HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Dick's Sporting Goods stores expanding NHL merchandise offerings with NHL Super Shops

Old
12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
hisgirlfriday

vCash: 500
Dick's Sporting Goods stores expanding NHL merchandise offerings with NHL Super Shops

This particular article is Blackhawks-centric but it mentions Dick's plans to set up similar displays in all the NHL markets where they have stores.

Quote:
NHL opens Blackhawks Super Shop
December 06, 2013

The Lombard location of Dick's Sporting Goods is home to one of three new NHL stores nationwide, part of a new deal between the league and the Pittsburgh-based sporting goods chain to capitalize on the most hockey-crazed U.S. markets.

The NHL Super Shop, which launched late last month, is a 400-square-foot area within the store selling official Hawks apparel and merchandise.

The league and Dick's set up similar shops in Pittsburgh and West Nyack, N.Y., for the Penguins and Rangers, hoping to cash in on its upcoming "Stadium Series" matchups — including the Hawks-Penguins game at Soldier Field.

The league and Dick's partnered with Columbus, Ohio-based design firm Big Red Rooster Inc. on the layout of the stores, which will be in action year-round but flexible in offerings based on team performance.

The long-term plan is to expand the concept to other Dick's stores in the Chicago area, as well as the 22 U.S. NHL markets in which the retailer has a presence

Last edited by Fugu: 12-08-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: copyright-- cant post entire articles
hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I seem to recall that they have some kind of sponsorship with the Penguins? So I expect they'll get one as well.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 06:39 PM
tony d
Pug

Good to see, anything to help increase the NHL's image in the US.

12-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I seem to recall that they have some kind of sponsorship with the Penguins? So I expect they'll get one as well.
Ya, with the Penguins and the Colorado Avalanche actually. Dicks Sporting Goods has over 500 locations in 42 states. This is a good deal for them & for the NHL certainly. Nothing new really, sometimes these things work out & other times not so much. Roots for example had at one time "mini boutiques" in major department stores, 300-500 sq ft of floor space with merchandise specific to that city as well as their regular lines. This being a sporting goods store to begin with and the NHL a major sport Id expect it to fair better than the Roots experiment ever did.... with respect to Chicago though, when I think Black Hawks & jerseys, equipment etc, I just naturally think Gunzo's. If I lived in Chicago & wanted a Black Hawks jersey or cap or whatever, absolutely have to make a trip out of it & go to Gunzos though. World famous. The original from the 06 era & still going strong.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 09:35 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Yep, that's exactly what the article says.

I used to work right near the Lombard store. Might have to trek out there at some point and check it out to see what it'll look like.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Sounds awesome.. We have several Dicks stores in NJ but Moddell's is still the go-to for Devils stuff in a local store (aside from the team store at the arena).. Though really, Fanatics.com offers the best selection of stuff and if you follow them on Facebook you can get discounts and free shipping pretty much every week.. A store is only better if you need the item immediately

Last edited by Colin226: 12-08-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:03 PM
NJDevils7

Nice. Always interesting to see what teams are carried by Dick's, Modell's, ect. in the tri-state area. The one near me has a ton of Rangers gear, minimal Islanders gear, and no Devils gear. I wonder if this will change that.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...sporting-goods

Only three locations: "suburban NY"; Cranberry, PA; and Chicago

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote