HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Has the emergence of Eric Gelinas and Jon Merrill in NJ made Larsson expendable ?

Old
12-09-2013, 12:17 AM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Honestly, the Devils should just keep all their young talented dmen and begin building their forward depth in the coning drafts.

It typically takes dmen longer to develop than forward so by the time their young dmen are ready to dominate the forwards they draft from here on out should be ready to carry the offensive load.

However, if you really want to move him I'd offer Simmonds and Laughton for him. I highly doubt that you'd get a better offer than that. Simmonds you know and Laughton is a former 1st rnd pick that projects as a very good middle 6 defensive forward with a bit of a scoring touch too.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:34 AM
kushh

Whats with these proposals?

Simmonds and Laughton?

Yaks? Really?

Orielly's worth two Larssons

Gallaghers a better player but Larsson MAY be worth more one day this is closest in thie thread

Gauthier, Biggs and Gardiner for just Larsson? wow what a fleecing and i dont value those 3 Leafs highly

Shinkaruk or Baertschi and a pick is bang on

and what the hell is Damon Severson going to get you other than a forward Damon Severson..

kushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Chet Donnelly
♥️♠️♦️♣️♥️♠️♦️♣️

Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill, Severson

That's a pretty good D prospect pool

Chet Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:41 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushh View Post
Whats with these proposals?

Simmonds and Laughton?

Yaks? Really?

Orielly's worth two Larssons

Gallaghers a better player but Larsson MAY be worth more one day this is closest in thie thread

Gauthier, Biggs and Gardiner for just Larsson? wow what a fleecing and i dont value those 3 Leafs highly

Shinkaruk or Baertschi and a pick is bang on

and what the hell is Damon Severson going to get you other than a forward Damon Severson..
I'm confused by your post. Are you saying that these offers are too much or too little for Larson?

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Eggtimer

I love Larson and hope he deVelops into a true top pairing dman BUT haven't seen anything yet to show he can be.
He has shown no real "wow did you see that play" moments at all since his rookie year ,save a few nice breakouts , broken up plays.

He does not have an elite shot, does not posses elite speed or skating ability , does not crush guys with huge open ice hits , more or less is average to above average at everything but not elite at anything .

If he plateaus at where he is at now, he will be a good #3-4 dman.
I was expecting the next Alex Pietrangelo or Yandle or OEL..not a Sami Salo

Still not going to give up on him yet as I think he is/was starting to gain confidence playing with Gelinas
The big hit he took from Subban couple years back hurt his confidence and eventually led him to being healthy scratches a few time after that... Deboer kinda messed with his development which sucks but I hope he is back on the upswing.

Still don't think he has the "it" that makes him an Allstar calibre player though.
Gelinas on the other hand........???? Kid has a rocket and getting better everyday and is starting to,open up the offence bit by bit each game.

I would be upset to see Larson traded , but if it landed someone like Yak, I'd be all for it.
I tHink Larson is and will be good - very good,but not elite ....ever.

Eggtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:24 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
I think the only way I would trade Larsson is if a very young player like Shinkaruk or Nichushkin + 1st would head our way.
In what bizarro world is Larsson worth Nichushkin and a 1st? Larsson is a good young defenseman who's turned it around after a mediocre 2nd season but have you looked at what Nichushkin is doing in Dallas? There's no way they make that trade straight across let alone add to it.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:50 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Once upon a time New Jersey had Niedermayer, Stevens and Daneyko, plus Brodeur. We all know how those teams did...not only did they win some games, it could be said that the team defined a style that has heavily influenced how the most successful teams in the league build their teams, especially in the present.

Now NJ is trying to rebuild a bit. But they have Gelinas, Merrill and Larsson, plus Schneider. That's a good start but none of these four guys are as good as the four above. I would think NJ would think maybe they need MORE D, at least one more top young guy before they can talk about contending in a couple years...let alone talking about as if they have too much D and need to trade some...

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:00 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Larsson for Brett Connolly + 2nd

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:55 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Once upon a time New Jersey had Niedermayer, Stevens and Daneyko, plus Brodeur. We all know how those teams did...not only did they win some games, it could be said that the team defined a style that has heavily influenced how the most successful teams in the league build their teams, especially in the present.

Now NJ is trying to rebuild a bit. But they have Gelinas, Merrill and Larsson, plus Schneider. That's a good start but none of these four guys are as good as the four above. I would think NJ would think maybe they need MORE D, at least one more top young guy before they can talk about contending in a couple years...let alone talking about as if they have too much D and need to trade some...
name me any recent Cup winner who had the equivalent of prime Brodeur, Stevens, Nieds and Dano while also having no offense

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovultrick View Post
nichushkin would be great

we could have had him too
yea then we don't have a goalie.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:26 AM
njdevil26

We have goalie of the month in the AHL Keith Kinkaid!

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
There is some serious crap here. Larsson wasn't drafted as a "defensive defenseman", come on now. At the time of the draft scouting reports described him as a potential two-way defenseman, and really, a lot of them were talking about skating and offensive upside as his main strengths. He was playing to PP unit at 16 in Sweden, and it was certainly one of his main accomplishments at the time.

The problem so far is that his offensive skills didn't really develop as expected, and quite frankly, his defensive game still leaves a lot to be desired. So right now, he's for sure nothing special yet but let's not forget the guy is barely 21... which makes him very far from his absolute potential.

And for this reason I'd be reluctant to trade him now. I see him as a part of the Devil future, with guys like Gelinas or Merrill. At worst, he should still be a very solid second liner and it's really the worst, as he certainly still have the potential to be a solid #2 down on the road.

Sykie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:04 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Yeah, unless the Devils get something great of value in return they're not moving Larsson.

12-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Devilsfan118

Moving Larsson for Yak would be an inexcusable mistake.

Thankfully Lou has more brains than that.

Devilsfan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan118 View Post

Agreed . Huge no

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:29 AM
MountainGoat
McDavid/Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post

have you seen our offense?

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykie View Post
There is some serious crap here. Larsson wasn't drafted as a "defensive defenseman", come on now. At the time of the draft scouting reports described him as a potential two-way defenseman, and really, a lot of them were talking about skating and offensive upside as his main strengths. He was playing to PP unit at 16 in Sweden, and it was certainly one of his main accomplishments at the time.

The problem so far is that his offensive skills didn't really develop as expected, and quite frankly, his defensive game still leaves a lot to be desired. So right now, he's for sure nothing special yet but let's not forget the guy is barely 21... which makes him very far from his absolute potential.

And for this reason I'd be reluctant to trade him now. I see him as a part of the Devil future, with guys like Gelinas or Merrill. At worst, he should still be a very solid second liner and it's really the worst, as he certainly still have the potential to be a solid #2 down on the road.
its quite evident that the Devils have been trying to get his defensive game honed first, which I have no problems with. Sure we all want to see him in a more offensive role but I think that will come in time.

Old
12-09-2013, 01:59 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Larsson has been a disappointment to date, that's a fact. You can draft shut down dman in the 2nd and 3rd round. I'd expect more of a player drafted at 4th overall. Brodin looks like a superior player all around and I'd take Hamilton over Larsson to. From 2012, Rielly, Trouba and Lindholm also all look much better as well.

Larsson's value has diminished somewhat, the Devils would be wise to make a move from an area of strength to fill a hole. Yak for Larsson for would be a homerun for NJ.
I bet you think Hedman is a bust too, don't you?

Larsson played in nearly 120 NHL games before his 21st birthday, yet somehow that's being held against him. It's only a matter of time before the points come, especially if he continues to be paired with Gelinas and he keeps feeding that big howitzer.

That's great that other players came in and looked nice in a vacuum. It must be nice for Dougie Hamilton to come into the NHL and get paired with a future Hall of Famer or for Brodin to play on the same team as Ryan Suter. Larsson is already anchoring his own pairing, MENTORING A ROOKIE OLDER THAN HE IS.

I'd much rather him polish his defensive skills now than have him focus on pure offense. He was 3rd on the Devils defense in terms of total ES minute played prior to his injury. He's a top-3 defenseman on one of the best defensive teams in the league right now, today, without much offense to speak of. Adam Larsson is one of the last things the Devils should be concerned with right now.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:17 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan118 View Post

How so, please, can you elaborate on your POV cause I actually think it would be a homerun of a deal if we were able to land such a stud forward... something we desperatly need moving forward with all the solid prospects we have on the backend.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Robert Theodorson

Of those four guys mentioned (Severson still in minors) I think it would be a travesty to trade away what could make up two solid pairings that could skate the next 10+ years in NJ.

The forward ranks can be rebuilt through trades not involving the defensive prospects. There could be a mass exodus of players at the TDL if the Devils are not in a playoff position. Some of the older forwards like Jagr, Zubrus, and Ryder will certainly be sought after and they serve no purpose to NJ in the long term.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:34 PM
GDDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
How so, please, can you elaborate on your POV cause I actually think it would be a homerun of a deal if we were able to land such a stud forward... something we desperatly need moving forward with all the solid prospects we have on the backend.
Yak is a purely offensive player struggling to put up points on an offensively gifted team. Larsson has played respectably well in his first few seasons, nothing glamorous but the pretty well for his age. Add that with the fact that it's much more likely to see a forwards full potential sooner than a defenseman. It turns into more of a risk for the Devils than it's worth. If he were traded it would be important to get an established top 6 forward. Even if that means adding pieces to do so.

GDDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
kovultrick

if i can bring it up here instead of starting a thread, what would it take devils to get mike cammalleri. if you see where im going with this it has little to do with larsson. will calgary resign him with an A on his sweater.

is there a deal to be had there trading him out of conference.

kovultrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:37 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Who trades 21 year old franchise Dman with NHL experience who has had success for anything less than an overpay?

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I bet you think Hedman is a bust too, don't you?

Larsson played in nearly 120 NHL games before his 21st birthday, yet somehow that's being held against him. It's only a matter of time before the points come, especially if he continues to be paired with Gelinas and he keeps feeding that big howitzer.

That's great that other players came in and looked nice in a vacuum. It must be nice for Dougie Hamilton to come into the NHL and get paired with a future Hall of Famer or for Brodin to play on the same team as Ryan Suter. Larsson is already anchoring his own pairing, MENTORING A ROOKIE OLDER THAN HE IS.

I'd much rather him polish his defensive skills now than have him focus on pure offense. He was 3rd on the Devils defense in terms of total ES minute played prior to his injury. He's a top-3 defenseman on one of the best defensive teams in the league right now, today, without much offense to speak of. Adam Larsson is one of the last things the Devils should be concerned with right now.
Please quote me where I used the word bust? I said disappointment, and yes I would say Hedman and Larsson have both been disappointments considering where they were drafted. I would expect more of a player drafted in the top 5 to become more than a shutdown dman without a doubt. Make any argument you want, but Hamilton has clearly shown more, and Brodin, well he's just been spectacular and he looks like he's following a path of OEL. If Larsson ends up being just an elite shutdown dman, that is a disappointment no matter which way you try and justify it.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

based on what has Hamilton shown more?