HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Jets/Giants Playoff GDT

Old
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
TheRedressor

vCash: 500
what a shocker, they are both out.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFan35 View Post
Eagles Suck

Patriots Suck.
But apparently less so than other teams we might name.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
This thread was short lived.
Well I think 99% of us were watching the game and drinkin some beers with the boys...not sitting on the computer

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Well I think 99% of us were watching the game and drinkin some beers with the boys...not sitting on the computer
Yes...but the thread was still short lived since both teams were eliminated 24 hours after the thread was made.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Fletch

That's just too bad...

was pulling for both NY teams. Thought Eli could've played a bit better and be the difference (so could've others, but he is the chosen one). What's forgotten about the Giants at times is that Carter is their third best receiver (second best wide receiver) - that's tough to deal with, but Manning needs to make better decisions irregardless. Good step forward for him given the previous two months though - there's still hope.

That late interception by Chad was the back-breaker. Their running game (or lack thereof) killed them today. Great story though. Rookie coach, comeback player. Played out nicely.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I was working

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 06:26 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
What's forgotten about the Giants at times is that Carter is their third best receiver (second best wide receiver) - that's tough to deal with, but Manning needs to make better decisions irregardless. Good step forward for him given the previous two months though - there's still hope.
I think the Giants need to realize that the Carter they drafted was a 4.3 forty yard dash deep threat receiver. The injuries have taken their toll.

Demps, Madison and McQwarters (don't care about the spelling) rate right up there with Kamensky, Ulanov and Karpa as god-awful free agent signings.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
was pulling for both NY teams. Thought Eli could've played a bit better and be the difference (so could've others, but he is the chosen one). What's forgotten about the Giants at times is that Carter is their third best receiver (second best wide receiver) - that's tough to deal with, but Manning needs to make better decisions irregardless. Good step forward for him given the previous two months though - there's still hope.
Well, Manning did engineer a pretty good drive to even the score. 1st and 30 isn't easy...but it was too little too late, and the Giants D can't come up big at all.

Though I'm not really complaining, I'm actually an Eagles fan for some odd reason

Honestly, I was an Eagles fan when I grew up in Idaho and Utah, what the hell? It makes no sense and infuriates peoples East coast sense of rivalries

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 09:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I think the Giants need to realize that the Carter they drafted was a 4.3 forty yard dash deep threat receiver. The injuries have taken their toll.

Demps, Madison and McQwarters (don't care about the spelling) rate right up there with Kamensky, Ulanov and Karpa as god-awful free agent signings.
Agree all the way around. One disagreement I think McQuarters is OK. Not as a punt returner but he was decent. Only guy in the secondary with hands and a nose for the ball.

01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Agree all the way around. One disagreement I think McQuarters is OK. Not as a punt returner but he was decent. Only guy in the secondary with hands and a nose for the ball.
Nickle or dime back (actually that's what he was signed as).

Can't remember his name, but there was a kid who got put on IR in pre-season who looked pretty good.

Hey, at least Eli looked okay in the last drive. He's gonna have to do some soul-searching. I can live with his inaccuracy, buy there's no excuse for his jitters. No excuse for his body language. Sure doesn't inspire the troops.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Nickle or dime back (actually that's what he was signed as).

Can't remember his name, but there was a kid who got put on IR in pre-season who looked pretty good.

Hey, at least Eli looked okay in the last drive. He's gonna have to do some soul-searching. I can live with his inaccuracy, buy there's no excuse for his jitters. No excuse for his body language. Sure doesn't inspire the troops.
I think Eli needs someone to come in and create a system that gives him the best chance to succeed. Simplify things. Utililize his strenghts. If that means going no-huddle, so be it.

Mangini created a system where Chad could be successful. Ditto Brady in NE. I don't think anyone has done that for Eli.

What I'm tired of hearing from Eli is "I'm still learning". He's been a starter for two and a half seasons. It's time to step up.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Giants - Defense was surprisingly subpar this year. Injuries yes, but so did the Eagles, no? The offense looked fine, good enough to win no doubt. My only problem was Tiki only had 2 receptions in that game when they couldve used him for short passes to maybe change up the passing game a bit.

Jets - Still not sold on their RB by committee. This was a good year for the young team, hopefully next few seasons will build on this one.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Giants - Defense was surprisingly subpar this year. Injuries yes, but so did the Eagles, no? The offense looked fine, good enough to win no doubt. My only problem was Tiki only had 2 receptions in that game when they couldve used him for short passes to maybe change up the passing game a bit.
I think the defense was what I expected it to be. I was sure that Arrington would not play a full season. Losing Strahan hurt and Umenyiora did not step up. Besides Pierce the Giants linebackers are all below average. The secondary is a mess. Demps was a huge disappointment. Webster needs to stay healthy. Wilson is half the player he was as a rookie. Madison is done (I was in Florida when the Giants signed him and the Miami papers were mocking the signing).

Coughline kept Jenkins over Ponder yet never used him.

He did not use Jacobs enough. I can't believe that nobody could concoct a formation where Tiki and Jacobs were in the game at the same time. And you're right they didn't throw the ball to Tiki enough (remember when they would line him up as a WR?)

The biggest issue is Coughlin never made any adjustments whatsoever. He didn't adjust to injuries. He didn't adjust to teams keying on Tiki (and you know they were going to). He never made adjustments to how bad this team was on 3rd down on both sides of the ball. He never made an adjustment in his attitude to how he treated players (and his gestures, postures and lack of composure on the sideline is nothing short of disgraceful).

Old
01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The biggest issue is Coughlin never made any adjustments whatsoever. He didn't adjust to injuries. He didn't adjust to teams keying on Tiki (and you know they were going to). He never made adjustments to how bad this team was on 3rd down on both sides of the ball. He never made an adjustment in his attitude to how he treated players (and his gestures, postures and lack of composure on the sideline is nothing short of disgraceful).
Yeah, i'm not a fan either, but the point is moot, who do you see them hiring?

Old
01-08-2007, 12:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, i'm not a fan either, but the point is moot, who do you see them hiring?
1) I'm not sold on the fact that Coughlin is going to be fired.

2) I really can't venture a guess as it will depend on who the new GM is.

Old
01-08-2007, 12:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
what a shocker, they are both out.
yeah, huge surprise. I'm glad this Giants season is over.

Im incredibly sick of seeing Tom Coughlin's squinting-constipated-annoyed look on his face every weekend. Enough.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Strange odor?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/08/nyc.odor/index.html

Come on, it's simple, the Jets and Giants just got back into town.....

Old
01-08-2007, 03:05 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Im a casual football fan of both NY teams, leaning towards the Jets more, but every year its the same finish.

One team makes the playoffs going 11-5 or 10-6, other the exact opposite and misses the playoffs. Either way, both teams can never make it past the Divisional (2nd) round to save their lives. I know the Giants did it in 00 I think when they went to the Super Bowl but besides that nothing since 1990 for them. Lets not even talk about the Jets.

I wish there was just one year where the Jets went 14-2 or something and you turned on the TV or Radio and everyone was talking in fear of the team. Im so used to the Super Bowl without a NY team I could barely even imagine what it would be like if one of the local franchises was bidding for the title. And no, for some reason I cant remember I didnt watch the Giants-Ravens Super Bowl in 2000.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 03:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think the Jets RB by committee will work fine, so long as they add another runner. I've heard conflicting reports on Julius Jones- that Dallas wants to keep him, and that Dallas wants Barber as their feature back and may cut ties with Jones. If that's the case, I'd love for the Jets to bring him in. He's not big, but he's a pretty powerful runner and can be dangerous between the tackles. Give him the ball fifteen times game and then mix in screens and tosses to Leon Washington and I think you have a very dangerous backfield, particularly in two-back sets. They need an upgrade at FB as neither Hodgins nor Askew are NFL-caliber starters. I am intrigued by Stacey Tutt, who has great size and excellent character.

I think the Jets also need to draft a DE high on day one. Von Oelhoffen simply didn't produce on the field, and in a 3-4, any weak link up front severely inhibits the impact the linebackers can have on the game. I'd prefer a big, run-stuffing DE, or potentially drafting a run-stopping NT and switching Robertson to the edge. I have no problem with our linebackers. Jon Vilma is ill-suited for the 3-4, and swapping him for a bigger LB or draft pick might be wise. I know he's a key player for the Jets, but we need more production in terms of FF, Sacks, Passes Defended, etc...

Erik Coleman's rookie season may have been an aberration. He's decent in coverage, but missed key tackles all season long and had little impact in terms of causing turnovers. He's not a huge weakness in the secondary, but an upgrade wouldn't hurt. He may be better suited as a nickel or dime back, IMO. Miller played better as the season went on, and I have high hopes for him in the future. Dyson was solid, though he did give up some big plays. I'd like David Barrett to be cut, as he's overpaid and doesn't bring a whole lot in terms of coverage skills.

The Jets need a mauler on the right side of the O-line. I'll **** myself if we go into next season with Anthony Clement at RT. He's got size, but he's not very mobile and struggled against some of the better ends this season. Brick and Nick were both excellent all season, though Brick struggled against the Pats. I think they'll be great for a long time to come. Glad to hear that Kendall wants to come back.

Coles and Cotchery were fantastic this season. Neither of them strike me as true number one receivers, but they both produced like top-flight wideouts this season. I can only imagine a fully recovered Chad will have even better chemistry with them next season. McCareins has to go. He was our only deep threat this season, but he still drops too many passes and has too pricey of a contract to keep around. Deep threat wide receivers can be found throughout FA on the cheap and in the lower rounds of the draft. I'd like to see what type of skills Wallace Wright has, as he really impressed me with his attitude and hustle this year. Baker is solid, and it seems like when the Jets focus on getting him the ball he makes big plays. I wouldn't mind taking a pure pass catching TE on day one, as I like big two-TE sets with the type of players the Jets have on offense.

Chad, what can I say. The guy will never be a top-5 QB in this league, but he knows how to lead a team and manage a game. His INTs were too frequent this season, but I think that's a fluke and more a result of him trying to do too much sometimes. He runs the play fake better than anyone not named Peyton, and has a knack for making big throws on third down. His arm strength is obviously lacking, but too much is made of that- there are guys out there with huge arms but no touch, and guys who cannot make the easy throws because they're always beaming the football around. I'm happy to have him on my team, and think he'll have a tremendous year next season.

I'm proud of what the Jets accomplished this season, and hope they can continue to play well under Mangini. Next season's schedule is much tougher, though these Jets seem like they're always capable of hanging with the big boys. I cannot wait for next season .

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Im a casual football fan of both NY teams, leaning towards the Jets more, but every year its the same finish.

One team makes the playoffs going 11-5 or 10-6, other the exact opposite and misses the playoffs. Either way, both teams can never make it past the Divisional (2nd) round to save their lives. I know the Giants did it in 00 I think when they went to the Super Bowl but besides that nothing since 1990 for them. Lets not even talk about the Jets.

I wish there was just one year where the Jets went 14-2 or something and you turned on the TV or Radio and everyone was talking in fear of the team. Im so used to the Super Bowl without a NY team I could barely even imagine what it would be like if one of the local franchises was bidding for the title. And no, for some reason I cant remember I didnt watch the Giants-Ravens Super Bowl in 2000.
The Giants in 2000 were a surprise, but the Raven's defense was just dominant. The Ravens won every game that year when they scored 7 points or more.

But when the Giants won back in the late 80's/early 90's, the City went crazy for 'em.

I'm a Jets fan, and if they keep on building on this past years success and add a piece or two they could be legit and have a 14-2 type season soon. Then again, i've been a Jet fan way too long to be that optimistic.

Old
01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Jets nearly acquired Jones during the second day of the 2006 draft.Adam Schein keeps bringing up Michael Turner as a possibilty for the Jets RB solution.He will be a restricted free agent so they will have give up an asset or assets to get him.Brian Schottenheimer is very familiar with Turner from SD.The Jets do have the Redskins second round pick-#37 to go along with their late first round pick

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 04:42 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I give the Giants credit for playing hard, but the defense really fell apart with the injuries of Arrington and Strahan. I think McQuarters and Demps are worth keeping but Madison was a huge bust.

On offense, we have to get some receiver help. Burress is great but we need another weapon at wideout because otherwise he is just going to get smothered in every game. Whether Toomer can come back at 100% I don't know.

But obviously, running back will be the key position. I think Jacobs is good enough to be the number one even though Coughlin inexplicably gave up on him over the final few weeks (you're telling me he couldn't have punched the ball in from the 10 yard line on all those 1st&goal situations yesterday?). I would still like to see another running back signed or drafted as insurance, but I have confidence in Jacobs.

As for Eli...well, some quarterbacks take longer to progress than others. Quarterbacks are alot like goalies in that sometimes they don't peak until their late 20's...of course, other times that doesn't matter at all (see Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning as examples) but I am not even close to giving up on him yet. I thought he handled that final drive well (although most of the credit goes to Burress) but he just needs to settle down a bit and find more consistency.

And finally, as for Coughlin..get him out of here. I am tired of his act. It's always someone else's fault - the media, the players - why can't he take any blame for giving up on Jacobs, having a confusing gameplan that makes us use up all our timeouts early in the half..this stuff has got to stop. I don't want him back.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
hockeyfrenchfan

Send a message via MSN to hockeyfrenchfan
what is the team with more fans ?

who are the fans of the teams ? are the jets more popular ?

hockeyfrenchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
I think the Jets fans are a little rowdier, we know how to handle losing because we have had so much practice. uhhhhhhhh and dont mention the names rich kotite or doug brien....yuuuck.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 07:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfrenchfan View Post
what is the team with more fans ?

who are the fans of the teams ? are the jets more popular ?
The Giants have the greater number of fans.They have been around much longer than the Jets.The Giants have more of an older crowd.Their season ticket waiting list is so long.The tickets are passed down to other family members.Another problem is the Jets are a Long Island based team which plays their games in New Jersey.It's been that way for 22 years.The Jets play in Giants Stadium which is a joke.The Jets and Giants are building a new stadium together near the current stadium where both teams play.The Jets are moving their entire operation to New Jersey.The team played in NJ but the training facilty/offices were on Long Island.The Jets wanted to build a new stadium on the west side of Mahattan but the politicians shot it down.Too much public money was going to be used to build the new stadium.The Jets will never have their own identity sharing a stadium with the Giants...

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote