HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sat., Dec. 7, 2013|Flyers 1 at Stars 5 (Timonen: skated Dec. 9 at OTT, will play)

Old
12-07-2013, 07:13 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I was supposed to be in Dallas today... To see this game.. Uggg... Damn weather... Hoping the ticket insurance gives me the money back. We shall see...

Anyway, I just finished the game on the DVR. Good god, it was bad. Mason did some fantastic saves, but then it all went to hell...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 08:50 PM
DeflatedFootball7

So I missed the game today but from what I understand Rinaldo was goaded into being an idiot, we killed a 7 minute penalty, then fell apart in the second? Sound about right?

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Streit was a much better offensive producer as soon as last season, by a wide margin. Drop him on a completely anemic offense and his production dries up. Carle would absolutely do worse. There's a reason every nonbiased outside fan would have told you Streit is better than Carle coming into this season.
Streit was regressing as the season went on last season, especially defensively. Are you just arguing that Streit is better offensively? That might be true (although marginally at this point). I was taking issue with you saying that Carle was a disaster when overall he's a much better D than Streit right now.

Quote:
OK.

Go ahead and name all these Dmen who would instantly improve our offense, instead of falling victim to it. I guarantee they're all a very clear step above Carle.
Naming D that will improve our offense but are worse than Carle seems kind of pointless.

Quote:
Oh, and going back to your TOI argument for him being a #1...remember when he led the Flyers in TOI yet wasn't the #1?
If he leads the team in TOI then he's a very valuable part of the team. I'm just illustrating the point that if he's good enough for a successful Tampa team, he's good enough for the Flyers. Splitting hairs over whether or not he's the #1 or important #2 is missing the point.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Devastate

I missed the game. I see that mason had his steak come to an end
Did he have a bad game?

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I missed the game. I see that mason had his steak come to an end
Did he have a bad game?
Nope, he had a phenomenal first period. Team hung him out to dry in the 2nd. Horrible play, so Berube pulled him for the 3rd.

Not Mason's fault at all.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Streit was regressing as the season went on last season, especially defensively. Are you just arguing that Streit is better offensively? That might be true (although marginally at this point). I was taking issue with you saying that Carle was a disaster when overall he's a much better D than Streit right now.
Streit was also coming off injuries last season. He looks to be about middle of the pack defensively now, which is where Carle was in his last year with us.

Put Streit on TB and Carle on Philly and their roles reverse. Carle isn't good enough to improve a team on his own. Clearly, neither is Streit. They can make the right plays, but those plays don't do much if the people they're setting up collectively suck.

I'm not saying Carle is a disaster. That's a fantasy quote you've concocted and put in my mouth. What I SAID is there's zero reason to believe he would do any better, based on what we know about him, his capabilities, what he needs to succeed, and what this forward group is currently like.

Quote:
Naming D that will improve our offense but are worse than Carle seems kind of pointless.
Why do they have to be worse than Carle? My whole point is, wishing to have Carle back is pointless. The guy has a higher cap hit than Streit and wouldn't be an improvement. For one, the PP gets worse with him on it.

Carle doesn't improve the team's offense. He's just not good enough. Even Timonen isn't the sort of guy who elevates a team's offense; they can only work with what they have. The type of Dman who does that is the type of Dman who's much better than Carle.

Quote:
If he leads the team in TOI then he's a very valuable part of the team. I'm just illustrating the point that if he's good enough for a successful Tampa team, he's good enough for the Flyers. Splitting hairs over whether or not he's the #1 or important #2 is missing the point.
Last time he was here, he damaged offense overall. Hell, every regular dman including Coburn produced offense at a higher rate. He was completely ineffective on the PP, which is the last thing we need. Why do we need our PP getting worse?

So, I'm not really sure why anybody is so eager to have him back. He's not a solution of any sort. We need a #1 D, not Carle.

12-07-2013, 11:39 PM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

All I could think of looking at the Stars uniforms was "Starbucks".

OzFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Flying

Good: Nothing in this game, but trader joes beef tamales are really good.
Bad: The actual game
The Ugly: Rinaldo being a rational thinker and not at all making a dumb decision, truly one of the most level headed and responsible players we have on the team

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:15 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
"Eh. I have nine others."

--Kimmologic
Ronnie Lott logic.

If you don't know, he injured his finger in the 1985 season playing for the 49ers. Surgery would not have allowed him to come back for the start of the '86 season, so he had part of the finger amputated.

12-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Ryker

Damn, we got blitzed. Their first line was dominant, and I never knew Benn was that good.

I don't mind Mez as the sixth defenseman, he's been quite decent in his last two games, and I don't mean just the goal and his sweet rolling.

But yeah, what the hell was that Rinaldo thing?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Ronnie Lott logic.

If you don't know, he injured his finger in the 1985 season playing for the 49ers. Surgery would not have allowed him to come back for the start of the '86 season, so he had part of the finger amputated.
Yeah, pretty awesome.

Virginia Tech linesman Greg Nosal had part of his finger torn off in a game back in 2010. The trainer wanted to send him and his finger-chunk to the hospital immediately. Nosal thought that was inconvenient, what with the game going on, so he had the trainer put it on ice so he could finish the game. He did.

I was at the game. There was an official's timeout while they searched the field for something. At the time we assumed someone had a tooth knocked out...it was because they had to find the fingertip.

His quote afterwards, paraphrased: "I guess it's a big deal when you lose a finger."

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:59 AM
dats81

This team is all pretenders.
They have a tendency to take a lot of stupid penalties and not stick to whatever the system or game plan is.

Once they were hitting rock bottom they decided to buy in what chief was preaching and started to turn it around but now they come out light-headed and undisciplined again and as soon as they hit a little adversity it's getting ugly again. They played the same crap against the Wings but were lucky to get away with two points because somehow they were finding the back of the net.

And Berube will not hold anybody accountable. Rinaldo will not be scratched.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 09:19 AM
MP92

Im ready to move on from Rinaldo. Put him on waivers, send him down, just get him out of here. I like his skating, his hitting, his hustle, but he's resorted back to his old undisciplined ways. He took what looked like a good step forward and this year he's taken that step back. He's not nearly a good enough player, even for a 4th liner, to keep giving him chances to redeem himself. He's not a Lappy or Arron Asham. I think he's always going to be a loose cannon and he hasn't won over enough refs to say it's worth keeping him.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Garbage Goal

I've soured on Rinaldo pretty quickly after that game.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:48 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I have soured on everyone this season except Couturier, Read, Downie, Hall, coburn and mason. I really don't know what to do to fix this team. There are two huge holes, one at defense and the other is a scoring winger but I dont know where to start

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Flyerfan4life

i still wanna know what caused that Zac attack...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Curufinwe

When Hartnell made an outstanding effort to get the puck and pass it to Giroux and then G ringed it off the crossbar, the game was as good as over.

He must have hit 10 posts already this season.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
When Hartnell made an outstanding effort to get the puck and pass it to Giroux and then G ringed it off the crossbar, the game was as good as over.

He must have hit 10 posts already this season.
Yeah, Giroux needs to improve his shooting, can't keep missing like that. It's not just him, though.

Old
12-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, Giroux needs to improve his shooting, can't keep missing like that. It's not just him, though.
they should comeback to what they were dong last year Giroux carrying the puck and Voracek shooting

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I don't get how Giroux is at fault for hitting posts. That's simply bad luck.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't get how Giroux is at fault for hitting posts. That's simply bad luck.
What do you mean it's bad luck when a player consistently misses the target? Is it then bad luck Raffl is shooting wide all the time, as well? Giroux just isn't accurate enough, there's no bad luck in those posts. I think it's pretty clear where the goal opening and everything else outside of it are.

Old
12-08-2013, 03:38 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Their first line did what they are supposed to do.

Ours, well ...

But Giroux promised they'll reach the plays-offs.

To score some goals will help.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 05:51 PM
kolankosf

If Giroux flattens that curve in his stick by a millimeter or two, those pucks will be bar down

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
What do you mean it's bad luck when a player consistently misses the target? Is it then bad luck Raffl is shooting wide all the time, as well? Giroux just isn't accurate enough, there's no bad luck in those posts. I think it's pretty clear where the goal opening and everything else outside of it are.
Big difference between missing the net and hitting the post.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:00 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Im ready to move on from Rinaldo. Put him on waivers, send him down, just get him out of here. I like his skating, his hitting, his hustle, but he's resorted back to his old undisciplined ways. He took what looked like a good step forward and this year he's taken that step back. He's not nearly a good enough player, even for a 4th liner, to keep giving him chances to redeem himself. He's not a Lappy or Arron Asham. I think he's always going to be a loose cannon and he hasn't won over enough refs to say it's worth keeping him.
He seems to have regressed a bit since Lavi (his champion) was let go....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote