SoCal hockey is a hot bed my goodness

Old
12-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Well if none of the other PAC-12 schools had teams, then it would be hard to get USC or UCLA in the D1. Because you would need a league to play in, and you want to limit travel. So they would almost have to fund a whole conference, not just 2 teams. Unless there is another NCAA conference nearby?

edit: looking at some maps on wikipedia, it seems like the closest state with D1 teams is Alaska and Colorado. But past that it's like Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. I supposed they could have a huge realignment.
According to http://achahockey.org/league.php?league_id=1059 Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado are D1 programs. But that's not the USCHA. I don't know what the difference is and don't care enough to research it though.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Ramenbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
If the Samueli's can do for UCLA or USC for Terry Pegula did for Penn State then you will see a huge interest in So Cal high school hockey I think. There's so much talent here and if kids had a direct route to Division I hockey right in their own back yard I think more will pick that route rather than juniors. The growth has been amazing.
Yeah I think the Samuelis are on that path. The Samuelis have done a lot so far, probably out of their own pocket to help hockey become more popular. We've seen California easily dominate other sports like baseball; no reason the same can't be said for hockey.

Ramenbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Well if none of the other PAC-12 schools had teams, then it would be hard to get USC or UCLA in the D1. Because you would need a league to play in, and you want to limit travel. So they would almost have to fund a whole conference, not just 2 teams. Unless there is another NCAA conference nearby?

edit: looking at some maps on wikipedia, it seems like the closest state with D1 teams is Alaska and Colorado. But past that it's like Nebraska, the Dakotas, and Minnesota. I supposed they could have a huge realignment.
They wouldn't be the only school with a major travel schedule. I assume they'd go into the new WCHA with the Alaskan teams.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:34 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:

The PAC-12 isn't relevant to any potential hockey teams. Until the Big Ten joined D-I hockey, none of the major NCAA conferences had anything to do with hockey. If anything we might need both UCLA and USC to join as a means of having at least a rival/local opponent. You have to start somewhere.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
According to http://achahockey.org/league.php?league_id=1059 Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado are D1 programs. But that's not the USCHA. I don't know what the difference is and don't care enough to research it though.
ACHA is a different animal than NCAA D1. I played for Cal's ACHA Division 2 team with UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, USC, San Jose State, and other teams for a few years during my attendance there.

The largest difference other than the skill level is that ACHA is club, and NCAA is sponsored by the school.

While ACHA is considered club hockey, the top end ACHA talent has, I would say equivalent skill to some NCAA Division 3 college programs. The Division you play in (1,2,3) is usually some factor of your team's prior winning history, as well as other surrounding schools in your Division.

In general, it is hard to bring NCAA-level talent to California or other Pacific schools in the North and it is hard for schools to justify sponsorship of another division 1 sport (since schools already operate on thin budgets as we know). Division 1 hockey in California, if to exist, would not until a minimum of 10+ years have passed.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

vCash: 864
It will probably take at least 20 years for a D-1 NCAA team out here. When it happens though, it'd probably be a private school.

Snoop Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:10 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

If Alabama-Huntsville can have a D1 team, anybody can!

TesseracT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:26 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
ACHA is a different animal than NCAA D1. I played for Cal's ACHA Division 2 team with UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, USC, San Jose State, and other teams for a few years during my attendance there.

The largest difference other than the skill level is that ACHA is club, and NCAA is sponsored by the school.

While ACHA is considered club hockey, the top end ACHA talent has, I would say equivalent skill to some NCAA Division 3 college programs. The Division you play in (1,2,3) is usually some factor of your team's prior winning history, as well as other surrounding schools in your Division.

In general, it is hard to bring NCAA-level talent to California or other Pacific schools in the North and it is hard for schools to justify sponsorship of another division 1 sport (since schools already operate on thin budgets as we know). Division 1 hockey in California, if to exist, would not until a minimum of 10+ years have passed.
One more potential issue would be title 9. So if they added NCAA hockey, they would also have to add (fund) some other women's sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
The PAC-12 isn't relevant to any potential hockey teams. Until the Big Ten joined D-I hockey, none of the major NCAA conferences had anything to do with hockey. If anything we might need both UCLA and USC to join as a means of having at least a rival/local opponent. You have to start somewhere.
I didn't mean the actual PAC-12. Just that at least some of those schools would be natural fits for a conference. You would prefer geographically close schools with similar status. Otherwise it would be a boatload of travel, which is expensive.

I wonder which would be more likely in California. D1 NCAA hockey or AAA level minor league hockey. They keep founding ECHL teams, but they keep folding. The same happens with AHL teams which move west (they don't even get to California).

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I'd say D1 NCAA hockey. The financial support is there. Colleges like UCLA and USC should have no problem drawing talent, once they commit to a D1 team.

12-09-2013, 07:05 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Quote:
One more potential issue would be title 9. So if they added NCAA hockey, they would also have to add (fund) some other women's sport.

I didn't mean the actual PAC-12. Just that at least some of those schools would be natural fits for a conference. You would prefer geographically close schools with similar status. Otherwise it would be a boatload of travel, which is expensive.

I wonder which would be more likely in California. D1 NCAA hockey or AAA level minor league hockey. They keep founding ECHL teams, but they keep folding. The same happens with AHL teams which move west (they don't even get to California).
Women's hockey could work if Men's hockey was supported. Former Junior Duck and Laguna Hills native Anne Pankowski made the US Olympic roster this year (first California trained player to play in the Winter Olympics). So the market certainly has enough talent from a women's perspective.

And @Sojourn, it would likely have to be UCLA / USC from a marketing perspective (heck, USC even has ice girls, lol). The rivalry plus gravitational pull from both teams would be monumental to starting D1 hockey in this area.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:45 PM
TesseracT
Manson's Carnage

I'm already imagining the possibilities of a Stadium Series with the college teams included. USC-UCLA would fill the stadium pretty good. So would USC-Notre Dame. A two-day, 4-team tournament would be great too. A UCLA-USC-Notre Dame-Boston College tourney would get great ratings on NBCS.

TesseracT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:56 AM
beenhereandthere

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
Women's hockey could work if Men's hockey was supported. Former Junior Duck and Laguna Hills native Anne Pankowski made the US Olympic roster this year (first California trained player to play in the Winter Olympics). So the market certainly has enough talent from a women's perspective.

And @Sojourn, it would likely have to be UCLA / USC from a marketing perspective (heck, USC even has ice girls, lol). The rivalry plus gravitational pull from both teams would be monumental to starting D1 hockey in this area.
Wasn't there a goalie on the 2006 Olympic Women's team from Huntington Beach? Angela Ruggerio did most of (not all of her training) in Simi Valley as well.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:37 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Any californian in next draft?

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Any californian in next draft?
Yup goaltender Thatcher Demko from San Diego, CA is considered to be one of the best goalie prospects in this years draft. Currently in the prelims right now for USA WJC as we speak. And there might be others as well. I will research more and see who else I can find.

Edit: Another LA Selects product boy am
I not surprised

(C) Chase De Leo is also available born in La Mirada, CA - De Leo has been labeled an 'A' prospect by Central Scouting. He's already played two seasons in the WHL, and last season produced 18 goals and 38 assists for 56 points in 71 games.

Last edited by Ducksgo*: 12-18-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote