HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drafting Europian Style Risky Or Not ?

Old
01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
habitforming

vCash: 500
Drafting Europian Style Risky Or Not ?

Before I set anyone off, I for one am really high on all our draft picks and young guys on the farm, their potential and future ones showing what they can do.

Now the Habs have drafted very good quality players over the last few years and most of them are turning out well.

However, there is a very large pool that are not north american and I am wondering the chemistry of the team on how it will look down the line. I understand that a good number may not even put on a hab jersey as they may be involved in a trade or they simply do not meet growth expectations. The Lats draft up front is certainly an exception as to the forwards that the habs have drafted, which was really nice to see.

But I think there is a valid discussion as to should we be concerned that there aren't enough North American prospects in our system or even on the big club? IMO instead of a good mix of north american and european players, there just appears to be more of a lean of the european way of building. Do we have a strategy of putting more scouts abroad than over here? Or is it just the way it has developed over the last few years?

Could we be falling in a European system that obviously did not benefit the Senators those years were they excelled as a team and as individuals during the season and year after year were (are) picked as cup contenders, but when it came down to the actual playoff season, those players ie: Alfredsson, Havlat, Chara, Hossa etc. simply didn't perform at the big show when it was needed most and to be frank just disappeared completely when counted upon.

and yes I do know we have some real good North American prospects also, however, the heralded ones and even the make up of our current Habs line up leaves an impression on me that I thought would be something interesting to bring up whether it is something to be concerned about or maybe not as just because the Senators didn't have any success, doesn't mean that we'll experience the same thing . . . .

Last edited by habitforming: 01-06-2007 at 01:24 PM.
habitforming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 01:28 PM
SOLR

Its obvious Timmins spotted that fact and is now correcting it. We have drafted much less europeens in the last few years. If you look at our first choices and 2nd choices(really the important choice in terms of preselecting your team composition) you will see that the main core is north american.

Price
Fischer
Maxwell
Carle
Chipchura
Latendresse

Good thread and good question, and my opinion is: problem fixed!

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 01:37 PM
znk

The sens not going far in the playoffs was caused by a canadian goalie one year.

Anyway...It never stopped Detroit from wining. I think you need a good mix.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
kernkraft

Speaking of which, I think we should definitely try to get Mikhail Stefanovich next draft; why not 4 Belarussians?

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2007, 01:46 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Before I set anyone off, I for one am really high on all our draft picks and young guys on the farm, their potential and future ones showing what they can do.

Now the Habs have drafted very good quality players over the last few years and most of them are turning out well.

However, there is a very large pool that are not north american and I am wondering the chemistry of the team on how it will look down the line. I understand that a good number may not even put on a hab jersey as they may be involved in a trade or they simply do not meet growth expectations. The Lats draft up front is certainly an exception as to the forwards that the habs have drafted, which was really nice to see.

But I think there is a valid discussion as to should we be concerned that there aren't enough North American prospects in our system or even on the big club? IMO instead of a good mix of north american and european players, there just appears to be more of a lean of the europian way of building. Do we have a strategy of putting more scouts abroad than over here? Or is it just the way it has developed over the last few years?

Could we be falling in a European system that obviously did not benefit the Senators those years were they excelled during the season and year after year were (are) cup contenders, but when it came down to the playoff season, those players ie: Alfredsson, Havlat, Chara, Hossa etc. simply didn't perform at the big show when it was needed most.

and yes I do know we have some real good North American prospects also, However, the heralded ones and even the make up of our current Habs line up leaves an impression on me that I thought would be something interesting to bring up . . . .
Well, right now, coming from the Habs system on the current roster:

N-A: Higgins, Ryder, Rivet, Komisarek, Bouillon, Guillaume Latendresse

Euros: Koivu, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Streit, Markov

Pretty much even... and if you add Lapierre and Grabovsky, it's still even.

On the Bulldogs:

N-A: Kyle Chipchura, Yann Danis, Matt D'Agostini, Jonathan Ferland, Michael Lambert, Corey Locke, Duncan Milroy, Andrew Archer, Jean-Philippe Côté, Ryan O'Byrne, (Maxime Lapierre)

Euros: Jaroslav Halak, Andrei Kostitsyn, (Mikhail Grabovsky)

In the Habs system:

N-A: Carey Price, David Fisher, Mathieu Aubin, Mathieu Carle, Ben Maxwell, Ryan White, Loic Lacasse

Euros: Siarhei Kostitsyn, Pavel Valentenko, Alexei Emelin, Juraj Mikus, Chris Heino-Lindberg, Oskari Korpikari, Konstantin Korneev

They're not all there, but still, I did my best to list 'em. All in all, I think we have a pretty good N-A/Euros in our system. I don't think we'll end up having a "European style" team.

On the current roster, it seems that we mostly have Europeans since we sign them as UFA or trade for them:

N-A: Johnson, Murray, Downey, Dandeneault, Bégin (I could always include Bouillon, but since we got him back from waivers... well anyways, he began with us and is still with us, so I won't include him)

Euros: Aebischer, Huet, Niinimaa, Kovalev, Samsonov, Bonk

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote