HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sat., Dec. 7, 2013|Flyers 1 at Stars 5 (Timonen: skated Dec. 9 at OTT, will play)

Old
12-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Big difference between missing the net and hitting the post.
Oh, I thought the aim of shooting in hockey was to beat the goalie while putting the puck in the net, not just beating the goalie. My bad.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Curufinwe

Pretending that missing the net entirely and hitting the post exhibit the same amount of accuracy is one of the stupidest things I've seen on this board.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Garbage Goal

Not gonna participate in this argument, but it is interesting to know that a shot off the post or cross-bar does not count as a shot on goal. Or at least isn't supposed to on the stat sheet.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:36 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Well it's not a shot on net, as it doesn't require the goalie to make an actual save.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I believe it was Barasso who was once asked about having a lot of shots hit post in a game. His response was something like "you want me to stop the shots going wide?"

12-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Pretending that missing the net entirely and hitting the post exhibit the same amount of accuracy is one of the stupidest things I've seen on this board.
Both exhibit the same amount of accuracy in the sense that they are both inaccurate. There's an area of the net (i.e. the area that the goalie does not have covered) that counts as being the target. Anything wide of that is being inaccurate. Now you can of course argue that hitting the post is coming closer to the target, but it's still missing it. So my point here wasn't as much in comparing Giroux's shots to those of Raffl, but to show Giroux is inaccurate. Maybe I shouldn't have drawn Raffl into this, since it seems to have created some confusion.

In any case, Giroux's shots aren't accurate enough, it seems. But if people here would rather count posts and feel all giddy and good about them, by all means, go ahead.

Old
12-09-2013, 01:47 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Both exhibit the same amount of accuracy in the sense that they are both inaccurate. There's an area of the net (i.e. the area that the goalie does not have covered) that counts as being the target. Anything wide of that is being inaccurate. Now you can of course argue that hitting the post is coming closer to the target, but it's still missing it. So my point here wasn't as much in comparing Giroux's shots to those of Raffl, but to show Giroux is inaccurate. Maybe I shouldn't have drawn Raffl into this, since it seems to have created some confusion.

In any case, Giroux's shots aren't accurate enough, it seems. But if people here would rather count posts and feel all giddy and good about them, by all means, go ahead.
Except for you are comparing his shots to Raffl's. I know it's difficult understand in the black and white world that you live in, but hitting the post and not scoring comes down to luck a lot of the time. In a couple of weeks he could be going bar down every other game for all we know.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:34 PM
DrHamburg

Just like most games the Flyers lose, there are the same players who are preforming awful. Hartnell, Voracek, B. Schenn and Simmonds. These guys are being consistently put into position to succeed and are failing. Flyers are shorthanded way too often. Meszaros is terrible. To me I have never been all that impressed with Gus but he is clearly better than Mez.

Also, after watching the games ill jump on board. This team needs Bobby Ryan

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Except for you are comparing his shots to Raffl's. I know it's difficult understand in the black and white world that you live in, but hitting the post and not scoring comes down to luck a lot of the time. In a couple of weeks he could be going bar down every other game for all we know.
Yeah, for sure he could, but it still wouldn't be luck. When it's all said and done, it comes down to skill. If what you said indeed happens, then that'll mean the shots he's now banking off the posts were at the "bad" end of the distribution of his shots in general, and that he's more accurate than I seem to give him credit for. And I'll be wrong and he'll be able to have his stupid celebration like he just wrestled a mammoth barehanded after he scores But there's no bad luck in just barely missing, that's all I'm saying. I might just be extrapolating from a misrepresentative sample.

Also, let it be known that I think he's actually been playing great this season.