HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One last house call: Roy Halladay signs 1-day contract to retire as a Blue Jay

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
I'm not sure if it was posted near the end of the last thread but apparently the Jays are looking at adding Colon. At least their name is being attached to talking to him. Wouldn't be a bad one year signing. Not the best but decent at least. Also the Angels are shopping Trumbo apparently. Was looking up his stats and if memory serves correctly I believe he was 2 k's away from 200 on the season. Any interest in another JPA lol? Just kidding he hits a lot of hr's has moved to first base and although his ops was sub .300 he was still .075 points better than JPA. Could be an option if they did the not going to happen EE for Price swap. Actually looking at it more he could be an ideal alternate with Lind. His numbers are great against lefty pitching and bad against right handed pitching. OPS over .900 against lefties.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:18 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
I'm really surprised Roy has decided to hang it up. I thought he still a lot left in the tank at least as a top 5 starter some where. Would of been nice to play one last season for us.
If you watch his press conference on tsn his back is done it sounds like. I think it's a quality of life thing at this point along with wanting to spend time with his family.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:20 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Who is it being mentioned for?
What do you mean? I was just responding to another poster saying he wouldn't trade both of them. Not sure there is an active rumour but I worded as though there could be I guess.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Bluelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Bozak View Post
as I posted near the end of lat thread:

http://beta.thescore.com/mlb/news/377187
Lots of rumors:

An interesting piece of news gossip just popped up on Twitter, courtesy of ESPN’s Jason Stark. Apparently, the Pittsburgh Pirates have inquired about the availability of Blue Jays first baseman/designated hitter Adam Lind. http://jaysjournal.com/2013/12/04/ml...ays-adam-lind/

So when I hear, from Susan Slusser, that the Blue Jays are “infatuated” with one of Beane’s spare parts, Brett Anderson in this case, http://jaysjournal.com/2013/12/04/bl...ar-worth-risk/

According to Jeff Passan at Yahoo Sports the Toronto Blue Jays are one of a handful of clubs that are interested in pursuing the services of Tampa Bay Rays‘ LHP David Price and “believe they can put together the sort of package” according to Passan’s source. (this one involves Edwin Encarnacion) http://jaysjournal.com/2013/12/04/to...e-news-rumors/

According to Bruce Levine of WSCR 670 the Score in Chicago (h/t Bluebird Banter for sharing) a source has said that the Toronto Blue Jays are “putting together a package of young players” for Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija. http://jaysjournal.com/2013/11/23/ml...ff-samardzija/

As reported by Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Toronto Blue Jays have joined the Minnesota Twins on the Ricky Nolasco front. http://jaysjournal.com/2013/11/24/fr...ricky-nolasco/

Old
12-09-2013, 03:24 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I'm not sure if it was posted near the end of the last thread but apparently the Jays are looking at adding Colon. At least their name is being attached to talking to him. Wouldn't be a bad one year signing. Not the best but decent at least. Also the Angels are shopping Trumbo apparently. Was looking up his stats and if memory serves correctly I believe he was 2 k's away from 200 on the season. Any interest in another JPA lol? Just kidding he hits a lot of hr's has moved to first base and although his ops was sub .300 he was still .075 points better than JPA. Could be an option if they did the not going to happen EE for Price swap. Actually looking at it more he could be an ideal alternate with Lind. His numbers are great against lefty pitching and bad against right handed pitching. OPS over .900 against lefties.
I'd like Colon on a one year deal. He'd be a solid #4-5, but we'd still need to add another SP after him.

I'd be all for a Trumbo deal. Doesn't walk a lot and strikes out a lot, but his splits would go well with Lind at DH. He has been a consistent 2-2.5 WAR player which is good for a more depth player and he'd probably get even more HR in our division/ballpark.

Hell if we do trade Lind to the Pirates, Trumbo would be a good replacement for Lind on a cheaper deal.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
calcal798

Quote:
What do you mean? I was just responding to another poster saying he wouldn't trade both of them. Not sure there is an active rumour but I worded as though there could be I guess.
Sorry I was confused man, thought you heard a rumour saying that!

Old
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Tony Romo

i really would not want to trade EE, would much rather Joey Bats. If EE is traded we are relying on bats who has injury concerns recently to carry the power load.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:26 PM
calcal798

Ricky Romero for Logan Morrison

Old
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelines View Post
Lots of rumors:

An interesting piece of news gossip just popped up on Twitter, courtesy of ESPN’s Jason Stark. Apparently, the Pittsburgh Pirates have inquired about the availability of Blue Jays first baseman/designated hitter Adam Lind. http://jaysjournal.com/2013/12/04/ml...ays-adam-lind/

So when I hear, from Susan Slusser, that the Blue Jays are “infatuated” with one of Beane’s spare parts, Brett Anderson in this case, http://jaysjournal.com/2013/12/04/bl...ar-worth-risk/

According to Jeff Passan at Yahoo Sports the Toronto Blue Jays are one of a handful of clubs that are interested in pursuing the services of Tampa Bay Rays‘ LHP David Price and “believe they can put together the sort of package” according to Passan’s source. (this one involves Edwin Encarnacion) http://jaysjournal.com/2013/12/04/to...e-news-rumors/

According to Bruce Levine of WSCR 670 the Score in Chicago (h/t Bluebird Banter for sharing) a source has said that the Toronto Blue Jays are “putting together a package of young players” for Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija. http://jaysjournal.com/2013/11/23/ml...ff-samardzija/

As reported by Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Toronto Blue Jays have joined the Minnesota Twins on the Ricky Nolasco front. http://jaysjournal.com/2013/11/24/fr...ricky-nolasco/
Pretty much all of these have been discussed here and some are a couple of weeks old. For example, Nolasco has already signed with the Twins.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
mapes

Quote:
i really would not want to trade EE, would much rather Joey Bats. If EE is traded we are relying on bats who has injury concerns recently to carry the power load.
Other teams are probably cautious of him too though.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Tony Romo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Other teams are probably cautious of him too though.
yeah which sucks. let's hope a team gets desperate. would much rather keep EE around then bats

Old
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
habamillions

wouldn't mind colon for a year. butwwould still need another starter

Old
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
calcal798

Quote:
I'm hesitant to trade EE as well.

He is at the threshold of being a 4 WAR player and a 6+ WAR player that doesn't get injured often. If he could get his Batting Averages up to .300 then he would literally take a massive leap forward. Now why do I think this is possible? His BABIP of .247 this year was tied 3rd worst in the league among qualified batters. As this average is based on talent (which he has a ton of), defense and luck (which he hasnt had much of) I have a hunch that we might see a jump in this, at least back to his career level of .275 which would likely bring his BA up to .290 ish. If he can do that, hit 30+ HRs and walk 13% of the time I'd easily see him breaking that 6 WAR threshold.

Now imagine he did that in Tampa after we traded him for Price.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Tony Romo

Quote:
I'm hesitant to trade EE as well.

He is at the threshold of being a 4 WAR player and a 6+ WAR player that doesn't get injured often. If he could get his Batting Averages up to .300 then he would literally take a massive leap forward. Now why do I think this is possible? His BABIP of .247 this year was tied 3rd worst in the league among qualified batters. As this average is based on talent (which he has a ton of), defense and luck (which he hasnt had much of) I have a hunch that we might see a jump in this, at least back to his career level of .275 which would likely bring his BA up to .290 ish. If he can do that, hit 30+ HRs and walk 13% of the time I'd easily see him breaking that 6 WAR threshold.

Now imagine he did that in Tampa after we traded him for Price.
I can imagine EE going to Tampa and just killing everything and everyone in the AL East

Old
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
If you watch his press conference on tsn his back is done it sounds like. I think it's a quality of life thing at this point along with wanting to spend time with his family.
Watches snippets and aww what a nice guy. He looks good.

A true gentleman!

Old
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Tony Romo

Damien Cox suggesting frank thomas the best blue jay of all time

Old
12-09-2013, 04:22 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Hopefully he meant best player to wear a Jays uniform not including Roger Clemens.

If he meant that he may have had a reasonable argument.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:23 PM
topched

Quote:
He's up there as far as best player who wore a jays uniform during his career... Likely first ballot hofer.

Bu yeah that's like saying wade Boggs is the best devil ray

Old
12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Tony Romo

Quote:
Hopefully he meant best player to wear a Jays uniform not including Roger Clemens.

If he meant that he may have had a reasonable argument.
the arguement was best ever jay. earlier he said Roger Clemens was the best ever jay pitcher. Mccowan said he wasn't here long enough to consider clemens a jay.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:34 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Clemens was here longer than Thomas...

And if we're getting technical its Rickey Henderson anyways

Old
12-09-2013, 04:39 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Clemens was here longer than Thomas...

And if we're getting technical its Rickey Henderson anyways
Clemens also did Roids so I dunno if Id wanna support that argument

Old
12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
topched

Per Morosi:

@jonmorosi: Rangers, Blue Jays agreed on deal sending Sergio Santos to Texas but another player failed physical, sources tell @Ken_Rosenthal and me.
@jonmorosi: At that point, deal fell apart. This happened about 2 weeks ago. Sources say this was a 3-way deal.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Tony Romo

Sergio Santos was suppose to go to texas, player failed physical though.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Per Morosi:

@jonmorosi: Rangers, Blue Jays agreed on deal sending Sergio Santos to Texas but another player failed physical, sources tell @Ken_Rosenthal and me.
@jonmorosi: At that point, deal fell apart. This happened about 2 weeks ago. Sources say this was a 3-way deal.
Interesting.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:49 PM
SpezDispenser

I wonder who Santos was going for. Last season when he came back he was dominant, so I'd hope after being so patient with him it was for a good piece!

Although...I guess failing a physical is a bad sign....

Closed Thread