HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Has the emergence of Eric Gelinas and Jon Merrill in NJ made Larsson expendable ?

Old
12-08-2013, 08:22 PM
njdevil26

vCash: 500
I want Yakupov for Larsson. I think it's the perfect trade. Both of them from the same draft, similar number picks, developing slowly. Edmonton has way too many young talented forwards and the Devils have enough promising D coming up through the system. Sure there's Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini, Helgeson.... but when was the last time a d group for a team was made up of six similar aged young prospects? One or two of these D prospects is getting traded. I don't even want those six to be the entire D corps. Lou has to work the trade line and the UFA route and get a vet D or two to play with four of those young guys. They need leadership...

Larsson for Yak.

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
I want Yakupov for Larsson. I think it's the perfect trade. Both of them from the same draft, similar number picks, developing slowly. Edmonton has way too many young talented forwards and the Devils have enough promising D coming up through the system. Sure there's Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini, Helgeson.... but when was the last time a d group for a team was made up of six similar aged young prospects? One or two of these D prospects is getting traded. I don't even want those six to be the entire D corps. Lou has to work the trade line and the UFA route and get a vet D or two to play with four of those young guys. They need leadership...

Larsson for Yak.
How would your average Devils fan like taking on a Russian? In no way do I think Yak bolts back to mother Russia but it may be a tough sell to some fans.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

what most Devils fans don't seem to realize is, all we have to offer is these young DMen. they all complain about having no good young forward prospects but then they dont want to give anything up to get one.

I would be fine with trading any of the DMen actually for the right return. you can't keep them all, its not realistic.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:32 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
How would your average Devils fan like taking on a Russian? In no way do I think Yak bolts back to mother Russia but it may be a tough sell to some fans.
I welcome any Russian player. I'm more fond of Loktionov than most Devils fans... Kovalchuk or not, the Devils have been much friendlier to Russian players compared to other teams in the league. Starikov, Kasatonov, Fetisov, Brylin, Larionov, Mogilny, Kozlov, Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Loktionov, Ponikarovsky and Vishnevsky (Ukrainian), Kamensky, Malakhov, Nemchinov, Sharifijanov, Suglobov, Vasyunov (RIP), Zharkov, Zyuzin (Had to look at a list admittedly)

Yakupov has been talked about as a good teammate and a nice kid. He has shown his dedication to the North American game by playing his most important developmental years here. He is playing on a team with a ton of guys his age, a recent losing culture, and not too much leadership... especially Russian leadership. I think Lou would be very happy to take another young Russian and try to develop him. I would welcome him gladly.

Old
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

BUT in no way shape or form should the Devils trade Larsson for Yak. none.

Last edited by Zajacs Bowl Cut: 12-08-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
what most Devils fans don't seem to realize is, all we have to offer is these young DMen. they all complain about having no good young forward prospects but then they dont want to give anything up to get one.

I would be fine with trading any of the DMen actually for the right return. you can't keep them all, its not realistic.
Agreed. Honestly watching Merrill and Gelinas play every night (holy crap Gelinas is awesome) makes me more willing to trade Larsson.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:34 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
BUT in no way shape or form should the Devils trade Larssonf or Yak. none.
I simply disagree. Put him in a tight organization like NJ in a locker room with leadership provided by Jagr, Elias, Greene, Zubrus, Salvador, Volchenkov & Loktionov (Russian friends!), Ryder, Clowe... The Devils ARE veteran leadership. Also under the watchful eye of Lou.... I think he would be fine here.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i'd much rather trade severson than larsson.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:39 PM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i'd much rather trade severson than larsson.
That's fine too. I just mean Larsson if we are trying to get Yakupov in return.

Old
12-08-2013, 08:44 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
What? He is 21 and doing fine in the NHL calling Sven a 2nd/3rd line tweener at best is a joke.

I think we would have to add but calling Sven a 3rd/2nd liner tweener would be like me calling Larrson a potential #4 defenseman.
He has less goals than Cam Janssen right now, is getting poor ice time on a bad team, and seems to have trouble producing at Even Strength. He doesn't play on the PK, a huge chunk of his production is on special teams, he's a minus player, and ranks in the bottom half of total point production amongst Flames players with 10+ games played. His shooting percentage has also regressed significantly from last year.

Advanced stats reveal he has an poor Corsi despite getting very sheltered minutes, both in terms of zone starts and quality of competition. His Corsi numbers are comparable to guys like Jeremy Welsh and Tim Kennedy. This suggests he's not good at puck possession or generating shots.

So yeah. He's a developing player and it's not expected that he light the world on fire as a 21 year old. He'll get better, of course. But I'm curious as to why you think calling him a 2nd/3rd liner is so outrageous? He doesn't score enough to be called a 2nd liner, and doesn't have enough utility to be a role player.

I'd like him on the Devils because our forward prospects are anemic, but certainly not at the price of Larsson. I fail to see what Flames fans see in this kid. I see a decent 2nd liner when in his prime, not much more.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:46 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
considering your history with Russian wingers, I think you should not do it
don't really care where he's from, we just need a young star forward

Old
12-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Some people are smart enough to realize that Kovalchuk and Yakupov are two different people. There are plenty of things to not like about Yakupov without throwing the KHL into it.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:54 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
He has less goals than Cam Janssen right now, is getting poor ice time on a bad team, and seems to have trouble producing at Even Strength. He doesn't play on the PK, a huge chunk of his production is on special teams, he's a minus player, and ranks in the bottom half of total point production amongst Flames players with 10+ games played. His shooting percentage has also regressed significantly from last year.

Advanced stats reveal he has an poor Corsi despite getting very sheltered minutes, both in terms of zone starts and quality of competition. His Corsi numbers are comparable to guys like Jeremy Welsh and Tim Kennedy. This suggests he's not good at puck possession or generating shots.

So yeah. He's a developing player and it's not expected that he light the world on fire as a 21 year old. He'll get better, of course. But I'm curious as to why you think calling him a 2nd/3rd liner is so outrageous? He doesn't score enough to be called a 2nd liner, and doesn't have enough utility to be a role player.

I'd like him on the Devils because our forward prospects are anemic, but certainly not at the price of Larsson. I fail to see what Flames fans see in this kid. I see a decent 2nd liner when in his prime, not much more.
He has struggled this year but with inconsistent goaltending his +- will tell you very little. I fail to see how bad 20ish games means has regressed from his potential top line forward to a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Larsson has equally has struggled and yet I am not foolish enough to believe that he has fallen in his potential.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Brewster

Yak for Larsson. Fair for both sides.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:57 PM
hobgoblin933

I'm extremely apprehensive about trading for Yakupov, regardless of how different he is than Kovalchuk.

I'm definitely receptive to moving Larsson for a forward of equal value.

hobgoblin933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Yak for Larsson. Fair for both sides.
no thanks.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Larsson has been a disappointment to date, that's a fact. You can draft shut down dman in the 2nd and 3rd round. I'd expect more of a player drafted at 4th overall. Brodin looks like a superior player all around and I'd take Hamilton over Larsson to. From 2012, Rielly, Trouba and Lindholm also all look much better as well.

Larsson's value has diminished somewhat, the Devils would be wise to make a move from an area of strength to fill a hole. Yak for Larsson for would be a homerun for NJ.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Larsson had been playing lights out with Gelinas until he got hurt last week.

Old
12-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
That's fine too. I just mean Larsson if we are trying to get Yakupov in return.
that's fine, but i don't think making moves like larsson for yakupov is the right way to go about it. would much rather do severson for a similar forward. someone projected to be a top 6 player but hasn't entered the league yet or is just breaking in. tampa has a few of these guys, so does dallas, so does florida, detroit, and several other teams.

not saying any of those teams would particularly be looking for a player like severson, but that is what i would want to do as option 1 if i were lou.

along with, of course, getting a healthy number of picks and b-level prospects out of jagr, ryder, zidlicky, fayne, and brunner if we can flip him for anything.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:19 PM
RSeen

Quote:

Larsson for Yak.
Done. We will not be a contender until we add at least an elite forward. Yak has the potential to be just that.

RSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 10:22 PM
kovultrick

nichushkin would be great

we could have had him too

kovultrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Bill Waters*

vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus View Post
Yakupov for Larsson straight up
i love you Canadian Jebus

Bill Waters* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 10:29 PM
aemoreira1981

I'm going to say no. Instead, I think that this should make Fayne or Volchenkov expendable---the Devils still have a compliance buyout remaining (they used one on Johan Hedberg); I would not be surprised if Salvador or Volchenkov were complianced.

That said, if Top 6 talent could be had for Larsson and possibly a 1st, I would be open to that. The Devils need offense.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 10:29 PM
hockeystick89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22PePe22 View Post
I don't think this is just a good streak for Gelinas in his NHL debut... Kid is a stud, solid on D, good hands, heavy shot.

Severson and Santini in the pipe. Devils certainly have the chips on Defense to move one for a young forward.
In junior Gelinas always stuck out to me more than some of his more heralded teammates. Even then he played a very mature and efficient game, kinda similar to another former Devil in Paul Martin. I think he's got a little more offense in him though. Great pick by the Devils.

hockeystick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovultrick View Post
nichushkin would be great

we could have had him too
assuming we get cory signed, that trade was easily worth it. it's just a shame it had to happen at a time when we're so strapped for both picks and forward prospects.