HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Gustafsson (2012-13 season and beyond)

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 03:11 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

vCash: 500
It looks like Gus has cemented his place in next years lineup for sure. Another year of watching and playing with Kimmo will do him much better then being with the Phantoms!

Old
04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Gus has been pretty good recently and is getting crazy ice time, obviously due to some major injuries. with the current state of the defense barring a major change this offseason i think it's pretty clear he's in the top 6 next season. being as though he's an RFA and his ELC was 900k per, what do you guys think he'll be re-signed for?
I would guess between 1.5 and 1.8 .

Old
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I would guess between 1.5 and 1.8 .
I'm not sure he'll get much of a raise. I wouldn't be shocked to see him come back at close to $975k-$1.05.

He's been impressive this year--and I think he could easily score a bigger deal after a true breakout season, but I'm not sure he's done enough to leverage that kind of money as an RFA.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:55 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I'm not sure he'll get much of a raise. I wouldn't be shocked to see him come back at close to $975k-$1.05.

He's been impressive this year--and I think he could easily score a bigger deal after a true breakout season, but I'm not sure he's done enough to leverage that kind of money as an RFA.
i tend to agree, though only because of his pedigree so to speak. if he performed as well as he has this year, in the final year of his ELC and was a former 1st, 2nd or even 3rd round pick i would think he'd get 1.75+. i think the fact that he's already 24 yo and was a college free agent signing works against him.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

I agree. He has yer to even play a full season. He is a RFA. Squeeze a bridge contract of 2 years 1.1 mill. I say this thinking that he will still be a RFA after 2 more years.

Side note: Crazy that the NYI have only 2 D-men making more than 1.5 mill and we are looking up at them!!

Old
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I agree. He has yer to even play a full season. He is a RFA. Squeeze a bridge contract of 2 years 1.1 mill. I say this thinking that he will still be a RFA after 2 more years.

Side note: Crazy that the NYI have only 2 D-men making more than 1.5 mill and we are looking up at them!!
The Flyers spend an exorbitant amount of money on defense compared to other NHL teams, for a result that doesn't match the price.

04-26-2013, 10:03 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
One player who has really had an impact as his ice time has ballooned because of injuries to other is second-year defenseman Erik Gustafsson.

He advanced to the first-unit power play once Kimmo Timonen was shut down with a foot injury.

“It’s a great opportunity for me,” Gustafsson said. “I was nervous at the start. I have been watching Kimmo all year and last year. Just keep it simple and move the puck. I hope to grow with the opportunity.”

Gustafsson played five games as Timonen’s partner this month.

“I have learned a ton from Kimmo,” Gustafsson said. “I can’t even tell you. Just the poise, the smarts. The positioning. You don’t have to panic. You take it easy. You don’t ever throw the puck away. You try to hit it or take a step and fire it off the glass. Kimmo’s smarts is where you pick up on things.”

Laviolette could not be more pleased with Gustafsson’s development at the end here.

“Gus is approaching 25 minutes,” Laviolette said. “Just an example. He gets another opportunity, another crack at big minutes. He did an outstanding job.”

Gustafsson had a strong game against Boston with a new partner: Andreas Lilja.

“What was impressive was that Gus had to stand on his own [against Boston],” Laviolette said. “I thought Lilja came in and did a terrific job for us. When you are playing with Kimmo on a consistent basis, there is a simplicity to the game that makes it a little bit easier.”
source: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...h-inexperience

the bold above makes me especially happy. i firmly believe Gus will be in the Flyers top 6 next year barring major changes due in no small part to Kimmo's influence. Gus has shown glimpses of NHL caliber skill in the past but he has greatly improved this season.

Old
11-24-2013, 11:44 AM
FlyersFan61290

I think he's playing very well overall. He's tied with Kimmo for 3rd in scoring among d-men with 5 pts. Grossmann has 6pts and Streit has 7 so he's not far behind anyone. He also has played about half the number of games as all those guys as well as averages the least minutes (just over 17 minutes a game). He does get some pp time whereas Grossmann doesn't but it's considerably less then Streit and Kimmo.

The Flyers need re-sign him, he provides a lot for next to nothing.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:46 PM
RJ8812*

Gus has been alright. Which is good. He's going to make mistakes, but that's fine with me. Young players go through growing pains, so it's all apart of the process. As long as Berube keeps him on the line-up over Mez and Gill, I'm fine with how things have progressed this season so far

Old
12-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Ryker

So what would Gustafsson ideally turn into if he reaches his potential? Eric Gelinas?

Old
12-08-2013, 08:07 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
So what would Gustafsson ideally turn into if he reaches his potential? Eric Gelinas?
what? we don't even know what Eric Gelinas is truly going to be, he's only 22.

gus's full potential would probably a Marek Zidlicky of some sort

Old
12-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
what? we don't even know what Eric Gelinas is truly going to be, he's only 22.

gus's full potential would probably a Marek Zidlicky of some sort
No, I meant what Eric Gelinas is now.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:14 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
No, I meant what Eric Gelinas is now.
my point is that we don't know what eric gelinas is now, he's only played 23 NHL games. can't really use someone like that as a ceiling.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Ryker

Quote:
my point is that we don't know what eric gelinas is now, he's only played 23 NHL games. can't really use someone like that as a ceiling.
OK, I meant a generic player with no defining characteristic whatsoever other than the fact that he has played the way Eric Gelinas has played in his 23 games in the NHL, if the latter's play was to be projected into the future of that player as being perfectly representative of his level of play.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:33 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
OK, I meant a generic player with no defining characteristic whatsoever other than the fact that he has played the way Eric Gelinas has played in his 23 games in the NHL, if the latter's play was to be projected into the future of that player as being perfectly representative of his level of play.
Wait a second, so you're projecting a player who is 24 years old with 45 NHL games under his belt to play like a 22 year old with 23 games played?

Old
12-08-2013, 08:35 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
why are you overcomplicating choosing the player to compare him to, literally just pick someone that has more than a quarter of a season's worth of NHL experience. there are tons of defensemen out there, i have no clue why you chose eric gelinas at all. thats like asking us if ben scrivens ceiling is robin lehner, it makes no sense.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Wait a second, so you're projecting a player who is 24 years old with 45 NHL games under his belt to play like a 22 year old with 23 games played?
No, to play like someone with however many games played you want at the level of play a certain 22-year old with 23 games played has shown in these games.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Ryker

Quote:
why are you overcomplicating choosing the player to compare him to, literally just pick someone that has more than a quarter of a season's worth of NHL experience. there are tons of defensemen out there, i have no clue why you chose eric gelinas at all. thats like asking us if ben scrivens ceiling is robin lehner, it makes no sense.
OK, but why is it so hard for you guys to abstract the level of play? I really don't get it. The only reason I chose Gelinas is because whenever I see him play I think to myself whether this isn't what we are hoping to get from Gustafsson. And I don't know who else's current play I'd compare him to.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:44 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
OK, but why is it so hard for you guys to abstract the level of play? I really don't get it. The only reason I chose Gelinas is because whenever I see him play I think to myself whether this isn't what we are hoping to get from Gustafsson. And I don't know who else's current play I'd compare him to.
why do we have to abstract level of play in a ridiculously small sample size for a "whats this players ceiling" scenario? from this post it looks like you're wondering if gus's development should be going like eric's, which is an entirely different question. when you ask about a player's full potential, you're projecting that player against another in which there is a consensus of their average level of play over a sizable amount of NHL experience. there is really no other way to explain it.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:57 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I don't understand the continued infatuation with Gustafsson. He's like Marc-Andre Bergeron except without the offense, so essentially useless.

He's nothing more than a fringe nhl defenseman who may become an OK 6th defenseman by league standard who could chip in on the 2nd pp unit if your defense is thin.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:45 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't understand the continued infatuation with Gustafsson. He's like Marc-Andre Bergeron except without the offense, so essentially useless.

He's nothing more than a fringe nhl defenseman who may become an OK 6th defenseman by league standard who could chip in on the 2nd pp unit if your defense is thin.
The bold is simply not true. MAB was more physical and had a decent shot but that's it. He had virtually no offensive game. MAB has 7 points in 45 NHL games and 37 points in 142 AHL games. Gus has 18 points in 75 NHL games and 95 pts in 144 AHL games. Gus also showed something last yr that MAB never did and that was that he could be counted on to play lots of minutes, and not just easy minutes. He avged 20 a night last yr and down the stretch with all the injuries he was consistantly playing 23 minutes a game. Advanced stats will show that even this year he's faced like the 4th hardest competition and has succeed more often then not. He's currently tied w/ Kimmo for the +/- lead and has the best ppg numbers of all our d-men

Old
12-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Gustafsson moves the puck well, skates well, has a clue how to play defense, has proven he knows how to play defense at every stage, is young, and above all else is wicked cheap.

It's a shame our coaching staff has decided to give him the Bartulis treatment in favor of our favorite four million dollar tire fire, because it only reaffirms the belief that coaching and management alike know exactly ****-all about developing defensemen.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
The bold is simply not true. MAB was more physical and had a decent shot but that's it. He had virtually no offensive game. MAB has 7 points in 45 NHL games and 37 points in 142 AHL games. Gus has 18 points in 75 NHL games and 95 pts in 144 AHL games. Gus also showed something last yr that MAB never did and that was that he could be counted on to play lots of minutes, and not just easy minutes. He avged 20 a night last yr and down the stretch with all the injuries he was consistantly playing 23 minutes a game. Advanced stats will show that even this year he's faced like the 4th hardest competition and has succeed more often then not. He's currently tied w/ Kimmo for the +/- lead and has the best ppg numbers of all our d-men
Bergeron. Not Bourdon.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:56 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Bergeron. Not Bourdon.
Oh ****, my bad. Kinda went on a rant for no reason.

Well that last part still stands I suppose.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Gustafsson moves the puck well, skates well, has a clue how to play defense, has proven he knows how to play defense at every stage, is young, and above all else is wicked cheap.

It's a shame our coaching staff has decided to give him the Bartulis treatment in favor of our favorite four million dollar tire fire, because it only reaffirms the belief that coaching and management alike know exactly ****-all about developing defensemen.
Yep.

Closed Thread