HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MLB Discussion Thread Part III: Jeter announces retirement after 2014

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
good news. if the yankees get tanaka that would give them a five of cc, nova, pineda, tanaka and hughes right? thats a solid group
Hughes signed with the Twins. Did you mean Kuroda?

Old
12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Thank god. He was one of the main culprits of the Yankees disappointing draft and development record.

Old
12-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Lundsanity30

Mr. Tanaka, this awaits you...

Old
12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Mr. Tanaka, this awaits you..
Yeah, but it might be coming from any number of teams. If a bidding war erupts for him he could land with the Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox, Giants, or any number of teams.

Old
12-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Lundsanity30

IMO, he would have to go for less money then.

Yankees had made it clear from the get go, he is THE guy they have wanted all off season, even before the off season started.

Old
12-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Zil

Quote:
IMO, he would have to go for less money then.

Yankees had made it clear from the get go, he is THE guy they have wanted all off season, even before the off season started.
Why would he go to the Yankees for less money? With the new posting system he's essentially a free agent. Anybody bidding on him is presumably guaranteeing him a rotation spot and has plenty of cash to burn. It's not like the Yankees offer a rosier outlook than teams like the Dodgers or Red Sox. Unless Tanaka specifically wants to become a Yankee or the Yankees manage to put forward a sum of money that makes even LA take pause, where is New York's advantage in this?

Old
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:
yea thanks. i knew it wasnt hughes but i couldnt remember who the other pitcher was.

Old
12-08-2013, 05:05 PM
UAGoalieGuy

The Yankees are probably going to tell Tanaka's agent to tell them a dollar figure and its his.

Old
12-08-2013, 05:14 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Why would he go to the Yankees for less money? With the new posting system he's essentially a free agent. Anybody bidding on him is presumably guaranteeing him a rotation spot and has plenty of cash to burn. It's not like the Yankees offer a rosier outlook than teams like the Dodgers or Red Sox. Unless Tanaka specifically wants to become a Yankee or the Yankees manage to put forward a sum of money that makes even LA take pause, where is New York's advantage in this?
He meant less elsewhere as in Yanks would offer the most

Old
12-08-2013, 05:20 PM
NYRKING30

They really overpaid for Ellsbury/ Your gonna hate mccan in 3 years. Beltran was the best move. Yanks need to start developing their own again. This team could become a mess in a few years unless they wanna buy everyone again.

Old
12-08-2013, 06:57 PM
RangersHank*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
They really overpaid for Ellsbury/ Your gonna hate mccan in 3 years. Beltran was the best move. Yanks need to start developing their own again. This team could become a mess in a few years unless they wanna buy everyone again.

Lol ok

Old
12-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Lundsanity30

http://nypost.com/20...eat-luxury-tax/

Quote:
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Yankees have invested $314 million in players since the 2013 season ended and one key decision-maker said “we are certainly done with the big free agents this offseason.”

That means the Yankees are most likely to go the trade route rather than spend on Omar Infante or Stephen Drew, and have become more dubious that they will pursue Masahiro Tanaka, even if a posting system is finalized and Tanaka actually gets posted. When it comes to a starter, the Yankees likely will follow the path from a few years back when they bottom-fed for success with Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia, and see if they can unearth a veteran with some fuel left.
Quote:
Hal Steinbrenner has said for public consumption the $189 million is a goal, not a mandate. But, privately, Yankees officials have claimed it is much closer to a mandate.
IF true they might as well just sell all the top players they added, because it wont matter. The Yankees will not be a serious contender without one more top end SP.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Lundsanity30

Ken Davidoff ✔ @KenDavidoff
It sounds like we shouldn't expect any more Granderson-like moves from the #Mets this winter. http://*******/1bw9kSH

geez, the Mets are pathetic.

Old
12-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Zil

Quote:
Ken Davidoff ✔ @KenDavidoff
It sounds like we shouldn't expect any more Granderson-like moves from the #Mets this winter. http://*******/1bw9kSH

geez, the Mets are pathetic.
That reads worse than it really is. The outfield is now full and they have plenty of young pitching. Realistically, this means they're not going to give Stephen Drew a massive contract or spend a ton on a back end starter to fill Harvey's spot for a year. We'll see what Sandy can do in the trade market. He's done pretty well in the past.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
http://nypost.com/20...eat-luxury-tax/

IF true they might as well just sell all the top players they added, because it wont matter. The Yankees will not be a serious contender without one more top end SP.
They're not getting under 189. It's a near impossibility at this point. On top of that, this article is from the post, so needs to be read with a major grain of salt.

Personally, I'm done expecting them to be frugal. We heard all year they would be and.....that went poof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
And who cares. Will it stop the yankees from going out and getting more guys? Nope, it won't. They will gladly eat those contracts. Just like Pavano, Igawa, Burnett...want me to keep going?

I love all the fans of opposing teams saying these contracts are horrible. You're right, they are.....to any other team in the league. But not to the yankees. It's just money and they'll do as they've always done, squeeze what they can out of these overpaid "stars" and discard them when they're finished. They'll then buy up the next crop of guys. Wash, Rinse, Repeat, with some championships in there.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
That reads worse than it really is. The outfield is now full and they have plenty of young pitching. Realistically, this means they're not going to give Stephen Drew a massive contract or spend a ton on a back end starter to fill Harvey's spot for a year. We'll see what Sandy can do in the trade market. He's done pretty well in the past.
theyll look for a 1 or 2 yr contract guy like bartolo colon to eat innings and hopefully win 10-12 games. aroyo also is a guy i like. i would have no problem with either of them at the right price. and maybe even bring back the johan on a 1 year deal.

i still think one of noah or montero will be up in july.

they do have some cash to spend. problem is, they really think they can compete at 85 mil. if so, they are stupid and should sell the team already.

the outfield is set now. great defensively. wont hit much and were harv healthy, i would dare say in that ballpark, it might even work. but now, we need grandy and lagares to hit. i think lagares if he gets enough at bats will surprise. i like his overall game.

one things for sure, if we dump duda and/or ike, well be a pretty fast team. we have speed all over the lineup.

trading ike for something of value is a must now. i think sandy can get something for ike purely on his "potential". m,aybe package ike and a young arm for something of value like a real ss.and a reliever would certainly help since we have no one really.

ss must be addressed cause tejada is hot garbage. enough of him. he cant hit and cant get on base. let murph play 1st or keep him at second and let satin- who can hit and duda split time there even though im not a duda fan at all.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
According to multiple reports, longtime Major League starting pitcher Roy Halladay will announce his retirement on Monday.

Roy Halladay to announce his retirement this afternoon. News conference scheduled by Blue Jays.—
Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) December 09, 2013
A little shocked.

Old
12-09-2013, 11:58 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Still think it was very poor management by Seattle to hand Robinson Cano that contract. They have too many holes to fill and Cano does not fill them all. And if I am the Mariners, why has Cano not publicly spoken much about the great contract he just signed to? I haven't been on top of things the last couple days as I had been but I haven't seen any quotes or anything. It just screams regret on Cano's part. He didn't want to leave NY but he did for the money. All the best to him. You make your bed, now you have to sleep in it, in Seattle.

Old
12-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Still think it was very poor management by Seattle to hand Robinson Cano that contract. They have too many holes to fill and Cano does not fill them all. And if I am the Mariners, why has Cano not publicly spoken much about the great contract he just signed to? I haven't been on top of things the last couple days as I had been but I haven't seen any quotes or anything. It just screams regret on Cano's part. He didn't want to leave NY but he did for the money. All the best to him. You make your bed, now you have to sleep in it, in Seattle.
He would have been an idiot to turn down 65 million more than any other team was offering. His "bed" in Seattle will be nicer then almost anyones on the planet.

Regardless, he'll be traded in a few years with Seattle eating a ton of that money. I just hope it's not back to the yankees.

Old
12-09-2013, 12:48 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
The Cano contract won't even be terrible in a few years with the rise of inflation unless his play completely falls off the face of the planet.

Old
12-09-2013, 12:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The Mets SHOULDN'T make anymore Granderson-like moves. Next year is lost without Harvey and there's no attainable free agents left to sign, so it doesn't make sense to break the bank on somebody who isn't worth it.

Make a trade if necessary for a SS, and sign Arroyo for a solid price.

Old
12-09-2013, 01:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The Mets SHOULDN'T make anymore Granderson-like moves. Next year is lost without Harvey and there's no attainable free agents left to sign, so it doesn't make sense to break the bank on somebody who isn't worth it.

Make a trade if necessary for a SS, and sign Arroyo for a solid price.
That's absolutely correct. Who is left that's worth a big contract? No one that I can see. We shouldn't spend money just to spend money. If we make a trade for an infield piece and sign a decent arm, then next year's team will be competitive and we can look at 2015 as the year where we finally make our move.

It's just pain.
Old
12-09-2013, 01:19 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakawayy View Post
He would have been an idiot to turn down 65 million more than any other team was offering. His "bed" in Seattle will be nicer then almost anyones on the planet.

Regardless, he'll be traded in a few years with Seattle eating a ton of that money. I just hope it's not back to the yankees.
Again, poor management by Seattle.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Again, poor management by Seattle.
Is it though? While i don't think Robbie is the guy to put that kind of money into, they've been spurned the last couple FA years by big hitters. They wanted to make a splash and knew they'd have to pay to do so. they just signed a new 2 billion dollar TV deal.

I don't know that it's the greatest move for the long run, but it certainly put them on the map and in the eyes of baseball fans, many of whom nearly forgot they exist.

It's never a bad thing to see teams reinvest in top notch players. It's the teams like the Astros and for years the Pirates that cut salary so low just to make a buck that I have a problem with.

The Astros were on par with minor league teams last season. They had a payroll of 21 million. Yet they were rewarded with the highest profit of any major league team.

Seeing teams that make no effort to reinvest in their on field product is disgusting and quite frankly should have their teams taken from them. 21 million! The NHL Salary floor is 44 million! Think about that for a second.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakawayy View Post
Is it though? While i don't think Robbie is the guy to put that kind of money into, they've been spurned the last couple FA years by big hitters. They wanted to make a splash and knew they'd have to pay to do so. they just signed a new 2 billion dollar TV deal.

I don't know that it's the greatest move for the long run, but it certainly put them on the map and in the eyes of baseball fans, many of whom nearly forgot they exist.

It's never a bad thing to see teams reinvest in top notch players. It's the teams like the Astros and for years the Pirates that cut salary so low just to make a buck that I have a problem with.

The Astros were on par with minor league teams last season. They had a payroll of 21 million. Yet they were rewarded with the highest profit of any major league team.

Seeing teams that make no effort to reinvest in their on field product is disgusting and quite frankly should have their teams taken from them. 21 million! The NHL Salary floor is 44 million! Think about that for a second.
Crazy that an entire team's payroll can be less than the salary of one player.

Closed Thread