HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Stewart + Berglund for top 6 center

Old
12-09-2013, 02:51 PM
ExJbeck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
Stewart can't play his normal game when he is compensating for Morrow and Roy's lack of offensive ability. Plain and simple. You can't put just ANY linemates next to a good player and expect that good player to continue producing at the same rate. Stewart had lots of goals last season while playing with players such as Steen and Backes or Perron and Berglund.
Go Home http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...aysprune=&f=32

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
Stewart can't play his normal game when he is compensating for Morrow and Roy's lack of offensive ability. Plain and simple. You can't put just ANY linemates next to a good player and expect that good player to continue producing at the same rate. Stewart had lots of goals last season while playing with players such as Steen and Backes or Perron and Berglund.
I was never talking about his point totals. I was talking about him not playing the way that makes him successful. You're right that he can't control his line mates. But he sure as hell can control the type of game he plays. He's not a perimeter player and yet that's the way he's playing this year.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:53 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
One of Oshie's defensive flaws is that he gets too deep in his own offensive zone. He often leaves his point man with a good shot. That has cost us several times this year. It is fixable. He is just trying to help, but it hurts more often than not. I am not bashing him. I'm just pointing out what I notice from an X's and O's standpoint.
Agreed. That's one of the flaws in our system IMO. We like to keep it in tight to eliminate the high percentage shots in close. Most of the time it works, but at times, and Oshie does this, players get in too tight and either allow point shots from people we don't want shooting or for the guys on the point to walk in and take those high percentage shots.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:54 PM
OCTA8ON*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
You keep regurgitating the same lines. "He's not developed his playmaking, he's not a scoring threat, blah blah." He's only two goals behind Tarasenko, and has 5 more points. He's on pace for just under 60 points. So I'd say his playmaking and vision are doing just fine. His shot is much more effective this year, and he's making some great offensive plays. Digging in the corners and stealing pucks are pretty important aspects of a game. Stewart would be well served to play more like Schwartz. Hell, I wish Schwartz had Stewart's size because he'd be an insane player. Schwartz is currently outplaying Tarasenko.
I'm not saying Schwartz isn't playing better than Tarasenko overall. I think Tarasenko is a pure goal scorer and is having to create plays on his own while Schwartz is still developing his game. Ask yourself this: if Tarasenko had been playing with Steen and Backes this entire season, wouldn't his full potential be utilized? Regarding assists, Schwartz gets a ton of secondary assists. He has one the other game against LA when Tarasenko actually did the majority of the work setting Shattenkirk up. It also doesn't help Tarasenko's lack of assists when Berglund isn't finishing anything this year either. Steen literally has 10 times as many goals as Berglund does this year. Tarasenko is doing his job as much as he can.

OCTA8ON* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:55 PM
OCTA8ON*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
No thanks.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
If you read the prior post, then you know it referred to the Anaheim game. Two plays in particular the golden boy botched up. Like it or not admit or not, he screwed up. Bring that up for a change. Stewart wasn't the problem of the last game. Give him some linemates. He scored between Steen and Backes too.
I already said he had a bad game in the prior post so I guess I did bring it up? Stewart wasn't the problem of the last game, but has he ever been the reason we won a game this year? Argue all you want about his linemates, he's not creating any chances on his own. Look at the videos of Oshie I posted, those goals were scored because of what he did and I don't care who the recipient was, Jackman could have scored 90% of those tap-ins.

Stewart doesn't create plays, and I can understand that to an extent since he's primarily a finisher, but he's not shooting the puck either. I can't remember if it was the Ducks or Isles game, but he was in the slot with a chance to shoot and he elected to pass instead.

You wanna know what's the most frustrating thing about Stewart? He's got a big frame, great speed, and above average hands, but he never uses all 3 at once. When was the last time you saw Stewart put his head down and drive the net like a power forward? Never, I've seen Schwartz do it more often than Stewart. I'm sick of watching a player with so many tools do absolutely nothing with them.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Tarasenko is the one that needs to develop his game more, not Schwartz. Both have work to do, but Schwartz is further along. That can't even be argued with.

That isn't meant to be something against Tarasenko who's overall game has improved a lot since last season.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:57 PM
OCTA8ON*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I was never talking about his point totals. I was talking about him not playing the way that makes him successful. You're right that he can't control his line mates. But he sure as hell can control the type of game he plays. He's not a perimeter player and yet that's the way he's playing this year.
Dude, I have said this like 5 times already. Stewart is HAVING to go to the perimeter because Roy can't get the puck in the corners on his own. It's such a joke when Roy goes into the corners to try to get the puck because he comes out with absolutely nothing. One moment, we all want Stewart to get open or go to the front of the net, but he is having to go into the corners because Roy can't get the puck out on his own. Watch Roy tomorrow night against the Jets. That is why Stewart is having to skate to the perimeter to do Roy's job for him.

Old
12-09-2013, 02:58 PM
mpp9

Pens will gladly take him off your hands. Would love to see him motor up ice with Sid.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:59 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Pens will gladly take him off your hands. Would love to see him motor up ice with Sid.
Doesn't Sid do best with players with high hockey sense/IQ players? I'm not sold on it being a perfect fit.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:01 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
I already said he had a bad game in the prior post so I guess I did bring it up? Stewart wasn't the problem of the last game, but has he ever been the reason we won a game this year? Argue all you want about his linemates, he's not creating any chances on his own. Look at the videos of Oshie I posted, those goals were scored because of what he did and I don't care who the recipient was, Jackman could have scored 90% of those tap-ins.

Stewart doesn't create plays, and I can understand that to an extent since he's primarily a finisher, but he's not shooting the puck either. I can't remember if it was the Ducks or Isles game, but he was in the slot with a chance to shoot and he elected to pass instead.

You wanna know what's the most frustrating thing about Stewart? He's got a big frame, great speed, and above average hands, but he never uses all 3 at once. When was the last time you saw Stewart put his head down and drive the net like a power forward? Never, I've seen Schwartz do it more often than Stewart. I'm sick of watching a player with so many tools do absolutely nothing with them.
Anyone who can set Morrow up twice for two goals in one game at this point in his slowing turtle years deserves a little credit...haha. Do you remember that game?

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Trap City

Quote:
Dude, I have said this like 5 times already. Stewart is HAVING to go to the perimeter because Roy can't get the puck in the corners on his own. It's such a joke when Roy goes into the corners to try to get the puck because he comes out with absolutely nothing. One moment, we all want Stewart to get open or go to the front of the net, but he is having to go into the corners because Roy can't get the puck out on his own. Watch Roy tomorrow night against the Jets. That is why Stewart is having to skate to the perimeter to do Roy's job for him.
And I already said that's a cop out. Stewart is the only one thy controls how he plays, especially with the puck. He won't even drive the net when he's one on one with a defenseman. That's the quintessential drive the net opportunity and he still won't take it. Quit blaming Roy for Stewart's disappearing act.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:06 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Noticed that myself. Perhaps that's why Roy keeps bouncing to the 4th line. Have to hide him somewhere.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Anyone who can set Morrow up twice for two goals in one game at this point in his slowing turtle years deserves a little credit...haha. Do you remember that game?
I do. It was a very good game by Stewart if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, Stewart hasn't had many good games this season.

Look, I get it, you like Stewart. I think he's a great locker room guy, but he doesn't do much for me when he's on the ice. I don't think he's a fit on this team and frankly, I don't see him finding success again until he puts the tools together. Maybe he turns it around this season, he's certainly a streaky player, but nothing about his play this season has given me confidence aside from the few times he screened the goalie. I'll certainly eat crow if Stewart salvages his season and starts producing, but as far as I'm concerned, at the moment he's not a player I want to see in the future of the Blues.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
I do. It was a very good game by Stewart if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, Stewart hasn't had many good games this season.

Look, I get it, you like Stewart. I think he's a great locker room guy, but he doesn't do much for me when he's on the ice. I don't think he's a fit on this team and frankly, I don't see him finding success again until he puts the tools together. Maybe he turns it around this season, he's certainly a streaky player, but nothing about his play this season has given me confidence aside from the few times he screened the goalie. I'll certainly eat crow if Stewart salvages his season and starts producing, but as far as I'm concerned, at the moment he's not a player I want to see in the future of the Blues.
That's fair enough. I think Stewart hasn't played up to what he did last year and I think the pieces he has had to play with are a burden to him. Hitch doesn't have a lot of other options to play with Morrow and Roy. He probably expected more out of Paarjavi which is why Morrow was signed so late. Neither Tarasenko or Oshie can thrive in that situation either. Stewart is the best option with those two. I don't think they scouted Roy enough knowing what type of player he is. Wouldn't be the first time the Blues didn't do their homework. He was the best option available. Hitch's line choices do spread out his talent...though a bit thin at times in my opinion.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Bluesman91

Take it to our own boards if you guys are just gonna have a pissing match over opinions. Doing this on the main boards is embarrassing.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
The only way AP is getting dealt is if we are in Philladelpha's position....out of a playoff spot.

Right now the Flyers are still in the hunt but come trade deadline time you never know, it would take more than Berglund + Stewart but not a lot more.
It would take much much more than that to get Giroux. If Pietrangelo isn't going to Philly, Giroux ain't going to St. Louis. End of story.

And why would the Flyers trade Giroux, who begins a brand new 8-year deal next year, at the trade deadline based upon one disappointing season?

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
So.........

How much for just Berglund? I've loved him since his draft year.

12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
So.........

What team is asking.

Old
12-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
So.........

A better centre.

We don't need a goalie, we don't need D, we don't need wingers and we don't need depth. I know people will come along and say that isn't realistic, and fine, but until the Blues have a better centre then we can't afford to move Berglund.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Mctitsuple

vCash: 365
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Ales Hemskey
Corey Potter

for

Bergland
Stewart
Shattenkirk

Mctitsuple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 50
I would love Stewart for Gagner, just to watch Stewart score at a 40 G pace and Stl Blues board posters heads explode al a Perron trade! That alone would be worth it

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote