HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago and General Sports Thread XXII - Cubs/Sox/Bulls/TEAM USA

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2013, 05:21 PM
  #876
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,884
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Every Big Ten team makes more money off the Big Ten Network than Notre Dame makes off their national deal with NBC, or at least that was the case as of a few years ago. The huge amount of money that schools get with that contract is essentially the sole reason why Maryland decided to join over fan opposition.
But that's just their football deal, you're not accounting for what they're getting from the ACC at all here.

TV wise, ND adds nothing to BTN because they're not adding any new markets if they come in. Maryland and Rutgers are being added so BTN can penetrate in New York, DC, and Baltimore. That's the only reason they picked those 2 schools.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
  #877
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Why would ND join any conference, huge tv contract and they keep their bowl money. They'd have to be really bad for a long time to lose both.
I don't believe their TV deal brings in as much as you'd think, when compared to the current conference TV deals. They also haven't made many BCS bowls which is where the real money is.

Ace Rothstein is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 05:24 PM
  #878
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 25,867
vCash: 1
Fair enough, but note I never said that they were going to join, just that I hope they never join.

__________________

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 05:44 PM
  #879
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,809
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Fair enough, but note I never said that they were going to join, just that I hope they never join.
The feeling is mutual.

MurrayBannerman is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 08:23 PM
  #880
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 25,867
vCash: 1
Big Ten (& future Big Ten) and Chicagoland bowl games:

12/26 - Poinsettia Bowl - NIU vs Utah State
12/27 - Military Bowl - Maryland vs Marshall
12/27 - Texas Bowl - Minnesota vs Syracuse
12/28 - Pinstripe Bowl - Notre Dame vs Rutgers
12/28 - Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl - Michigan vs Kansas State
1/1 - Gator Bowl - Nebraska vs Georgia
1/1 - Capitol One Bowl - Wisconsin vs South Carolina
1/1 - Outback Bowl - Iowa vs LSU
1/1 - Rose Bowl - Michigan State vs Stanford
1/3 - Orange Bowl - Ohio State vs Clemson

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 08:26 PM
  #881
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,418
vCash: 50
Think I'm going to go to the Chick Fil A Bowl - Texas A&M vs Duke. Never been to a bowl game before, and it's on NYE. Tickets should be reasonable. Don't think either of those teams travel that well...

RayP is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 08:28 PM
  #882
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 25,867
vCash: 1
Well, at least Duke probably won't. Maybe TAMU fans might not as well due to disappointment, though I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 08:30 PM
  #883
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,418
vCash: 50
Tickets starting on StubHub at $50, which isn't too bad. It's also on NYE, and after a disappointing season like A&M had, you want to go all the way to Atlanta for a bowl game on NYE vs Duke? I don't think I would, if I were them.


I'd even be fine paying $50 a ticket. Better than going out to some overcrowded bar on NYE anyway.

RayP is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 08:36 PM
  #884
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 12,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Tickets starting on StubHub at $50, which isn't too bad. It's also on NYE, and after a disappointing season like A&M had, you want to go all the way to Atlanta for a bowl game on NYE vs Duke? I don't think I would, if I were them.


I'd even be fine paying $50 a ticket. Better than going out to some overcrowded bar on NYE anyway.
You should definitely go for that man. That's a pretty decent deal and it would be a pretty cool experience. Plus you get to see Manziel.

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 08:39 PM
  #885
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,418
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
You should definitely go for that man. That's a pretty decent deal and it would be a pretty cool experience. Plus you get to see Manziel.
Yeah, Manziel was the clincher for me. He might be a massive dbag, but I like him anyway. Next Bears starting QB! , or maybe not.


Normally I get offered a ticket from someone who gets them through work that doesn't want to go, but I'm sure this will be the year that doesn't happen, of course.

RayP is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 09:13 PM
  #886
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,746
vCash: 500
personally, I'm not sure manziel will be very good in the NFL. Though, if the bears draft him in the second or later(doubtful), i wouldn't be opposed. really don't like his attitude/personality though.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 09:19 PM
  #887
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,418
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
personally, I'm not sure manziel will be very good in the NFL. Though, if the bears draft him in the second or later(doubtful), i wouldn't be opposed. really don't like his attitude/personality though.

I think it will really depend where he winds up. I think he definitely needs some offensive weapons around him to work with, more specifically, a good WR and TE. I think he could get by without a decent RB, with his running ability. I think the attitude/personality thing is overblown, and not as big as an issue as one might think. He could be a star in the NFL, or hated by his teammates and out of the league before you know it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see who grooms him, and how much he matures.


I'm not going to say there is no way he slips to the 2nd round, because the NFL draft can get really whacky, but I'd expect him to be picked before we even make our first round selection. No way he lasts until the 2nd round, let alone our second round pick, IMO.

RayP is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 09:49 PM
  #888
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I think it will really depend where he winds up. I think he definitely needs some offensive weapons around him to work with, more specifically, a good WR and TE. I think he could get by without a decent RB, with his running ability. I think the attitude/personality thing is overblown, and not as big as an issue as one might think. He could be a star in the NFL, or hated by his teammates and out of the league before you know it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see who grooms him, and how much he matures.


I'm not going to say there is no way he slips to the 2nd round, because the NFL draft can get really whacky, but I'd expect him to be picked before we even make our first round selection. No way he lasts until the 2nd round, let alone our second round pick, IMO.
I don't think his attitude is overblown at all. This is a guy who got buttsore that he got ticketed for parking on the wrong side of the street then went on twitter and bashed his own college town. I think he's an immature crybaby who's had everything handed to him his whole life. IMO, he has a lot of maturing to do before he'll get any respect in the NFL.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
  #889
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,418
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
I don't think his attitude is overblown at all. This is a guy who got buttsore that he got ticketed for parking on the wrong side of the street then went on twitter and bashed his own college town. I think he's an immature crybaby who's had everything handed to him his whole life. IMO, he has a lot of maturing to do before he'll get any respect in the NFL.
We'll see. I definitely think he would be best served with another year in college, but doubt he sticks around.


And plenty of athletes Tweet dumb things like that, I'd hardly start with using that incident against him. Can't say I know what has or has been handed to him in life, from a football level, so can't comment on that part.

RayP is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 09:54 PM
  #890
Gootie
Thug of the Year
 
Gootie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chiraq
Country: United States
Posts: 25,491
vCash: 1868
I don't think his size and scrambling/sandbox play will translate very well to the NFL.

Gootie is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 09:56 PM
  #891
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 12,459
vCash: 500
I think he could work in the right system, but that system would definitely have to be built around his strengths, standing in the pocket not being one of them.

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 10:01 PM
  #892
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56,418
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I think he could work in the right system, but that system would definitely have to be built around his strengths, standing in the pocket not being one of them.
Cleveland would be an interesting fit.

RayP is offline  
Old
12-08-2013, 10:09 PM
  #893
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,884
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
I don't think his size and scrambling/sandbox play will translate very well to the NFL.
I agree. Just don't see him being a very good NFL quarterback.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 10:16 PM
  #894
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 12,459
vCash: 500
I'm on board pretty much with the rest of you, although I will say this---he has a chance at a Russell Wilson career arc if he is put in the right spot and can get his act together.

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
12-08-2013, 10:48 PM
  #895
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,525
vCash: 500
Speaking of TAMU, how about Mike Evans? That guy is an absolute boss. College football has so many good receivers. Evans, DGB, Cooper, and Watkins are just four of many.

Cullksinikers is online now  
Old
12-09-2013, 09:39 AM
  #896
Hawkman
Moderator
Muddy Waters
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Retired managers Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Bobby Cox have been unanimously elected to the baseball Hall of Fame by the expansion era committee.

Each of the inductees won more than 2,000 games in managerial careers that spanned more than four decades. Torre became the fifth manager to win at least four World Series titles. La Russa won championships with Oakland and St. Louis. Cox led Atlanta to one championship and 14 straight division titles.

The announcement was made Monday at the winter meetings. They will be inducted July 27 in Cooperstown, N.Y., along with any players chosen by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine, 300-game winners, are among the newcomers to the writers' ballot, with results announced Jan. 8.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...cted-hall-fame

__________________

__________________________________________________ _____________
You damn right, I've got the blues, From my head down to my shoes
Last year OV was -35 despite scoring 24 PP goals. His poor D and never making the Conference Finals make him a Top 10 winger all time. ;
Hawkman is offline  
Old
12-09-2013, 09:41 AM
  #897
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 12,459
vCash: 500
Swansea v. Hull City today at 2:00. I love early/mid week Premier League games (no auto-correct there).

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
12-09-2013, 09:44 AM
  #898
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,884
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Swansea v. Hull City today at 2:00. I love early/mid week Premier League games (no auto-correct there).
They're called matches


/eurosnob douches

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
12-09-2013, 09:56 AM
  #899
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 12,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
They're called matches


/eurosnob douches
Haha, I am actually friends with a couple guys from Europe (mainly England) and they use both terms. There is definitely that type of snobbery out there though.

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
12-09-2013, 10:02 AM
  #900
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,670
vCash: 500
There's an absolute grind of games coming up, will be interesting to see where everyone shakes out after the start of January.

Illinihockey is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.