HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Man...for all of the excitement that was generated by that Friedman news about Kulikov, this thread kind of died in terms of having speculative news to discuss...

Makes me sad.
Speaking of speculation, I have a bit of an alternate take on what Roy and Sakic may be planning. A lot of possible scenarios don't seem to mesh well with what seem like their preferences, so maybe we've been looking at things the wrong way. A few things first of all.

Roy seems to like Staz a lot, and his game seems like one that Sakic would love as well. Roy also seems to really like O'Reilly, and he's proven to be a great fit on the wing.

Roy also seems to keep wanting to try MacKinnon on the wing. Trying to work him in with either Duchene or Stastny.

The rumor for moving McGinn involved either a D man, or a winger more suited to a defensive checking role as the return. They already have Talbot, that would be adding another traditional 3rd liner for that line. If that was indeed what they were looking at, it sure doesn't seem like they had long term plans to play Staz or Nate with two checkers.

I think Roy wants to both keep Stastny AND have a more traditional top and bottom two lines. As much as I didn't think it would happen earlier in the season, I'm starting to think maybe PAP might be on his way out, and Tanguay will slide into his role, and Nate will slide into RW with Staz and Landy.

This seems to solve a lot of their problems and prevents certain downsides to things. They'd keep both O'Reilly and Stastny, AND prevent the long term ice time/role issues with a 3 line appraoch with Duchene, Staz, and MacKinnon by moving Nate over to the RW full time.

Between now and the start of next season I could see both PAP and McGinn being shipped out, and a D and more traditional 3rd line winger and 3rd line center brought in.

I'll take a stab at a hypothetical.

O'Reilly - Dutchy - Tanguay
Landy - Staz - MacKinnon
Ott - Matthias - Talbot
McLeod - Cliche - Bordy

Hejda - EJ
Kulikov - Guenin
Benoit - Sarich

Old
12-10-2013, 01:39 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
I pretty much agree with that, though I still think Roy wants MacKinnon long term at center. Right now he's outgrown his third line center role. I don't know what is going to happen with a full lineup. I just don't see him back with Mitchell and Talbot, though I do think Talbot was brought in to help MacKinnon. Roy was rewarding MacKinnon with more ice time for playing well. He had over 19 minutes in the last game, I just don't see him going back to 14-15 minutes. I know that means someone else is going to have to play wing, Stastny maybe. Or I could see Stastny anchoring PA and McGinn. Or maybe Roy figures if MacKinnon needs more time he's just going to have to play wing this year. Long term it will have to get sorted out. I thought Stastny's comments to the DP were interesting. He sees himself as more of a two way center and likes how Roy is playing with the lines. I agree PA might have to go if another team wants him in return in the right deal.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Cullen Bohannon

Been saying it for awhile now, PAP and McGinn are our two most valuable trading chips. The fact that they don't seem to fit in Roy's system at all only confirms my belief that we're going to see at least one of them get shipped off sometime soon.

PAP can very easily return a solid top-4 D-man due to his first line capabilities and very cap-friendly contract.

I'd be interested to see them make a run at Kulemin in July, he would be the perfect 3rd liner for Roy's system, especially ever since he's improved his defensive plays a ton and plays lots of PK minutes, but can also effectively be called upon to fill a top-6 role in pinch.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:18 AM
zxcvnm

From a pure value standpoint, is Stastny+PAP for Oshie+Berglund reasonable?

Old
12-10-2013, 05:55 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvnm View Post
i would want more, and i think avs could get more. so no.

and no way i'd want to give blues stastny.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
Quote:
How about PAP for Oshie?

Old
12-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Mifroid

I'd do PAP + Staz VS Oshie + Berglund I think.

O'Reilly - Duchene - Oshie
Landeskog - Mackinnon - Tanguay
McGinn - Berglund - Talbot

Old
12-10-2013, 07:27 AM
hattrick3518

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuras View Post
How about PAP for Oshie?
1000x yes!

ROR-Dutch-Oshie

or

Landy-Staz-Oshie

both would wreak havoc

Old
12-10-2013, 08:03 AM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
Signing a forward such as a Callahan or Setoguchi would be nice but doesn't seem to make sense. Why trade Downie after all? Only to bid on someone as a ufa?
Downie was traded before the cap announcement was made, but I don't think Roy liked the penalties Downie took nor did Downie contribute much defensively so I doubt he'd have stayed after this year anyway.

Seto is more of a goal scorer and less playmaker than Downie from what I've seen, and the Avs are heavy on passers as it is.

Callahan is a leader which Roy seems to target and can play very solid defense and still bring offense. A Tanguay/Landeskog-Stastny-Callahan line would be very solid on both ends. I can't imagine he'll be leaving NYR though.

edit: Oshie won't be leaving StL. I wish, but it would cost more than PAP, or even PAP+Stastny. In a vacuum maybe, the value is there, He's their Landeskog type player. Face of the team and a good fit for the system.

Last edited by AslanRH: 12-10-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old
12-10-2013, 08:05 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
I think Downie was more of a character decision than a financial decision. The Avs won't spend the cap next year so I don't think the cap going up has a big impact on Colorado's plans.

Old
12-10-2013, 08:25 AM
CobraAcesS

Just a thought about Wilson & Kulikov.

If there was any fire to that smoke, wouldn't it make more sense for the trade to happen once Wilson was cleared to play?

I thought I seen somewhere that Wilson could be cleared later this week around Thursday. It's pretty unusual for players to be traded while their still injured as well.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:06 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I remember Roy saying Wilson's timetable was indefinite because he had to get back into super shape. Now he might return this week ahead of Tanguay? Seems a bit fishy.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:15 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
I remember Roy saying Wilson's timetable was indefinite because he had to get back into super shape. Now he might return this week ahead of Tanguay? Seems a bit fishy.
They can keep him on the roster as a scratch, but can they really keep him on IR regardless of his medical health?

I don't think the doctors take his fitness level into account when evaluating his injury status IMO.

I fully expected him to be a scratch for a week or so even after having been cleared to play, but not at this point. I think he's either used in a trade or brought back into the lineup.

His name being used in trade rumors while hes on IR is interesting. All of the sudden there is speculation as to the trade falling through? I'd imagine it's more realistic that if there was a trade it was discussed and then put on hold until hes cleared medically.

Personally I'll be curious to see if anything happens at the end of this week, Thursday or Friday. Until then I can't help but wonder if Wilson's injury status is the only thing holding them back.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I don't think there is a rule about taking players off IR. They can practice and travel with teams while on IR, what's the incentive to taking them off IR just to scratch them? Heck, even players can get sent to the AHL for conditioning stints, right? If anyone wanted to argue it they'd just say it was part of his injury rehab and prevention.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:24 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
I don't think there is a rule about taking players off IR. They can practice and travel with teams while on IR, what's the incentive to taking them off IR just to scratch them? Heck, even players can get sent to the AHL for conditioning stints, right?
I thought that was after they were cleared to play, not while on IR. You can't just keep a player on IR for however long you want. There has to be rules about that, or it would be done a hell of a lot more often.

There would never be issues that arise from 'having to make a roster decision' when so and so comes off of IR.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:27 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Most teams want to use their players on IR, so it probably doesn't come up that much. Sure I can see a problem if they just leave him there for months but with Wilson's injury history I don't think it's breaking any rules to keep him on IR an extra week or two as part of his injury rehab. Heck, a lot of teams are throwing any injured player into LTIR so they can even afford their call ups and there isn't any recourse there. It's the team that would clear him to play so if they don't want to take him off IR then they don't clear him.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:32 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
I would take that. Doubt STL does it though.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:42 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Posted this in GDT but...

Scouts at tonight's game:

Two from Tampa
Calgary
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Pittsburgh
Montreal
And USA Hockey is here to scout as well.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Crisp Breakout

Looks like we've solved the Montreal scouting mystery. Scott Masters, the Montreal scout, used to be a Colorado scout and his linkedin still lists him as living in the Denver area.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Pittsburgh has been scouting the Avs a lot as well.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Pittsburgh has been scouting the Avs a lot as well.
Crosby wants to play with Duchene and Mackinnon

Old
12-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

If it's the same Scotty Masters who played at AHA when I was there he grew up in Arvada. It sure looks like the same guy.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post

Looks like we've solved the Montreal scouting mystery. Scott Masters, the Montreal scout, used to be a Colorado scout and his linkedin still lists him as living in the Denver area.

Wasn't Masters our video coach? I seem to remember him coming in in either '11 or '12.'
Never knew he left the organization.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:54 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post

Why can't they post this for every game. Why can't dater post this?

Old
12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Why can't they post this for every game. Why can't dater post this?
Because Dater has no clue what happens with the Avs or in the NHL...

Closed Thread