HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dec 28 at Edmonton: Downie (UBI) and Hall (flu) both skated and are expected to play

Old
12-09-2013, 09:22 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
He's 33. Free agents get signed all the time that are his age and older. He was no more likely than any other player on the team to suffer a back injury.
He's been injured pretty regularly in the last few years though. That was one of the question marks raised when they signed him...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
See my edit. Those injuries were from being hit by pucks. Unless you think he has some kind of bone disease that's not a pattern.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
See my edit. Those injuries were from being hit by pucks. Unless you think he has some kind of bone disease that's not a pattern.
He had a foot injury that I'm aware off that was puck related with Tampa..didn't he have others that were not puck related?

Anyway, age is a factor with injuries regardless. Pronger's eye injury was freak but before that he definitely was breaking down. He had back surgery, knee surgery and a wrist issue. He even said he wasn't used to being injured like he was starting to experience...it was frustrating for him.

I've seen this script before...and it's just the Flyers luck anyway. We get players late in their careers and they start breaking down like Forsberg..

Old
12-09-2013, 10:10 AM
SuchySays

it's time for Brayden Schenn to step up.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

McGinn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Downie
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds

Please? Hartnell needs to be done on that first line, just keep him on the first PP unit.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:29 AM
FlyingPhilly

^ That third line would be hot potato with the puck all game. Which of those three can handle the puck? The short, long, and correct answer is none of them.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:35 AM
FlyersFan61290

I wish someone other then McGinn would get the call. We know what he brings and it's not good enough.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Our farm team is still kind of sad....wish the Flyers focused more on it the way Detroit and NJ do.

Detroit had that Tatar dude develop for a good while before being brought up. They know how to develop and have players ready at the right time...

Old
12-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
^ That third line would be hot potato with the puck all game. Which of those three can handle the puck? The short, long, and correct answer is none of them.
You're right it's scary just thinking about it.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:54 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

dont mind the Mcginn call up.
he has shown he can score some goals at the NHL level. never should of been sent down in the first place.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
it's time for Brayden Schenn to step up.
I feel like this gets said often and never pans out.

On topic, TB fans did warn us this would happen.

12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Garbage Goal

This is kind of a sad statement in itself, but Lecavalier was probably our second best player in the offensive zone after Giroux. You could argue Schenn instead of Lecavalier, but it's close.

So for those that were already disgusted with our top six...yeah.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:19 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
This is kind of a sad statement in itself, but Lecavalier was probably our second best player in the offensive zone after Giroux. You could argue Schenn instead of Lecavalier, but it's close.

So for those that were already disgusted with our top six...yeah.
You really think so? I don't think Read is anything to sniff at. Couturier, while not scoring, also has shown me a lot in the offensive zone lately with his ability to fight off defenders and possess the puck.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You really think so? I don't think Read is anything to sniff at. Couturier, while not scoring, also has shown me a lot in the offensive zone lately with his ability to fight off defenders and possess the puck.
I meant in terms of our top six which I forgot to write down in that post apparently. Lecavalier or Schenn are definitely the best guys in our top six after Giroux.

Aside from that though, Read and Couturier have much less offensive ceiling as far as this season goes then Lecavalier. Lecavalier is already fully developed while Couturier is still figuring things out and Read is never going to be more then a 60 P player at his max probably. It's just that that line is full of synergy and has the ability to dictate play on the ice while the top six is the complete opposite of that as far as lines go.

Old
12-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I feel like this gets said often and never pans out.

On topic, TB fans did warn us this would happen.
Yup, they knew that because he missed games last season after being hit in the foot by a hard shot from Sammi Salo that this season he would suffer a major back injury. Real psychics down there.

Old
12-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
dont mind the Mcginn call up.
he has shown he can score some goals at the NHL level. never should of been sent down in the first place.
Welllll he's shown that at a 40% shooting rate...that's going to be plummeting quite a bit.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Welllll he's shown that at a 40% shooting rate...that's going to be plummeting quite a bit.
Very true. I don't particularly like McGinn and think someone else should be called up (a more skilled player, maybe Akeson), but at least he seems to be able to finish the easy chances and tap-ins. And that's something a lot of the regulars, including Couturier, Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Couturier etc. have failed to do this season. But those guys can create plays, so having someone like McGinn on, say, Giroux's line again could, I think, turn out to be quite good in terms of offense. If he's paired up with Schenn and Simmonds, though, then it's probably best not to expect offensive production from that line.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Didn't Giroux and Akeson have chemistry immediately last season?

Why do they never call that guy up?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Ryker

Quote:

That's my recollection, as well. They might just be calling McGinn up, since they went with him this season already, so he's a "proven" quantity, and they don't want to just mix it up all the time. I'd still prefer guys like Akeson or Straka to be called up, but it might be I just like them more rather than that they'd actually bring more to the table. I'm not really following the Phantoms, so I'm kind of clueless on them other than being able to look up their stats.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Curufinwe

Cause they hate us. That makes sense as much as anything else I can think of.

I will now write down some lines the Flyers will never try because they actually think playing Rosehill and Rinaldo as regular 4th liners makes sense.

Hartnell-Giroux-Akeson
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Downie
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo (but only after being threatened with being waived if he ever does something that stupid again)

Old
12-09-2013, 02:10 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:

akeson was called up while hartnell was out, no? i agree, akeson would be a good fit on our first line but otherwise calling him up might be a waste.

at any rate we can expect vinny to be out for a while. we might see a couple of different call-ups.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Akeson isn't really all that good of a prospect relatively speaking across the league and IIRC he isn't having a good season, but he's probably at the top of the list as far as our forwards and goal scoring ability goes so it is odd that the guy never gets a shot. Now or in the past.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Akeson is a version of Tim Tookey of the 80's and 90's

Old
12-09-2013, 03:40 PM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

I wonder how long until Chris VandeVelde gets a shot at the big team as he was one of the last cut from camp and leads the Phantoms with 7 goals.

OzFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Akeson isn't really all that good of a prospect relatively speaking across the league and IIRC he isn't having a good season, but he's probably at the top of the list as far as our forwards and goal scoring ability goes so it is odd that the guy never gets a shot. Now or in the past.
17 points in 23 games to lead the phantoms. All he does is put up points. Here are some quotes from Murray earlier this year pertaining to Akeson:

Quote:
"He's very imaginative," Murray said. "He has a very creative mind and he sees the ice in a different way than most players. He's a player who wants the puck on his stick and he's the one who says, 'If we're going to have some success here tonight, let it come from me.' His creativity is pretty special and a lot of players in the game don't have it."

Murray said he is confident that with relentless work ethic and consistency, Akeson has a chance at being successful in the NHL this season.

"I'm hoping that by the end of this year he's going to be a player that's considered to get an opportunity. Not just a call-up in an emergency situation but a player who's going to get called up because of the way he plays," Murray said. "This is his opportunity now to show management that he's ready."
Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=687414

As far as the chemistry between Akeson and Giroux is concerned they only played one game together so I don't know if I'd call it chemistry but I know they are good buddies who train together during the offseason. I love to see him get a legit shot and it seems Murray agrees.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote