Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2013, 07:05 PM
NTDP

vCash: 500
Halfway through the second and that was a terrible giveaway by malysa, he's slow on his feet. Again way to many whaler shots missing the net

Old
12-06-2013, 08:27 PM
NTDP

Well through the other part of the second I loved what I saw from the team. Nice pushback and good to see Hartman step right in and contribute, although I hate that penalty that he took late in the game. They played pretty well overall against one of the better teams in the league tonight. Lorentz played one of his best games this year because not only what he did offensively, but how he contributed on the PK and on the defensive side of the puck throughout the game. Yet another game we were close in, just couldn't get it done, could have been worse though, as I thought the Soo were poised to run away with it halfway through the second.

Old
12-06-2013, 09:59 PM
WhalerBlue

The Whalers may have just played their best overall game of the year tonight. We really were junk the first 10 minutes of the 2nd period, but really pushed back well. We really got a bad call against us and we had just rung one off of the post. That bad penalty call killed our momentum. Giveaways in your own end=bad news. That is what cost us tonight, but I liked our effort and the fact that we didn't get outshot 2 to 1. Lets hope for a better result tomorrow.

Old
12-06-2013, 10:24 PM
NTDP

Also wanted to say congrats to Rathgeb for getting named the the Swiss pre tournament roster for the upcoming WJC.

Old
12-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

The team did look good, coming back to make the game close against one of the best teams in the league. Yes, there were some defensive breakdowns that cost us, but I've come to expect that. It was nice to see Hartman and Crus Rydberg back in action. That leaves only Alex Peters on the injured list.

Zach Lorentz's aunt and uncle, who are from Waterloo, were sitting next to us, and we had very pleasant conversations with them throughout the game. They were quite excited to see their nephew score twice. The couple are big OHL fans and Kitchener Rangers season ticket holders, but are also Whalers fans right now for obvious reasons.

Old
12-07-2013, 07:55 AM
NTDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
The team did look good, coming back to make the game close against one of the best teams in the league. Yes, there were some defensive breakdowns that cost us, but I've come to expect that. It was nice to see Hartman and Crus Rydberg back in action. That leaves only Alex Peters on the injured list.

Zach Lorentz's aunt and uncle, who are from Waterloo, were sitting next to us, and we had very pleasant conversations with them throughout the game. They were quite excited to see their nephew score twice. The couple are big OHL fans and Kitchener Rangers season ticket holders, but are also Whalers fans right now for obvious reasons.
That's one of the awesome things about junior hockey. The teams, fans, and community surrounding the team is such a tight knit group.

Old
12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
WhalerBlue

Let us pray,

Lord, if you can see fit to give us a three goal lead in the 1st and make sure our D-men clear the zone, forwards get back into the play quickly and the goaltender is sound. Play the game, which was played last night, without defensive breakdowns We should be alright, thanks for your help.

Amen brothers and sisters!

Let's go Whalers. Let's beat a good team tonight!

Old
12-07-2013, 08:31 PM
NTDP

They battled through the whole game, Guelph is a team gunning for an OHL title and the Whalers at the opposite. I know we have had some things to say about Rathgeb earlier in the season, but I like the character this kid has. For a euro, he's had a few fights already and dropped the gloves last night, not being afraid to charge the net, and getting pucks through. There's always some work to do defensively but it's to easy to look at the negative all the time. I think they messed that 2nd goal up on the call. I think Lorentz tipped that Rathgeb shot and not Chatham. Speaking of Chatham, he needs to get going in my opinion. He has some good shifts but he's not bringing it consistently, he's better than that. We can't rely on Lorentz, Hartman, and Sandlak every game to get us 2 or 3 goals to have a chance.

Also wanted to mention Henderson got worked down low a bit tonight, especially by the big Justin Auger in the first, but I will be excited to see how he is playing a year from now.

Last edited by NTDP: 12-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old
12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
They battled through the whole game, Guelph is a team gunning for an OHL title and the Whalers at the opposite. I know we have had some things to say about Rathgeb earlier in the season, but I like the character this kid has. For a euro, he's had a few fights already and dropped the gloves last night, not being afraid to charge the net, and getting pucks through. There's always some work to do defensively but it's to easy to look at the negative all the time. I think they messed that 2nd goal up on the call. I think Lorentz tipped that Rathgeb shot and not Chatham. Speaking of Chatham, he needs to get going in my opinion. He has some good shifts but he's not bringing it consistently, he's better than that. We can't rely on Lorentz, Hartman, and Sandlak every game to get us 2 or 3 goals to have a chance.

Also wanted to mention Henderson got worked down low a bit tonight, especially by the big Justin Auger in the first, but I will be excited to see how he is playing a year from now.
You didn't see the same game as me. We sucked in all three zones and it showed it's ugly head tonight. We have too much work to do on our problems to even think about being competitive on a nightly basis. Rathgeb sucks as an OHL D man, regardless of what he dropped or who he thought he might fight. This guy is miserable a a OHL D-Man. Chatham might have been the most consistent player on the offense tonight. Rumors around the rink include a trade that involves more rebuilding, players names with held in respect to them. If said trade happens, don't be shocked, just think about when we make the playoffs next year. I say all this right on the heels of what I considered to be our best game at home, last night. It was brought to my attention that I should not be so vocal about our short comings. To this I say, forget about feelings, let's just start doing a better job down low and get the puck out. Is Vellucci not getting the message across? Why do we suck so bad within our own zone? I say at this point, that we will struggle to make the playoffs. I have always known the Vellucci Whalers to be good in their own end, even when we didn't have the stuff to score at will. Speaking of Sandlak, I heard that an NHL team is looking to sign him. For his sake, I hope it is true. He might not have to endure the rest of this deal...

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 12-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old
12-07-2013, 10:07 PM
stormfanone

fans

What kind of fans would leave after you score you first goal, still over fifteen mins. left in the game. I never saw that before.

Old
12-07-2013, 10:39 PM
itsahemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfanone View Post
What kind of fans would leave after you score you first goal, still over fifteen mins. left in the game. I never saw that before.
As an Otter STH - and I'm not condoning anyone leaving early - I'll assume you didn't get to many Erie home game over the last decade.

Old
12-07-2013, 11:32 PM
NTDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
You didn't see the same game as me. We sucked in all three zones and it showed it's ugly head tonight. We have too much work to do on our problems to even think about being competitive on a nightly basis. Rathgeb sucks as an OHL D man, regardless of what he dropped or who he thought he might fight. This guy is miserable a a OHL D-Man. Chatham might have been the most consistent player on the offense tonight. Rumors around the rink include a trade that involves more rebuilding, players names with held in respect to them. If said trade happens, don't be shocked, just think about when we make the playoffs next year. I say all this right on the heels of what I considered to be our best game at home, last night. It was brought to my attention that I should not be so vocal about our short comings. To this I say, forget about feelings, let's just start doing a better job down low and get the puck out. Is Vellucci not getting the message across? Why do we suck so bad within our own zone? I say at this point, that we will struggle to make the playoffs. I have always known the Vellucci Whalers to be good in their own end, even when we didn't have the stuff to score at will. Speaking of Sandlak, I heard that an NHL team is looking to sign him. For his sake, I hope it is true. He might not have to endure the rest of this deal...
Sandlak was signed by the Hurricanes. We can't hit the panic button on the playoffs in early December. We got beat by one of, if not when it's all said and done the best team in the OHL, and you just want to rip apart the team. Yes we were competitive in the first period, and late in the second with that flurry we put on late. We have been competitive in many games we have played. Some of their best hockey has been on the road. We have beaten some good teams this year, and the game in Guelph in November was what I thought the best game of the year so far. I think going into the year we thought some of our new guys were going to be a lot better than they are, because they have played at a junior level, or have already been drafted, and some of us set the bar a little to high for this team. We knew it was going to be tough to compete in the western conf. this year, and that 8th spot will be fought for by us, the Sting, and the Rangers.

Im sure Vellucci is doing the best he can with what he has to work with. We don't have much size on our back end, and guys like Henderson and Wesley can't hold their own down low. And you know the scouting report is get pucks in deep and crash on those two because they cough up the puck down low. Mitch Jones consistently gets beat 1 on 1, Malysa doesn't have very good puck moving skills, just more of a shut down role, and he is questionable at that. Yeah Rathgeb has holes in his game, and he's throwing his body around more, I was more referring to his offense since he, Henderson, and Curcuruto supply it from the back end, plus, Mercer and Dunda can't move the puck up ice when it hits their stick. Other guys like VCR and Chatham should be able to receive a breakout pass but that even fails sometimes. So what is the D left to do when you have what i'm sure feels like limited options? That's why they throw the puck up the boards and it gets turned over. They at least chipped it past the blue line tonight, only other option is to ice the damn thing.

Last edited by NTDP: 12-07-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old
12-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I did not think the team looked good last night, either. The ice was tilted heavily in Guelph's direction all night, as once again the team could not clear the defensive zone or make decent transition passes in the neutral zone. It's tough to watch, but I am hoping the growing pains now will lead to better hockey in the future. I do have my doubts about Plymouth keeping it's playoff streak alive this season, though.

With better offensive play, the outcome of this game could have been different. I was not impressed with Guelph's goaltender, who was leaving big, juicy rebounds out there all night, but there were never any Whalers near the net to capitalize. Ned played great, keeping the score from getting way out of hand.

While Henderson seems to be coming along offensively, he is a liability in the defensive zone. He needs to spend a lot of time working on this part of his game. Wesley and Rathgeb seem to be developing in this area a little better, and the team misses Peters.

Mistelle has been a big disappointment to me this season. With this being his draft year and being a potential 1st round pick, he has regressed a lot, IMO. Matt was more successful with last year's team, where there was enough talent around him to set him up. He is struggling to create his own offense with less surrounding talent this year. His draft stock must be dropping.

The addition of Hiddick has been a waste, too. I have yet to see this guy make any worthwhile contribution on the ice. It looks like this was a wasted trade of a 3rd round pick.

While Sandlak did sign an ELC with Carolina, I doubt that he will be leaving the Whalers until after the season is over -- I am not even sure what the rule is regarding OA players in this case, but such as signing is usually to lock the player up for next season, and Carolina does sign a lot of former Whalers (makes sense, with the same ownership).

Old
12-08-2013, 08:39 AM
NTDP

Thinking about it last night, as a whole the whalers have one of the weakest D cores in the league. When they are pressured, they cough up the puck in their own zone. I thought Guelph's goaltending was alright last night, he made a few nice saves to prevent the Whalers from scoring, especially late in the 2nd. I agree on Mistele, he has been invisible in many games this year, I doubt it's the draft year pressure. I think (as whalers fan eluded to) it was playing with better players last year that stood him out more.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:43 PM
SnipShow

vCash: 50
Will this be the first year the Whales are sellers at the deadline? This team needs some serious rebuilding. Does anyone have any insight if any of the US development kids will come over next year? Greenway or Milano?

Old
12-09-2013, 05:12 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipShow View Post
Will this be the first year the Whales are sellers at the deadline? This team needs some serious rebuilding. Does anyone have any insight if any of the US development kids will come over next year? Greenway or Milano?
I hope so. Why not give a few guys a chance to win it all? I hear a name that keeps coming up in a trade rumor, could be a big deal if true (not as big as Rychel trade). If they, USD players, get drafted in the NHL draft in the first 3 rounds or projected to, I wouldn't bet against it.

Old
12-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
I hope so. Why not give a few guys a chance to win it all? I hear a name that keeps coming up in a trade rumor, could be a big deal if true (not as big as Rychel trade). If they, USD players, get drafted in the NHL draft in the first 3 rounds or projected to, I wouldn't bet against it.
I wouldn't be opposed to dealing a player or two to help with the rebuild process. It will be interesting to see if Vellucci relents and becomes a seller for the first time. I would imagine that Hartman would bring quite a return. I'm not counting on it, though, as it is just not how things have been done around here.

Old
12-09-2013, 09:50 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to dealing a player or two to help with the rebuild process. It will be interesting to see if Vellucci relents and becomes a seller for the first time. I would imagine that Hartman would bring quite a return. I'm not counting on it, though, as it is just not how things have been done around here.
You bring up some good points. I would trade Hartman in a second to give him a shot at a championship. The reality is that he won't be back next year. I think you have to look at who will be back next year and then figure out the OA'er situation, which I believe the only player would be Curcuruto. Hartman might be the only player that you could get any return for at this point. Could you deal Sandlak or Lorentz as OA'ers? Probably not. The one thing that might be an option after the season is to deal some 95 birth year players. We currently have 6 or 7 that would be OA'ers the year after next. What do you go after? Goaltending is good, but after that we need everything. Our veteran players as a whole are having a miserable season. Something I didn't expect to this extent. The one variable is the USD players or NCAA commitment players that could possibly show up at the door and sign contracts with us.

Old
12-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
You bring up some good points. I would trade Hartman in a second to give him a shot at a championship. The reality is that he won't be back next year. I think you have to look at who will be back next year and then figure out the OA'er situation, which I believe the only player would be Curcuruto. Hartman might be the only player that you could get any return for at this point. Could you deal Sandlak or Lorentz as OA'ers? Probably not. The one thing that might be an option after the season is to deal some 95 birth year players. We currently have 6 or 7 that would be OA'ers the year after next. What do you go after? Goaltending is good, but after that we need everything. Our veteran players as a whole are having a miserable season. Something I didn't expect to this extent. The one variable is the USD players or NCAA commitment players that could possibly show up at the door and sign contracts with us.
I cannot see Sandlak or Lorentz being traded, either. Trading OA's is difficult, and both players have played well and offer more to this team than Plymouth could get in a trade. I doubt Malysa gets dealt, either, as he is the team captain.

I could see Mistele going for the right offer, too. He has been a disappointment this season, but his trade value may still be high enough for a decent return.

Other than Mistele or Hartman, though, I just do not see anyone on the roster as a potential sell. Everyone else is either part of the rebuild, too young, or not worth much in a trade.

Old
12-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Another ugly performance last night. The defense is not getting any better. Malysa looks so slow -- I do not remember him looking that slow last season. The only good part for us was visiting with the Saginaw fans who always sit in front of us when the Spirit are in town -- they are very nice people.

The official attendance was a little over 1,000 people, but that was being very generous. I have never seen Compuware looking so empty. This was the first mid-week regular season night game I can remember (not including the traditional night before Thanksgiving game). Talking with a staff member, it sounds like the game was due to a scheduling issue this season. I doubt we will be seeing another weeknight game any time soon.

Old
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
WhalerBlue

There might have been 100 people, maybe 200 in the whole building including CJ's. 1000! Not a chance. We looked decent until down 2-0 and then it got way ugly. Any team in the league that knows anything about the Whalers, knows that an aggressive forecheck will usually result in the Whalers turning it over in their own zone, thus giving you another crack at our goalie. We looked especially impressive on the PP when Saginaw scores a SHG just a few seconds into our PP. Heard the rumor again about the trade that is supposed to happen. As of last night, we officially have lost more games in the first half than we did all of last year. This is really going to be a long year.

Old
12-13-2013, 04:19 AM
rebuild101

as a sting fan tell me about it

see you guys tonight.

best of luck

Old
12-13-2013, 09:32 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
There might have been 100 people, maybe 200 in the whole building including CJ's. 1000! Not a chance. We looked decent until down 2-0 and then it got way ugly. Any team in the league that knows anything about the Whalers, knows that an aggressive forecheck will usually result in the Whalers turning it over in their own zone, thus giving you another crack at our goalie. We looked especially impressive on the PP when Saginaw scores a SHG just a few seconds into our PP. Heard the rumor again about the trade that is supposed to happen. As of last night, we officially have lost more games in the first half than we did all of last year. This is really going to be a long year.
Does that rumor involve Hartman? Would Vellucci actually move a very valuable asset?

Old
12-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Does that rumor involve Hartman? Would Vellucci actually move a very valuable asset?
While I think Vellucci's stance on not dealing assets is normally commendable, if he is ever going to make a trade, this is the year to do it, and Hartman is the asset to move. The Whalers may not make the playoffs even with Hartman in the lineup, and I'm sure Ryan wouldn't mind having another chance at winning an OHL title. Plymouth should get a sizable return for him, based on what Rychel fetched for Windsor.

The only other possibility, not including Mistele (who I mentioned a few responses ago), would be Curcuruto. A good puck moving defenseman like him would certainly draw a lot of interest.

Old
12-13-2013, 04:48 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
It does and yes. He is only valuable if you can trade him for what you want at the end of the day. If a team is willing to give players and draft picks, I think Plymouth can benefit greatly.

Closed Thread