HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL makes 12-year/$5.2 billion Canadian TV deal w/ Sportsnet, CBC, TSN out - part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2013, 09:21 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't know why Rogers went that hard on Duthie, the guy was solid but really unremarkable. Ron Mclean in unsurpassed as a Host. I know he's getting old though, but he is the model by how this should be done. I especially enjoy the way he grills Bettman especially, he go at him like a respected newsman should do. That said, whether it's Sportsnet or anybody else, they should prepare a replacement for him at some point.

The real key guy to get at TSN was McKenzie but he's essentialy a rumour/league rules/ type of guy and Sportsnet can easily get Lebrun and they have Shannon already that sort of does this?

For National games' PBP, get Cuthbert.
But does Ron McLean really want to be the face of Rogers' NHL Hockey? I can see McLean being the game night host, possibly on all three nights, but I don't see him being there on a nightly basis, doing "panel hits" on Connected and other non-game programming.

As for a successor to McLean, I've always had the feeling that Friedman was being groomed for that.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:12 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
I am somewhat surprised it has not come up before, as I can't believe I am the only former Snet forum member here.

For a rough outline, Sportsnet used to have popular, well constructed internet forums. Three to four years ago users started encountering bugs in the forums (posts being lost while trying to post and an ever increasing frequency of being redirected to a "maintenance page" while trying to post or read a post).

While it was acknowledged that the forums were one of the biggest contributors to page hits for the Snet website and fixes were at times promised, no fixes ever came. Instead, after forumers dealt with the issues for a while, it was stated that the forums would be replaced with a new version.

Earlier this fall the new forums were launched. They weren't quite on par with a youtube comments section, were full of bugs and were far outclassed by vBulletin. I don't know the exact timeline, as I left Snet after I saw the new forum launch, but they now seem to have killed the forums altogether.

The tldr version: given the fact that this is a company that can't even manage to produce a working internet forum after years of effort, I have no faith that they will now suddenly produce a quality TV product.
Rogers is the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Handing them a MONOPOLY on NHL hockey for more than a decade is something the NHL will regret for a very long time.

Make no mistake, the NHL will be substantially less popular in Canada by the end of this contract.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Jussi

Does TSN still get to do the 2014 Draft? Jay Onrait mentioned something like that in the Jay And Dan Podcast #16.

Old
12-08-2013, 12:32 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Does TSN still get to do the 2014 Draft? Jay Onrait mentioned something like that in the Jay And Dan Podcast #16.
Yes, this is the last one they have rights to.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
Old
12-08-2013, 02:47 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post

Handing them a MONOPOLY on NHL hockey for more than a decade is something the NHL will regret for a very long time.

Make no mistake, the NHL will be substantially less popular in Canada by the end of this contract.
No, the NHL will not be substantially less popular at the end of this deal.

Old
12-08-2013, 02:59 PM
FakeKidPoker*

About Ron Maclean.. yeah I could see him only wanting to host game nights and special events.

While handing off regular panel duties (stuff a monkey could do) to Jeff Marek.. of former Hockey Night in Canada.

As for his age.. he is only 53... he could easily work until the end of this TV deal and well into the next if he wanted.. the guy makes close to a million a year though for on average.. working maybe 2 days a week (I don't know does he do radio often just going by TV.)

Funny, NHL with Rogers is pretty much going to be Hockey Night in Canada presented by Rogers.. I mean look at the talent.

Jeff Marek.. former HNIC reporter.
John Shannon former HNIC executive producer
Jim Hughson- Current lead HNIC announcer former Sportsnet lead announcer
Craig Simpson- Current lead HNIC colour, former Sportsnet lead colour

Those are guys who are just locks to be with them next year.

Then you have guys who are 99% in like Ron and Don.

Then people who I am sure will be sought after highly in Pierre Lebrun and Chris Cuthbert.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
But does Ron McLean really want to be the face of Rogers' NHL Hockey? I can see McLean being the game night host, possibly on all three nights, but I don't see him being there on a nightly basis, doing "panel hits" on Connected and other non-game programming.

As for a successor to McLean, I've always had the feeling that Friedman was being groomed for that.
Yea I meant as a style of Host, mainly. But I think McLean can still continue on Saturday nights wich is not a small show to put together. Saturdays will still be "the" night for hockey in Canada going further.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
{Mod} You slam Rogers for ruining the Jays and say this deal won't hurt hockey? Who are we kidding? This will hurt, because Rogers loves to destroy everything.

Last edited by Killion: 12-09-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: not reqd...
Old
12-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I agree. The NHL will probably not be less popular. Watching it on TV, in Canada, probably will be.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:58 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I agree. The NHL will probably not be less popular. Watching it on TV, in Canada, probably will be.
I don't think so...

Not with all the hockey night guys coming over.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:14 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
who knows eh, but i have a bad feeling you may be right. especially if they approach it in typical rogers style and make us pay for every little thing.

Hello, Rogers Digital Service.

Um yeah, hey, there is no sound on the hockey game.

Oh, you want sound as well as picture? You'll need to sign up for our exclusive premium sound package, I can help you with that.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:

You mean when we have 9 teams we will be less popular?

Make no mistake there is no chance of that happening.

And if a Canadian teams wins the Cup over those 12 years....you will see how much more room there is for even more popularity.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
You mean when we have 9 teams we will be less popular?

Make no mistake there is no chance of that happening.

And if a Canadian teams wins the Cup over those 12 years....you will see how much more room there is for even more popularity.
70 years ago hockey was not the most popular sport in Canada. And we don't know if Canada is getting another team yet.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:40 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
70 years ago hockey was not the most popular sport in Canada. And we don't know if Canada is getting another team yet.
What was the most popular sport? Do you have a source for that?

Old
12-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
70 years ago hockey was not the most popular sport in Canada.
Well, that would put us into the mid 1930's there MM. Hockey, Baseball & Boxing were the 3 most popular sports at that time in Canada. However in terms of sheer numbers from a spectator perspective, live, Hockey was #1, Football #2, though if we included Horse Racing those rankings would definitely change. I dont however think thoroughbred racing is something one can compare as a sport to hockey, baseball or football. The Toronto Maple Leaf Baseball Club was enormously popular by that time, had been for decades, eclipsed by hockey. In Toronto from the turn of the century, the Varsity Blues, OHA Junior & Senior, the Arenas etc. NHA & NHL. Same story in Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, Quebec, western Canada. Skating as well, either recreationally, speed skating, took off like a Rocket Canada-wide mid 1850's or so. Starr Skate Mfg out of Dartmouth.

Old
12-09-2013, 06:13 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, that would put us into the mid 1930's there MM. Hockey, Baseball & Boxing were the 3 most popular sports at that time in Canada. However in terms of sheer numbers from a spectator perspective, live, Hockey was #1, Football #2, though if we included Horse Racing those rankings would definitely change. I dont however think thoroughbred racing is something one can compare as a sport to hockey, baseball or football. The Toronto Maple Leaf Baseball Club was enormously popular by that time, had been for decades, eclipsed by hockey. In Toronto from the turn of the century, the Varsity Blues, OHA Junior & Senior, the Arenas etc. NHA & NHL. Same story in Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, Quebec, western Canada. Skating as well, either recreationally, speed skating, took off like a Rocket Canada-wide mid 1850's or so. Starr Skate Mfg out of Dartmouth.
Actually, 70 years is the early 40s -- the war years.

Old
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
who knows eh, but i have a bad feeling you may be right. especially if they approach it in typical rogers style and make us pay for every little thing.

Hello, Rogers Digital Service.

Um yeah, hey, there is no sound on the hockey game.

Oh, you want sound as well as picture? You'll need to sign up for our exclusive premium sound package, I can help you with that.
Not to mention that the production values on those channels will be so bad it will embarrass the league and its fans.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:52 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Not to mention that the production values on those channels will be so bad it will embarrass the league and its fans.
I don't see that happening, not with Rogers basically getting HNIC which is far and away the undisputed leader in production, nobody does it better.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Kyle McMahon

It is interesting that it was right around the time that TSN got the national rights back from Sportsnet that suddenly every Tom, Dick, and Harry considered themselves a hockey fan and had an opinion on the game. World Juniors ascended to the bizarre and astounding level of popularity they currently enjoy back then as well. It could all be a coincidence of course, I'm not going to say the NHL became for popular in Canada due to TSN, but it be completely dismissed either. It'll be interesting to see what happens with a 2nd-rate (in almost everyone's opinion) network now having blanket coverage rights.

Old
12-09-2013, 08:56 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
It is interesting that it was right around the time that TSN got the national rights back from Sportsnet that suddenly every Tom, Dick, and Harry considered themselves a hockey fan and had an opinion on the game. World Juniors ascended to the bizarre and astounding level of popularity they currently enjoy back then as well. It could all be a coincidence of course, I'm not going to say the NHL became for popular in Canada due to TSN, but it be completely dismissed either. It'll be interesting to see what happens with a 2nd-rate (in almost everyone's opinion) network now having blanket coverage rights.
Hockey always was and always will be popular with folks in rural areas and small towns.

But I think you're completely right. TSN made hockey 'cool' with young folks in cities. And they did it with their powerful hype machine. Like it or not, TSN sets the stage for the national discourse on sports.

Again, folks in rural communities and smaller towns will always like things like the NHL and CFL. Always have, always will.

But in the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver, where you have massive amounts of immigration and a plethora of entertainment options, the NHL can't simply rely on tradition. It needs to present itself as a desirable entertainment option; a world-class option on par with the other big leagues. And TSN was able to do that.

Sportsnet has never done that. Now that they have a monopoly, their coverage is only going to get worse.

This will be a turning point in the NHL's popularity in the bigger cities in Canada.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
This will be a turning point in the NHL's popularity in the bigger cities in Canada.
I'd actually welcome that. A less popular game could reduce the demand for tickets and normal people might one day be able to buy an NHL ticket without losing their shirt in the process. I'm also sick of coverage of other sports getting drowned out when it comes to media coverage, at least in my market (Edmonton), not sure how bad it is in other markets, but it is badly over-saturated when it comes to NHL coverage in my town.

Old
12-09-2013, 10:55 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
I can't help but think that a lot of the doom and gloom being prognosticated over the NHL going forward with this deal will be looked back at with the same humor, if even remembered at all, as all the folks that said that the NHL was inflicting irreparable harm to their brand with yet another lockout.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Tekneek

They aren't buying the current production capabilities of HNIC. They bought the responsibility for it, which is not really the same. They have to pay for it, make all the decisions regarding it, buy all of the equipment, operate the studio, etc. They can keep doing things the way they (Rogers) have been doing them for years, which will mean that HNIC will take several steps back in production quality. They may want to match/exceed current HNIC standards (although I wouldn't expect them to exceed).

The best anyone can reasonably hope for will be HNIC being as good next year as it is this year. Doubtful that Rogers will pour a lot of money into it. Why should they care particularly much? They paid a whole lot of money for exclusive control. If you want to watch hockey on TV, you've got to go to them. It doesn't matter if you like the way they present it or not.

In a way, this is the perfect marriage for the NHL. The sports league that doesn't give a damn about the fans with a company that doesn't care about them (or its customers) either, but the fan/customer base inexplicably keeps coming back for more. It shows how the "free market" doesn't necessarily reward those who treat their customers the best.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Coyotes' George Gosbee, Anthony LeBlanc ecstatic about TV deal

To quote:

"It was my second meeting. That means I didn't have to carry anyone else's bags, so I was happy about that," Gosbee said with a laugh. "They're always very informative. It was a hugely informative session. Not a lot of major decisions.

During their pursuit of the Coyotes, IceArizona predicted what their share from the TV contract would be but they didn't anticipate a deal of this magnitude."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...t-tv-deal.html

Old
12-11-2013, 02:20 PM
IcemanTBI

I can't stand Rogers after they screwed me on my cell bill. That is one company that doesnt care at all about their customer. Production values now will either stay the same, or get worse.. yet, you will be paying a higher price per month on your cable bill. I wont give them a cent. I'll use Netflix for my shows and *****.NET for my sports.

Closed Thread