HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor- Van

Old
12-10-2013, 03:04 PM
mhstudios

vCash: 500
Tor- Van

There are rumors that Toronto doesn't want to give the Money that Dion is asking for and there is word that they meant trade him. There is also word that Vancouver is interested and I thought of a deal around theses two teams

To Toronto

Alex Elder

To Vancouver

Dion Phaneuf

what do you think guys?

mhstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

Toronto declines.

Phaneuf is too important to this team. This trade would make Toronto significantly worse.

Also with the salary going up, i don't think resigning Dion would be a problem.

Jot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moore Money

Edler will be traded for a forward if he's traded. he's also worth a lot more than UFA Dion.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

why would Vancouver be interested in Phaneuf? 5 top 4 defensemen already and arguably a #1 and 2 #2/3 defensemen. Also, Edler is just as good as Phaneuf and already signed long term for cheap, I doubt Phaneuf would be interested in a 6 year 5 million per deal, also the Canucks can't take on any cap.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:08 PM
nucksauce

Can we agree that these two teams can not be trading partners as long as Nonis and MG are the gms

nucksauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

I'd pass. Would be lateral at best (although i think Dion is a little better defensively this year). I would be willing to offer Lupul for Edler or Tanev+.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Pass. Phaneuf is better.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

I don't understand why the Canucks would do this unless Toronto is adding. The two players are equal but one is signed to a good contract while the other one is a UFA who will likely ask for the moon.

Lupul
Phaneuf

for

Edler

Kirk Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mclean View Post
I don't understand why the Canucks would do this unless Toronto is adding. The two players are equal but one is signed to a good contract while the other one is a UFA who will likely ask for the moon.

Lupul
Phaneuf

for

Edler
Wow...why the Hell would the Leafs do this?? Phaneuf is having a good/very good season. By alot of Nuck's fans own admition, Edler is not playing well this season. Yet we will trade Lupul and Phaneuf for him??

Old
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhstudios View Post
There are rumors that Toronto doesn't want to give the Money that Dion is asking for and there is word that they meant trade him. There is also word that Vancouver is interested and I thought of a deal around theses two teams

To Toronto

Alex Elder

To Vancouver

Dion Phaneuf

what do you think guys?
Please provide a source for this. As far as I'm concerned this is very inaccurate.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 64
Quote:

Lupul
Phaneuf

for

Edler
you're drunk, go home.

Yeah, let's trade our ppg winger (plays ppg for ~60 games) and a #1 Dman who averages 24 mins (almost 4 mins pk) for a defenseman who has less points, less pk time per game, less toi (not a lot, but he does play ~1 min less per game).
Why? Because Phaneuf's a FA and Edler isn't... Before this year, most vancouver vans had Edler as their 3rd best dman (behind Hamhuis/Garrison) and this year he's still not Vancouver's undisputed #1.

Edler's 4th on his team in PK toi, 2nd for EVS toi. Phaneuf is 1st on pk toi and 2nd on EVS TOI. Phaneuf is much more important to the Leafs than Edler is. With the contracts I'd say their values aren't too far off... As for adding Lupul to the deal, ha!

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Gerbefied
Save Us Tierney!

vCash: 571
Quote:

Lupul
Phaneuf

for

Edler
#1 dman + top 6 winger

For

overrated #3 dman

Makes complete sense. If I was Toronto I wouldn't do Edler for Phaneuf straight up...

Gerbefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:41 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot View Post
Toronto declines.

Phaneuf is too important to this team. This trade would make Toronto significantly worse.

Also with the salary going up, i don't think resigning Dion would be a problem.
do you even watch hockey? Edler is the better dman and signed to a sweetheart deal.

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:43 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:

Lupul
Phaneuf

for

Edler
I know this gets thrown around a lot, but this is probably the worst proposal I have ever seen on HFBoards

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTheGinge View Post
#1 dman + top 6 winger

For

overrated #3 dman

Makes complete sense. If I was Toronto I wouldn't do Edler for Phaneuf straight up...
I do love how Edler is not only a #3 defenseman, but an overrated one too. Meanwhile, Phaneuf is definitely 100% #1.

I would probably give the edge to Phaneuf right now, but both are near the same marker in terms of ranking. That being said, this whole scenario makes no season for either team.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
do you even watch hockey? Edler is the better dman and signed to a sweetheart deal.
Phaneuf is a #1 dman, playing his best defensive hockey of his career.

Edler is struggling right now.

My point stands.

Old
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

if the "rumour" is true then Toronto would do this easily, they get another 6 years of a defenseman who is arguably just as good for a guy that Nonis was about to let go for cheaper per year

assuming that Nonis is going to let Phaneuf walk, he would definitely be interested in a swap for Edler, who's "better" doesn't even enter the equation, he's getting a top pairing defenseman for free if he was gonna let Phaneuf walk

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
if the "rumour" is true then Toronto would do this easily, they get another 6 years of a defenseman who is arguably just as good for a guy that Nonis was about to let go for cheaper per year

assuming that Nonis is going to let Phaneuf walk, he would definitely be interested in a swap for Edler, who's "better" doesn't even enter the equation, he's getting a top pairing defenseman for free if he was gonna let Phaneuf walk
It's not, the only thing anybody has heard is that the debate is between 6,7, or 8 years... the price-range is in the expected 7m range and Leaf fans are fine with that. Obviously things could change, but at the moment there is nothing to support what the OP said.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Shorthander

The only "interest" the Canucks have in Phaneuf is getting him back in the West so they can victimize him routinely like they did when he was a Flame

Shorthander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Gerbefied
Save Us Tierney!

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I do love how Edler is not only a #3 defenseman, but an overrated one too. Meanwhile, Phaneuf is definitely 100% #1.

I would probably give the edge to Phaneuf right now, but both are near the same marker in terms of ranking. That being said, this whole scenario makes no season for either team.
Look at how he plays and look at the stats. Have you watched Edler this year? He looks lost on the ice and his +- is almost as low as Yakupov. The oilers and islanders are the only teams he'd be a #1 on...

Gerbefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Nazemlupul

I rather have Phaneuf, respectfully decline

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTheGinge View Post
Look at how he plays and look at the stats. Have you watched Edler this year? He looks lost on the ice and his +- is almost as low as Yakupov. The oilers and islanders are the only teams he'd be a #1 on...
This year, yes. Edler has struggled notably. That being said both Phaneuf and Edler's careers have been mired by repeated and arguably long bouts of inconsistency. My point of contention was not who's better - I gave Phaneuf the edge right now because he is playing better. But that you cited Edler as an overrated #3. That's more Luke Schenn or Josh Gorges level.

Even when playing badly, Edler is a #2 guy at absolute worst.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot View Post
Phaneuf is a #1 dman, playing his best defensive hockey of his career.

Edler is struggling right now.

My point stands.
Best defensive hockey of his career ?? Are the Leafs not last in the leauge in shot's against, if it was not for the Reimer and Bernier things would be alot worse this season for Leaf nation. Edler and Phaneuf are pretty close in value (even with Edler's rough season so far), Edler is better defensively and Phaneuf has a better offensive game. The tie breaker is Edler's sweetheart deal compared to what Dion will want. I'd take Edler.

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
Best defensive hockey of his career ?? Are the Leafs not last in the leauge in shot's against, if it was not for the Reimer and Bernier things would be alot worse this season for Leaf nation. Edler and Phaneuf are pretty close in value (even with Edler's rough season so far), Edler is better defensively and Phaneuf has a better offensive game. The tie breaker is Edler's sweetheart deal compared to what Dion will want. I'd take Edler.
Watch the leafs play more. After Phaneuf and Gunnarsson, our depth plummets.

Most goals are being scored while the top pairing is off the ice.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
Yup....wanna know why? Because we are rolling with Mark "stonehands" Fraser, Paul "i haven't played NHL hockey in 5 years" Ranger, Cody "i'm so confused" Franson and now we've called up JML. We've had a 1st year rookie in Rielly playing as well. Phaneuf has been our clear best defenseman....the ONLY other bright spots have been Gunnar and (only recently) Gardiner.