Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
SoCal hockey is a hot bed my goodness

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=695033

Great article and well written.

Bring on the SoCal movement

I also want Eetu Selanne BM keep a close eye on him after his Calgary Hitmen camp. The legends live on!!!!!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:55 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

As much as I like Teemu and as much as I think his sons are good guys...he didn't even make the Hitmen's roster for major JUNIOR hockey. How would he ever be good enough to make the cut into the NHL, then? I really feel like you are completely deluded and need to drink much less SoCal-koolaid.

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
As much as I like Teemu and as much as I think his sons are good guys...he didn't even make the Hitmen's roster for major JUNIOR hockey. How would he ever be good enough to make the cut into the NHL, then? I really feel like you are completely deluded and need to drink much less SoCal-koolaid.
Yaaaaaaa pretty much this.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Hot bed full of hot love.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Slow the poke. Hitmen wouldn't have reached out to him for no reason. He has a skillset. Let's determine it after camp.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:16 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Slow the poke. Hitmen wouldn't have reached out to him for no reason. He has a skillset. Let's determine it after camp.
I'm going to assume being the son of Teemu Selanne has it's perks, in the fact that some people will get focused on the surname.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 08:06 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

Quote:
It's called a PR stunt, something every more-or-less clever manager knows about and deals with from time to time. As much as I would like to see him having a pro career, all reports on him mark him as "nothing special" and an average player on a junior minor team. He might end up being drafted by the Ducks anyway, much like Brodeur drafted his own son in this year's Entry Draft, but he'll most likely have no business playing pro hockey at all, unless he might want to play in the ECHL or some European second-tier leagues like Germany's, Austria's, Italy's and so on.

Old
12-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Snoop Dogg
Custom User Title

vCash: 364
Quote:
It's called a PR stunt, something every more-or-less clever manager knows about and deals with from time to time. As much as I would like to see him having a pro career, all reports on him mark him as "nothing special" and an average player on a junior minor team. He might end up being drafted by the Ducks anyway, much like Brodeur drafted his own son in this year's Entry Draft, but he'll most likely have no business playing pro hockey at all, unless he might want to play in the ECHL or some European second-tier leagues like Germany's, Austria's, Italy's and so on.
No, the Ducks won't draft him. No chance. Anthony Brodeur was still a decent prospect playing at a pretty high level (Minnesota HS hockey compared to California HS hockey is like comparing the NHL to the 2nd tier (Oberliga) of German hockey).

Snoop Dogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

I'd say a "decent" prospect gets drafted in the 4th round at the latest, but that might just be semantics. I guess we can agree insofar as that neither are scheduled to ever become an NHL regular, right?

Old
12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Force951

vCash: 940
Quote:
I could be wrong but i believe it was him who reached out to the Hitmen, not the other way around.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
airforceones25

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 11:27 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Eetu Selanne is only 15 I think. He's a sophomore in high school. His stint with the Hitmen at their camp was a feeling out process. Eetu hasn't even decided if he wants to go the junior route since his dad wants him to play college hockey. Only the truly exceptional players play juniors that young.

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Ducks Ahoy
PP success loading..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Eetu Selanne is only 15 I think. He's a sophomore in high school. His stint with the Hitmen at their camp was a feeling out process. Eetu hasn't even decided if he wants to go the junior route since his dad wants him to play college hockey. Only the truly exceptional players play juniors that young.
Exactly. Look at Connor MacDavid. The kid is 16 playing for Erie. He and I were actually born 3 days apart

He's an exceptional player and has earned the right to be a junior player at such a young age.

Eetu may be a decent player, but I think a lot of his "hype" is from the name on the back of the jersey.

Ducks Ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:11 PM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

Quote:
He's 16, even though he just turned 16 last month.

Old
12-09-2013, 01:13 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
From what I understand from a video I saw from the hitmen and from friends who watch Santa Margarita High School says that his hands are good but he has little stamina. I also thought there was a comment about his work ethic too but I could be wrong.

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
From what I understand from a video I saw from the hitmen and from friends who watch Santa Margarita High School says that his hands are good but he has little stamina. I also thought there was a comment about his work ethic too but I could be wrong.
Saw the same thing.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

If the Samueli's can do for UCLA or USC for Terry Pegula did for Penn State then you will see a huge interest in So Cal high school hockey I think. There's so much talent here and if kids had a direct route to Division I hockey right in their own back yard I think more will pick that route rather than juniors. The growth has been amazing.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:59 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Do any colleges from the PAC-12 have D1 hockey? When I was in school they all only had club teams, if that. I believe they called the club league the "PAC-8" or "PAC-6" (this was when there were 10 teams for football etc).

It would be probably be hard to get that going if there aren't any nearby teams.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I'm pretty sure it's still club hockey, but there are 8 of them

http://www.pac8hockey.com/

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Do any colleges from the PAC-12 have D1 hockey? When I was in school they all only had club teams, if that. I believe they called the club league the "PAC-8" or "PAC-6" (this was when there were 10 teams for football etc).

It would be probably be hard to get that going if there aren't any nearby teams.
From what I can recollect. All PAC 12 is D3 unfortunately. Buddy on my team plays for USC and is D3

Old
12-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Paul4587

Last I heard Teemu's sons were playing at about a AA level of hockey. Can anyone more familiar with the league they play clarify it?

The older two both seem like longshots to even be drafted at this point.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Snoop Dogg
Custom User Title

vCash: 364
Quote:

I don't think so.

Snoop Dogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:

No. The NCAA won't approve D1 hockey out here. From what I've heard, USC wants to compete at that level(obviously not with the current players).

12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:

They don't. That's why I hope the Samueli's take a step in that direction to help bring D-I hockey to So Cal.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:29 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
They don't. That's why I hope the Samueli's take a step in that direction to help bring D-I hockey to So Cal.
Well if none of the other PAC-12 schools had teams, then it would be hard to get USC or UCLA in the D1. Because you would need a league to play in, and you want to limit travel. So they would almost have to fund a whole conference, not just 2 teams. Unless there is another NCAA conference nearby?

edit: looking at some maps on wikipedia, it seems like the closest state with D1 teams is Alaska and Colorado. But past that it's like Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. I supposed they could have a huge realignment.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote