HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Another NYI-ANA Goalie Deal!

Old
12-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Strickland

vCash: 500
Another NYI-ANA Goalie Deal!

At the Draft

Gibson

for

2014 First Round Pick (let's say 3rd overall)

I don't know if this is too much for the Isles, not enough for Anaheim, etc. Some of my Isles fan friends have been tossing out Strome for Gibson. To me, that's way too much. But a top three pick? One of Ekblad, Dal Colle or Reinhart?

Obviously if they pick is like eighth, it's probably not enough. But let's assume the Isles get the third overall.

(And yes, Gibson is not getting traded. Just trying to see if the value matches up.)

Strickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:07 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Seems like pretty fair value, what may cause the Ducks to say no is that it looks like they'll already have a top 10 pick in the draft courtesy of Ottawa

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:10 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
At the Draft

Gibson

for

2014 First Round Pick (let's say 3rd overall)

I don't know if this is too much for the Isles, not enough for Anaheim, etc. Some of my Isles fan friends have been tossing out Strome for Gibson. To me, that's way too much. But a top three pick? One of Ekblad, Dal Colle or Reinhart?

Obviously if they pick is like eighth, it's probably not enough. But let's assume the Isles get the third overall.

(And yes, Gibson is not getting traded. Just trying to see if the value matches up.)
Schneider on a good contract, proven in the NHL, fully developed on a good contract fetches the 9th pick last year but Gibson is somehow worth a 3rd overall pick. I don't think so.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 75
The value is there, but I would definitely prefer to hang on to Gibson. Anaheim already has two 1sts in the draft, and one of them could be pretty decent.

12-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Schneider on a good contract, proven in the NHL, fully developed on a good contract fetches the 9th pick last year but Gibson is somehow worth a 3rd overall pick. I don't think so.
Schneider is also 27. Gibson is 20, playing his first year of pro hockey, and is tearing up the AHL.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Although I wouldn't go anywhere near this, and think the OP grossly overrated Gibson's market value, I do have to point out that a top five pick in a draft this weak may actually be worth less than a 9th overall in a stronger draft.

12-09-2013, 07:15 PM
DavidBL

Quote:
Didn't NYI also send their First rounder to Buf for Vanek?

DavidBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:15 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Anaheim should consider trading Hiller to them for a second this year and a second next year. New York gets their goalie, and Anaheim gets a pick which could be close to a third 1st rounder and another one the next year. Fair deal for a goalie his caliber on a rental deal.

SeaOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Strickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBL View Post
Didn't NYI also send their First rounder to Buf for Vanek?
If it's in the top 10, they can choose to defer until 2015 when it's not protected.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMapleLeafsFTW View Post
Anaheim should consider trading Hiller to them for a second this year and a second next year. New York gets their goalie, and Anaheim gets a pick which could be close to a third 1st rounder and another one the next year. Fair deal for a goalie his caliber on a rental deal.
I don't think Anaheim can afford to trade Hiller with Fasth's health being such a big question mark.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Strickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Although I wouldn't go anywhere near this, and think the OP grossly overrated Gibson's market value, I do have to point out that a top five pick in a draft this weak may actually be worth less than a 9th overall in a stronger draft.
I'm probably dramatically overrating Gibson's value. Just want to see (a) what Ducks fans think it is and (b) what Isles fans think.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:18 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

if this were a stronger draft you might be able to talk me into it the play of andersen atleast makes it possible to see what teams would offer for gibson

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Strickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't think Anaheim can afford to trade Hiller with Fasth's health being such a big question mark.
This. Plus, why are the Isles giving up even more assets (they don't have a 2nd in 2015, it's Buffalo's) for a rental in Hiller?

Old
12-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

Quote:
Value is there, Gibson is the best goalie prospect out there.

Jot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:21 PM
DavidBL

Quote:
If it's in the top 10, they can choose to defer until 2015 when it's not protected.
I don't see how they could use the pick in a move until they know if the the pick for Vanek gets deferred because they're requirements for that to happen so until those requirements are met its this years first rounder.

DavidBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:22 PM
El Zilcho
Still mighty

Gibson's trade value is a lot lower than his actual value is to Anaheim. Gibson at 20 has a very impressive resume and has been playing incredible, and it's carried over from last season. He is seen as the goalie of the future for this team, and has franchise goalie potential. However, goalies are also a crapshoot when it comes to projecting their future and they have a low market value so it makes no sense to the ducks to trade him. It would have to be a huge overpayment.

El Zilcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Strickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBL View Post
I don't see how they could use the pick in a move until they know if the the pick for Vanek gets deferred because they're requirements for that to happen so until those requirements are met its this years first rounder.
That's why I said at the Draft and 3rd overall, meaning -- it's the Islanders, not the Sabres.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Strickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
Gibson's trade value is a lot lower than his actual value is to Anaheim. Gibson at 20 has a very impressive resume and has been playing incredible, and it's carried over from last season. He is seen as the goalie of the future for this team, and has franchise goalie potential. However, goalies are also a crapshoot when it comes to projecting their future and they have a low market value so it makes no sense to the ducks to trade him. It would have to be a huge overpayment.
Totally aware and totally agree. Was curious if Ducks fans see the third overall as enough of an overpayment.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Schneider is also 27. Gibson is 20, playing his first year of pro hockey, and is tearing up the AHL.
The AHL is not the NHL. Schneider had proven his abilities against a much high level of competition than Gibson, including the NHL playoffs.

Gibson's market value is probably closer to Bernier than Schneider.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:28 PM
El Zilcho
Still mighty

Quote:
Totally aware and totally agree. Was curious if Ducks fans see the third overall as enough of an overpayment.
As a ducks fan, I would rather keep Gibson and hope he becomes what he has the potential to be instead of Reinhart/Ekblad/Dal Colle etc.. However, MAYBE if it was top 3 next year, with McDavid, Barzal, Eichel, Hanifin and Roy all there. That's a big maybe though, at least to me personally, Gibson is one of my favourite prospects and I really don't want to lose him.

El Zilcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:28 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
I agree this is a very weak draft and the Islanders make questionable decisions. But Jason Labarbara was a world class AHL goalie and a scrub in the NHL. I'm not at all saying Gibson will turn into a Labarbara but let's see how he does when he gets some action in the NHL before we start saying he's worth a top 5 pick at an NHL draft, regardless of how weak the draft class is.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Value is there. But I want to keep Gibson regardless.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree this is a very weak draft and the Islanders make questionable decisions. But Jason Labarbara was a world class AHL goalie and a scrub in the NHL. I'm not at all saying Gibson will turn into a Labarbara but let's see how he does when he gets some action in the NHL before we start saying he's worth a top 5 pick at an NHL draft, regardless of how weak the draft class is.
Oh, I agree, about the value.

But, I don't think it is the same with Gibson and a bazillion other AHL goalies who have been successful at that level. Unlike a Labarbara, Gibson has a history of being a strong prospect that dates back to his junior years. He is on a much steeper trajectory.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
The AHL is not the NHL. Schneider had proven his abilities against a much high level of competition than Gibson, including the NHL playoffs.

Gibson's market value is probably closer to Bernier than Schneider.
Gibson also helped the US win gold in the World Championships.

Old
12-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Exit Dose

I don't really see either team doing this. Gibson doesn't really mend anything in Brooklyn just yet, and Anaheim isn't really a team that needs to stock up.

As an aside, I feel we'd have to add to Gibson to get that high of a pick.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote