it looked when slumping, and not as unbeatable as they look right now during a hot streak.

But you have to be good to go 8-0-1 in your last nine games.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy if we make a good trade that benefits both teams. All I'm really saying it that it really isn't worth to trade future assets at the deadline for a rental, and engage in a "win-now" mentality. It also isn't good to always gamble on the future, either.

I'd be happy if we made a solid trade that made sense. I was hoping we wouldn't have to make a trade and maybe acquire an effective player in the off-season, but I was kind of disappointed when we signed Briere. He's been great lately, I just kind of wish we acquired someone with more size. I'm still optimistic that he will be useful in the playoffs though.

In the end I agree with the fact we should make a trade if the opportunity presents itself, but not for the sake of making a trade. I don't really agree with you saying age is irrelevant. Oilers had too many young guys and paid for it. Devils have too many old guys and they're paying for it. As long as we aren't giving up too much youth, which I highly doubt Bergevin will do, I'm fine.
I'm not saying make a trade for the sake of it, of course not. I'm saying make trades that upgrades us. If this means throwing in an extra pick, so be it. If that means moving Beaulieu, so be it. Of course, I'm not talking of moving Beaulieu for Shane O'Brien here..
But I do think we have entered the period of being buyers. If we skip on that, we can miss an opportunity. The East is wide open.
I don't think we should have this mindset of ''not moving anything worth more than a 3rd round pick''.

As for the age being irrelevant, it is. I'm not talking about the Oilers, I'm talking about the Habs. Every team is different. The Oilers don't have a Norris winner, an allstar keeper, and solid veteran presence. We do. We have solid veterans like Gionta, Plekanec, and Markov. We have a Norris winner with PK. We have an Allstar goalie with Price. We have good offensive depth that's well balanced in our top 9, and smart sandpaper on the 4th line. So yes, it's irrelevant if some of our guys our young. We have a good team, it just needs a little upgrade both up front and on D. Easier said than done, but definitely a need.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Some fell into this trap, but most recognized that the team was much better than it looked when slumping, and not as unbeatable as they look right now during a hot streak.

But you have to be good to go 8-0-1 in your last nine games.
A lot of people have actually kept their opinions the same, as in, we still need a bigger guy up front for top 6-9 and an upgrade on 4D.

Old
12-06-2013, 11:57 PM
TiCats

Pierre McGuire was talking very highly of Matt Moulson on the Melnick's show today. Maybe Bergevin could send Gionta the other way with some prospect / picks. Moulson could bring size to the top six and he can score goals. He goes to the net.

Perhaps Buffalo would take Gionta as a vet leader for their re-build. Hometown guy that may sign an extension? I reckon adding McCarron to the deal wouldn't be so bad. Most would probably agree that we had a solid draft even with him removed from the list of prospects.

As for defence? I dunno. I'll get back to you.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:26 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
I'm not saying make a trade for the sake of it, of course not. I'm saying make trades that upgrades us. If this means throwing in an extra pick, so be it. If that means moving Beaulieu, so be it. Of course, I'm not talking of moving Beaulieu for Shane O'Brien here..
But I do think we have entered the period of being buyers. If we skip on that, we can miss an opportunity. The East is wide open.
I don't think we should have this mindset of ''not moving anything worth more than a 3rd round pick''.

As for the age being irrelevant, it is. I'm not talking about the Oilers, I'm talking about the Habs. Every team is different. The Oilers don't have a Norris winner, an allstar keeper, and solid veteran presence. We do. We have solid veterans like Gionta, Plekanec, and Markov. We have a Norris winner with PK. We have an Allstar goalie with Price. We have good offensive depth that's well balanced in our top 9, and smart sandpaper on the 4th line. So yes, it's irrelevant if some of our guys our young. We have a good team, it just needs a little upgrade both up front and on D. Easier said than done, but definitely a need.
Good points, I agree with you. I got the impression you wanted to trade some future assets for rentals, but that was never your mindset. My mistake.

We should definitely beef up this team for the playoffs, especially in terms of size on the wings in my opinion.

Old
12-07-2013, 12:28 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Briere looks good out there now, he took awhile to get going but he looks good....i dont understand why people would want to ship him at the deadline if we're in a top spot...its the playoffs we want him for.

right now our defence has been exceptional....and our goal scoring is great...we are top five in PK and PP...we have a couple of enforcers and one a bonafide heavyweight.
with the contract to subban next year and an extension for markov as well i think our defense is going to sort itself out with tinordi and beaulieu probabley making the jump....so the only thing i see us really needing is evander kane.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Briere looks good out there now, he took awhile to get going but he looks good....i dont understand why people would want to ship him at the deadline if we're in a top spot...its the playoffs we want him for.

right now our defence has been exceptional....and our goal scoring is great...we are top five in PK and PP...we have a couple of enforcers and one a bonafide heavyweight.
with the contract to subban next year and an extension for markov as well i think our defense is going to sort itself out with tinordi and beaulieu probabley making the jump....so the only thing i see us really needing is evander kane.
Every year it's the same thing. We burn out come the POs. It doesn't matter if you send out Briere or picks, as long as we get another big guy that can do what Gallagher does. We need more crease presence. Gallagher will be dead come POs.

I'd say this good be a good year with the Olympic break, except that so many of our players are likely going.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:11 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
No it's not. Their D is better as a whole, much faster and better a playing the puck.
Quote:
Markov and Subban could be argued to be more effective for sure. That's about it.

Tougher? No.

And definitely not as good at clearing the crease.
Must be the reason for helping them give up 30 % more goals than us.

Old
12-07-2013, 01:24 AM
thewall

I like our team but let's not kid ourselves .. we are an injury (Markov, Subban or Price) of being an average team... I think we lack dept in scoring and if one of our top 2 d's go down.. we are screwed.. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this situation any time soon!

Old
12-07-2013, 01:29 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Big winger.
We had that other big winger in Erik Cole, but replaced him with Ryder. He and Pacioretty with Desharnais were a dominant line 2 years ago. I still think we could've used him and would've been more productive than Ryder was.

Old
12-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Halifaxhab*

Le Holy chicken little batman!

This team is good, as in competes very well in regular season....not great as in playoff performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
We had that other big winger in Erik Cole, but replaced him with Ryder. He and Pacioretty with Desharnais were a dominant line 2 years ago. I still think we could've used him and would've been more productive than Ryder was.
Adding a talented winger with size is exactly what is needed. Those are tough to find though. There's a rumor that Nick Foligno is a target, good, there's a 3rd liner....but likely looking at this summer before we can add that player....and he wont be cheap.

Old
12-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Lshap

Quote:

Agreed. There's the next thread title: "From Sellers to Buyers". It takes balls to plant your flag and fight in the present, rather than keep planning for a hopeful future. Time to stop stockpiling picks and fortify the team we have. Subban and Price will be 30 years old by the time our 2014 draft picks join the club. This is the year to dangle our 1st-round pick and a prospect for a solid winger.

It would be ideal to get another D, but I'm still optimistic that one will step up from Hamilton.

Old
12-07-2013, 08:16 AM
dcyhabs

The team is good but a year or two away. Once there are forward and D prospects in Hamilton pushing for jobs the habs will be in a position to trade a good player for a good player who fits better. Only counter-issue is Markov, he's pretty much the only key player who is getting old, but I think he can still be solid in 2 years.

2015-2016 Hamilton should be stacked and short term moves will be a logical option. For now the habs are Leafing it (bad possession numbers, and watching the games the possession stats look right, still winning) while completely healthy. An injury or two and the playoffs will go like last year. If some Hamilton guys progress all could change...

Old
12-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
I like our team but let's not kid ourselves .. we are an injury (Markov, Subban or Price) of being an average team... I think we lack dept in scoring and if one of our top 2 d's go down.. we are screwed.. Hopefully we won't have to deal with this situation any time soon!
Not sure if any team in the east is deeper than the habs right now. If either Markov or Subban goes down we stil have one of the best D-man in the league. I doubt they both go down at the same time. If we lose Price, we still have Budaj. Not ideal but not a catastrophe either. Are the Penguins contenders let alone playoff bound if they lose either Malkin or Crosby? Are the Bruins if they lose Chara? I think taking away top end talent would hurt any team.

Old
12-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Carey Price is the reason. Pretty easy to see this.

Well, that and the Hawks probably having Stanley Cup hangover.

Old
12-07-2013, 09:32 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Le Holy chicken little batman!

This team is good, as in competes very well in regular season....not great as in playoff performances.

Adding a talented winger with size is exactly what is needed. Those are tough to find though. There's a rumor that Nick Foligno is a target, good, there's a 3rd liner....but likely looking at this summer before we can add that player....and he wont be cheap.
You know what? I think a reasonnable trade with Colombus that would brought in Foligno and Tyutin might be well enough for the Habs to be a sure top 3 team in the east, and a true contender to reach the final.

Old
12-07-2013, 10:08 AM
endo519

I don't mean come across as pessimistic but I am not sold on this team, or maybe its a lack of trust. Regardless I am not going to be blinded by the Habs recent success like most on this forum it seems. Fact is we usually are a good team built for the season.

Unless we do something about our top 6 midgets we will be embarrassed and out in 5 again. Playoffs is a whole new beast we all know that, where other teams players will get away with things that would be called in the season. Big part of our success is on the power play .

Yes I am happy we are doing well and I hope I am wrong but unless we make some trades before playoffs we are destined for the same fate. I don't know anyone else feeling me?

Old
12-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I don't think that's fair though. Chicago plays a very offensive game, at least they do during the regular season. They aren't as careful defensively as we are. They know they can outmatch any offensive production of any other team, so they don't need to tighten up after scoring.

Price is also a big reason why our numbers are so high. He's been nothing short of remarkable thus far.

So I don't think looking at the numbers is a good way to paint the picture here.

Old
12-07-2013, 11:29 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo519 View Post
I don't mean come across as pessimistic but I am not sold on this team, or maybe its a lack of trust. Regardless I am not going to be blinded by the Habs recent success like most on this forum it seems. Fact is we usually are a good team built for the season.

Unless we do something about our top 6 midgets we will be embarrassed and out in 5 again. Playoffs is a whole new beast we all know that, where other teams players will get away with things that would be called in the season. Big part of our success is on the power play .

Yes I am happy we are doing well and I hope I am wrong but unless we make some trades before playoffs we are destined for the same fate. I don't know anyone else feeling me?
Well, there are some posters in this thread that are feeling the same way as you do. I'm one.

But unlike you, I don't think that many changes are necessary. Sometimes, only 1 or 2 moves are enough to redistribute a bit better the stuff on the lines or on the duos. For example, bringing in another top 4 d-man also means that your bottom 2 pair gets better since a d-man from the actual top 4 is put down there. Same for the lines. Adding a top six also means your bottom 6 gets better for the same reason.

Habs have a vezina-caliber goalie and a norris-caliber d-man. They have an interesting (if not above average) young group of forward as a core, and some valuable veterans like Markov and Plek. I'm starting to think that the future we keep talking about starts this year. Add a nice top 9 forward with size and grit capable of scoring 15 goals a year, and another top 4 d-man with size, and reaching the final his highly doable.

Closed Thread