HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XI

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2013, 08:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Neal should get 5+ imo

Thornton should get 25+

Injuries and stardom come into play there, unfortunately. If Marchand was concussed or worse, I could see Neal getting 10-20.

Old
12-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Flying

neal's been all but confirmed for a **** for some time now, but tbh i lost a lot of respect for thornton

Old
12-07-2013, 11:46 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Brooks Orpik can thank Neal for that one. What Neal did was worse because of the intentions of both players. Neal blatantly stuck out his knee, whereas I highly doubt Thornton had the intention of knocking Orpik out cold. He caught in the worst spot possible.

Old
12-07-2013, 11:54 PM
flyershockey

Phone hearing for Neal? What a joke. That was as dirty a play that we've seen all season. Both guys should get ten games at least.

Old
12-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Brooks Orpik can thank Neal for that one. What Neal did was worse because of the intentions of both players. Neal blatantly stuck out his knee, whereas I highly doubt Thornton had the intention of knocking Orpik out cold. He caught in the worst spot possible.
...What? I'm not saying it wasn't intentional of Neal to do that, but he was skating in a straight line almost and his feet never stopped skating. He wasn't even looking down at the ice. It's very easy to argue either way with him.

Thornton literally took an unsuspecting player down to the ice from behind and gave him two quick sucker punches to the face before anything could be done by anyone. Not sure what he expected two sucker punches to a player on the ground and an unexpected backwards fall to the ice to do but it was very much filled with ill intent there and Orpik got knocked out cold.

Marchand didn't even get hurt and was only in that position because another player legitimately hit him down on the ice right before Neal came into the picture.

Old
12-08-2013, 12:46 AM
kytem2

Old
12-08-2013, 12:52 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
...What? I'm not saying it wasn't intentional of Neal to do that, but he was skating in a straight line almost and his feet never stopped skating. He wasn't even looking down at the ice. It's very easy to argue either way with him.

Thornton literally took an unsuspecting player down to the ice from behind and gave him two quick sucker punches to the face before anything could be done by anyone. Not sure what he expected two sucker punches to a player on the ground and an unexpected backwards fall to the ice to do but it was very much filled with ill intent there and Orpik got knocked out cold.

Marchand didn't even get hurt and was only in that position because another player legitimately hit him down on the ice right before Neal came into the picture.
So he didn't even realise that he stuck his knee out when he got to Marchand? Come on!

Old
12-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

What Thornton did was so bad it's reminiscent of Bertuzzi/Moore, even if the injuries ultimately are not as severe.

But it's obvious that Neal knew exactly what he was doing, and he tried to be clever about it. If it was really an ah! oops! accident! Neal would have shown some sort of reaction to skating into Marchand's head. That's what you do when you accidentally skate into a heavy object. It startles you. You might even look and see what you hit. But Neal thinks that if he pulls the old 1000 yard stare, it'll come off like he was completely oblivious to what happened. Unfortunately, this indicates he knew exactly what he was doing and made no effort to avoid it. Hopefully Shanahan is smart enough to figure this all out. Of course, this isn't the first time Neal has "accidentally" clobbered someone who was a thorn in the Penguins side when they were vulnerable. James Neal is predatory and gutless.

Old
12-08-2013, 04:24 AM
dookie88

Quote:

I really like your posts most of the time, but you are completely uninformed on this one.
The video clearly shows Neal sticking out his left leg to make contact with Marchand's head. He also had a lot of time to react to Marchand's fall.
I mean what's worse, a guy ramming his knee-cap into someones head while being completely away from game-action or someone making a hit to the head while actually trying to make a hockey play?

I won't say Neal should get as much or more than Thornton, because you can't have guys slewfooting opponents who are already tangled up, but Neal should definitely get more than Scott did because Scott's hit was actually more of a hockey play and more accidently than what Neal did. I also hate, absolutely hate, how you are writing "he wasn't even injured". That's the worst excuse ever. Just because he wasn't injured doesn't make this any less worse.
Also he wasn't on the ice because of a legitimate hit, he was tripped by Crosby.
Seriously, have you even seen the whole segment?

Neal will someday get what he's deserving. I only hope nobody will be around to protect that punk.

Last edited by dookie88: 12-08-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old
12-08-2013, 04:57 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

So I go to sleep and this happens. Anyway, I think I'm a horrible person because I didn't feel much when I saw the Thornton incident for the first time. Also, if Neal gets less than say 5 games, I will start to question Shanahan's decisions (well, no, I started with that a long long time ago)

(yep the anti-Pens bias is strong within me, at least anti-Orpik bias that is)

Old
12-08-2013, 07:32 AM
FlyingPhilly

What Neal did was intentional. I don't know how people can say it wasn't. The guy skates forward and his left knee hits an object. He doesn't even look back to see what he hit. That right there lets you know Neal knows what he did. Only a phone hearing for him, what a joke. Both Kneel and Thornton deserve 10 games at the minimum.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:00 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
No, there's really no way to argue an accident. You're just taking the bait.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:17 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Neal is a ******* and I want to see someone pile drive his face into the boards.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:27 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I got no sympathy for the Pens at all. They are the dirtiest and cheapest team in the league and Neal just confirmed it

I got no problem with what Thornton did simply because it had been a long time coming for that team.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:30 AM
flyershockey

Quote:

Do you just intentionally play the role of contrarian in every conversation? Neal knew exactly what he was doing there. Thornton deserves whatever he gets. No problem with that. But let's not act like he skated over to him a threw two haymakers with the intention or ruining the guy's career.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:38 AM
MP92
Catching flies

I have no problem with Thornton going after Orpik, considering he concussed Eriksson on a hit that should have never been made. The puck was not on Eriksson's stick at any point, it was behind him. The problem is the way he did it. You can't just drag down a guy to the ice and punch his lights out. This is actually worse than what Emery did because unlike Thronton, Emery warned Holtby about what was about to occur and told him to defend himself (not arguing that incident was right or wrong here, just making a comparison). Whatever amount of games he gets, he deserves.

James Neal, well, there's not much to be said about that *******. What he did is not surprising in the least. His father should have wrapped it up or pulled out. Crosby and Malkin are dirty in their own right, but Neal is the worst on that team, especially now that Cooke is gone. It's a shame he won't get any more than 5 games, if that.

Also, people on the mainboard need to stop prefacing their comments on what Neal did with ''Marchand is a POS and a dirty player'' it doesn't matter if he is a dirty player, clean player or anything in between. It's completely irrelevant. Skating your knee into someone's head is uncalled for no matter who it is. Even if the roles were reversed, and it was Marchand doing that to Neal, it's unacceptable. Now, that does not mean you have to feel sympathy for him. But just because it happened to a dirty player does not make it anymore acceptable. It's not ok. So many people cry about wanting the sport to be rid of these kind of incidents, yet they make exceptions when the victim of a certain attack, hit, fight, ect is a player they do not like. You either want this crap out of the game, or you do not. It's quite simple really.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:42 AM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:

********. He glanced down and saw him.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:43 AM
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Neal should get 5+ imo

Thornton should get 25+

Injuries and stardom come into play there, unfortunately. If Marchand was concussed or worse, I could see Neal getting 10-20.
orpik is travelling with the team he can't be hurt that bad

Old
12-08-2013, 08:51 AM

Neal gets 5 or less. The NHL strikes again. Unbelievable.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:07 AM
flyershockey

If Orpik gets called for interference on that first hit, we're not talking about sucker punches today. Between that, Orpik's refusal to answer to anyone, and the Neal knee, it's not a shock that this all happened.

I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for that horse **** franchise. They've been the dirtiest team in the league since their cup team, yet they get the super star treatment anytime anyone comes back after them.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:15 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

The more I watch the Thorton/Orpik situation the more it looks less serious yes he was slew footed, and Thorton hit him twice, he wasn't "out" like Pens fans are claiming watch the slo-mo replay after he was "out" you see his hands come up and protect his face from the sticks that are going to hit him especially his right arm/hand, I'm not sold on this whole situation, and if he traveled with the team it wasn't that serious of an injury, for me the Neak knee on Marchand was way worse but won't get the negative attention it deserves

Old
12-08-2013, 09:16 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Neal gets 5 or less. The NHL strikes again. Unbelievable.
They're already laying the groundwork with the "I didn't see him" defense. Bylsma says he's not that type of player. I'm sure Mario will write a letter for extra credit, and would we be surprised if he gets off with another warning from No Balls Shanahan? What a farce.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:52 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
They're already laying the groundwork with the "I didn't see him" defense. Bylsma says he's not that type of player. I'm sure Mario will write a letter for extra credit, and would we be surprised if he gets off with another warning from No Balls Shanahan? What a farce.
Yeah, he definitely isn't that type of player. That is why he is a core part in many of these kinds of situations.

Can't believe some people think Neal isn't dirty or that type of player.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I hope Neal has apologized to Orpik.

12-08-2013, 10:23 AM
SuchySays

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Bruins forward Chris Kelly suffered broken ankle from Dupuis slash last night. Quite a game.

wow

Closed Thread